New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Faceless Threats: Campaign Journal

So I'm starting a new thread for my groups new campaign, as per popular request. I don't yet have our first session written up, but I do have this.

The DM has given us a fairly large amount of the worlds history. Basically a "What You Would Know if you Lived Here" cheat sheet for us, and I'm going to preface the thread with that information, and info about our characters, so the rest will make more sense.

PLACES

The only rule the DM gave us was that we're all starting at level 1, as citizens of the same relatively metropolitan city. We have to be reasonably respectable, which means we can't make characters that will frighten children just by knocking on the door, and who won't be questioned by the local law enforcement as to "Why we're still breathing" and stuff like that.

Outside that, the place being relatively metropolitan means we do have some leeway in who we are. Oh, and as an aside, the names given to the cities are actually what the DM called them . He usually figures that we're likely to mix up the names ANYWAY, so he might as well be blunt and descriptive about them. Our characters would know, that doesn't mean we need to stay up all night studying.

So, on to the four main city-state-kingdoms in this world:

Home City
    Spoiler
    Show

Our Home City, where we're starting off in, is actually noteworthy in the world for being the absolute most defensively impregnable kingdom in the world. Centuries upon centuries of barriers, reinforcements, defensive military training, and even magical aid have contributed to making our home city the one city you absolutely do not want to go to war with, for the simple fact that we've basically allready placed ourselves under seige and are prepared to stay within the walls indefinately if we have to.

Home City is such a difficult military target that people used to joke that the only way to launch an assault would be to have been born inside the walls. A few decades ago, a small elite team of treasonous guards took several of the royal family hostage within the central castle itself, in an attempt by a rival kingdom to distract the city long enough to open a gap in our defenses.
    Within three hours, the attack was repeled, and the entire team of traitors had been captured, sentenced, tortured, and cast into the acid pits of the sewers. People used to joke that the only way to launch a successful assault would be to have been born inside the walls. People don't make that joke any more.

Home City is also a relatively open-minded place, featuring multiple races in various districts, and a fairly good-natured policy towards the rest of the world. "The best offense is a good defense".

Undead City
    Spoiler
    Show

One of Home Cities allies, undead city is ruled by a vampire king who's well over two millenia old. Undead city is, contrary to the name, NOT actually filled with living corpses. It is however the most metroplitan place in the world. ALL are welcome citizens of Undead City, should they abide by the laws.
    Undead city does in fact have a significant undead populace. Zombies and Skeletons serve as the 'grunts' of their military force. Several of the cities elite are actually vampires, who are sustained via a 'blood tax' on living residents. Others are liches and necropolitans, or 'other'.
    However, most living humans who live in Undead City are actually more than happy to pay their blood to the king and his vampiric upper crust, as life in Undead City is actually fairly pleasant. Menial labour is taken care of by mindless undead (who are masked to prevent uncomfortable recognition by still living relatives). The city is known for being high minded regarding arts and entertainment and science, and frankly, in a world where your average commoner is wrestling pigs out of a cess pit and performing back-breaking labour, the citizens of Undead City are happy to give their blood and have their corpses used after death when it means they don't have to do a lot of actual WORK.

Directly from the DM: "Picture New Orleans mixed with Vegas mixed with Manhattan mixed with a haunted house, but clean and friendly"

Undead City does have a darker side though. The city extends just as far underground as it does above ground, a pit mirroring every tower, and a cellar mirroring every attic. The further underground you go, the worse it gets, and the less the laws tend to be enforced. Stay topside if you can.
    The problem is, the city is built in 'levels' which can be very disorienting for a newcomer. Since much of the city is actually roofed in some fashion, and most lighting is artifical (a natural sid effect of having a vampiric upper class), it can be hard to tell when day or night is, or just how far underground you've actually gone. When in doubt, take the stairs up.

