New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Is 3.5 Tumble broken?

This is a problem I've been thinking about casually for some time. Since all Tumble checks to avoid AoO are set against a flat DC, doesn't a decent Tumble score completely invalidate much of the danger of an opponent with abilities based upon reach?

Now I realize that there are certain feats and maneuvers that manage to circumvent this, but since feats are far more precious than skill points and maneuvers are specific mechanic for a small handful of melee classes, this seems to me to only highlight the base problem. It would seem to me that a more reasonable system might be to scale the base DC of Tumble checks off the BAB of the opponent whose AoO you're looking to circumvent.

Tell me why I'm wrong.
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Is 3.5 Tumble broken?

As DM, if you feel a player is abusing tumble, just put several enemies on the board, each no more than 10 feet apart. Or limit the battlefield in some other way to prevent tumbling. Why is it so vital that badguys get AoOs, anyway?

I personally don't see the problem. Besides, if the PCs can do it, NPCs can do it, too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Apparently any combat tactic other than 'walk up to any enemy and hit it in the face until one of your dies' is 'broken'.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

We use a fix for tumble in one of my games that leaves it powerful, but not broken. I'm not sure if this game from a book (it may even be the correct way of playing for all I know) or someone made it up.

Each AoO that you're trying to avoid requires a roll. Each roll after the first increases the DCs of later rolls by 2. So to avoid attacks from 3 opponents you'd need tumble checks at DC 15, 17, and 19. This worked well at the power level we were playing with, but you could probably justify increasing the DC modifier to 4 for each check. I think we were playing where a 1 was an automatic fail, so increasing the number of rolls instead of just the DC helped a lot.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Removing all AoO's doesn't make someone broken, if they pay skill points for it (and more if they're the wrong class). Most skills are actually like this - minor benefit with easy success - but most groups focus excessively on spot/hide, or DMs set the wrong DCs, or etc. Nerfing them is just a character-life-risking slap to the face to something that really doesn't need nerfing.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-07-13 at 12:48 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Tumble is quite broken. It's worth putting cross-class points in it, as long as you aren't going to be wearing heavy armor. My wizards tumble, my wildshaped druids tumble, everything I play tumbles. There's absolutely no reason not to invest in "I win" skills, is there?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Tumble is a powerful skill, yes, but with splatbooks in the mix, it becomes less omnipotent (at trivializing one combat build entirely in AoO-focused builds), mostly thanks to the existence of Thicket of Blades-stance in Tome of Battle and the whole Knight-class.

That said, yeah, it'd make sense to alter Tumble a bit to match the difficulty to opponent's offensive capabilities (harder to avoid AoOs from a skilled warrior than a Wizard holding a staff). In fact, I seem to recall seeing just such a fix in Unearthed Arcana, but I cannot seem to be able to locate it right now.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-07-13 at 12:40 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    That said, yeah, it'd make sense to alter Tumble a bit to match the difficulty to opponent's offensive capabilities (harder to avoid AoOs from a skilled warrior than a Wizard holding a staff).
    I read a quick fix on these boards once: Tumble DC to avoid an AoO is 10 + BAB of threatener.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I read a quick fix on these boards once: Tumble DC to avoid an AoO is 10 + BAB of threatener.
    Then Tumble becomes a required investment forever.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Each AoO that you're trying to avoid requires a roll. Each roll after the first increases the DCs of later rolls by 2. So to avoid attacks from 3 opponents you'd need tumble checks at DC 15, 17, and 19.
    This is RAW.

That being said, Tumble is pretty easy to get high enough where even the increasing DCs don't matter that much. I'm currently playing a mobile fighter type; at 5th level his Tumble is +15 - enough that, despite constantly dancing around busy battle fields, I think he's only taken 1 attack of opportunity (and that was a level or two ago).

I've heard of a fix where the DC to Tumble past any particular opponent is 10 + the opponent's BAB, with the DCs increasing over multiple attempts as above. I've never seen it in play (Tumble just hasn't been that big of an issue for my groups), but I like it in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ent View Post
    Then Tumble becomes a required investment forever.
    Is that a bad thing?
    Last edited by adanedhel9; 2009-07-13 at 12:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Let's say that you do change how Tumble scales. For example, you make the DC for avoiding an AoO = 10 + BAB of the enemy.

This has no impact on the DM or AoO using PCs. The DM was always free to improve or nerf his encounters, and thus improve or nerf the AoO using PCs relative power. For example, I'm a DM designing an encounter for a Trip build Fighter player and three other PCs. If the Fighter is too strong compared the other PCs (a rare event), then I can easily raise the Tumble Skills of my enemies, or give them ranged weapons, or have them use spells, or psionics, or incarnum, etc. If the Fighter is too weak, I can easily lower the Tumble Skills of my enemies, lower their Str, have them mook rush him, or have them make morale checks when X number of them die, etc.

But the rules change does have an impact on Skill Monkey PCs (already the weakest in many cases), in that it forces them to spend more Skill Points to do exactly the same thing they could do before you changed the rule.

