New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you sane?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Are you sane?

I was thinking about past games, and I was reminded "this is not how normal people act" This leds to my question, how sane is the paranoid, murdering thief that is your character?

sll common

ADD
    Anxiety disorder
    Binge drinling
    Bipolarr
    Delusional
    PTSD
    psychopath
    sociopath
    Schizophrenia

Personaly, my half orc samurai believed he was on holy mission from Heironeous to bring orde and goodnes to all orc kind.
    PC 1- *singing" Robin hood and little John running through the forest trying to get away...
    PC 2- Hey, you are right, this reminds me of that too.
    DM- Except that the king was king 348 years ago, and has undead powers...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Are you sane?

Favorite character to play ever was a halfling rogue with a dark past and ancestry in thievery. I actually planned out the family tree. He was a:

womanizing
    binge drinking
    clepto maniac
    sex addict

whos entire goal in life is to stay completely drunk and steal as much stuff as possible until he settles down in the family mansion, finds one of his many bastard children that is a halfling and raises him as a son to be just like his dad. It's gone on for 3 generations now. Oh Boggle, my favorite character. How I miss thee.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine:
    A Dungeon where heroes were tested (Survival of the Fittest Modeule)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think my Psychic Warrior's ability to dispassionately kill people (in their face with a sword, no less) and not get worked up about it might be considered some kind of Anti-Social Disorder by modern psychology. Aside from that, my Half-Orc Druid is a pretty normal, even sheltered, guy.... he wants to be an adventurer, but at level 3 he still hasn't quite grasped that this requires fighting to the death without hesitation. And my Neanderthal Barbarian.... he's not a sociopath, although my DM and fellow player would think so. He's almost completely Hobbesian in outlook, but some of it is that he can't communicate easily with humans (Neanderthal language was largely hand-gestures, he can't quite master the complexity of a 100% verbal language).

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Avor View Post
    This leds to my question, how sane is the paranoid, murdering thief
    Just because you're paranoid, murdering thief, it does not mean the people who are out to get the stuff you rightfully took don't deserve death...
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

One of my recent characters had Cotard's Syndrome.

Of course he was a vampire, but still.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Delusional prophet of Nerull. Not only was he not a prophet, he didn't have any divine magic at all. And he was a good guy. T'was fun.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Not really. Many of my characters never kill anything, and most are decent enough. The only thing they may have is some kind of apathy disorder, where the fear of death holds no sway over them.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

meh, just a drunken brawler... who really needs to learn when NOT to start a fight.

Protip: when its quite obvious that the main villian can kill you in a single stroke, don't stand in the middle of the room, insult his man-hood, and then charge.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2009-07-20 at 09:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    Just because you're paranoid, murdering thief, it does not mean the people who are out to get the stuff you rightfully took don't deserve death...
    Beat me to it.

My last character was a somewhat genre-savvy LE warblade of noble birth who tried to avoid as many villainous cliches as possible while still serving evil. A sample interrogation:

"You're mad! Mad, I say!"

"Impossible. I have been psychoanalyzed by the finest wizard in this nation--well, this room at least, aren't you, Alric--and pronounced to possess a clean bill of health. I find that delusions of grandeur and megalomaniacal tendencies inhibit my capabilities."

"...no maniacal laughter, then?"

"No."

"No random explosions and burning down villages?"

"Certainly not. Waste of good resources, both raw goods and slaves."

"So...you're not going to kill us in a painful manner just because you can?"

"Oh, I didn't say that."

*stab*

*stab* *stab* *stab* *stab* *stab* *stab*

"Hmm...two minutes to bleed to death. I'm getting rusty. Record, Jeeves?"

"Three minutes, twenty-seven seconds, sir."

"Thank you, Jeeves. I'll work on that. Next victim?"

Is that insane? You decide.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

10. - Top - End - #10

DwarfFighterGuy

my characters have all snapped in one way or another.

My epic half dragon vassal of bahamut dreams of settiling down and being king somewhere evil so he can turn the place around. he may actually pull it off.

