New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Epic spells and spellcraft.

Ok, I've read up on the section in the epic level handbook a few times and still coming up short. How do you boost your spellcraft high enough to cast most of these spells. I figure at level 30 you should have 33 ranks. Theres +2 on an item from the MIC I think, +2 for skill focus, 18? for INT(human with starting 18 INT can have like 30-40 INT by level 30. I think it would be 18+7(inherent)+6(item for INT)+5(those cool books)+20(natural 20 roll). So thats...2+2+33+20+18=75.

Is there anything im missing on trying to speed up spellcraft or does everyone have to wait till 40+levels to cast anything near 100DC, and is anything higher then that in the ELH right out?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Epic spells and spellcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Korivan View Post
    Ok, I've read up on the section in the epic level handbook a few times and still coming up short. How do you boost your spellcraft high enough to cast most of these spells. I figure at level 30 you should have 33 ranks. Theres +2 on an item from the MIC I think, +2 for skill focus, 18? for INT(human with starting 18 INT can have like 30-40 INT by level 30. I think it would be 18+7(inherent)+6(item for INT)+5(those cool books)+20(natural 20 roll). So thats...2+2+33+20+18=75.

Is there anything im missing on trying to speed up spellcraft or does everyone have to wait till 40+levels to cast anything near 100DC, and is anything higher then that in the ELH right out?
    Don't forget you can use multiple minions/gates/summons to offer spells to lower DC for spells created.

The best idea might be creating a boosting epic spell that boost Spellcraft checks. Even one that lasts all day helps.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Skill bonus (competence) Bonus squared × 100 gp

90000 for a +30 item to spellcraft.

Mitigate through the various epic spell rules.

Ritual cast with groups.

Make an epic spell for + to spellcraft. Remember glibness is +30 to diplocheese for a 2nd (?) level spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Take a porcelain vase.
    Throw it at a hard surface.
    Look at the hundreds upon hundreds of tiny fragments carefully, and try to make sense of them.
    The Epic Casting system in the Epic Joke Book is more broken than that.

Trying to make Epic Casting work as written will break your game. For the sake of your sanity use any other 'epic' casting system offered for D&D (2E's quest spells, Birthright's realm magic, FR's Netheril: Empire of Magic system, even Dark Sun's 10th level psionic enchantments). All of these are superior to epic spreadsheet abuse.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-07-08 at 07:21 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Skill focus Feat
    Epic Skill Focus Feat
    Precocious Aprentice Feat
    Magical Aptitude Feat
    Knowledge Arcana 5+ Synergy

Those alone give you +46 With an INT of only 18 and 20 Ranks in spellcraft.
    That gives you a shot at anything up to DC 66.

At level 30 with A Deep Imaskari starting with Int 18 base (before racial mod) adding all stat bonuses to INT and not counting any magic items you can get +60 giving you a shot at anything up to DC 80.

Aid Another gives +2 per person.

For items just craft something with an Int bonus.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2009-07-08 at 05:56 AM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Don't forget, you can apply Moment of Presience to Spellcraft checks as well.

But as bosssmiley pointed out, the ELH is a bad joke. It's got less balance than Humpty Dumpty, and it doesn't help that it's also pretty much a separate game that got stitched on top of the 3e rules. It's like playing an Investigator and then randomly dualclassing to Jedi Master.

If you want the 'epic' feel, go get Netherill: Empire of Magic instead.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

In a party of four, I wanted to create an epic mage armor. With each party member contributing a level 5 or so spell, using the +10 spellcraft rod and 2000 xp-contributing rod from the Epic Handbook, I could easily make a spell of +40 AC to all members (well, 2 members lasting 2 days, so I cast it every other day to cover the party).

Rituals, if dependable, seem to break epic spellcraft checks. If you are serious heros with reputation, it's even reasonable in-character that you could get a hundred level 1 casters to contribute level 1 spells, giving you a mitigating factor of 100 spellcraft.

DM ended up banning Armor and Fortify seeds, the above rods, and limiting rituals to one contributor.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclocone View Post
    Don't forget, you can apply Moment of Presience to Spellcraft checks as well.
    Pet peeve of mine...

