Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb General Anime Discussion (née The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

I just watched the first episode, and I'm REALLY confused. All I see is a pile of shameless fanservice. Does this get better?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Yes, the first episode has a point. Though I'd argue it's rather brilliant if you pay attention to the dialogue of the narrator and not just what's going on itself.

In the club I run, I haven't shown the first episode first though, but the second. Because I am aware how for many, the first was hit or miss for them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Poison_Fish
    Yes, the first episode has a point. Though I'd argue it's rather brilliant if you pay attention to the dialogue of the narrator and not just what's going on itself.

In the club I run, I haven't shown the first episode first though, but the second. Because I am aware how for many, the first was hit or miss for them.
    I would probably do that same and then show the 1st episode somewhere in the middle. Or I could put it into episode order but the show has no real closure that way.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm ending with the first episode, actually.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The first episode is rather impressive if you stop and look at how much detail the animators actually included in order to make it look like a bad amateur film This blog post breaks the gaffes down quite well. Keep in mind that most of these "errors" can't occur with animation unless the animators actually intentionally add them in.

Of course, as big a Haruhi fan as I am, it wasn't until the second episode that I was totally hooked. Give it a few more episodes.

Lastly, after you see the whole season/series, go back and watch episode 1 again... it'll give you a completely different perspective on it.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Ah, I see. Aired anachronologically, eh?

I revise my opinion. Kyon. Is. Awesome. Sarcasm and a hardy sanity, FTW.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Casualgamer
    Ah, I see. Aired anachronologically, eh?

I revise my opinion. Kyon. Is. Awesome. Sarcasm and a hardy sanity, FTW.
    Kyon rocks, but Haruhi-sama rules all.

Personally, for the girls, I say: Haruhi > Yuki > Tsuruya > Mikuru > all.

For the chronology, it's a rather different experience watching in "proper" order (Kyon's, if you listen to the next episode previews, which I recommend as they are quite amusing) vs. the aired order (Haruhi's order in the previews). [On a semi-related note, it's anachronically rather than anachronologically, apparantly - deriving from anachronism/anachronic.]

Wait til you get to episode 12 (either order). "Live Alive" is fantastic - I watched it about 4 times in a row in its entirety, and a certain part about 15 times in a row.
    Last edited by Gorbash Kazdar; 2006-10-30 at 06:23 AM.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I've watched a bit of this, up to episode five. The first time, is it better to watch it chronologically or how it's aired? Does watching the weird way enhance the experience?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh.. old thread.

I'd say watch it how it was aired. Then go back and watch it the other way. That's at least how I did it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I acutally watched it the other way first. Everything was much more clear/funny/in depth. Like in the first (I think) episode when Haruhi messes with someone's bow or something like this. You wouldn't get the reference unless you saw the last episode.

Yuki is my fav. She's so cool. Especially with a cat on her shoulder.

Oh, also. Best. Animation. Ever.
    sign by egobuttz

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I couldn't stand watching it the 'wrong' way (i.e. ending with episode 13). A the person who introduced me pointed out, it gets really big in the middle, with not much happening either side if you do it that way.

Also, episode 6 is a much better way to end the series

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oohh, yes. Personally a Yuki fan. Cool-deres are IN!
    Then Haruhi>Tsuruya-san>>Kyon's Sister>Mikuru

Read the light novel also, and the amount of detail translated into the first episode is amazing. Kyoto really out did themselves the series, really hoping they have a second season, or an OVA at least.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

There are rumors of a 2nd season of Haruhi coming out this fall or fall of 08 spread about the internet.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2007-02-16 at 03:38 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

... if true, then that is made of WIN!

15. - Top - End - #15

Those were confirmed as rumors. Kyoto is working on another project...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yes, those are rumors for sure. Nothing is set in stone until a studio decides to open it's mouth.

From a business stand point as well, it might be better to wait a bit longer for a 2nd season after sales hit other regions and let the fandom perpetuate itself (As is being done on Youtube by both Japanese and Americans with parodies etc.).

17. - Top - End - #17

Well, all the DVDs are out in Japan, and the Haruhi dance is still going strong (especially with the full version out...I've only seen one parody though so far...guessing it's too difficult?)

18. - Top - End - #18

Aw, I want more SHnY now! Guess I'll just have to settle for blowing several paychecks on the DVDs...

Having watched it in both orders, I agree with Poison Fish - watching it in Kyon/aired order and then watching it in Haruhi/chronological order gives you a different perspective on the whole series. Really, seeing it more than once is a good idea - the first episode (the awful/great amateur film) is completely spoiler-iffic, but that only becomes clear when you go back and watch it after seeing the rest of the series.

Spoiler
    Show
    IIRC, in the light novels it explains that Kyon tells Haruhi the real story after the incident shown in the last episode, which she dismisses as ridiculous, and then uses as the basis for her student film.
    Last edited by Gorbash Kazdar; 2007-02-16 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Mixed up who gives which episode order.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, you remember correctly. The chapter on the filming of that "movie" is one of the most amusing parts of the books--Shamisen in particular is a riot.

