New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Fochluch Lyrist Help!!

My DM wants me to play a Fochlucan Lyrist, but I have no clue how to build one, or play one. I'm still new to DnD, so if a kind person out there would give me some advice on optimizing a 10th level 3.5 Fochlucan Lyrist, I'd be in your debt forever!
    Last edited by King_Diamond; 2009-07-09 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Add more
    Don't break the Oath!!!

King Diamond: Noun: Lead singer of Mercyful Fate and King Diamond, known as the best singer ever. Seriously.

This one time, I met this odd-chap in a top hat and make-up. He ate my soul...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fochluch Lyrist Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by King_Diamond View Post
    My DM wants me to play a Fochlucan Lyrist, but I have no clue how to build one, or play one. I'm still new to DnD, so if a kind person out there would give me some advice on optimizing a 10th level 3.5 Fochlucan Lyrist, I'd be in your debt forever!
    Your DM wants you to...what? Since when have DMs decided their players' characters? Anyways, uh, you're in for a chore. Evasion is the hardest to get unless your DM allows for item qualification (Ring of Evasion). Second best option is being Shadow creature (it's a Template in Lords of Madness that can grant Evasion).

Other than that, you need Druid-levels and Bard-levels. You could get DM to allow Loremaster to qualify for Bardic Knowledge (since Lore is the same ability), you could use Wizard-entry making for a fine base character in Druid/Wizard. Then you just must decide which side of your casting is primary, take 1 level in the other class and rest in the other (with Loremaster for qualificaiton, along with any other PrCs you can fit in) and go to town.

That, or Dominate a level 1 Druid to teach you Druidic, making him ex-Druid in the process. This allows you to enter as a Cleric or an Archivist instead (of course Ur-Priest is the best divine side, but it's a tad cheesy). Sublime Chord is a great arcane side, but that means you can't enter before level 11. So yeah, good luck. It won't be easy.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Your DM wants you to...what?
    Actually, we were playing last night and my Incantrix got eaten, so he told me to thumb through Complete Adventurer, and I asked him about this class, he got excited and told me to do it.

Uhh, huh...okay..
    Don't break the Oath!!!

King Diamond: Noun: Lead singer of Mercyful Fate and King Diamond, known as the best singer ever. Seriously.

This one time, I met this odd-chap in a top hat and make-up. He ate my soul...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Actually, we were playing last night and my Incantrix got eaten, so he told me to thumb through Complete Adventurer, and I asked him about this class, he got excited and told me to do it.

Uhh, huh...okay..
    Well the book comes with an example like the one in the excerpt. It's basically an even slower bardic/divine mystic theurge with evasion. Here's a build guide (gleemax is down right now). If you don't like it, tell the DM to go Fochlucan himself.
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-07-09 at 05:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

5. - Top - End - #5

Uhh, huh...okay..
    You must realize that you can't get into Lyrist before 11; which level is the game on? Which books are available? What exact base combination of casting do you want? Obviously Lyrist is a combination of the castings that lead into it, so choose wisely.

Threw together a stub for you:
    Shadow Creature or Ring of Evasion, race open
    Bard 1/Wizard 5/Mindbender [Complete Arcane] 1/Ur-Priest [Complete Divine] 2/Fochlucan Lyrist 1/Sublime Chord 1/Sublime Chord +9

If you don't want to mindrape a Druid, you could replace Mindbender with Druid but seeing that you're evil anyways, raping peoples' minds should be ok (although Raping Peoples' Minds Is Ok).

You use Primary Contact [Cityscape] to get an extra rank in Perform: String Instruments to enter a level early.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-07-09 at 01:42 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just as an idea of how hard it's likely to be - the class is 'inspired by' the 1st edition Bard rules.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
    Just as an idea of how hard it's likely to be - the class is 'inspired by' the 1st edition Bard rules.
    The bard wasn't actually difficult to qualify for--you just took thief, fighter, and druid for certain levels, instead of having to work to somehow combine the FL's prereqs into a build--it just took forever to get there.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

8. - Top - End - #8

I just realized that my stub suffers of a serious case of MAD in needing Int for Wizard-casting and skills, Wis for Ur-Priest (and Druid)-casting, Cha for Sublime Chord and Bard-casting, Dex for AC and to hit, and Con for HP. So uh, if you wanna try it, better have insane stats.

That said, Fochlucan Lyrist is going to have a serious case of MAD pretty much no matter what (like, using Archivist for divine casting and Wizard for arcane might work, or going Sublime Chord/Favored Soul but that requires a whole lot of other loopholes to jump through).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-07-09 at 01:58 PM.