Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default I have a small theory...

I have a bit of a crackpot theory, but please bear with me.
    So here's my theory.
    I think that the Oracle is a Kobold.
    To this I submit the following evidence:
    1. I like Kobolds. I mean I really do. I own Races of the Dragon, which has in it Dragonborn, which are cool. But it also has Kobolds. And that made me think. Where else have I seen dragons? Sean Connery was a dragon, of course! And wasn't Sean Connery in a movie where people live forever unless their heads are cut off? And what else lives forever until you cut off their heads? Wizards! Now, Wizards are also a company that releases D&D, which reminded me that D&D means Deficit Disorder, which was also a line by Roy. And since Roy is black, I started thinking that maybe there are Kobolds in the OotS world.
    2. In Start of Darkness, the Oracle mentioned that he wanted to get to 2nd base. Now, baseball is a fun game, but I've been thinking, and I may be taking this train of thought too far, but I think he meant base as in "All your base are belong to us." This was obviously an attempt to cheat in Starcraft, which has the Zerg, which are, as we know, somewhat like lizards. And Kobolds are like lizards. So I think that the Oracle is implying that he's a Kobold there, but he might just be referencing base jumping, which is fun because Batman does it.
    3. The Oracle is yellow. The Simpsons are yellow. And I heard a joke about someone answering the phone and saying "Yellow". The Simpsons have a dog. I think that dog might be a kobold too. I think we've seen him. I think that might be the Oracle.
    4. This is either a huge hint, or a MAJOR red herring thrown our way by The Giant. When Belkar meets the Kobold he says "The All Seeing Oracle of Sunken Valley is a friggin' KOBOLD?" Now, I know that most people might think this means the creature a few pages before that, but I think if you look closely at what Roy says, it's clearly a Hydra. I know, the whole "Lots of heads, lots of eyes" thing confused me as well, but it could also be taken to imply that the Oracle is a Kobold, or a friggin' Kobold which is probably a subtype.
    Anybody have a response? Please don't flame me I worked really hard on this kthx.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: I have a small theory...

Haha not bad.

BTW I think you're a lemming.

3. - Top - End - #3

DruidGuy

Look out dan brown you have competition

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by derfenrirwolv View Post
    Look out dan brown you have competition
    Egads! And the comic entitled "Look More Closelier," a quote from a South Park episode spoofing Dan Brown, features Roy going down to haunt Haley and Belkar where he stays until... who dismisses him? Oh that's right! The Oracle! Spooky.
    Last edited by Blackjackg; 2009-07-14 at 08:08 AM.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

5. - Top - End - #5

Exactly! There are hints all over the place!
    You just have to have a keen mind and a keen eye, and some sort of willing suspension of disbelief.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

6. - Top - End - #6

Although the name of the village "lickmyorangeballshalfling" is evidence to the contrary, as Kobolds would likely not have such parts exposed. Perhaps the Oracle is a Goblin of some sort - the 'orange' might imply a hobgoblin.

The fact that the village itself is populated with Kobolds, though, seems to contradict this theory. I think it's possible that the Kobold references you're referring to are just a case of Rule Of Funny, and that Rich really hasn't put much thought into what race the Oracle is.

This is either a huge hint, or a MAJOR red herring thrown our way by The Giant. When Belkar meets the Kobold he says "The All Seeing Oracle of Sunken Valley is a friggin' KOBOLD?
    You are accepting as credible a theory that came out of Belkar's mouth.
    Last edited by Random832; 2009-07-14 at 08:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Woah...That's the most epic rendition of awesome randomness I've read in...three days, at least. you win a cookie.
    Avatar by neoseph7. Avatar hosted here.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
    Although the name of the village "lickmyorangeballshalfling" is evidence to the contrary, as Kobolds would likely not have such parts exposed. Perhaps the Oracle is a Goblin of some sort - the 'orange' might imply a hobgoblin.

The fact that the village itself is populated with Kobolds, though, seems to contradict this theory. I think it's possible that the Kobold references you're referring to are just a case of Rule Of Funny, and that Rich really hasn't put much thought into what race the Oracle is.

You are accepting as credible a theory that came out of Belkar's mouth.
    Many good points...
    However, I believe the rubber ducky to be a water dragon reference, and as everyone knows, dragons=awesome, hobgoblins=not awesome. Therefore, I don't think he's a hobgoblin.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Wait Rubber Duckie? That could be the clue I'm waiting for.

As we all know rubber duckies make bathtime fun and who proved that to us.

Ernie. Who's Orange. Now Ernie thinks rubber duckie is the one (and the oracle clearly agrees due to how protective he is). Hobgoblins are normally killed in great numbers by belkar, but kobold's have been known to face him one on one.

Finally who else has a rubber duckie and knows the future.

Beast wars megatron. Yessss.... And megatron is known to transform to T-rex (a large lizard) and a dragon.
    Last edited by Haggis; 2009-07-14 at 01:36 PM.
    Your heaping helping of Haggis!

10. - Top - End - #10

The oracle is just dead meat, waiting for Belkar Daggers to impale, smash and slash it.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Tass View Post
    Haha not bad.

