New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Appearance and Concealment

Hi.

I've got two simple questions regarding character creation.

First, anyone know of a spell, item or feat that allows for concealment?
    That is, that a 6th level sorcerer with standard WBL has access to. Assume any books.

With same restrictions as above, except this time it may be a wizard or sorcerer, anyone know of a spell, item or feat that allows on to change, in appearance only, into an ogre. It can be an illusion effect, a transmutation effect, or anything at all.

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Appearance and Concealment

Concealment? Well that's simple.
    Blur.

Not sure about the other one though. Alter Self won't work unless you're a Giant somehow, and Disguise Self won't let you become tall enough to pass as an ogre (unless you're already around 7 or 8 feet tall...)

I don't think it would be unbalanced to make a Greater Disguise Self though, if one doesn't exist already. Allow further, more dramatic changes and stuff.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2009-07-21 at 09:39 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    First, anyone know of a spell, item or feat that allows for concealment?
    That is, that a 6th level sorcerer with standard WBL has access to. Assume any books.
    Most of the Obscuring Mist style of spells offer concealment, but that causes you to suffer concealment against your foes as well, which I assume you don't want.

You can probably give yourself concealment through the judicious use of Silent Image and similiar spells.

If you're willing to drop 2 feats, you can pick up a Martial Maneuver (Wind Stride and Distracting Ember may be your best choices, since they don't require an attack roll) through Martial Study and then the Child of Shadow stance through Martial Stance. That will grant you concealment as long as you've moved that turn.

And there's also probably some other spells from other sources that I just don't feel like thinking about right now.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2009-07-21 at 09:41 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The problem with Blur is that I have to cast a new spell each time I enter combat. So that's more like an emergency option in case everything fails.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    The problem with Blur is that I have to cast a new spell each time I enter combat. So that's more like an emergency option in case everything fails.
    In that case I'd eat the two feats and get Child of Shadow. It is continuous, and, short of Persistant spells, I don't think you're going to get a permenant or long-duration concealment effect at level 6 without wasting spell slots.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Tome of Battle's Child of Shadows stance is the quickest, renewable way of achieving concealment, although it specifically does not allow one to use the concealment to hide in plain sight.

There's a blurring armor property in Magic Item Compendium, but it is an armor property, so you're going to have to get around ASF and proficiency.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Take the 'Dark creature' template. +1 LA, Hide in plain sight. That's only a move action to hide. If you really want to crack it out, go Dark Whispergnome.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht