New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Uncommon bonus types.

First of all, does anyone have any idea about how much a Stat Boosting item should cost when it uses a non-standard bonus type? I'm currently working on triple the price of the Enhancement Bonus version (eg. Periapt of Wisdom), but that's just because no-one's told me otherwise.

Other than that I need as many bonus types that can be forged into an item as you can give me. My list so far consists of:

- Enhancement
    - Inherent
    - Unnamed

Thanks in advance.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Uncommon bonus types.

I don't know of any outright restrictions on whether a bonus can be added to an item, so:
    - Sacred
    - Profane
    - Exalted
    - Vile
    - Luck
    - Competence
    - Insight

Now, there are other bonus types that are limited in what they can be applied to, like deflection or resistance. I assume you're not worried about those.

Actually, the one thing I'd seriously doubt is that an inherent bonus can be added to an item. I thought they came only via wish spells, tomes and manuals, and that sort of thing?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I don't know of any outright restrictions on whether a bonus can be added to an item, so:
    - Sacred
    - Profane
    - Exalted
    - Vile
    - Luck
    - Competence
    - Insight

Now, there are other bonus types that are limited in what they can be applied to, like deflection or resistance. I assume you're not worried about those.

Actually, the one thing I'd seriously doubt is that an inherent bonus can be added to an item. I thought they came only via wish spells, tomes and manuals, and that sort of thing?
    How did I forget those three, they're the basics. And Inherent came from a Tome, I was just typing up bonuses I already had.

Thanks much.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Perfection bonus. I think that's from BoED.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Circumstance
    Alchemical

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Morale, from stuff like Bless.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks fr the amazingly quick responses everyone. I've taken a lot of these and now I'm out of money. My Save DC's thank you all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Also, there exists a 'Racial' type. Just listing for completeness.

9. - Top - End - #9

There are also unnamed bonuses (which always stack).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

If a person has a Sacred and a Profane Bonus to the Same stat, do they stack or cancel each other out?

I have a ring giving a Profane Bonus of 6 to Cha, but a Homebrew Vestige I'm thinking of using gives a +4 Sacred Bonus. So do I get +10, or +2?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    If a person has a Sacred and a Profane Bonus to the Same stat, do they stack or cancel each other out?

I have a ring giving a Profane Bonus of 6 to Cha, but a Homebrew Vestige I'm thinking of using gives a +4 Sacred Bonus. So do I get +10, or +2?
    There's nothing in rules that say one way or another. But common sense says you don't get sacred bonus if you're not good, and you don't get profane bonus if you're not evil...

12. - Top - End - #12

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    But common sense says you don't get sacred bonus if you're not good, and you don't get profane bonus if you're not evil...
    I forget which, but Complete Divine or Complete Champion has a number of devotion feats that give sacred or profane bonuses. You get a sacred bonus if your deity is good or neutral: not just good.

13. - Top - End - #13

SolithKnightGuy

+10, although DM's are warned to look out for these kind of things as they can get rather abusive.
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

According to the magic item creation tables, items that give bonuses that they don't have an affinity for cost 1.5 times more than if they do, which is a rough guideline for an ability boost using other than enhancement bonuses, at least according to the d20SRD. The MIC probably has better guidelines on such, though I don't have access to mine to check right now for such.

As for types that would apply, when looking at the bonus types section, it would appear that Enhancement, Morale, Profane, Racial, Sacred and Size bonuses would apply to ability scores, as Insight, Competence and Luck seem more in tune with applying to directly to checks, not to the ability scores behind them. Vile, Exalted and Perfection could also apply, though it would seem to me that Sacred and Exalted, as well as Profane and Vile, would be from the same source, differing scales of good and evil, so I don't know whether they should overlap but that's just me. I also don't like the idea of having both sets of bonus types at the same time, as I don't see the powers of good and evil wanting to mix and that's just thematically cheesy to do, if you ask me.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

First of all, does anyone have any idea about how much a Stat Boosting item should cost when it uses a non-standard bonus type? I'm currently working on triple the price of the Enhancement Bonus version (eg. Periapt of Wisdom), but that's just because no-one's told me otherwise.
    In game balance terms, the answer is "none" - it has no price because it shouldn't be available. Stacking constant non-enhancement ability bonuses is ridiculously broken at higher levels - it's trivial to create a character with Save DCs that simply can't be made.

I'd consider what you're doing abuse of the custom item rules, and would recommend against it. The custom item rules have a "DM approval only" tag for exactly this reason. You'll probably dominate the game in the short term, but the long term results are unlikely to be good.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    In game balance terms, the answer is "none" - it has no price because it shouldn't be available. Stacking constant non-enhancement ability bonuses is ridiculously broken at higher levels - it's trivial to create a character with Save DCs that simply can't be made.

I'd consider what you're doing abuse of the custom item rules, and would recommend against it. The custom item rules have a "DM approval only" tag for exactly this reason. You'll probably dominate the game in the short term, but the long term results are unlikely to be good.

- Saph
    I've sent the DM a list of the particulars, so I'll see what he says. I agree it's a bit broken, but compared to other players I'm actually playing catchup still.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

This is for Gods Among Men, right? No, this totally fits power-wise. Some of those bonus types can't be applied to ablilites: Luck, Circumstance, Competence, to name a few. Because those represent bonuses to an attempt at doing something (save, attack), not something static like an ability score. But the others are probably OK. Do check with Regord...
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    This is for Gods Among Men, right? No, this totally fits power-wise. Some of those bonus types can't be applied to ablilites: Luck, Circumstance, Competence, to name a few. Because those represent bonuses to an attempt at doing something (save, attack), not something static like an ability score. But the others are probably OK. Do check with Regord...
    Those ones are being added to Binding DC's ala the Soul Lens, rather than my Charisma.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

To my knowledge, Dodge, untyped, Racial, and Circumstance stack, if from difference sources.
    This is true for one system I saw and I'm pretty sure true for D&D 3.5. I guess if it's all one item, stacking doesn't matter, but if you have other equipment or innate abilities.

I've seen an Enhancement bonus to Fort saves via a Magic of Incarnum soulmeld and I think Haste gives a +1 Dodge bonus to Refl saves, so I'm Dodge. Dodge bonus to Dex? I'm not sure what your rules-limits are.

20. - Top - End - #20

Was there any list of these bonuses or explanation of which ones stack in the SRD, perchance?

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

I've sent the DM a list of the particulars, so I'll see what he says. I agree it's a bit broken, but compared to other players I'm actually playing catchup still.
    I guess it could work in a high-powered campaign . . . maybe. If you do the maths, you'll see that the higher level you get, the more bonuses you can afford, until by level 15 you can easily have a primary ability score of 50 or so. Still, it's up to your DM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!