New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What's a good module to run for a homebrew test?

Hey all!

I'm planning on running a fairly large scale 3.5e campaign this fall/winter on the PBP forums; and right now I'm in the process of doing up some homebrew rules to fit the setting.

I've got the basics done for the biggest of these homebrew rules - seen here; but in order to make sure it will work (and test a few of the worries people have understandably expressed about it) I need to run a game with this system in-use.

Now, initially I figured I'd just homebrew a quickie dungeon and that'd be that. But then I realized something that I have, in fact, never done...

I've never run an official D&D module. Never even thought about it honestly; since as a DM I usually prefer to make up my own story.

However since this isn't a campaign, just a test run, and thus my motivation to build is... well, non-existent... I was thinking this would be a good time to dig one up. >.<

First I have to warn you: I've never played a module either. I only know the names of a handful, and know absolutely nothing about any of them >.<

So here's what I need, if anyone is able to offer some advice -

I need a module fit for:

A level 2-4 party (preferably the lower end of the scale)

An adventure that is rather self-contained (not going to require a prior adventure to understand, nor one that's going to automatically feel like it leads to another)

Medium-ish length

Combat heavy - This is crucial, since the system I desperately need to test is combat based. (RP is perfectly fine of course - I'd just prefer to steer away from anything intrigue-heavy)

Preferably humanoid opponents for the most part. The campaign the ruleset is designed for will mostly be against humanoids. (That said, if there are a few unusual critters involved, that'll help test that aspect as well) >.<

4-6 person party

I hope those requirements aren't too specific <x.x> (Like I said, this is one area of D&D I have never actually messed with) Even if you've got something that doesn't quite mesh but is close - let me know!

Main goal is shaking down my system; but I do have a tertiary goal of "everyone have a good time" too hehe <@_@>b
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What's a good module to run for a homebrew test?

You might find what you are looking for here.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

My personal favorite?

Is actually the Nashkel mines from Baldur's Gate. Three levels, miners on the upper level, Kobolds on the second and third levels, and an interior room with a boss fight with a cleric. Replace the kobolds with humans if you want, or replace with whatever enemies are appropriate. The levels are suitably complex, but not overwhelming.

Even a few traps to keep the rogues happy. Also comes with a few monsters standard in the form of oozes, giant spiders, and cadaverous undead.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Sunless Citadel isn't bad for testing purposes. It's very much a "standard" D&D adventure.
    A Butterfly Dreaming - 4e monks and other roleplaying stuff

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Sunless citadel is 3.0, not 3.5, so it needs a few changes here and there.
    Like the magic sword at the end of it has different stats from 3.0 to 3.5.

The burning plague is pretty good.
    A dark and stormy knight is also good, though I think it needs to be changed a little cuz the boss fight is strictly meh.
    Something's cooking was outstanding when I ran it for my party.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks all <^-^>m much appreciated. Not totally sure what I'm going with yet; but at least I have a direction now! Much appreciated!
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>