An even darker side is the Crimson Maw. The Crimson Maw is a team of five incredibly elite vampire warriors, the kings own personal military force. And the Crimson Maw is pure 'effing' evil. They've been around long enough that they've become incredibly bored with life in general, only really looking forward to their next chance to kill something in a ridiculously painful way. Hedonism taken to the next level. In fact, they're so bored with normal life and normal fighting, that all five of them tend to prefer strange exotic weapons, and fight in bizzarre ways, just to entertain themselves. Even with the tactical abnormalities, the five of them combined are worth an entire army. Maybe even two armies.
    The Crimson Maw would freaking KILL you and freaking EAT you if only they thought for a second that they could get away with it. Fortunately for the rest of the world, the king keeps the five on a very, very short leash, only letting them 'out' at specific targets as necessary, or in response to being attacked.
    They're evil on a leash, and they know it. They know the only reason the world tolerates them existing is because they do whatever their (good, benevolent) undead king tells them to. If he weren't in the picture, they'd be hunted down and dragged kicking and screaming into the daylight, so they make darn sure their lord, his kingdom, and anyone the vampire king cares about is perfectly safe and happy.

Outside that, they don't see 'you' so much as they see a series of arteries that could potentially be spurting blood.

Dragon City
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragon City is, predictably, ruled by dragons. Four of them, specifically. An Ancient Red Great Wyrm of unimagineable power, and three younger (Mature Adult and higher) golden dragons.

Life in Dragon City is good, but very lawful and bureaucratic. The laws change freqeuntly in very minor ways, and while the city wouldn't be called totalitarian (it is a comfortable place to live), the laws are still enforced and those who would disobey would answer to a higher authority than a man in a black robe and silly hat. They answer to a dragon who views them the same way we view chipmunks.

In a grand scale, the city is generally neutral, and the dragons themselves all seem to be more interested in law and order than in good or evil. No one is exactly sure how, when, or why these four dragons became interested in the meddlings of lesser races like humans and dwarves, but there they are, keeping things running safely and effeciently.
    Some speculate that the Dragons are actually engaged in a game of Xorvinital, a game only played by dragons (lesser beings would not even be able to comprehend many of the rules, let alone be taught to play the game, let alone find a willing opponent among the mighty dragons). Wether the kingdom is the game board, a mere peice of a larger game, or simply a 'practice match' is not known, if the Xorvinital rumor is even true (the dragons have never confirmed or denied, and find it offensive to be asked).

Dragon City is, predictably, the worlds 'banking' city. It has the most widly recognized currency, and all wise investors store their funds within the mountainous reaches of the city.
    That WOULD make it a great target for enemy armies... if the leaders were not four incredibly powerful dragons, each one stronger than the last, each capable of laying waste to an entire army of mortal men.
    Going to war with an army containing dragons is suicide. Ging to war with an army LED BY dragons is not something a sane man even considers.

Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

The least metropolitan and least open minded kingdom in the world, the Empire is ridiculously xenophobic. The population of their various smaller cities are almost entirely human, with a few elves, halflings and the like.

The Empire has a particularily frothing hatred towards the Undead city, as it's a metropolis full of everything they find wrong with the world, LED by a vampire and just getting worse from there.
    They would even consider attacking them outright, difficult though that would be, if they weren't allied with us in Home City. The Vampire King has long been allied with Home Cities royal family down the entire lineage, and the current royal family of Home City is no different, trusting the Vampire King as a friend.
    Any attacker on Undead City would find themselves also engaged in a war with Home City, and between an undead army, an impregnable fortress, and a team of five elite assassains (and lord knows what else they could scrape out of their gutters), the Empire isn't foolish enough to begin a true assault.

They would love to wipe all three cities off the map and pillage our resources, and despite having a larger force to bear than all three cities combined, the knowledge that engaging any of us would probably result in a full on war between all four parties is something that has kept the Empire in check.

For now.

The DM also pointed out that the cities are really the 'heart' of small kingdoms, with outlying lands and smaller towns that are owned and controlled by the larger cities.

The Empire itself is more of a world spanning kingdom. It has less of a 'center' so much as an overarching goal that multiple cities and towns allign themselves with, and pay fealty to. So while the three cities have more of a "Castle, surrounding fortress, surrounding city, vast tracts of land" feel to them, the empire has more of a "We're everywhere, but have multiple official 'centers'" kindof feel.

PLAYERS

Me
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm actually going to be the base class made by Rich Burlew, The Champion. Something about it stuck in my head a while back, and I've been really interested in trying the class out.

My character's going to be the daughter of a halfling farmer. In normal form, I'm going to be the party face and take some cross-class skill-monkey type skills to try to make myself useful (UMD, Open Lock and such). In avatar form though, I'm going to be the screeching, reaping figure of the harvest, hooded death with a scythe herself, Autumn, the embodiment of the "Final Word" we all experience some day.
    I'll have the Death and Plant domains, and in normal form I'll have high mental stats, so I should get some bonus spell slots and be able to make myself relatively useful to the party in general, and I'll be your usually energetic happy-go-lucky jolly little halfling girl (neutral good).
    In avatar form, I'll suddenly grow to be human sized, with a black hood, green veins, and dead leaves for hair, and I'll basically be lopping off heads left and right with a huge scythe for 5+ minutes each day, while being your quintessential babbeling crazy-lady.

I just love this character so much.

Previously the Kobold
    Spoiler
    Show

Also previously the archivist in the halloween campaign, also previously any number of ridiculously well executed character concepts.

For the first time (that I recall), this player is going to try out the Binder base class, which should be incredibly interesting when he fails a binding check and has to deal with the influence of an otherworldly being inside his head.

His character is going to be a member of our Home Cities unified church, which is a generic temple that is a coalition of multiple good faiths. As long as your deity is holy and pure, you're pretty much A-Okay by this churches standings.
    Now, our DM wanted us all to be respectable citizens, but the DM really likes this character idea. He's basically a part of the church that deals with 'oddities' in the world, basically the Fox Mulder of this church. Him and a few other acolytes regularily catalogue and assess the weirder goings on in the religious world and determine wether they're threats or not.
    He doesn't even conceal the fact that he's a Binder, but it's okay because everyone in the church knows he's 100% not evil and on their side, he's just "that weird guy who works in the basement".

He's also human this time.

Previously the Dragon Shaman
    Spoiler
    Show

Going to be a Warmage, an amateur arcanist with a goal of joining up with the Home City militia some day and generally wrecking the faces of anyone who would oppose us. Or wrecking the faces of people who give him trouble. Or just generally wrecking faces.

You know. Lawfully. Human too.

Previously the Swashbuckler
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorcerer...Archivist... guy.

He's actually going to start the game as an Aristocrat, one of the lesser members of one of the lesser families who'll not be ascending to the throne anytime soon... but an aristocrat nonetheless. Focus on being agile and charismatic, with a rapier and a longbow ("classically trained". Say that while turning your nose up a little).
    He's also taking the Wild Cohort feat to snag himself a loyal Hawk, which is pretty cool.

Since Aristocrat is an interesting class, but not THAT interesting, he'll probably wind up peppering the rest of his levels with whatever classes catch his eye (he's been doing that a lot lately). He allready mentioned Marshal and Rogue. So we'll see how that all plays out.

28 point buy.

And that's that!

I'll post more when it's written up
    Last edited by SilverClawShift; 2009-08-02 at 11:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Campaign: Still To Be Named

Your DM's dedication to making absolute awesome and your group's commitment to making that awesome spring to life and vault around the room are only matched by your insane resolve to constantly and exhaustively type up all the compiled awesome into an excellent and highly readable story. For chrissake, the Crystal Cantrips campaign isn't even cold yet!

EDIT: First off, the oppressive xenophobes consisting of humans with traces of stock sidekick races is incredibly lulzy. Secondly, I sense a pattern in the swashbuckler aristrocrat's last two characters. He always this dabble-y? :D Thirdly, switching from a sweet and cute halfling girl to a psychotic reaper-hag may be one of the more awesome Jekyl/Hyde situations ever conceived.
    Last edited by Drakyn; 2009-07-29 at 10:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

No, it's not.

But there's gamin to be had, pardner

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Heh heh...

Ha ha ha...

A HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

It returns! More stories to read! More stories to archive!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Kudos for getting this up so quickly, and finishing the last bits of the Crystal Cantrips story.

Sounds like your dm had 3 Different ideas for awesome cities to start in and just decided to combine them all into one campaign. Each one could easily be the basis for hundreds of stories. I especially dig the undead city.

Lookin forward to reading the actual story of it never mind just the world concept which was awesome none the less.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone else get the feeling that Home City will be burned, pillaged, and salted by the end of the campaign?

I mean, it's supposed to be impregnable. That's just asking for it.

