New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

confused Please help a noob...

Hello, I'm new to this forum and tabletop games, so bear with me, okay? I found Order of the Stick a few months back and it hooked me immediately. I was interested in the way the world worked, so I looked into D&D on the Net. It looked really cool but unfortunately nowhere gave me tips for starting up a D&D group. First, if by some amazing chance someone on here lives in St Andrews, Scotland, and is looking to start a group, please PM me. Second, could people with experience at D&D give me some pointers please? Thanks a lot in advance.

Also, I'm trying to start an OOTS thread on the Official Nintendo Magazine forums, so if you go on there, look it up in the Off Topic forum!
    Amazingly cool avatar by Mauve Shirt. May she ever be promoted and not demoted! *promotes*
    Books are a mind-altering substance. Therefore, I am high all the time.
    My old avatars. Thanks, y'all!
    Some poetry I've written. Constructive criticism warmly welcomed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Please help a noob...

I'd check out the Finding Players board for starters.

If you want advice, you're really going to have to be more specific, I'm afraid. The most general advice I can give for tabletopping is the same you can give for any social situation.

1. Don't be a jerk.
    2. You typically get as much consideration and entertainment as you give.
    3. Don't be too self-conscious.
    4. Have fun.

Well, wait, I can give one more piece of advice-

5. Don't be picky.

Rulesets and settings tend to matter less than the group you are doing it with, in my opinion. If you're just trying to find a group, if they seem like good guys but they're playing Vampire: The Subtitling, go for it. The right group can make any game fun and the wrong group can ruin any campaign. Use them to build connections, and find people who want to play what you want to play. You may end up enjoying Vampire: The Subtitling (or whatever else you run into - 3E, 4E, 2E, FATAL, FUDGE, GURPS, Shadowrun) in the long run anyway, should you keep an open mind. I'm picky, but I'm already very well acquainted with several rulesets and am too lazy to learn more.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2009-07-27 at 03:35 PM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBibliophile View Post
    Second, could people with experience at D&D give me some pointers please?
    0x3A28213A, 0x6339392C, 0x7363682E

But seriously, you're going to have to be more specific than that - there's a lot of things people could give pointers about.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Find your local gaming/hobby store.

Or, bug your friends to play with you.
    Last edited by HamHam; 2009-07-27 at 03:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

As a warning, if you're a perfectionist, you may not enjoy starting up your own group before you're experienced - because starting a group usually means that you will be DM, in my experience. And I'm a perfectionist, so I hate DMing a system I am not very familiar with - makes me feel as though I am failing my PCs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

In general, I think the best thing to do when first starting is to have some folks that already play so they can help you learn the rules. Now, I'm not from anywhere CLOSE to you, so I can't suggest specific places, but do you know any hobby or gaming shops in the area? Places where people might go to play or buy stuff for, say, Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, Warhammer, or the like? If so, that'd be the best place to start.

I did some digging around online, and the two closest stores I could find are Kingdoms of Adventure, in Kirkcaldy, and Black Lion Games in Edinburgh. If you could get to either of those places, I'm sure there'll be tons of folks that would help you get into D&D.

EDIT: There also seems to be a Games Workshop store in Dundee, which is only about 20km away.

EDIT2: And a place called the Nappy Pin in Cupar, but I don't know if they'd have D&D stuff - sounds more like a hobby/craft store. It is listed on the Games Workshop site, though.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-07-27 at 03:46 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Buy Witchcraft.

Or, if you want, you can find the .pdf for free on RPGNow.com.

Other games you might want to look into are Runequest, Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Edition, Exalted, nWoD and All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

...I know I don't sound really useful, but trust me, this is great advice.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say if there is any gaming convention I'm sure there is plenty there. I play at least game of dnd at each con I've gone to (a total of 2).
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random832 View Post

But seriously, you're going to have to be more specific than that - there's a lot of things people could give pointers about.
    Sorry. I meant pointers on starting a D&D group.
    Amazingly cool avatar by Mauve Shirt. May she ever be promoted and not demoted! *promotes*

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    In general, I think the best thing to do when first starting is to have some folks that already play so they can help you learn the rules. Now, I'm not from anywhere CLOSE to you, so I can't suggest specific places, but do you know any hobby or gaming shops in the area? Places where people might go to play or buy stuff for, say, Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, Warhammer, or the like? If so, that'd be the best place to start.

I did some digging around online, and the two closest stores I could find are Kingdoms of Adventure, in Kirkcaldy, and Black Lion Games in Edinburgh. If you could get to either of those places, I'm sure there'll be tons of folks that would help you get into D&D.

EDIT: There also seems to be a Games Workshop store in Dundee, which is only about 20km away.

EDIT2: And a place called the Nappy Pin in Cupar, but I don't know if they'd have D&D stuff - sounds more like a hobby/craft store. It is listed on the Games Workshop site, though.
    Wow. You are an awesome and very nice person. Thanks a lot, I'll try and get in contact with them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's the wrong season for it really, but it might be worth trying the university when the new academic year starts up. Failing St. Andrews itself, I have a friend who's part of Dundee/Abertay University's Role Playing Group.

Unfortunately, most of my knowledge is closer to Stirling and Edinburgh/West Lothian which I'd guess is further than you'd want to travel, but when I next see my Dundee based friend, I'll point him to this thread and hpefully he'll be able to post and help you a bit more.

