New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Pinching other ideas to lure new clients.

Odd title i know but hear me out. I've been thinking of trying to hook in a couple of people into ye olde RPG world. The problem is i cant think of a campaign that would be simple yet entertaining enough for them to go with enough of a flair.

Then it struck me oddly enough. They play computer games. So what if i translated one of these games into the table top format. The risk is, that if they see it as simply a dull version of the same, they wont bite.

However, with the flexibility of an actually human controlling things, i can allow them to do things they wanted to do but couldnt before.

Any thoughts or am i completely losing people from bad ideaness?
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Pinching other ideas to lure new clients.

Pfft. Too complicated. Just ducttape them to a chair and a pair of d20s and not let em go till they're enjoying themselves, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And two out of three leading anthropomorphic personifications of death agree on the matter.
    Happy to be PMed for rants about stuff, lousy jokes, challenges to a duel because I impugned your honour in that restaurant last night. Look, how was I supposed to know it'd fly that far?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by king.com View Post
    However, with the flexibility of an actually human controlling things, I can allow them to do things they wanted to do but couldnt before.
    One of the big reasons I like TRPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by king.com View Post
    Any thoughts or am i completely losing people from bad ideaness?
    Like you pointed out, stealing wholesale probably won't go over very well. I find it works, though, to pinch bits and pieces from a variety of things until I have crudely stitched together something so gruesome that it's perfect.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Dude- having just replayed Jade Empire and wished like mad to be able to just go off and explore the place, I say rock on and steal from the best. Ask them (or observe from what they play) what worlds they'd love to explore further- what places do they wish they could linger and find more about, what factions do they wish they could be a part of or characters would they like to make aside from the usual videogame protagonist. See what you can build out of that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

While direct conversions may or may not work out well, stealing settings to get them interested can be useful to get started.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I used the notion (if not the setting) of Morrowwind and Oblivion to lure my fiance into D&D. She's not looked back.
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Start with one or a few one-shot adventures that have a well defined goal, yet allow a lot of creativity on the way there. It's important IMO to nudge the players to go outside the cRPG box.

For example make them tax collectors - they know where to go, yet it has loads of potential for creative thinking (because most tax payers will try to cheat them in every possible way or simply bribe them). Theoretically there would be more social encounters, but you can throw a bar fight or a band of thugs here and there.

Other idea would be to make them bust someone out of prison - by breaking/sneaking/bluffing in. Although it would probably be a bit harder for the players as heavy planning is necessary - not optional like in the first example.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.