New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

MonkGuy

Default Favorite Skill (3.5)

What's your favorite skill you like to use in D&D? Could be for any reason: easiest to get a high modifier with it, most useful, easiest to abuse, most frequently used?

I think mine would have to be Bluff and all the fun things you can do with it, although swimming up a waterfall and balancing on a cloud are also fun (I love epic level skill rolls).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Skill (3.5)

Perform(Sing).
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Tumble.

*ducks*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Concentration (with Unnerving Calm) or Sense Motive (with Combat Intuition).
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ijitsu focus.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love Bluff as well. Being able to fast-talk people and get random sneak attacks from feint combos makes me happy.

My favorite skills I've ever seen were skill points awarded by the DM for in-character actions-

Perform (scream like a little girl)

and

Perform (strip)

7. - Top - End - #7

Auto-hypnosis or Disable Device. I'm all about getting the job done.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    ijitsu focus.
    I assume you're referring to Iaijutsu Focus from Oriental Adventures? Technically not 3.5, but yeah.

Anyhow, my favourite? Probably Lucid Dreaming, just for how obscure it is (again, I don't think it's gotten 3.5 update). Other than that, Use Magic Device, Tumble and Spot (<3 the epic uses, though it's a pity you have to be epic to counteract magic with skills).

Also, hmm, Forgery is the hotness! It's countered by a Forgery-check...and no officials have it so all you need is high Int and few ranks and you'll never be caught!
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedSorcererGirl

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Skill (3.5)

I have to go with Use Magic Device. Fun, good for all characters (and certain classes like Rogue depend on it to be useful at higher levels), and features funny mishaps if you fail.

10. - Top - End - #10

UMD isn't a skill, it's a primary class feature in disguise. 'Gonk' builds show that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Spot.
    I hate been told, "make a spot check" and been basically blind. If I am playing a fighter or other low skill point character, this is where I'll put the point, cross-class skill or no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Having looked at the epic skills a bit thanks to this thread, I think I can confidently say my new favorite skill is now Handle Animal.

"Beholder, I choose you!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Disguise, only because I wish to see more of it than I do. You need a high freedom campaign with some roleplaying to be able to use it at all.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-07-14 at 05:53 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Craft, especially armor and weapon smithing.
    There's nothing I like better than finding a large city, making tons of equipment, selling it and making quite a bit of profit, and then going out adventuring with way better gear than is normal.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    Tumble.

*ducks*
    I love you.
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Proffession (Accountant).

I take this on about half my characters. Someone has to be able to quickly balance the parties books.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Speak Language.

Yes, it's rendered 99% moot by a single 3rd level spell. But it's just fun to be able to listen in on everything...
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aneantir View Post
    Proffession (Accountant).

I take this on about half my characters. Someone has to be able to quickly balance the parties books.
    One profession I wanted to try and take is health inspector. Go into a tavern and see what happens.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Profession (Sailor), Disguise, Jump and Perform (Weapon Drill) are my favorites, and all for different reasons.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Sense Motive is my favourite. But then, that's my fondness for games with layers of deception.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Profession (soldier)... what, haven't you ever heard of a career soldier before?

In all seriousness, probably either the stealth or diplomacy skills. Of course, in a nice high roleplaying campaign, the knowledge skills can often be killers. (That's a good thing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

SolithKnightGuy

Profession(Midwife)

Every male dwarf I've ever played has had this.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Pick Pocket. I like taking stuff.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Knowledge(Religion), Knowledge(Planes) and Knowledge(Arcana). Those come up in games I have played.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Some ones I like:

Decipher Script, for the researching explorer who wants to know what he just found.

Disable Device + Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), for taking stuff apart and putting it back together.

Sense Motive, for knowing what the heck is going on.

Knowledge (Planes) + Speak Language, for anyone who'd like to take a vacation outside the Prime.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Truenaming FTW!

Ahem, seriously though...

I'm a big fan of Rich's Diplomacy. Search is fun, too, on both sides of the screen; DM's get to make fun things to find, & players get to find them. And the interaction of Hide/Move Silently with Listen/Spot make for much of the excitement & tension in my low-level games.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    I'm a big fan of Rich's Diplomacy. Search is fun, too, on both sides of the screen; DM's get to make fun things to find, & players get to find them. And the interaction of Hide/Move Silently with Listen/Spot make for much of the excitement & tension in my low-level games.
    Due note: Rich's Fix, while it fixes things for the diplomancer, is mostly just broken differently. Sure, it works okay for the guy who who maxed out Diplomacy, but for anyone who doesn't invest in Diplomacy:

1) 20th-level characters can't convince their equal-level lovers to give them the time of day without bribery or investing in the Diplomacy skill: DC 15 + Character level -10 intimate relationship, +0 for "Risk Vs. Reward" = DC 25. Unless the 20th level character has at least a +5 Diplomacy modifier, probability of success = 0.
    2) You can't give away a castle (or other highly valuable object) to the leader of a strong church (who are, classically, the recipients of such). Cleric-10 with a Wisdom of +6, say: DC: 15 (base) + 10 (level) + 6 (Wisdom) -10 (Fantastic deal) = DC 21; you need at least a +1 modifier to have any chance whatsoever.
    3) It's more certain if you arrange to fail the proposed deal by making the deal something that would be to your detriment - basically, propose that they help you get slaughtered, or stand idly by while the other person beats you up, and you fail the absurd DC check - in which case, they can't stand idly by, and they can't help your opponents, because those two deals were rejected.

There's lots more absurd examples. Basically, for those who don't invest in the skill, after about 5th or 10th level, Rich's Diplomacy breaks down to "it works if the DM says it isn't worth a roll; it doesn't work if the DM says it is worth a roll".
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sleight of hand with quick draw, they won't know what it hit 'em. Thank you Complete scoundrel.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    1) 20th-level characters can't convince their equal-level lovers to give them the time of day without bribery or investing in the Diplomacy skill: DC 15 + Character level -10 intimate relationship, +0 for "Risk Vs. Reward" = DC 25. Unless the 20th level character has at least a +5 Diplomacy modifier, probability of success = 0.
    They're TWENTIETH LEVEL. They cannot be expected to do things like "Tell the time" unless it's more like "Tell the time WHAT TO DO BECAUSE TIME IS THEIR %*#("
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

30. - Top - End - #30

Spot (and Listen) is kind of a love/hate relationship thing for me -- it sucks being surprised, but much beyond, oh, 7th level or so there's no point in anyone rolling a Spot check unless they have it as a class skill and max ranks.

Ditto on Sense Motive -- I've had too many DMs where you might as well just declare "Sense Motive" every time one of their NPCs opens their mouths. Like above, though, if the DM is interested in telling you a significant lie guess what? The NPC has max ranks in Bluff as a class skill.

Nothing is quite as handy as UMD (once you have enough ranks). UMD makes your character Batman. ("Where does he get all these wonderful toys?") --Notably on bards, which gotta have decent Cha generally anyway, like to wear Cha boosters, and have enough Cha-based skills that something like a circlet of persuasion is a really good idea. (Plus you already have your own caster level, when you are UMDing staves.) Plus if you go the extra mile with the Obtain Familiar feat, now you've got a *critter* that can UMD as well. Mwuhahahaha.