Aren't you getting your orders mixed, though? I'm pretty sure Haruhi's the one who's calling out the chronological ep numbers in the previews and Kyon who's sticking to the order aired. (That, combined with starting on aired-episode 2, confused the living daylights out of my anime club. And let me tell you, trying to explain it to them was amusing.)
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    I'm pretty sure Haruhi's the one who's calling out the chronological ep numbers in the previews and Kyon who's sticking to the order aired.
    This is correct, Haruhi is calling out the chronological order and Kyon is calling out the aired order. I think seeing it the aired order first really brings out the rewatch value. You formulate all kinds of theories on what in the world is happening, while getting those random incidents getting packed in the middle. Also, watching it in the way it aired gives it a much more dramatic ending. Then watching in the chronological order, now everything makes sense, and you see the things you missed when watching it achronologically. Then you just watch it again, just because it's awesome. And for good measure, another time.

Spoiler
    Show
    There has been a chaptor on the first episode, then a whole book on the making of the movie. Reading this explains the flash from Mikuru's eyes when she uses Mikuru beam, and also why Yuki attacks her. Also, the movie had some things like white pigeons and sakura blooms in the fall, and the novel explains how all this happens. There's a wiki working on a translation of the light novels, here's a link, Haruhi Novels. The novels do get a bit boring after awhile, and I think SHnY is one of those rare cases where the adapted media has a higher level of perfection than the original media.

Favorite episodes? Mine would be Days of Sattigarus, just because Yuki is awesome, then Live A Live, then.....arghh, I like them all too much to choose specifically!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_the_Enchanter View Post
    This is correct, Haruhi is calling out the chronological order and Kyon is calling out the aired order. I think seeing it the aired order first really brings out the rewatch value. You formulate all kinds of theories on what in the world is happening, while getting those random incidents getting packed in the middle. Also, watching it in the way it aired gives it a much more dramatic ending. Then watching in the chronological order, now everything makes sense, and you see the things you missed when watching it achronologically. Then you just watch it again, just because it's awesome. And for good measure, another time.
    My bad, corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_the_Enchanter View Post
    Favorite episodes? Mine would be Days of Sattigarus, just because Yuki is awesome, then Live A Live, then.....arghh, I like them all too much to choose specifically!
    I agree with the last part for sure. But, if I had to pick, "Live Alive" would be my top choice. I really liked "The Day of Sagittarius" and "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" as well. But I love the main arc in its entirety, especially "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI." "Someday in the Rain" is a favorite of mine as well... Okay, I better stop before I just list every episode.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

On a different note, anyone actually try dancing out the ED? The old or the new one.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

ED? I assume you mean the Hare Hare Yukai dance.

No, I don't think I've seen anyone actually dance it, but dances like that are quite commonplace, and I can easily imagine dancers doing that at a concert.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    Okay, I better stop before I just list every episode.
    It isn't hard, there's only 14 (or is it 15, 16 maybe, can't be 17).
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I watched the first episode, and decided not to watch the rest of the show simply because there was too much "fan service" in the first episode.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    I watched the first episode, and decided not to watch the rest of the show simply because there was too much "fan service" in the first episode.
    The first episode is a joke. At least watch the second one. And what's with the scare quotes?
    My avatar is from Wanko to Kurusou.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    There isn't too much fanservice in the first episode. They even cut out exactly when they had to. It was hardly 1 panty shot a scene material (not that such things exist, they're ether better than that or a lot worse).

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    My bad, corrected.

I agree with the last part for sure. But, if I had to pick, "Live Alive" would be my top choice. I really liked "The Day of Sagittarius" and "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" as well. But I love the main arc in its entirety, especially "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI." "Someday in the Rain" is a favorite of mine as well... Okay, I better stop before I just list every episode.
    I'm fairly fond of the second episode simply because of Kyon's opening monologue and his speech to Haruhi about inventions and geniuses.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    I'm fairly fond of the second episode simply because of Kyon's opening monologue and his speech to Haruhi about inventions and geniuses.
    Indeed. The opening monologue is simply excellent. I found myself drawing parallels with my life right from the start, which really shows how well the characters were designed. Thumbs up to Nagaru Tanigawa.

On a side note, has anyone tried any alternative viewing orders besides screen and chrono? I watched Chronologically 1-3, then all the shorts, then back to 4, 5 and 6 at the end. Worked for me :).

30. - Top - End - #30

Well one of the things I adore about this show is the philosophy that crops up. It is because of this philosophy that everything is so ambiguous and mysterious.

For example, when Mikuru tells Kyon about her 'true identity,' she challenges the assumption that time is continuous and linear. Koizumi also gives the same idea when he raises the question of whether the world was created 3 years ago during Haruhi's 'awakening.' The nature of Haruhi's identity is one of those fun little mysteries. Is she a school girl that gained powers? Or is she God? Or merely just *a* god? Maybe she's an extragalactic alien with amnesia?

Also, one of the more interesting questions is, "where exactly does Kyon fit into Haruhi's cosmology?" He's supposedly ordinary, but he's obviously a startling mystery of his own because "ordinary people" shouldn't be drawn in to Haruhi. Was his meeting with Haruhi fate or merely happenstance? Kyon certainly hopes it's the latter. (The novels provide some evidence that the former might be true.)

Yuki also raises the idea of a digital reality. She can be viewed as a sentient AI that is a "program" living within a universal "computer," and is able to affect the other programs and bits of data that's stored with her. Humans are much the same, but are subject to a greater number of restrictions. Her alien brethren and powers are really quite abstract to humans, although to Yuki, they're quite real and normal.

The overarching theme to the paragraphs above is that that the show explores the limits of human perceptions. Memory can be faulty but we let it govern our identities. We *assume* time and movement are continuous. How would your recognize God if you met him/her/it? How do you tell the difference between fate, probability or coincidence? What exactly is observable by our scientific institutions and what is not?
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2007-02-25 at 11:59 AM.