New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default I'm going to cry.

I've been working on maps, NPC statblocks, dialogue, NPC tokens since yesterday morning. And then, and then today, right before the session is about to start - when it's all almost done - someone decides that it's easier to flip switches at random in the fusebox instead of finding the chart that lists which switches go to where.

-sob-

Photoshop doesn't have an 'autosave' feature and I do most of my shorthand writing in Textpad, which doesn't have it on by default.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2009-07-26 at 03:04 PM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: I'm going to cry.

And an important lesson is learned, Ie. save your data every half hour or so.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ouch, that sucks, I wish I could tell you there was some way to recover it all, but if it was never saved, there's nothing to recover
    Last edited by Moriato; 2009-07-26 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I've been working on maps, NPC statblocks, dialogue, NPC tokens since yesterday morning. And then, and then today, right before the session is about to start - when it's all almost done - someone decides that it's easier to flip switches at random in the fusebox instead of finding the chart that lists which switches go to where.

-sob-

Photoshop doesn't have an 'autosave' feature and I do most of my shorthand writing in Textpad, which doesn't have it on by default.
    <;_;> I feel your pain. I learned that lesson with my artwork <x.x> I'd gotten so engrossed in it that when the electricity went out I was probably 80% done.

This taught me to save. A lot. ><
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire
    -sob-
    Damn. That's happened to me, too. On more than one occasion.
    We need some humour to lighten the mood. This is best done by laughing at you and your misfortune.
    Har har har.

Nah, that didn't work. Maybe that old "Jesus saves!" joke would do the trick?
    Last edited by Comet; 2009-07-26 at 03:13 PM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6

PirateCaptain

ouch...I'm sorry....but yea...save and save often. If you think about saving you should save, if you get up from your pc, save, if you realized you became distracted, save.

I'm sorry though...I've lost hours of work myself when I had learn that lesson.
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

While I have never had this level of pain, I have had several occasions where I am working on piece, and then have my big toe nudge the power bar switch.
    Oops.
    Now the power bar is far away from any possible toe related nudgery. And I save, and save, and save.
    The trouble is, saving can derail the train of thought.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-07-26 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8

The only other time I've lost work like this was when my surge protector's power button was right by my toe. But I -do- keep autosave on with OpenOffice... just not the other stuff.

I'm going to go drown my sorrows in the remaining cup of ice cream we have.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It sucks when that happens. All I can say is that you need to learn from this experience so that it never happens again: train yourself to hit Ctrl+S every few minutes, or whenever you're not doing anything else.

Or do it on Google Docs. Doing all your writing on Google Docs means that not only is it autosaved every so often, somebody else is making sure that the data is all backed up in case of a server meltdown.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Ice cream is the great solver of problems <^-^>m This is why my fridge is currently stocked with both Coffee and Chocolate flavors >.>m

(Okay it may also be because I have a HUGE sweet tooth)
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    Or do it on Google Docs. Doing all your writing on Google Docs means that not only is it autosaved every so often, somebody else is making sure that the data is all backed up in case of a server meltdown.
    I am -not- giving the Google machine any more steam than it already has. :|

The chocolate ice cream is helping my sorrows.

12. - Top - End - #12

I've had something along those lines happen as well, but it was that I wasn't aware that my laptop charger wasn't working, and that the battery has a fairly short lifespan these days. My stuff on OpenOffice survived, but the little notes I was taking in Notepad did not.

Anyway, sorry to hear that!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Writer protip: take three deep breaths, say 'second draft' and go at it while it's fresh. It will be better, trust me. Second drafts are the biggest changes and inheirantly superior. If you're feeling really defeated, play with a pen and paper or visio and doodle a diagram or something, keep a shred of momentum and what you had originally.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

For more prevention, use an uninterruptible power supply. And stock up on ice cream.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Fortunately, this has never happened to me, because I got into the Ctrl-S-after-every-sentence habit before something like this happened rather than in reaction to it. Aside from compulsive saving, two things have helped me avoid this: (1) Using a laptop. If your power dies and you have even 30 seconds of battery left, that's enough time to save and close everything. (2) Using programs with document recovery. In OpenOffice, if the power suddenly dies and you haven't saved a document recently, it'll recover the document the next time you open it. (Don't know if Word does this too, I haven't used MS stuff in years.)

