New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Beguiler Gear

A strange thing happened at last night's game - during our shopping spree in the city of Greyhawk, the Beguiler in our group actually couldn't find anything worth spending his 10,000 gp on. In the end, he ended up buying only 1 Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend.

We are allowed items from the DMG and MIC - the only thing the DM has disallowed in the magic item sets in the MIC. He is a 10th level Beguiler, and has a magic Mithril Shirt, 2 rings (Fire Resistance plus a custom one from the module), Boots of Elvenkind, Rapier, Bow, Gloves of Dexterity and Headband of Intellect. His Intelligence is already very high.

Any items that you would suggest? His UMD is OK, but not great, if that makes a difference.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Beguiler Gear

Decanter of Endless Water.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Eternal wands are what I'd go with. Have him pick up one for spells that he doesn't use all the time, but that could be occasionally helpful. An eternal wand of identify, for instance, isn't in the MIC, but would only cost 920gp, if I've done my math correctly, and would let him identify two items per day without having to pay the 100gp or use a spell or scroll or whatever. And remember, eternal wands work for ANY arcane caster; you don't even have to have the spell on your spell list.

Also, for things he'd use more than twice a day but doesn't want to waste a slot on (shield, mage armor, etc.), normal wands are EASY to UMD - it's only a flat DC 20, and there's no chance of magical mishap. Knock, for instance, could be a good one, and it might even be on his list (I don't have PHB2 on me), meaning he doesn't even need to UMD it.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-07-27 at 04:56 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm assuming he's already got an item to increase his int as much as possible. Possibly Cha and Con as well?

A few possible MIC options:

Bracers of Arcane Freedom - for casting more subtly.
    Robe of Mysterious Conjuration - hilarious to mix in a few real monsters with your illusions. Just as someone has you pegged, you throw a pair of real critters at them. Plus, it gives them something to contribute when only the real thing will do.
    Mask of silent trickery - goes with the Bracers
    Third Eye concentrate - never fail another concentration check again!
    Boots of levitation - for when the illusions go terribly, therribly wrong
    Periapt of the Sullen Sea is good well beyond nautical campaigns. Note that it's not "water breathing" for 12 hours, but "holding your breath" for twelve hours. Airless, extraplanar, poison-gas-filled environments? No problem. And Freedom of Movement is definitely something beguilers want to have handy, especially in a "I don't have to wave my arms and spout words" form.

Good luck!
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Hmm...

Handy Haversack is always... handy.

Cloak of Resistance?

Feather Tokens can come in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure if Mesmerist's Gloves are MIC. If so, they're lovely to own for the extra target on your hesitate spell twice a day.

Cursed items can be a lot of fun. Imagine disguising yourself as an ogre guard captain and commanding your fellows to throw a pouch of "Dust of Appearance" (actually Dust of Sneezing and Choking) in a room that you just cast ghost sound into.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Utility scrolls are always useful, esp. of he's the only arcane caster in the group. An eternal wand of shrink person is AWESOME, as it gives you +5 to hide, which stacks with all other sources (except other sizing effects).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Anything from the Raiment of the Four set in MIC would be good to have. A Circlet of Rapid Casting will be amazing once he can afford it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tree feather token. Solves any situation, and nobody ever sees it coming.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    We are allowed items from the DMG and MIC - the only thing the DM has disallowed in the magic item sets in the MIC.
    Raiment of the Four / Periapt of the Sullen Sea are magic item sets.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed - the Raiment of the Four was one of the first things he looked at, but the DM has disallowed sets for the time being.

Good call on the other items, particularly Mesmerist's Gloves and Eternal Wands.

12. - Top - End - #12

umm.
    my first instinct was 10,000 gp of block onyx gems, but he's a beguiler and i don't think they can use thoe for anything.
    you all see where i'm going with that.
    It'ld help if we knew the lvl.

Stockpile it, then get Armour of invunerability. (it's a +5 enchantment, roughly 30,000. but gives you DR5/magic. It's what i bought when i couldnt think of anything)

you're 2,000gp short of a clay golem manual.
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

13. - Top - End - #13

it says hes tenth level

please PEACH my homebrew
    The Essence Seeker

I am a

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A Chaotic Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-17
    Constitution-13
    Intelligence-19
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Get a melee weapon but never use it. Instead use the wand hidden inside its wand chamber. (See Dungeonscape for the wand chamber)

Wand of Shocking Gasp + wand chamber rapier = Tazer rapier. :D

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxinabox View Post
    Stockpile it, then get Armour of invunerability. (it's a +5 enchantment, roughly 30,000. but gives you DR5/magic. It's what i bought when i couldnt think of anything)
    By the time he can afford a +5 armor, DR5/Magic will have become completely useless as at that level next to all enemys will be carrying magic weapons... and even if they don't, its still only DR 5.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Items to improve AC or give DR aren't that much use - it's been a long time since this character got hit by a weapon, between Greater Mirror Image and his other spells...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

See if he can change the headband of intellect into a circlet of rapid casting and intellect (which he can't yet afford) by "transferring" the magic (since by the rules in the back of MIC I believe you must start with the circlet and then add the intellect onto it; instead, buy the circlet and pay a bit to have the magic transferred). Circlet of mages is good as well, especially for a spontaneous caster (hell of a lot cheaper than their version of pearls of power).
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quall's Feather Token: Tree. What situation can't be helped by a big tree?
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.