My cleric theif doesn't want to be a hero, freaked out, and on the middle of a platform on a lake curled up around his bow, rocking back and forth "im not a hero, im not a hero...." then when we could hear the villan but not see him i decided it was a dream and started calling him sancho. because dreams cant hurt you.

i've got a bard tucked away who assigns notes to peoples feet and trys to play as many different peoples walking patterns as he can. I love it, but it gets annoying.

i've got plenty more, something's wrong with each one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I played a cleric who thought he was a wizard. By the end of the campaign he was talking to trees and it made sense within the context of the character. Actually he had to be retired from the party long before the game ended.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Considering the sort of world they live in, most D&D adventures could be considered well-adjusted.

Haley Explains It All

As for sanity... well, my oWoD Malkavians needed to be insane, of course. Bothersome, of course, but I have fond memories of the Malk who was a former member of the French Royal Guard with growing megalomania; he never took off his hat. Not, not even then
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I've played characters that could've been diagnosed before, but not generally anything extreme.

Playing a mentally ill D&D character:
    http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com/25381.html
    http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com/25614.html
    http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com/25947.html
    Last edited by Callista; 2009-07-20 at 10:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

My favorite was a Monk named Jenny. She KNEW there was no such thing as Gods. Divine magic is a scam, where wizards use Arcane magic and pass it off as a miracle "from the gods" to fleece the gullible. Note this was in a typical campaign where this wasn't actually true. Her favorite pass time was to engage in physical theological discussions in bars. With priests. And her fists. (Prove to me your magic comes from a god and not from you. I've seen some pretty good illusions, so it'll be hard)
    actually, I would still call her Sane, so yeah she's sane

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Let's see. I had a wizard with serious daddy issues, if that counts.

Also an Abyssal with severe mental retardation.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleptomaniac thief, duh.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course I'm sane! Who's trying to have me committed this time?! I'll kill 'em and take their stuff!
    -----

One of my favorite characters was a fighter / thief (AD&D) with homicidal tendencies who collected swords and cursed items. Told one team member that a pit causing cold damage was "...a little cool." Said associate almost didn't make it back out...
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I've played enough paladins and others with extreme fanaticism about their beliefs. Most of my characters tend to be mostly sane, just really, really obsessive about what they care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackg View Post
    Let's see. I had a wizard with serious daddy issues, if that counts.
    Red Mage? He counts. He counts big time.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

You're an Adventurer. If you're not insane (or sometimes Super-sane), you're doing something wrong.
    Last edited by Gralamin; 2009-07-20 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Stupid Words that sound the same

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I only got to play him a few times before the group split up over summer vacation, but a relatively insane Avariel Duskblade/Swashbuckler (He lost his wings) pirate captain named Eskellen D’reg (Esk for short) who staffed the crew of his ship by getting people drunk and coercing them to the ship by dragging them along good naturedly. He refused to call people by their actual names instead referring to them as Mappy or Gimpy, which was good, because the “unnamed” crew had a tendency to die, not that he would go out of his way to kill them, he just didn’t see them as actual people.
    He was somewhat dumb tactically and almost died in the first encounter when he used expeditous retreat (swashbuckler variant) to run freakishly fast and leap from his boat to the other one, and take on a crew of 20 by himself.
    He might have done well if the sorcerer didn't just magic missile him to unconsciousness.

Originally he wasn’t going to have any spell casting, but after Mappy (who has tricked him and escaped the boat in the past, and returned as a focused conjuerer that Esk shanghaied into the plot) showed up and cast some spells, Esk decided that he wanted to be able to use magic as well.

All in all he was like a demented Malcolm Reynolds

Erm, that was rather long...
    I also had a Lawful Good Binder who really detested fighting despite being somewhat optimized for it (his justification was trying to end the fight as quickly as possible), and ended up beating the Chaotic Neutral Sorcerer unconscious (killed him actually, but when I realized that he was going to die from one attack my DM let me switch it to a non-lethal attack) when he tried to start a fight with some guards.
    Last edited by TheLibrarian; 2009-07-20 at 11:34 PM.
    I will come up with something funny and original to put here eventually, until then... well I guess I'll just have a disappointing signature

The lovely avatar was made possible by Smutmulch

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

According to Terry Pratchett rich people are never insane, they are eccentric.

