A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

smile OOTS #669 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: OOTS #669 - The Discussion Thread

Sheriff of Moddingham: Okay my friends, can we please try this again without any first page shoutouts or real world religious or political discussion or flaming/trolling? Please.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes. wholeheartedly yes.
    also, i for one offer my apologies for adding to the flamewar.

either way, Big Ups to da Giant!
    Seamus Goodbarrel(halfling rogue/cleric) "Oh god! An Aboleth??"
    Everard Fullpint(dwarven fighter) "Aboleth?! Oh crap!"
    Ling Chang(gnome sorcerer) "mmmmm! very bad Chi!"
    Stephan (human monk) "Oh nononono, not an Aboleth!"
    Kotar Dirithith(kobold swashbuckler) "Dear sweet scaly Jesus! Not an Aboleth!.... What's an Aboleth?"

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. Copy this note into your signature if you support the Saxonic tradition of conducting business in the Mead Hall.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Again, in regards to the latest comic.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW.

It just feels so great to finally see some interaction between Celia and Roy after so long.
    "It must be humbling to suck on so many levels." -Sheldon Cooper, Big Bang Theory

When life gives you lemons, tell Belkar it called him short and then laugh from a safe distance.

Starving the trolls since 2004

Proud inventor of the I-pod Throwing Star... I think.

Feel free to click the clickies! (By that I mean DO IT NOW!)

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfClericGuy

Hmmm...I only got to reading the second page before the thread was rebooted. I wish people wouldn't take a philosophizing stick figure so seriously!

Anyway, I didn't know Roy was so deep. Even if he's wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow. That "chat" was just a little bit too meta for my puny mind. Was that supposed to be an ironic comparison between the D&D world and our real world?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oh, the THREAD was rebooted? Thank goodness, I thought I had been banned! :P

(Not that I had a real reason to worry, the most I did was assert that the real world does not have such levels of violence, which I think *is* the point Burlew was trying to make. But no comments on real religions or people, certainly not on other posters. Did other people really react that badly!? )
    Opinions are like butts- everybody has got one, but nobody thinks theirs stinks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, considering on how much we speculate on the morality of a D&D world, its not surprising someone in a D&D world would speculate on the morality of ours.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

how very metaphysical...but since this isnt the first "physical" they have been involved in tonight i guess we can deal with it 8)
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

10. - Top - End - #10

ClericGirl

OK, reaction? My first thought was "Wow, this comic is really begging for forum flamewars." And sure enough, this is what I find. Glad I didn't see the original thread.

That aside, it was a very nice comic.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Great comic. This is going to take some getting used to; having Roy back

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Wow, thread reboot. That's a shame...the chaff aside, there were some very good posts in there. Couldn't have left it up and locked for archival purposes?

It's like people said, though. It was unfair to post a comic that discusses things we can't discuss the real-world equivilants of here. That was just asking for trouble.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Prediction: this will be the shortest OOTS Discussion Thread in forum history.

Oh, right, the strip. Um, see ya later Celia, I guess. Don't let the Plane Shift hit you on the way out.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Well, for the first time for me, I was rather unimpressed. Maybe the whole subject matter was just too deep, but it really left me feeling like... "whatever". I didn't catch any funny there. Sorry. (Indeed, it almost felt a little bit of politics hiding in there... )

15. - Top - End - #15

Nice comic Rich. Really deep. Not what I was expecting. Bravo!
    Take nothing for granted, but grant yourself hope that something will happen ~Me

Thanks to BRC for my awesome Halfling avatar. You rock!!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whooops boy did I add to that political discussion. Sorry about my part in making the new thread necessary.

Like the comic even though Roy's remark agreeing that Haley puts her greed over people's lives was incredibly uncalled for.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Wow, I've never seen a thread completely zapped before.... probably the right call to do that. It was getting a bit nasty.

I personally found some of the postings in the previous version of the thread a little offensive, but I respect people's right to hold a different opinion. The thing is, the forum rules clearly state that this isn't the place to have real world religion discussions. That's clearly not what this board is for and I am pleased it's being kept that way.

While I was tempted to replying to some of the inflammatory postings in the last thread, I just made my wisdom check and decided not to post :-)

I'd like to re-post my comment now about Sheila Finkelstien. I wasn't the first to note it in the last thread (Kaytara was), but I just want to say again how much I loved the subtle continuity there.

Start of Darkness Spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the final panel of page 19 of Start of Darkness, Eugene Greenhilt notes that he was a childhood rival of Suzy Finkelstien. Presumably the mother of Sheila Finkelstien. Someone else noted how Suzy kept her maiden name too.

Enjoyable comic. Reminds me a bit of a character from the 1st Edition Adventure Module "The Throne of Bloodstone" - St. Solaris the twice martyred. Something only possible with resurrection.

Now Roy is "Roy Greenhilt, the twice deflowered" :-)
    Last edited by lothos; 2009-07-16 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Fix 2 Spelling Errors and Name
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Bravo, Rich. Beautiful.

