New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Spellthief Questions

A quick question about the Steal Spell ability possessed by the Spellthief. What happens in case I try to steal a spell the target hasn't prepared or doesn't know? Do I get a randomly determined spell, or have I just wasted my sneak attack damage for nothing? Other abilities such as Steal Spell Effect explicitly states that if my choice of effect is unavailable I'll get a randomly determined effect from among those the target is currently under influence of, but I have been unable to locate such ruling on Steal Spell.

In addition I think I recall seeing a spell or ability that allowed the wielder to determine what spells his target has prepared. If such a thing indeed exists could someone point me in the direction of it? It'll certainly come in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Spellthief Questions

This is covered in the spelltheif entry. You get a random spell from those the caster does know.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    This is covered in the spelltheif entry. You get a random spell from those the caster does know.
    Found it, I can't believe I missed the same sentence 3 times in a row =/
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    Found it, I can't believe I missed the same sentence 3 times in a row =/
    Don't worry. I've done that about 20 times on here now. lol.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    In addition I think I recall seeing a spell or ability that allowed the wielder to determine what spells his target has prepared. If such a thing indeed exists could someone point me in the direction of it? It'll certainly come in handy.
    That's the Discover Spells class ability you get at 13th level. When you steal a spell you learn what all other spells of that level the spellcaster knows or has prepared. Then you can try to steal one of those on a subsequent attack. It's on page 20 of Complete Adventurer.