New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 12th lvl. Arcanist build

My current game is looking to take a break from the current plot to explore the war going on between Imperial loyalists and the Arcane Academy. The GM has set the brief interlude (4 sessions) as requiring 12th level Arcane casters by this weekend. Unfortunately, my books are away and I want to put together something particularly strong. Here's what I have:

Race: Human (Sun Elf or Fire Elf?)
    Class: Wizard 4
    Sorcerer 1
    Ultimate Magus 7
    -(possibly switched out from some Incantrix)

Stats: STR-10
    DEX- 14
    CON- 12
    INT-18
    WIS-11
    CHA-16
    -rolled, unmodified by level or item.

Feats: Practiced Spellcaster
    -not sure what direction to go in besides PS.

Any suggestions, or flesh out? It's a rough outline, which I apologize for; I would have more, but no books at hand. I think the levels are correct to qualify for UM, and feats/skills can be assumed. Also, while I have a general idea of the function of Incantrix, what would it be good for in replacing on this build?
    Last edited by graymachine; 2009-07-28 at 11:17 AM.
    Thanks to NEO|Phyte for the Black Templar avatar. You will kneel before the God-Emperor, or you will be knelt.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 12th lvl. Arcanist build

If you're gonna go with an Elf, go with Grey Elf (MM), which nets you +2 Int.

Don't know much about Ultimate Magus, since I dislike dual casting progression builds, but if you decide to go another way (progress just Wizard side), there are many ways to be legen... wait for it... dary!
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would recommend you stick with a single arcane class, like Wizard 5/Incantatrix 7. Otherwise you lose caster levels and basically end up with lots of weak spells.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Beguiller, detailed on page 148 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD...asses-Base.pdf , would be a better choice then Sorcerer being as you'd get a larger spell list and you'd only need Int (you could bar Enchantment and Illusion as a Wizard while using your Beguiller spell slots for that type of magic). The Fenneckin race which I made a while back, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi...?t-104140.html , could help as well.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2009-07-28 at 11:40 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show