And I'm glad I missed the flamewars. I got other forums, if I want those.
    In honor of International No Signature Year, there is no signature here.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

I personally enjoyed this comic. It is refreshing to see the fourth wall take another beating. And I agree with Roy. Wierd, you know?
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff of Moddingham: Okay my friends, can we please try this again without any first page shoutouts or real world religious or political discussion or flaming/trolling? Please.
    Okay.

Umm .. more a philosophical strip than a humorous strip. I guess the sort of thing that you would see in an afterglow -- both for us, the readers, from the strip and for Roy, who gets the experience of de-flowering a second time.

I guess it makes a nice bridge, but the irony's just a little too subtle for my sense of humor. Thog in a leprechaun costume is more my speed as far as humor goes. But this would be an awful strip if it didn't have different moods now and then.

All in all, I'm pleased with the arc.

For tropers, Celia was just Put On A Bus. Just as well. She really doesn't understand what makes Haley tick, or why human adventurers do what they do. Come to think of it, Roy doesn't seem to either.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2009-07-16 at 10:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Thread Reloaded.

So, once again I admit my inability to find anything "deep" and "meta" in discussion of rules by characters living in the world these rules apply to. The "fictional character tries to imagine real world but fails in hilarious way" is an old trick used to point out flaws/advantages in RL without being too straightforward. What it kinda reminded me is "Last Action Hero" with chars from b-action-movie exploring our world, whole movie was built around that.

Thread Revolutions?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

That's a pretty funny conversation.
    "Or skill points?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Sparks, kobold wizard

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    She really doesn't understand what makes Haley tick, or why human adventurers do what they do. Come to think of it, Roy doesn't seem to either.
    Y'know, it's possible to understand something and still disagree with it.

Roy thinks he knows more about Haley's motivations than he actually does, unquestionably. How guilty he will feel when he learns about her father is a matter for speculation, and how guilty he should feel is completely up for debate. To whatever extent Roy values lives more than "human adventurers," it's completely to his credit; I wish I believed that extent was more than minimal.
    Last edited by Kish; 2009-07-16 at 10:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Very insightful comic. Top shelf work Giant.

I have wondered my self what would our world be like if we had 100% iron clad prof positive confirmation of a after life.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Name_Here View Post
    Whooops boy did I add to that political discussion. Sorry about my part in making the new thread necessary.

Like the comic even though Roy's remark agreeing that Haley puts her greed over people's lives was incredibly uncalled for.
    He makes the comment because from his perspective she is. Roy doesn' know haley's situation.
    Last edited by dragoncmd; 2009-07-16 at 10:51 PM.
    Founder of the avatar haters fanclub.

The Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything:
    6*9=42
    The Eternal Question:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Outstanding comic Giant, it really shows off how deep Roy is within their world and how well rounded those mental scores are. Definitely one of the more insightful comics that really shows off how their world works from their eyes.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Glich View Post
    Very insightful comic. Top shelf work Giant.

I have wondered my self what would our world be like if we had 100% iron clad prof positive confirmation of a after life.
    Well, that's the irony of it. Under any circumstance, afterlife or no, people find paths to violence. Good reasons, bad ones, or just two people wanting the same thing that they both need and only one can have... that's human nature. Hardly anybody actually wants it, but we all keep tangling ourselves up in it anyway, like a bunch of gunpowder sitting around minding its own business 'til someone strikes a spark.

He's definitely not one of those "Thog smash" type of fighters.
    Last edited by Callista; 2009-07-16 at 11:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Name_Here View Post

Agreed, is greedy but I can't remember her risking someone's life for gold.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    Well, that's the irony of it. Under any circumstance, afterlife or no, people find paths to violence. Good reasons, bad ones, or just two people wanting the same thing that they both need and only one can have... that's human nature. Hardly anybody actually wants it, but we all keep tangling ourselves up in it anyway, like a bunch of gunpowder sitting around minding its own business 'til someone strikes a spark.

He's definitely not one of those "Thog smash" type of fighters.
    Actually I think this was one of the more interesting ones.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Y'know, it's possible to understand something and still disagree with it.

Roy thinks he knows more about Haley's motivations than he actually does, unquestionably. How guilty he will feel when he learns about her father is a matter for speculation, and how guilty he should feel is completely up for debate.
    Mmm... while Roy isn't aware of the whole deal with Haley's father, I think he has a pretty good bead on her motivations in general (but one slanted by his own point of view; see below). She's not just looking for gold to save her father from the evil king. She has plenty of avarice all on her own. (This is established in "On the Origin of PCs," but even without that, it's pretty clear from her behavior that money is not just a means to an end. Consider this little speech.) So Roy does have a point.

That said, there's also a clash of alignments going on here. Roy and Celia are both Lawful Good, and thus tend to see these things in terms of principles and moral duty and the innate value of human life. Haley is Chaotic Good; she sees things in terms of individual people and events. So when she's willing to kill evil creatures for their money, Roy and Celia see that as Haley caring more about gold than about lives, but Haley would probably see it as not caring about the lives of bad people.
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2009-07-16 at 11:39 PM.