Edit: Bandil's post's reminded me of two role playing conventions next year - Conpulsion 2010 (Should be around Easter weekend, I think the weekend before) in Edinburgh in one of the university buildings.
    And next year the UK Student Nationals are being held in Edinburgh (Despite the name, it's not just students, raises money for charity, etc. Website's non-existant at the moment, but for when it gets updated: http://www.studentnationals2010.org/welcome.html ) That'll be the weekend of the 23rd of April to the 25th (Most of the gaming being done on the Saturday and Sunday) and Herriot-Watt University (Riccarton Campus).
    If you (Or anyone else) want(s) more info about Student Nationals, PM me - There's some stuff on my gaming group's forum as a number of us are being recruited to GM there, so it's mostly dates, times and categories of games.

And if there's anything specific you want to ask about D&D, the forum'll be able to answer your questions, and my PM box is available (Though most of my experience is 2nd ed AD&D and 3.5)
    Last edited by Kantur; 2009-07-27 at 04:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm actually in St. Andrews university's roleplaying/wargaming society (WARsoc). Seeing as it's summer at the moment and few students are left in the area the society has nothing orginised untill 23rd of September .
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2009-07-27 at 05:41 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Same here, and not too far apart on the timing. This is where i learned to play

http://www.d20srd.org/

At first you will read it and after a couple days you think you'll know the basics, then you'll post something on the forums and it will be completely wrong, then you will review, have an epiphany and realize how the game actually works, yet you will still be iffy on details.
    Last edited by Origomar; 2009-07-27 at 06:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Origomar View Post
    Same here, and not too far apart on the timing. This is where i learned to play

http://www.d20srd.org/

At first you will read it and after a couple days you think you'll know the basics, then you'll post something on the forums and it will be completely wrong, then you will review, have an epiphany and realize how the game actually works, yet you will still be iffy on details.
    As long as you're looking to play 3.5, I have to second this.

I read this for a month or so before even getting the books, and although I'm still shaky on a lot of rules, I'm doing alot better than I would be if I had just gotten the books.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I see what you did there.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I'm actually in St. Andrews university's roleplaying/wargaming society (WARsoc). Seeing as it's summer at the moment and few students are left in the area the society has nothing orginised untill 23rd of September .
    What time is it usually? Also, when you start back up, would you be really nice and let a poor boy of 12 with no experience of D&D join your group just to see what tabletop games are like please?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

LOL

Seriously, there just isn't enough computer programming-related comedy in the world.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    LOL

Seriously, there just isn't enough computer programming-related comedy in the world.
    XKCD. There you go.

Now you just need to search through the 615 comics for ~50 that are computer related.

What time is it usually? Also, when you start back up, would you be really nice and let a poor boy of 12 with no experience of D&D join your group just to see what t
    abletop games are like please?
    If they don't, they're meanies.

Or have a good reason. Maybe they're perverts who don't want to ruin your innocence.(Kidding!)
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

19. - Top - End - #19

You seem to be a pretty well-read kid. If I was in Scotland, I'd let you play.

One rule though: you gotta let me pretend to be Scrooge McDuck every so often.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    You seem to be a pretty well-read kid. If I was in Scotland, I'd let you play.

One rule though: you gotta let me pretend to be Scrooge McDuck every so often.
    How do you figure?

21. - Top - End - #21

How do you figure?
    Your name (meaning you probably know a bit of your Indo-European language roots). Your signature. You're fairly polite. Interested. U doan tlk leik this.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Why thank you. I'll be sure to do you a kindness one day.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Your name (meaning you probably know a bit of your Indo-European language roots). Your signature. You're fairly polite. Interested. U doan tlk leik this.
    Not to nitpick, but bibliophile actually comes from Greek, not Indo-European roots.
    "A Carmelite nun in full habit could conceal a bazooka"
    -GURPS Basic set

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by bibliophile View Post
    Not to nitpick, but bibliophile actually comes from Greek, not Indo-European roots.
    Indo-European includes Greek. >.>

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bibliophile View Post
    Hmm... this poster is pedantic and has almost the same name as me... Awright, who cloned me?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was here first. Hmmmm. Perhaps you're the clone of me...
    "A Carmelite nun in full habit could conceal a bazooka"
    -GURPS Basic set

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

You're probably right. Oh well, at least you can't control me with your mind, right? ...Right?

I am bibliophile and I command you to serve me!

I will obey...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Wooh Go young children of the age of 12 too bad i live in iowa i would totaly game with you except i know the game vwery well and i could teach you i learned from my dad he played back then with 1stE so i learned from him and we gaming with friends and family also from posts above go to some gaming shops and ask around you never know who might be willing to show you the basics
    "Have your people get a hold of my people and we will stab each other over tea." - Takeda
    98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.
    Come to the dark side we have COOKIES - cookie monster

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What time is it usually? Also, when you start back up, would you be really nice and let a poor boy of 12 with no experience of D&D join your group just to see what tabletop games are like please?
    We meet on wednessdays, 8pm-12/1am. I think there might be a bit of a problem as we meet above the Union and with that being a bar and you being 12
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    We meet on wednessdays, 8pm-12/1am. I think there might be a bit of a problem as we meet above the Union and with that being a bar and you being 12
    I'd guess the session would probably be a little too late for his parents comfort as well....
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area