Edit: Archive updated.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2009-07-29 at 10:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

....and SCS delivers the goods again!! Woo hoo!! Can't wait to see the Champion class play out, actually. I've been wanting to see that one in action.

8. - Top - End - #8

GnomeWizardGuy

*hugs* SCS

Thank you for posting your next campaign. This is going to be awesome. Right now i am envisioning you taking on those elite warriors which will be awesome if it happens. Cant wait to read it all.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

All hail SCS! She, the bearer of the D20, who has graced us all with another story, sure to be awesome beyond the scope of all before it!
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

All RIGHT! THIS is what Im talking about!

Hands up for who thinks the empire is going to attack everyone else?

If you raised your hand, you can go home. Everyone else needs to stay after class.

That line seem familiar, folks?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Dearsweetgodsyes there's a Binder. He needs to bind your previous characters.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Olo Demonsbane View Post
    If you raised your hand, you can go home. Everyone else needs to stay after class.

That line seem familiar, folks?

*smirks* I was quoting it to mention that, then I saw that. :P
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes! Another story!

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

...and your DM just cast maximised heightened awesome. You backed it up with quickened empowered pwn. I can only reply thusly:

Let the games begin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

15. - Top - End - #15

SCS, I'm not sure whether to bow down to you like everyone else, or hate you for giving me an excuse to not do homework...

Oh, I can't stay mad at you.

Good luck, and try to keep your characters alive.
    Today’s lesson is brought to you by the number e and the letter 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    A not unblack dog chased a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.
    - George Orwell, Language and Politics

Awarded 1 Internet by Vuzzmop
    Awesome teacher avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, I hope this doesn't get axed like that other one...

Avvie by Serpentine.

17. - Top - End - #17

I don't think it'll get canceled. I'm more pressed for time than I was a few weeks ago, but not as pressed for time as I became after starting said thread .

I really wish I'd kept a log of that campaign too, it was the elder-evil-esque one that I really liked.

18. - Top - End - #18

Session 1(a)

So we sat down for our first session, and the first thing we did (as per the norm) was introduce our characters (the basics only really) and then start coming up with how we know each other.
    Sometimes that part is really tricky, but having certain common backgrounds (like all being citizens of the same city from birth, for starters) makes it a little easier. We still kind of drew a blank at first, but anytime we start to stall on the introduction phase, our DM picks two of us and asks how we know each other specifically.

We decided for simplicities sake to establish that we all allready knew each other and are allready relatively good friends (as we frequently do). We couldn't come up with WHY though.
    So the DM picked me and the aristocrat, and asked how we know each other. I came up with the fact that the aristocrats family owns the land that my family farm is on, but that they're not really snobby about that fact and we just give them a cut of the profit we make (beyond what we grow for the kingdoms needs).
    Since I was on a roll, I threw out that the Binder and my father have been friends for a long time, and that the Binder occasionally uses our fields when he needs to do some psuedo-religious stuff away from the prying eyes of the easily spooked masses.
    The Binder liked that enough that it stuck, and said that the Aristocrats family regularily makes large donations to his church, without which they probably wouldn't be paying acolytes to sit in the basement archiving spooky rituals concerning vestiges and other abnormalities.
    And it went on like that until we had a genernally good feelof who each others characters were, and why in the world we'd be spending time together in the first place. Once we had that settled, the adventure proper began.

Life for us all in Home City, up until this point, has been normal. The Aristocrat hangs around having money and prestige, the Binder works in his churches basement, the Warmage spends his time helping the local mages guild in the hopes that they'll continue helping HIM grow in strength to the point that the city militia won't laugh at the idea of having a spellcaster on their front line of defense, and I'm helping my family on our farm and generally vaguely concealing that I can spontaneously grow human sized and triple in physical strength (though I did throw out that my family and close friends know about it, and are respectful about not turning me into a freakshow).
    The first plot hook comes in the form of a rumor spreading around the binders church, that our cities royal family has been receiving strange, and very detailed threats concerning our kingdom. Supposedly, these threats are coming in the form of stamped and sealed letters being found in odd locations.
    The Binders church has elected to fill him on the details, because of his oddball position. The letters have been asking for members of the royal family to go to various secluded locations for a 'meeting' with whoever is sending the threats, warning that if they don't agree to a get together, that an outright attack will be launched. Naturally, our king did NOT stumble alone into the wilderness into what looked like an obvious trap.