So really you're not accomplishing anything except slightly nerfing the Rogue et al PCs. And I don't see a good reason to do that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Let's say that you do change how Tumble scales. For example, you make the DC for avoiding an AoO = 10 + BAB of the enemy.

This has no impact on the DM or AoO using PCs. The DM was always free to improve or nerf his encounters, and thus improve or nerf the AoO using PCs relative power. For example, I'm a DM designing an encounter for a Trip build Fighter player and three other PCs. If the Fighter is too strong compared the other PCs (a rare event), then I can easily raise the Tumble Skills of my enemies, or give them ranged weapons, or have them use spells, or psionics, or incarnum, etc. If the Fighter is too weak, I can easily lower the Tumble Skills of my enemies, lower their Str, have them mook rush him, or have them make morale checks when X number of them die, etc.

But the rules change does have an impact on Skill Monkey PCs (already the weakest in many cases), in that it forces them to spend more Skill Points to do exactly the same thing they could do before you changed the rule.

So really you're not accomplishing anything except slightly nerfing the Rogue et al PCs. And I don't see a good reason to do that.
    Tumble's best for casters, esp. at low to mid levels, as it gives them a chance to move out of threatened squares with no penalty before attempting a concentration check to cast their spells.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Or you could put ranks in concentration. Low to mid level cross-class skills are harder to succeed on.

And I'd agree that skillmonkeys really don't need nerfing. They tend to be weak already, especially since a lot of DMs tend to raise DCs on other skills already.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-07-13 at 01:09 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tumble is generally a skill that medium-to-weak characters have. They don't have much in the way of BAB or hit points. So is it a big deal that they can hold onto some of those hit points on the way to put their middling BAB to the test? I don't think so.

Tumble isn't broken. Leave it alone.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Jack View Post
    Tell me why I'm wrong.
    Elder Air Elemental. Size: Huge, CR 11, HD=20, BAB = 20. (Outsider BAB = HD).
    10-headed Cryohydra. Size: Huge, CR 11, HD=10, BAB = 10 (Magical Beast BAB = HD).
    Dread Wraith. Size: Large, CR 11, HD=16, BAB = 8 (Undead BAB = 1/2 HD)
    Retriever. Size: Huge, CR 11, HD=10, BAB = 7 (Construct BAB = 3/4 HD)

Here you have a creature (the Retriever) that is supposed to be designed for fetching things that are trying to run away, that is less able to connect on something tumbling past him than a Dread Wraith (which has less reach than it does) or a Cryohydra. The Cryohydra might make a little more sense, with ten heads and all for a character to dodge past. But an Air Elemental being almost three times as tough as a Retriever?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Tumble's best for casters, esp. at low to mid levels, as it gives them a chance to move out of threatened squares with no penalty before attempting a concentration check to cast their spells.
    I'll concede that. But that's a pretty good argument for abolishing cross class Skills (or at least restricting Tumble and UMD by making them class abilities instead of Skills), not for changing Tumble.

But even if a DM did choose to re-jigger the Tumble DC, it just makes Wizards spend 2 Skill points per level forever on Tumble (and maybe invest in a Tumble boosting magic item) instead of two points per level for 10 levels or so. That's not really much of a change.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

you could make tumble trained, an untrained tumbler uses 10 +bab while a trained tumbler uses the standard rules for tumbling, so that people who have it aren't really affected, people moving to get it (cross class) have to take a harder tumble check

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Tumble is generally a skill that medium-to-weak characters have. They don't have much in the way of BAB or hit points. So is it a big deal that they can hold onto some of those hit points on the way to put their middling BAB to the test? I don't think so.

Tumble isn't broken. Leave it alone.
    10+BAB checks are just as easy for a Rogue to make consistently as straight DC 15. I don't see the issue here. How often have you actually failed a Tumble-check in actual play? 'cause the only ones I remember failing are "jumping over the opponent"-ones, and those only 'cause I tried 'em too early, too often.

Even a level 2 Rogue can easily have 5 ranks, +2 synergy and +4 Dex for +11 Tumble. As his Dex keeps growing, he'll reach a point where he'll never fail on even natural 1s, and if he picks up Skill Mastery for Tumble, he can safely friggin' full-speed Tumble against anything but überhigh-BAB creatures.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Tumble is absolutely fine. It's a DC 15 check to move at half speed and avoid AoOs, and DC 25 to do that through an enemy's occupied space. If there's dense undergrowth, or you're in a natural cavern, these checks get higher. Also, you get a -10 for accelerated Tumbling.

And then there's DC 35 for a Free Stand. And you can also eliminate some falling damage. Wow.

No way is it broken.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2009-07-13 at 01:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    I'll concede that. But that's a pretty good argument for abolishing cross class Skills (or at least restricting Tumble and UMD by making them class abilities instead of Skills), not for changing Tumble.

