New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Quick Scout Question...

How is it that the Scout has Trapfinding...

Trapfinding: A scout can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, and she can use Disable Device to bypass a trap or disarm magic traps. See the rogue class feature, page 50 of the Player's Handbook.

... But, Disable Device is not listed as a class skill? Are they seriously expecting the Scout to take over as the party trap disabler with only cross-class ranks?

I was attempting to forge a 3 Rogue/ 3 Scout, but am now considering switching the three rogue levels to Ranger - But, I really want to maintain the Disable Device skill.

Any advice?
    I'd take a drink, anytime now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Quick Scout Question...

Quote Originally Posted by Athelian View Post

Trapfinding: A scout can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, and she can use Disable Device to bypass a trap or disarm magic traps. See the rogue class feature, page 50 of the Player's Handbook.

... But, Disable Device is not listed as a class skill? Are they seriously expecting the Scout to take over as the party trap disabler with only cross-class ranks?

I was attempting to forge a 3 Rogue/ 3 Scout, but am now considering switching the three rogue levels to Ranger - But, I really want to maintain the Disable Device skill.

Any advice?
    Technically it's a misprint. I think it's awesome to play someone who can find traps but not disable them, however. Makes traps into puzzles.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ask the DM to let you have the skill?

The fact that trapfinding is a class feature and not a feat always came off bizarre to me, anyway... but that's tangential.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Technically it's a misprint. I think it's awesome to play someone who can find traps but not disable them, however. Makes traps into puzzles.
    That's how I play the traps most of the time even with Disable Device in the picture. Trap where you roll Search and then Disable Device are morbidly boring, so make the mechanism thus that just locating the trap doesn't enable disabling it, but instead you have to figure the trap out and then apply Disable Device to a specific portion of it (or bypass it through other means). Much more fun.

Anyways, errata adds Disable Device to Scout skills so you need no help there. Just show C Adv. errata to your DM and go to town.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-07-28 at 09:06 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    That's how I play the traps most of the time even with Disable Device in the picture. Trap where you roll Search and then Disable Device are morbidly boring, so make the mechanism thus that just locating the trap doesn't enable disabling it, but instead you have to figure the trap out and then apply Disable Device to a specific portion of it (or bypass it through other means). Much more fun.

Anyways, errata adds Disable Device to Scout skills so you need no help there. Just show C Adv. errata to your DM and go to town.
    Oh, most definitely - But, I want the option of being able to byss or disable that mechanism, within the trap, so that whatever group I end up in does not have to worry about/waste a party slot on another skill monkey.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

... But, Disable Device is not listed as a class skill?

Any advice?
    General advice: always check official errata.
    Page 11: Scout’s Class Skills
    Add Disable Device to the scout’s list of class skills.
    (This addition fits with the flavor of the class.)

7. - Top - End - #7

Any advice?
    Use the errata? They fixed that problem, IIRC.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    General advice: always check official errata.
    Thanks, much. Kinda new to the wide world of updated materials. =P