New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Space fantasy

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Space fantasy

I'm looking for a space fantasy RPG system, something along the lines of Spelljammer. Not science-fiction with fantasy elements, more like Treasure Planet than Star Wars. Any suggestions?
    OotS Quiz Junkie

Spoiler
    Show

Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to deliver us from danger.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to invest this metal carcass with your spirit.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to bring life unto the inanimate.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to summon forth the holy en-Djinn
    Incantation of the Mechanicus

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Space fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Pantler View Post
    I'm looking for a space fantasy RPG system, something along the lines of Spelljammer. Not science-fiction with fantasy elements, more like Treasure Planet than Star Wars. Any suggestions?
    Serenity...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

• Encounter Critical
    • Dragonstar
    • Hellas (Greek myth in spaaaaace!)
    • Fading Suns
    • Rolemaster Dark Space

Or kitbash d20 Modern/Future and D&D together...
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-07-07 at 10:52 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If you want it heavy on the Fantasy, just go with a fantasy RP system and re-fluff where needed. Really, minimal homebrewing required even, just switch up the setting and you're there, really.

Or is there anything in particular you need to model?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Could be done fairly easily using GURPS
    Kungaloosh!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

D20Modern/Future with magic and psionics added in will work well.

Alternity can do it, but you'll be relying heavily on FX (magic and superpowers) and Psionics and rejiggering something that is, while ostensibly universal, typically geared towards modern and far future type campaigns. It'll do it though, and with some work, it'll do it very well.

Serenity won't work well since, for the most part if you ignore the Big Damn Movie, it is a relatively hard Science Fiction setting rather than science fantasy.

AD&D 2e SpellJammer is precisely what your looking for, but with a pirate slant to it.

Hero system can do it, but you'll need a degree in calculus.

Savage World was born for this kind of thing. I think there's even a setting book for that out there in print if you're looking for that kind of stuff.

AD&D also had the Night of the Comet boxed set which played with this stuff. It's a decent starting point for ideas and base mechanics.

Palladium's Rifts and FRPG books are perfect for this as well. Just strip out all the story and setting bits you don't want and keep the rules you do. A very nice framework the build on if you're creative.

EDIT: Forgot Arduin in any of its incarnations, but especially the later ones.
    Last edited by hamlet; 2009-07-07 at 12:02 PM.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Serenity...
    So the man asks for a more fantasy based setting and you give him a heavy scifi setting lmfao ya fan boy!

Why not just read the spelljammer stuff and adapt it for your needs?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I was thinking of starting a thread like this too probably because I stayed up late and watched Heavy metal 2000 last night. Low and behold I find a thread about the very subject already up on the forums.

I think a good solid freeform game would suffice. You just need to have good players and Gm to not screw it up. However I realize that most people like their systems so I’m going to throw out a mishmash of D20 modern/future with crap ton of FX stuff thrown in there, you know, magic, psionics etc.

Or you could easily convert star wars saga edition over to that. Its got ray guns, magic/psionics (the force) and sword fighting already done for you.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayabalard View Post
    Could be done fairly easily using GURPS
    Any specific sourcebook you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by toddex View Post
    Why not just read the spelljammer stuff and adapt it for your needs?
    Spelljammer seems almost perfect... But it's about as dead as a doornail, and the 2nd Ed rules make it unplayable for me. I was hoping there was something similar to it, but playable without all the work needed to update it.
    OotS Quiz Junkie

Spoiler
    Show

Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to deliver us from danger.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to invest this metal carcass with your spirit.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to bring life unto the inanimate.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to summon forth the holy en-Djinn
    Incantation of the Mechanicus

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Savage World was born for this kind of thing. I think there's even a setting book for that out there in print if you're looking for that kind of stuff.
    Seconded. Savage Worlds is easy to learn, quick to play, and already has some fluff for the type of thing you want.

Of course, if you're looking for something very crunch-heavy, this might not be your thing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Spelljammer seems almost perfect... But it's about as dead as a doornail, and the 2nd Ed rules make it unplayable for me. I was hoping there was something similar to it, but playable without all the work needed to update it.
    What rules? Spelljammer was so simple and rules-light you can bolt it onto almost any version of D&D as is. Gravity? Air envelopes? Ships? Firearms? Helms? Andy Collins covered them all for 3E in about 30 pages in Polyhedron #150 (the flipside of Dungeon #92).

• Travel times used simple die rolls (travel time: 1d6+1 days) or - if you wanted more complexity - orbital tracks and counting on your fingers.
    • The tactical ship-to-ship combat was just an upscaled version of D&D combat (Init, Move, Fire, Melee, Cast).
    • The Phlogiston (D&D hyperspace) was easily refereed (expose a flame; you die in a massive explosion).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Any specific sourcebook you have in mind?
    With mashups like that (space fantasy) you can use all kinds of stuff: Space, Spaceships, Fantasy, Magic, Powers, Martial Arts, and Swashbuckers would all be appropriate. It'd be a fair bit of work on the GM to pull all of that into a usable game but you might be able to get precisely what you're looking for that way.

There are unofficial fan made books out there too; I can't say how good GURPS Spelljammer is in particular, but someone has gone through and put together a bit of a conversion to play Spelljammer with GURPS. After glancing through it, I'd say that it assumes that you're pretty familiar with both GURPS and SJ already.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2009-07-07 at 01:52 PM.
    Kungaloosh!

14. - Top - End - #14

I'll second Star Wars Saga, it's a good system with any splatbook you could ever need/want, and the rules really lend themselves to it. D&D 4e magic would probably work well with Saga if you scale up the damage...

It can be done.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayabalard View Post
    With mashups like that (space fantasy) you can use all kinds of stuff: Space, Spaceships, Fantasy, Magic, Powers, Martial Arts, and Swashbuckers would all be appropriate. It'd be a fair bit of work on the GM to pull all of that into a usable game but you might be able to get precisely what you're looking for that way.
    This, and: Low-Tech (4e isn't out yet, though), maybe High-Tech/Ultra-Tech and reflavor items to use magic, maybe even Bio-Tech, similarly. Thaumatology if you're interested in changing the magic system, any sort of worldbook for inspiration.

Oh, and Steampunk. Can't go wrong with a bit of Steampunk into your campaign.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Make a D&D dungeon in a spaceship. Case closed, Millertime.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    What rules? Spelljammer was so simple and rules-light you can bolt it onto almost any version of D&D as is. Gravity? Air envelopes? Ships? Firearms? Helms? Andy Collins covered them all for 3E in about 30 pages in Polyhedron #150 (the flipside of Dungeon #92).

• Travel times used simple die rolls (travel time: 1d6+1 days) or - if you wanted more complexity - orbital tracks and counting on your fingers.
    • The tactical ship-to-ship combat was just an upscaled version of D&D combat (Init, Move, Fire, Melee, Cast).
    • The Phlogiston (D&D hyperspace) was easily refereed (expose a flame; you die in a massive explosion).
    That issue works. There's also Aether and Flux:
    http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10117.phtml
    Or you can use this Airships book and just say that they can fly into space:
    http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10118.phtml

There is also Dragonstar, which is a 3E space/fantasy setting, but it leans a bit more towards the sci-fi side of things than "sailing ships in space".
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2009-07-07 at 07:27 PM.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."