By mid-level adventurers tend to own more coins made out of solid gold than a normal person could carry, so they are clearly just very eccentric.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I played a Ranger all the way up to epic that suffered from dissociative identity disorder. He had a lawful good (personal/legal protector) personality, a true neutral (nature's guardian, at any costs) personality, and a chaotic evil (anti-social, no regard for law/social norms) personality. Every day I had to make a DC15 + number of days present personality in control will save or change personalities (change would be one of the other two, as determined by a coin flip).
    All the changes were handled away from the rest of the group, so they never knew which one was going to show up until the day started. Made for a fun situation where one day we helped the constable solve a murder in town (lawful good personality) only for me to kill him the next day when he attempted to question my chaotic evil personality on something unrelated.
    It was also fun because of the rest of the party. A lawful good cleric, a true neutral druid, lawful neutral fighter, and a chaotic neutral sorcerer. My character would essentially jump between the personalities of the rest of the party, seemingly at random to them.
    Last edited by Tharivol123; 2009-07-21 at 01:56 AM.
    Angel golfer avatar by Elrond.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are a d10: You are analytical, rational, and logical. You see the world around you as a succession of problems that can only be navigated via insightful and elegant solutions. You are not so interested in doing the right thing, as you are in finding the best way to do it. In other words, you're a complete nerd.
    Take the quiz at dicepool.com

24. - Top - End - #24

My favorite character currently is one Melriach Morimundus, Wizard of the Order of the Arcane Eye, Personal Advisor to Sir Sedgewick the Mighty, and Mechanomancer of Sambria.

He's an amoral crackpot who gives life to automatons (golems and effigy creatures) with abandon, caught up in the novelty of granting life to the lifeless. He studies captured elemental portals and the outlawed practice of necromancy not for personal gain, but simply because the knowledge is there. He is also about the least-effective wizard in combat in the world as far as his fellow PCs are concerned. Combats involving Melriach frequently involve castings of grease strewn about the battlefield and crumpled notes covered in explosive runes resisting dispel magic (and exploding) after being thrown toward the enemies while he holds his grinding war-machines back from the melee for fear of his precious creations getting damaged or destroyed.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

"Rogue Trader" (the original version) answered this one years back with the dictum that:

"Only the insane have the strength to prosper; only those who prosper judge truly what is sane."

What applies to GRIMDARK applies to D&D-land.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-07-21 at 05:34 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

As a DM, I roleplayed an NPC inspired by the same villain of 3x3 eyes that names my avatar, Kaiyanwang.

My K was like Parvati/Pai in the manga. Clearly a Schizophrenic. FUN.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Protip: when its quite obvious that the main villian can kill you in a single stroke, don't stand in the middle of the room, insult his man-hood, and then charge.
    It could have worked. Could.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

My current character is an extremely genki girl who loves to hit things with axes. Big axes. That are covered in electricity and force, and could really almost be called Power Axes. She also thinks she got a vision from the Goddess she worships more closely than others that she would end up falling in love with the Princess. This hasn't happened yet, but she did get to make out with her to break the domination spell on her after her first true Crowning Moment of Awesome.

Currently, she's somehow become second in command on a retrofitted airship that's about to go on a very suicidal mission in order to keep the country and continent safe from invaders. We'll see how that plays out.

But I think she counts as just a little crazy.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, most characters are delusional.

If they meet an orphan, they are sure he must have some sort of lost heritage.
    If they enter a town, they are convinced the town is in deep trouble, and they are the only ones around that can solve it.
    If they read a prophecy about "chosen ones", they will be sure it is about them or at least someone they know personally (like the orphan from the example above).
    They will be convinced that strong bad guys are personally after them, even when stronger good guys are around.
    They will also believe that they are the only ones that can stop that bad guy, never seriously seeking help beyond casual hints and funding.
    Basically, they think the world revolves around them.

Of course, more often than not, they are right.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Beat me to it.

My last character was a somewhat genre-savvy LE warblade of noble birth who tried to avoid as many villainous cliches as possible while still serving evil. A sample interrogation:

<snip>

Is that insane? You decide.
    Yeah, because he didn't actually interrogate the guy.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein