New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default [3.5] Help a DM out- Dragon skill points?

Hey all;

I was making a BBEG, an old Silver dragon that had been terrorising the underworld of Sharn (Eberron Campaign, obviously).

So here's the problem: How do you calculate the skill points for true dragons, with varying Int according to their age category?

What I've been thinking about doing was that the increased intelligence would not give them retrospective skill points, but that seriously complicates the character creation (having to consider, what, eight categories of advancement and when does a dragon gain a full increase in Int anyways?).

So I've done breakdown of a few dragon NPCs in the books, but they seem to come out all differently XD

If someone could just nudge me in the right direction, that'd be immensely helpful. Thanks :)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] Help a DM out- Dragon skill points?

Calculating skill points HD-by-HD just isn't worth it. Personally I just assume retroactive points and use current Int. Players will never know the difference and you won't lose twenty minutes of your life that you'll never get back.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    Calculating skill points HD-by-HD just isn't worth it. Personally I just assume retroactive points and use current Int. Players will never know the difference and you won't lose twenty minutes of your life that you'll never get back.
    Exactly. I mean, it depends on the dragon, but they probably won't really use more skills other than maybe Diplomacy, Intimidate, Sense Motive, Hide, Move Silently, or UMD. IF they even use all those.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

With a base 6+Int skillpoints for their racial HD, it's unlikely it'll be displaying uses of all of its skills regardless of your "fudging". Save yourself the time and just go with whatever the final mod is.