The moral of the story is that writing shorthand in Notepad is probably not the best idea, and if you don't use a graphics program with autosave, Ctrl-S is your best friend. Switching to OO Writer and GIMP should prevent this from happening again. [/proselytizing]
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

16. - Top - End - #16

Word was the first to do it, remember OpenOffice is largely a copy. :P I use OpenOffice for actual writing.

TextPad has an autosave feature and I guess I'll be using it from now on. I like having fewer buttons and margin worries when I'm writing notes. As for GIMP, I'm staying far, far away. That thing is a pain to use.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2009-07-26 at 03:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

By my count, I've lost three essays and a short story to power outages. I also lost power once in the middle of signing up for classes online, after I had gotten up a six a.m. in order to get good spots.

Microscopic nuclear power sources can not come soon enough.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Instead of saving regularly from now on you should make a point of not saving. Every minute that goes by without saving will be an adrenaline packed thrill- ride of danger, since you know the dangers of it first hand. Now is the time to spit in the face of lost data and live on the edge.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I've lost a good six hours progress on an art piece I'd been working on, due to nothing more than our crappy wiring. Considering I make my living selling my art, that was about the same as going to work for nearly a full day, and then being told that you weren't getting paid because "oops". I had to spend the next day re-doing everything again... when I could have been moving on to my next commission.

I feel your pain. It DID teach me to always save my stuff every ten or fifteen minutes, though.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Astral, that sucks, I know just what that feels like.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Save often and also keep a hard copy or print out of what you've done.
    Perception is reality.

Non Sum Qualis Eram.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Once I had finished some homework and (without saving first) left for a sec.. My dad has a habit of catching my PC almost every time I leave so he just logged on to check some email and then exited.. When he was asked if he would like to save changes, he automaticly clicked "No".. The email window wasn't full size and he clicked near the X but instead of the email.. MY HOMEWORK. Had to waste a few more hours to re-make that stuff...

23. - Top - End - #23

On the very small upside, if you manage to gather the mental fortitude to redo any of this stuff, odds are you'll make half of it better and double its size with some other things you've thought of along the way. I had a forced rewrite like that five years back or so when my computer was still melting down once per year - lost over a hundred pages of combined world mythology and creatures. The good news was that much of it sucked and this let me take a fresh shot at it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakyn View Post
    On the very small upside, if you manage to gather the mental fortitude to redo any of this stuff, odds are you'll make half of it better and double its size with some other things you've thought of along the way. I had a forced rewrite like that five years back or so when my computer was still melting down once per year - lost over a hundred pages of combined world mythology and creatures. The good news was that much of it sucked and this let me take a fresh shot at it.
    This is very true.

I actually deleted one of my stories some time back because, although it was OK as it was, I knew if I forced myself to do it all over again (and without being able to simply re-copy it... that is - I'd have to do it from scratch, but with the 'general ideas' still in place, rather than going word-for-word) It'd come out better.

And it did. (I did however yell and scream at myself the entire way through the process >.< because every time I wanted to give up I had to realize "... give up = no story" >.<)
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

What do you need, for what system, and when do you need it by, AF? You've amused me on a number of occasions so I freely offer my assistance. Please contact me via listed means or PM.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-07-26 at 06:24 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

26. - Top - End - #26

OldWizardGuy

Yeah the worst thing that's ever happened is someone broke into my car and took all my DnD stuff, including a binder with the stats and maps of an entire world I built. I'm still trying to picture what a "DnD Thug" looks like...

27. - Top - End - #27

Protip: Write on a laptop with Word.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    What do you need, for what system, and when do you need it by, AF? You've amused me on a number of occasions so I freely offer my assistance. Please contact me via listed means or PM.
    That's... incredibly kind of you Tidesinger, and thank you for the compliment as well. But this is part of an on-going campaign, and one member is having significant real life difficulties; by the time the power came back on, we'd agreed to delay this session another week.

Thanks for the encouragement as well, to those who offered.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gan The Grey View Post
    Yeah the worst thing that's ever happened is someone broke into my car and took all my DnD stuff, including a binder with the stats and maps of an entire world I built. I'm still trying to picture what a "DnD Thug" looks like...
    He looks suspiciously like a DM who forgot to plan for his session later that night.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Conjob View Post
    Nah, that didn't work. Maybe that old "Jesus saves!" joke would do the trick?
    Jesus Saves.

I think I will add to this thread with my completely unique statement:
    Dude, that sucks hardcore. How many hours of work did you lose?