New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Over powered?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Over powered?

I was thinking of having a metal in my game that cancels or disrupts magic so long as magic or a magic user is near it. Lazy as I am tho I wanted to know if anyone knows of a metal in some obscure setting that acts like this? If not is this to over powered?

Metal would be rare as Adamantine/Starmetal and cost twice as much. But would not be uncommon for larger city's/Kingdoms to use them for restraints or for evil/paranoid nobles to use.

Relative info DMing a 3.5 game
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Over powered?

Why am I suddenly reminded of The Gathering Darkness?
    Horrible shackles that make it so you can't use magic, ew, not a pretty sight.
    Personally I can't think of anything that already exists like it, but beware, for every rule, there is a game breaking abuse.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Well, having something cancel magic or magic-users nearby is akin to have a metal that is permanently an Anti-Magic Field. If you're wondering about overpowered, just think about how overpowered having little chunks of Anti-Magic Fields all over would be.
    Last edited by Xan_Kriegor; 2009-07-22 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Fixed some grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir
    By RAW, you can Craft three gold coins out of one, but that's probably not what you meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    You can also get the regeneration of limbs and even eventually raise the dead. Does that make casual amputation and murder an OK thing?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Not at all. There are very few ways for anti-magic to be overpowered.

Heck, I'm running a game where a particular anti-magic substance is dirt cheap. It doesn't disrupt magic, but effectively serves as a "No" for spells trying to damage/penetrate it. Of course, it's far too dense and hard to work to be made into viable weapons or armor.

However it makes a fine material for walls and buildings, which combined with a sort of anti-magic forcefield it makes fortresses & walled cities fairly meaningful structures even in a world with flying, teleporting, poison-gas cloud spewing, monster summoning, fire-shooting casters, dragons and other nasties running around.

Having a few very expensive items that cause short-range disruption to magic powers is far from a problem. Good luck forcing a standard caster to get within 1000ft of the stuff though, unless it's totally undetectable.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Doesn't forgotten realms have gems or something similar that causes that effect? It's not overpowered, go for it.