You cannot use Moment of Presience in this occasion. The exact wording of MoP:

This spell grants you an insight bonus equal to your caster level (maximum +25) on any single attack roll, opposed ability or skill check, or saving throw.
    Spellcraft checks are not opposed skill checks. And as a side note, another pet peeve of mine, neither is Initiative an opposed ability check:

At the start of a battle, each combatant makes an initiative check. An initiative check is a Dexterity check.
    So, yeah... MoP can't be used there. Tada!

-- Gecko

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mregecko View Post
    Pet peeve of mine...

You cannot use Moment of Presience in this occasion. The exact wording of MoP:

Spellcraft checks are not opposed skill checks. And as a side note, another pet peeve of mine, neither is Initiative an opposed ability check:

So, yeah... MoP can't be used there. Tada!

-- Gecko
    You .. read that completely wrong.
    There is an "or" there for a reason.

It is an opposed ability check or a skill of check of any sort.
    Not an opposed skill check. lol.

So it does in fact work.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2009-07-08 at 08:49 AM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Show

We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    You .. read that completely wrong.
    There is an "or" there for a reason.

It is an opposed ability check or a skill of check of any sort.
    Not an opposed skill check. lol.

So it does in fact work.
    Actually, since those two aren't separated by commas, I'm guessing that it meant opposed ability check or opposed skill check.
    "Goodness is weakness, pleasantness is poisonous, serenity is mediocrity and kindness is for losers." -Acheron Hades, The Eyre Affair.

"It would rock if I could roll with you." - Golem, Final Fantasy V.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Well using the normal rules of the english langauge it would mean:

Code:
    This spell grants you an insight bonus equal to your caster level
    (maximum +25) on any single attack roll, opposed ability check, skill check,
    or saving throw.
    It is a way of saving repeating yourself more than you are already. Writers use it all the time.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2009-07-08 at 09:39 AM.

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Me and my players managed to mitigate it in two ways:

- Ritual Casting.

- XP burning + XP substituting reagents (DMG). I created an epic quest involving the retrieving of epic forges and magic stones able to periodically create such reagents.

The system does not work as it is, anyway. Or you take it like a true gentleman and as a way to create pieces of art (but swearing at the edge of the houserule, see above) or drop it.

In that way, we had fun anyway. "Meteora", "FFForza" e "Piů in lŕ c'č il Muro", "Ressare proprio Tutti", "Res in combat cosě la Druida si rende utile", "Abbraccio del Maestro", "Drago di Fulmini" and "La cura quilla Cottoia" were great spells, and some pieces of Art, too.
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2009-07-08 at 10:02 AM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

This spell grants you an insight bonus equal to your caster level (maximum +25) on any single attack roll, opposed ability or skill check, or saving throw.
    Note, there is not a comma there, but there is a comma after. In conventional english grammar, only the last comma in a list may be omitted, and even in this quote, it was not. Since there is no comma there, we should treat the entire bolded portion as a single phrase, not two separate items.

Also, notice there are two "or"s. Meaning there are two lists. The "opposed ability or skill check" is a sublist of the greater list, meaning the opposed adjective applies to both ability and skill checks.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's somewhat ambiguous, but I'd definitely read it as "opposed (ability OR skill) check". Since the "check" is applying backwards to both ability and skill, the "opposed" should apply forwards to both, too. (Otherwise I'd put it as "opposed ability or any skill check".)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

There is no valid parsing of that phrase that reads "'opposed ability check' or 'skill check'". The two options are "'opposed ability check' or 'opposed skill check'" and "'opposed ability' or 'skill check'". The latter makes no sense (what's an 'opposed ability' in D&D rules?), so it must be the former.

