New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [d20] Multiple Attacks: Useful Tactic or Game Slowing?

Does anybody find extra attacks in the d20 useful, making warriors tougher, more attractive and balancing them out to spellcasters? Or does it feel like a painfully slow, encumbering mechanic that might not even be useful?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [d20] Multiple Attacks: Useful Tactic or Game Slowing?

All of the above except balancing them against spellcasters. It really does make them better at the same time as making their actions slower to resolve. even the most prepared player seems to grind down in the resolution of attacks. [Opinion]

3. - Top - End - #3

The interesting part about being a caster is that you can do anything. As a warrior you can usually only do one thing, so it's not really a question of "what" you can do, but "how much".

In general I find extra attacks tedious and largely unnecessary. ToB fixed melee characters, most fighter fixes I've seen are either copying ToB, or not working at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

4. - Top - End - #4

Alright, so barring ToB, are they useful or just annoying?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Otogi View Post
    Alright, so barring ToB, are they useful or just annoying?
    Both! Fire provides heat but it uses up wood and can hurt my hand.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The full-attack is a clunky mechanic, but it's problem really isn't that it slows gameplay. If you're finding the rolling to be a time issue, do it on the turn before yours. Then simply call out your attack rolls and damage when your init comes up.

That'll help keep the pace up when you have multiple attacks to resolve. It's not just warriors this is helpful for. When you're a wizard or druid with four summoned creatures in play, pre-rolling for them (even if they have 1 attack each) really helps speed things up.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2009-07-12 at 01:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

They were useful in prior editions, where fighters could make all their attacks and still move, they pretty much had an 80+% chance to hit with all of them, and could kill things quickly due to lower AC; then, it was a pain, but well worth it.

With the 3e combat/fighter nerfs? Not worth it at all.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

They are pretty much one of the worst ideas in D20. In theory you can see why they exist, but in practice they are just a waste of time and statistic block space.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    They are pretty much one of the worst ideas in D20. In theory you can see why they exist, but in practice they are just a waste of time and statistic block space.
    Well, they're not new to d20--the fighter's always had them in some form--but I agree that giving them to everyone was a mistake.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Well, they're not new to d20--the fighter's always had them in some form--but I agree that giving them to everyone was a mistake.
    That and the rapidly decreasing returns on the dice [e.g. one 30% chance of hitting, followed by three 5% chances]. Star Wars Saga seemed like it got things right on that score.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2009-07-13 at 01:30 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

11. - Top - End - #11

Thanks guys, I have a pretty good idea now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    That and the rapidly decreasing returns on the dice [e.g. one 30% chance of hitting, followed by three 5% chances]. Star Wars Saga seemed like it got things right on that score.
    I know you mainly stick to the retro games, but have you seen the fantasy adaptation for Star Wars Saga? Its a PDF available somewhere, and I think it does a better job of fantasy than D&D does. Far better balance, much faster, iterative attacks don't come standard, but you can get them, which simulates very fast characters, etc. Its not my first choice for cinematic fantasy, but its up there, and I really dislike classes and levels, which makes its ranking all the more impressive.

If I remember correctly you don't even have to deal with rapidly diminishing returns on the dice, as you sacrifice things you could have used to get better with armor, or magic/the force, or other parts of combat skill.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I know you mainly stick to the retro games, but have you seen the fantasy adaptation for Star Wars Saga? Its a PDF available somewhere, and I think it does a better job of fantasy than D&D does. Far better balance, much faster, iterative attacks don't come standard, but you can get them, which simulates very fast characters, etc. Its not my first choice for cinematic fantasy, but its up there, and I really dislike classes and levels, which makes its ranking all the more impressive.

If I remember correctly you don't even have to deal with rapidly diminishing returns on the dice, as you sacrifice things you could have used to get better with armor, or magic/the force, or other parts of combat skill.
    Well, I usually prefer D&D because of the idiosyncrasies that make it D&D, so I might have to disagree on the "does fantasy better" score for my personal games, but I would definitely like to see a fantasy SAGA for plundering ideas at the very least. Do you know where you can get it, or at least what the name is so I can look around?

Show

<Snip>

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

To speed them up you could do something like rapid fire guns from GURPs. The way those work is that you make one roll and your degree of success determines how many shots hit. IE, if you beat the AC you hit once. If you beat the AC by 5+ you hit twice, 10+ means three hit, etc up to your total number of attacks.

This would probably gimp two weapon fighters and monks. Maybe they'd get a die for each hand? Or use a slightly smaller margin of success needed for a second hit?
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Multiple attacks in other editions were an entirely different kettle of fish, however. You could still move and use them, and they all happened at the same ThAC0, meaning they were multiple good chances of hitting, as opposed to one chance and several prayers.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Multiple attacks in other editions were an entirely different kettle of fish, however. You could still move and use them, and they all happened at the same ThAC0, meaning they were multiple good chances of hitting, as opposed to one chance and several prayers.
    That's why I mentioned the tweaks in my first post on the issue--iteratives have fallen quite far since 1e, but the basic complaint that extra attacks take up extra time when you could have different effects instead (rerolls or bonus damage or whatever) has been around for a long time.

Show

<Snip>

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post

I know that a project of that sort was begun, but was not aware it had been completed. Might be worth a look, I will link it if I find a copy.