New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5] Poisonous Humanoid?

As a fond user of alter self, I like to think of ways to use it for as many different purposes as possible. Lately, I was trying to think of a way to use it to non-lethally subdue opponents. The obvious answer, at least to me, was a form that had a natural non-con poison attack. I looked through the monsters I know, though, and didn't find any. Does anyone know one?

Alternatively, is there a different way to use alter self for non-fatal combat?
    My homebrew (that I like enough to sig, anyway):
    Sublime Ranger, Incarnum Paladin

Many thanks to lindorm for the amazing SHODAN-clam avatar!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Poisonous Humanoid?

Poison is usually an (Ex) or a (Su) quality, neither of which is granted by Alter Self.

You could just Alter Self into a human and beat the target up with your fists, that ought to give you your non-lethal damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Nonlethal Damage with a Weapon that Deals Lethal Damage
    You can use a melee weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage instead, but you take a -4 penalty on your attack roll.

Lethal Damage with a Weapon that Deals Nonlethal Damage
    You can use a weapon that deals nonlethal damage, including an unarmed strike, to deal lethal damage instead, but you take a -4 penalty on your attack roll.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

The Nathri (Planewalker's Planescape campaign setting) have a poison spike, though the poison is incredibly weak with a DC of 11.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The Nathri (Planewalker's Planescape campaign setting) have a poison spike, though the poison is incredibly weak with a DC of 11.
    Add Venomfire (Cleric 3, Druid 3, Ranger 4, Serpent Kingdoms p. 158) on top of that, and it suddenly becomes VERY nasty. 1d6/CL acid damage (uncapped) with every attack made with naturally produced poison? 1 hour/level buff? Yikes.