New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default advice on a possible problem.

okay. this is going to be in a while but I need some advice. my relatives kind of want to play an evil campaign after this one we're currently in is over. I would honestly not care too much if they could be mature about it. however I suspect this one specific one won't be. I may just be thinking too much into it but he seemed to really like the idea of an evil campaign. and he's playing a bard which I'm pretty sure means he isn't going to take this game seriously.(nothing wrong with bards. just the way he said it) Is there something I can do so that he actually takes the game seriously? short of running the party through the tomb of horrors.

this will be either 3.5 or 4.0. has not yet been determined.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: advice on a possible problem.

Don't cut him any breaks and do not be afraid to make npcs do their worst. If you are playing an evil campaign, make it freakin evil! They'll learn to take it seriously or die.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theburningfield View Post
    okay. this is going to be in a while but I need some advice. my relatives kind of want to play an evil campaign after this one we're currently in is over. I would honestly not care too much if they could be mature about it. however I suspect this one specific one won't be. I may just be thinking too much into it but he seemed to really like the idea of an evil campaign. and he's playing a bard which I'm pretty sure means he isn't going to take this game seriously.(nothing wrong with bards. just the way he said it) Is there something I can do so that he actually takes the game seriously? short of running the party through the tomb of horrors.

this will be either 3.5 or 4.0. has not yet been determined.
    Talk up front with each player as to what they want in the campaign and their character.

As for the evil bard, there is nothing that says that evil and comic don't go together. The Joker is funny. So is Spike from Buffy, Belkar from OotS. But there are many other versions of this trope...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../LaughablyEvil
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../EvillyAffable
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AffablyEvil
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...atheticVillain
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ificentBastard
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...Main.Trickster
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Any party, especially an evil party, needs a reason to stick together. I found that out the hard way. after one plot arc the characters all stabbed each other in the back.

If someone doesn't take your game seriously, strongly consider not playing with them. If your friends don't like dnd or play it well, don't force yourself to hang out with them by playing DnD. Find something fun to do.

Plyaing DnD is fun, hanging with Friends is fun, but if one needs the other to be fun, just cut the pretense and have your friends over. or ditch the losers and play online.
    Perfectly sane, for a given definiton of sanity.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

If they misbehave, send lawful good adventurers after the group. If they light every ophan in sight on fire, send lots of LG adventurers after them. Punish them for their evil deeds. When they TPK, explain that it's their own fault and start a new game.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    If they misbehave, send lawful good adventurers after the group. If they light every ophan in sight on fire, send lots of LG adventurers after them. Punish them for their evil deeds. When they TPK, explain that it's their own fault and start a new game.
    right, completely right

but remember, their are three different Evils (CE, NE, LE), so the party may, have different ideas of what is "evil" for example the and LE rouge might sneak past someone and pickpocket them, while CE might sneak attack them then take their stuff,,

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

There's nothing inherently wrong with a player not taking a game seriously. There's nothing inherently wrong with a villain who refuses to take anything seriously. This could be disruptive, but it doesn't have to be. And I'd think that disruptive party members would be less of a potential problem in an evil game, frankly, where it's acceptable for the rest of the party to kill a guy if he bothers them too much.

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Punish them for their evil deeds. When they TPK, explain that it's their own fault and start a new game.
    I disagree. If you don't want to run an evil game, don't run one. If you do want to run an evil game, you should make some evil deeds possible to get away with.

Quote Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    but remember, their are three different Evils (CE, NE, LE), so the party may, have different ideas of what is "evil" for example the and LE rouge might sneak past someone and pickpocket them, while CE might sneak attack them then take their stuff,,
    I see subtlety as being more Neutral (with actually following rules and openly breaking rules being Lawful and Chaotic respectively).
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.