New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default psicrystal question (3.5)

confused how the psicrystral levels for my psion character. It mentions it follows the monster entry with a few exceptions. The monster entry mention its "As masters HD (hp 1/2 masters)". so does this mean it gains it gains hit dice when I level just the result is half what I roll?

also since it has a reasonable intelligence and uses owner skill points I can use it to help with knowledge and other skill checks (as long as both trained)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: psicrystal question (3.5)

Yes, by RAW, if you are a 10th level Psion, you have a 10HD psicrystal. It uses your total HP/2 though, and your saving throws, so the only benefit it gets is the fact that it can technically pick its own feats.

Just like familiars, psicrystals can indeed conduct Aid Another checks to help you with your skill checks, and often do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is actually fairly well at explaining psicrystals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wizuriel View Post
    confused how the psicrystral levels for my psion character. It mentions it follows the monster entry with a few exceptions. The monster entry mention its "As masters HD (hp 1/2 masters)". so does this mean it gains it gains hit dice when I level just the result is half what I roll?

also since it has a reasonable intelligence and uses owner skill points I can use it to help with knowledge and other skill checks (as long as both trained)?
    Yes, It gains HD (but not hps, those are 1/2 your max), BAB, saves, etc.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The HD rules for familiars and psicrystals are mainly to prevent a level 20 Wizard/Psion's little buddy from getting killed by a stray enervation.

(Actually, that's just the reason familiars have HD. Psicrystals are immune to death effects, as they're constructs. Psicrystals have HD because familiars have HD and they just copied the familiar rules and put in a few flavour-specific changes.)
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2009-07-13 at 01:06 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    The HD rules for familiars and psicrystals are mainly to prevent a level 20 Wizard/Psion's little buddy from getting killed by a stray enervation.

(Actually, that's just the reason familiars have HD. Psicrystals are immune to death effects, as they're constructs. Psicrystals have HD because familiars have HD and they just copied the familiar rules and put in a few flavour-specific changes.)
    Does Blaspheme count as a death effect?