But even if a DM did choose to re-jigger the Tumble DC, it just makes Wizards spend 2 Skill points per level forever on Tumble (and maybe invest in a Tumble boosting magic item) instead of two points per level for 10 levels or so. That's not really much of a change.
    Making Tumble & UMD class abilities would probably be better, or at least make it so it's rogue only, like UMD was in 3.0 for bards & rogues.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Melee types avoiding AoOs while closing in with giant monsters is almost a fix. Tumble is only a problem when casters use it, really.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

If you feel Tumble is too powerful and is breaking your game, you could very easily make it into an opposed roll. Essentially, they roll Tumble when they move; That becomes their new AC, which the attack rolls now need to hit. So your average level 2 Rogue, with 16 dex and +1 studded leather, will have AC 17 normally. With 5 ranks in Tumble and 5 ranks in Jump, they've got a Tumble mod of +10 (5 ranks, 2 synergy, 3 dex). They've got an AC of 17 normally, but can choose to move at half speed, effectively raising their AC any time they roll better than a 7.

Now, instead of having to hit a flat DC of 15, their Tumble roll (let's say they roll a 10, for a total of 20) becomes their AC for that turn, for the purpose of attacks of opportunity. So the Fighter they're trying to flank MIGHT still hit them; He just has to roll against a higher effective AC.

Note that this also means Mobility doesn't become totally pointless (though it's still a poor feat); It would mean that even when you don't roll well on your Tumble check, your AC is 4 higher against AoO's.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Jack View Post
    This is a problem I've been thinking about casually for some time. Since all Tumble checks to avoid AoO are set against a flat DC, doesn't a decent Tumble score completely invalidate much of the danger of an opponent with abilities based upon reach?

Now I realize that there are certain feats and maneuvers that manage to circumvent this, but since feats are far more precious than skill points and maneuvers are specific mechanic for a small handful of melee classes, this seems to me to only highlight the base problem. It would seem to me that a more reasonable system might be to scale the base DC of Tumble checks off the BAB of the opponent whose AoO you're looking to circumvent.

Tell me why I'm wrong.
    My GM is using exactly that houserule, which makes tumble a skill that you either maximise or ignore... I'm not sure that it improves the flavour of the game but thats the houserule we are using.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm one of those people who's always looking for a story or character reason for something to exist, but nope... I don't think it's broken.

Sure... almost every character has it, whether it makes sense for them to or not. (80 year old Human Wizard... yup... he's got tumble... despite the arthritis.)

But anyway... why not? I mean... these are guys that are in a constant state of fighting monsters, people, etc... I think at some point they would've learned how to dodge, duck, dive, dip and dodge in some way.
    When in danger or in doubt; run in circles, scream and shout.

"Plot Fairy w/ Adventure Hook" avatar expertly crafted by Rowsen. Well done, sir.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

10+BAB checks are just as easy for a Rogue to make consistently as straight DC 15.
    You misunderstand me. I wasn't proposing to change how Tumble checks work. But Rogues have good skills, middling BAB and hit points, and weak AC. They can use Tumble to get to a place where they can test their BAB against enemy ACs. Against someone with good AC, medium BAB will miss a lot. Then they get to put their weak AC to the test on the counterattack. So is it a big deal that they might keep all their hit points up until they reach their intended target? No.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Cor- View Post
    But anyway... why not? I mean... these are guys that are in a constant state of fighting monsters, people, etc... I think at some point they would've learned how to dodge, duck, dive, dip and dodge in some way.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Tumble is almost exclusively Cartwheels.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You misunderstand me. I wasn't proposing to change how Tumble checks work. But Rogues have good skills, middling BAB and hit points, and weak AC. They can use Tumble to get to a place where they can test their BAB against enemy ACs. Against someone with good AC, medium BAB will miss a lot. Then they get to put their weak AC to the test on the counterattack. So is it a big deal that they might keep all their hit points up until they reach their intended target? No.
    But the change doesn't change anything for them. Rogues will still be making their checks because of it being a class skill, their Dex-focus and their skill points affording them the ranks along with the later Skill Mastery.

Other characters though, especially ones cross-classing the skill, will at least have to contend with the IDEA of a possible failure on the check with the change; as it stands, just about anyone investing ranks in Tumble automakes the checks meaning the only characters AoOs are relevant to are heavily armored melee types.

As it stands, you just need ~5 ranks in Tumble with the synergies and you're done - you don't need to put any more ranks there ever. Why shouldn't a character investing more in Tumble be rewarded for it?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

As it stands, you just need ~5 ranks in Tumble with the synergies and you're done - you don't need to put any more ranks there ever. Why shouldn't a character investing more in Tumble be rewarded for it?
    Tumble usually results in 1/2 speed. A stereotypical halfling rogue only can move 10' while tumbling. If you have more ranks in Tumble, you can take a -10 penalty and tumble at full speed.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    If you feel Tumble is too powerful and is breaking your game, you could very easily make it into an opposed roll. Essentially, they roll Tumble when they move; That becomes their new AC, which the attack rolls now need to hit.
    I like this houserule.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

All good points, but look at the numbers I gave above. If you key the check to BAB alone, you end up in a situation where a CR 11 monster is harder to tumble around than an Enlarged level 19 Fighter with a spiked chain and feats out the wazoo. To take an even more extreme example, a CR 10 Colossal animated object would have the check based off of BAB 24. The Fighter wouldn't reach that until Epic.