New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 4e Illusions

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default 4e Illusions

I just realized that out of combat Illusions are just about nonexistant. The only way to make illusions is with fool's gold ritual or to take the fluff of Illusionist combat powers to the extreme. I suppose I could trick some people with my illusion style cantrips, but useful illusions are lacking. =\

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: 4e Illusions

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    I just realized that out of combat Illusions are just about nonexistant. The only way to make illusions is with fool's gold ritual or to take the fluff of Illusionist combat powers to the extreme. I suppose I could trick some people with my illusion style cantrips, but useful illusions are lacking. =\
    Um, you're completely glossing over Hallucinatory Creature and Hallucinatory Item, both of which are in the PHB.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    you're playing a game where the elven princess Starsinger* is throwing rainbows of doom at the poop-covered tentacle monster while riding a unicorn is a very possible scenario. wondering why the rogue can only throw a flurry of daggers once per day is a minor thing IMO.
    *Originally Starshimmer, but changed for the purposes of entertainment.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Didn't Dragon have a big old article on enhancing the illusionist powers of the wizard?
    I'd also rule that since the 4E spells are pretty much entirely combat (even healing has been simplified to the point the Cure X Wounds spells are daily powers rather than something you can cast all day long) that you could make arcana checks to craft spell effects like illusions. Or homebrew a ritual that lets a wizard prepare an illusion in advance to be released when a certain trigger is met.
    It could apply to lots of things. Druids could make seeds grow with high enough Nature checks, Warlords could make Diplomacy checks to help train a town militia to be better fighters, Clerics could turn water into wine with a very high religion check.

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-s1 View Post
    Um, you're completely glossing over Hallucinatory Creature and Hallucinatory Item, both of which are in the PHB.
    This is the internet! We have no place for facts here!
    Now with half the calories!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrmatt View Post
    Didn't Dragon have a big old article on enhancing the illusionist powers of the wizard?
    I'd also rule that since the 4E spells are pretty much entirely combat (even healing has been simplified to the point the Cure X Wounds spells are daily powers rather than something you can cast all day long) that you could make arcana checks to craft spell effects like illusions. Or homebrew a ritual that lets a wizard prepare an illusion in advance to be released when a certain trigger is met.
    It could apply to lots of things. Druids could make seeds grow with high enough Nature checks, Warlords could make Diplomacy checks to help train a town militia to be better fighters, Clerics could turn water into wine with a very high religion check.
    Much of what you are explaining are rituals, not skill checks. There are illusion spells for a wizard, and anything else should be a ritual. The problem is that there is nothing between "Combat speed power" and "10 minute rituals". I've been planning for over a year to re-write the ritual system, I might just get around to it too.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    Much of what you are explaining are rituals, not skill checks. There are illusion spells for a wizard, and anything else should be a ritual. The problem is that there is nothing between "Combat speed power" and "10 minute rituals". I've been planning for over a year to re-write the ritual system, I might just get around to it too.
    Wizards may be planning to tweak with certain rituals in various ways. In the recent Familiars of Eberron article, there is a familiar that lets you cast Unseen Servant for free with a standard action. We may see the same sorta things for other rituals.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

In a little box, inside a mad wizard´s hat

Use prestidigitation

It says that it can`t reproduce other power effect, and there is no power dealings with illusions.
    Three words that will save your ass from a lot of situations:

"Will", "Fortitude" and "Reflexes"

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-s1 View Post
    Oh good, there is something in there. Now I only need to house rule it so that it is useful at semi-combat casting speed. Is 1 minute for the ritual and 5 rounds to cast for the scroll ok?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

In theory, yes. In practice, combats will rarely last 5 rounds, and those that do will usually be decided anyways by that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!