BTW I think you're a lemming.
    No, he's obviously bread. Have you seen his username?
    The above posts may will contain varying amounts of egotism.

And so will this signature. Come visit my Youtube channel here.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    So here's my theory.
    1. I like Kobolds. I mean I really do. I own Races of the Dragon, which has in it Dragonborn, which are cool. But it also has Kobolds. And that made me think. Where else have I seen dragons? Sean Connery was a dragon, of course! And wasn't Sean Connery in a movie where people live forever unless their heads are cut off? And what else lives forever until you cut off their heads? Wizards! Now, Wizards are also a company that releases D&D, which reminded me that D&D means Deficit Disorder, which was also a line by Roy. And since Roy is black, I started thinking that maybe there are Kobolds in the OotS world.
    2. In Start of Darkness, the Oracle mentioned that he wanted to get to 2nd base. Now, baseball is a fun game, but I've been thinking, and I may be taking this train of thought too far, but I think he meant base as in "All your base are belong to us." This was obviously an attempt to cheat in Starcraft, which has the Zerg, which are, as we know, somewhat like lizards. And Kobolds are like lizards. So I think that the Oracle is implying that he's a Kobold there, but he might just be referencing base jumping, which is fun because Batman does it.
    3. The Oracle is yellow. The Simpsons are yellow. And I heard a joke about someone answering the phone and saying "Yellow". The Simpsons have a dog. I think that dog might be a kobold too. I think we've seen him. I think that might be the Oracle.
    4. This is either a huge hint, or a MAJOR red herring thrown our way by The Giant. When Belkar meets the Kobold he says "The All Seeing Oracle of Sunken Valley is a friggin' KOBOLD?" Now, I know that most people might think this means the creature a few pages before that, but I think if you look closely at what Roy says, it's clearly a Hydra. I know, the whole "Lots of heads, lots of eyes" thing confused me as well, but it could also be taken to imply that the Oracle is a Kobold, or a friggin' Kobold which is probably a subtype.
    Anybody have a response? Please don't flame me I worked really hard on this kthx.
    I think my IQ just dropped 10 points after reading that.

13. - Top - End - #13

GreenSorcererElf

My Theory, by A. Elk (that's A for Anne, not a Elk):
    Dinosaurs were small on one end, much much bigger in the middle, then small on the other end.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    I think my IQ just dropped 10 points after reading that.
    My mission is accomplished.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

I think you're on to something.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by ilcane87 View Post
    I think you're on to something.
    Too many words; should have been:

"I think you're on something"
    Last edited by rewinn; 2009-07-15 at 08:20 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Souhiro View Post
    The oracle is just dead meat, waiting for Belkar Daggers to impale, smash and slash it.
    And then the oracle is going to be ripped to shreds by a druid, and possibly killed permanently by the inhabitants of Mechanus who become annoyed by the Oracle's repeated attempts at cheating death.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Too many words; should have been:

"I think you're on something"
    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...o+something%22

The internet says I'm right.

19. - Top - End - #19

*whoosh*

^ Hear that? That's the sound of the joke flying right over your head.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    My Theory, by A. Elk (that's A for Anne, not a Elk):
    Dinosaurs were small on one end, much much bigger in the middle, then small on the other end.
    That was specifically for the brontosaurus.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

...I think you should read what rewinn posted again...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Remember though, that the characters, including Roy were almost certainly generated in the ADD system, and that ADD stands for ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER, which can, in some rare cases lead to sociopathic behavior. Thus, the thrust of the theory should be aimed at Belkar and raspberry bats are gliding out of my navel and making corduroy mojitos in my reclining blender. /twitch
    Saknussem DeLaCroix
    Dwarf Cleric

"All cruelty springs from weakness"
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
    Edmund Burke: Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
    *whoosh*

^ Hear that? That's the sound of the joke flying right over your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    ...I think you should read what rewinn posted again...
    I thought his post meant that my sentence wasn't gramatically correct, but there must be something I don't get 'cause english isn't my first language.

Care to point it out? I'm curious.
    Last edited by ilcane87; 2009-07-15 at 04:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

I thought his post meant that my sentence wasn't gramatically correct, but there must be something I don't get 'cause english isn't my first language.

"On to something"=you've got something.
    "On something"=you've been using drugs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

25. - Top - End - #25

In idiomatic English, to be "on something," means to be high on some kind of drug.

Blackjackg, explaining jokes 'til they're not funny anymore since '87.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Heh, that makes sense, thanks Blackjackg and (ninja) Kish.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    So here's my theory.

Excellent research. I have one more point:

5. He's really cute.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

28. - Top - End - #28

Unless that other dog was at 2nd base that's no real point.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, and I recall that I've used a similar methodology in defense of an equally controversial argument in the past.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

30. - Top - End - #30

I'm shocked that no one has flamed the OP for missing the obvious and therefore himself missing the obvious yet. "Um, OF COURSE he's a kobold. It's RIGHT THERE ON THE PAGE. YOU YOURSELF MENTIONED BELKAR CALLING HIM A KOBOLD. IDIOT."

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.