New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Stupid question: Thunderlance spell

Seeing as the Thunderlance (SC 220) can be held in one hand, and for all intents and purposes seems to function effectively as a melee weapon, would you say you could cast another one in your off-hand?

It doesn't seem *ridiculous*. I'd say dangerously cheesy at worst.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stupid question: Thunderlance spell

I don't have my books at the moment, but if thunderlance actually creates a lance, I'd say no; they can be wielded one-handed while mounted but are still two-handed weapons, so no dual-wielding lances.

If it's just a generic force weapon, all bets are off.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

The thunderlance creates a "spearlike beam" and the description refers to it as a "staff or spear", and you can wield it in either one or two hands, per the spell. So yes, you could dual-wield them, though I don't see why you'd want to, as TWF wastes feats, and two-handed you don't have the BAB to PA anyways. It's not as devastating as you'd think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

yes you could have two lances.
    remember though its rounds per level... even when you get the spell it will only last for 7 or so rounds.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    the description refers to it as a "staff or spear", and you can wield it in either one or two hands, per the spell.
    Staff or spear, huh? I suppose thunderstaff was perceived as innuendo....

In that case, yes you can dual-wield...but you probably shouldn't. Leave it to the fighters like Flickerdart said, (not literally giving them the weapon, of course), though I suppose a wand or staff of thunderlance for the martial types to UMD might not be a bad idea.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think the thunderlance counts as a light weapon - the description doesn't say explicitly, but I infer from "you can wield a thunderlance in one or two hands" that it's a one-handed weapon - so you'd most likely be taking some hefty penalties for wielding one in your off hand (-6/-10 to hit if you've got none of the relevant feats). Might still be worth it for the extra 3d6 damage against things with poor AC, particularly if you've got the TWF feat, but it's not exactly brokenly good. I don't see any rules-, balance-, or common-sense-based reason not to allow it.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Forget TWF, use it two-handed to get x1.5 your Int or Cha bonus to damage, and be sure to get Combat Reflexes, possibly via casting Heroics, since it has a 20 ft. reach. Go Incantatrix and Persist it, or DMM: Persist it with Greater Anyspell, and be sure to buff it with GMW. Best two handed weapon in the game.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

There are a bunch of different spells that create powerful magic weapons, available to anyone with the right feat, class, or UMD by mid levels. Holy Sword and Flame Blade come to mind. Given how expensive magic weapons are, it would be a good tactic to rely on spells to make them. Of course, most of them have a 1 round per level duration, so you better hope that you're not surprised.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    There are a bunch of different spells that create powerful magic weapons, available to anyone with the right feat, class, or UMD by mid levels. Holy Sword and Flame Blade come to mind. Given how expensive magic weapons are, it would be a good tactic to rely on spells to make them. Of course, most of them have a 1 round per level duration, so you better hope that you're not surprised.
    Flame Blade is tricky to get ahold of... druid-only spell and it doesn't appear on any domain lists. Scimitar of Sand is much easier (Sandstorm, Dru 2/Sor 2/Wiz 2): 1d6 + 1/CL untyped damage, plus a save vs. dehydration (similar to fatigue).

Something else I was working on a few weeks ago... Lyric Thaumaturge's Sonic Might + Persistent Spell + Energy Substitution + Born of Three Thunders + Flame Dagger. Melee touch attacks all day long, damage = 1d4 + 1/CL + 1d6/spell level, half sonic/half electrical damage, save vs. stun + save vs. knocked prone.