"Opposed" modifies "check", and therefore applies to everything that that occurrence of "check" does.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-07-08 at 10:48 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    Well using the normal rules of the english langauge it would mean:

Code:
    This spell grants you an insight bonus equal to your caster level
    (maximum +25) on any single attack roll, opposed ability check, skill check,
    or saving throw.
    It is a way of saving repeating yourself more than you are already. Writers use it all the time.
    No, it's not a time-saver if it changes the meaning of the sentence. I'm sure the lack of a comma was use to indicate that opposed applied to both ability and skill check.
    "Goodness is weakness, pleasantness is poisonous, serenity is mediocrity and kindness is for losers." -Acheron Hades, The Eyre Affair.

"It would rock if I could roll with you." - Golem, Final Fantasy V.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    There is no valid parsing of that phrase that reads "'opposed ability check' or 'skill check'". The two options are "'opposed ability check' or 'opposed skill check'" and "'opposed ability' or 'skill check'". The latter makes no sense (what's an 'opposed ability' in D&D rules?), so it must be the former.

"Opposed" modifies "check", and therefore applies to everything that that occurrence of "check" does.
    This would be poor English, but it could mean that "opposed ability" and "skill" are both applying to "check". The lack of parallelism makes this a very iffy read, but it could be the intended meaning.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Still, to go back, isn't initiative an opposed ability check? I mean, it's your dex mod (and a roll) against theirs; it doesn't get more opposed than that.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

The initiative issue could go either way, but it definitely does not work for non-opposed skill checks. They worded it in the most obvious way possible to avoid confusion apart from using the word "opposing" twice in a row in the same set of commas.

Without breaking apart the rules of grammar, which they have followed perfectly well in the rest of the book and phrase, it applies to opposed ability or skill checks only.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Regarding the grammatical issue, I find it funny how nobody commented on the fact that, in

opposed ability or skill check
    the "or" sits between "opposed ability" and "skill check". So, according to bosssmiley's interpretation, the bonus should apply either to a "skill check" or to an "opposed ability" (WITHOUT the word "check" anywhere in there), whatever the heck that means

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Still, to go back, isn't initiative an opposed ability check? I mean, it's your dex mod (and a roll) against theirs; it doesn't get more opposed than that.
    I've had this debate before, regarding initiative... Here is my philosophy...

Nowhere in the Initiative description in the SRD (linky) does it state that it is an opposed check. Whereas other ability checks -- like Bull Rush, Trip, Overrun, vying for control of a Sphere of Annihalation -- all specify that they are "opposed <ability>" checks.

Initiative, however, can happen without even knowing that your opponents are there... It is just a way of measuring individual perception and relative quickness.

You can't actually "Win" initiative, because it isn't a contest (except in a metagamy way).

Those are my views, which I think are fairly well supported by RAW. I'm not going to argue the grammar as it applies to "opposed skill checks", because I think it's pretty obvious -- grammatically speaking -- that the phrasing applies the modifier to both halves of the phrase.

-- G

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Just have your epic wizard research a version of moment of prescience that doesn't say "opposed." There, problem solved! Can we move on to other epic spellcasting shenanigans now?
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

You can craft Epic spells that provide any bonus you wish, so craft three or four stacking +Spellcraft spells with large durations. Pick exotic bonus types that add flavor to your character, like Luck, Profane, Morale, or Dodge bonus (Dunno if you can actually do the last one, but it'd be hilarious - you dodge the standard laws of the universe in order to use your magic! Mind you'd lose your Dodge bonus to spellcraft if you were flat-footed).

Edit: Disregard, spells can not provide dodge bonuses. :(
    Last edited by Indon; 2009-07-08 at 04:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Edit: Disregard, spells can not provide dodge bonuses. :(
    Er... someone should probably tell the designers, then...

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Haste
    [...]
    A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-07-08 at 04:34 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

How amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Also the SRD!
    A dodge bonus improves Armor Class (and sometimes Reflex saves) resulting from physical skill at avoiding blows and other ill effects. Dodge bonuses are never granted by spells or magic items. Any situation or effect (except wearing armor) that negates a character's Dexterity bonus also negates any dodge bonuses the character may have. Dodge bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC, even other dodge bonuses. Dodge bonuses apply against touch attacks.
    Edit: I guess we have a candidate for the "rules that don't make sense" thread, one way or the other.
    Last edited by Indon; 2009-07-08 at 04:38 PM.