Normally something like that wouldn't be told to anyone aside from the royal familys personal guards. In this case though, the strange symbol that the letter was signed is unidentifiable.
    None of the kings arcanists, diviners, or advisors have ever seen the symbols used in the letters before, and they didn't have any answers (even with magical aid). So it falls, with a hush, to the local church, which in turn has given their 'guy in charge of weird stuff' the letter to see if he knows anything about it.

He did a few Knowledge checks, and came up with no direct matches. But he did come up with a match in STYLE for the symbol... one of the markings on Dragon Cities custom currency.
    It wasn't an incredibly uncanny similarity... just something kind of close. But it was enough for the church officials to send him off to Dragon City to see if he could drum up any more information. The threats on the kings family were being taken a little more seriously than they might otherwise, since at least one letter was actually found sitting on the kings throne in the morning .

So with a plot hook firmly in hand (a copy of the symbol), the Binder went to meet up with his friendly Warmage and Aristocrat buddies, to let them know he was going to be traveling to Dragon City for a while.

Now, brace yourself for a contrivance. It just so happens that the Aristocrat was actually planning a trek to Dragon City some time soon, to make a withdrawl from the 'bank' (read: Massive Pile of Dragon Gold that isn't all technically owned by the dragon, but is way safer with him sleeping on it. Lot easier to say bank).
    And, as luck would have it, the Warmage was going to accompany him as a bodyguard.
    And wouldn't you know it? My father was just about to send me with a sack full of money to go make a DEPOSIT in the bank at dragon city.

If you have a hard time swallowing that, you'd better have a better opening to your adventure than "And you're all drunk in a bar!" . We gotta get traveling together somehow.

So the aristocrat bumps up his trip to 'now', and we get a carraige loaded with some basic supplies, and set off for the few weeks of travel to Dragon City. With the four of us traveling, the Aristocrat doesn't really need to bring guards, so once we were ready to get traveling, we simply set out.
    As an aside, our carraige is being puled by two mules, instead of horses. When we asked, the aristocrats exact words were "I'm not THAT rich". Apparently horses are fairly pricey compared to donkeys .

A few hours out, we saw an indistinct shape on the side of the road, laying off a few dozen feet. As we got closer, we realized it was a small boy covered in blood. Natually we stopped our carraige and ran over to see if we could help.
    Naturally, it was an ambush. As soon as we got to the boy, two burly men with weapons leaned out from behind some nearby trees, and the boy got up and sprinted deeper into the woods. Two more men with bows were in the trees above where he ran, and when we looked back at the carraige, a rogueish looking guy with a crossbow was sitting in the drivers harness, and he winked at us.
    One of the men spoke to us. "Here's how this is going to happen. You're only a few hours out. So you're just going to give us everything you have, turn around, and walk home, and be thankful that we didn't gut you and leave you rotting in the woods."
    The Binder character (bound to Naberius, some diplomacy boosts and stuff), tried to work his magic. Said that we didn't have much, but that we were on official business. That we could give him some gold and supplies and wouldn't cause any trouble, but that we really needed to be on our way.
    The man got very angry, very quickly, approaching us while the three archers trained on our location, and the other melee fighter moved behind his boss. He barked that we apparently didn't understand the situation, and that there we weren't negotiating.
    I had a really high diplomacy check myself, so I gave it a try, telling the man that we didn't want any trouble, and that things didn't have to get violent.
    The man said "See munchkin, I think things ARE going to have to get violent, because I think I'm going to have to kill one of you to show you how serious we are".

The table got quiet for a second, and I said, "Then let the REAPing begin". *cough* Reap being the word that transforms me into my human sized avatar form .

I grew to human sized with my scythe at the ready, which the DM decided startled the five attackers enough that I got a surprise ropund before the initiative rolls, and I used it to hit the non-leader melee fighter. He looked like a big tough guy, but my scythe roll was high, and with "Autumns" incredible strength, I tore right through him and sent him into negatives with the first hit.
    We rolled intiiative, and the two archers won. I'd just made myself a target, so both shot at me. One missed, the other hit. Luckily, Autumn also has a lot of hitpoints .
    The Aristocrat and warmage went next. The Aristocrat drew his bow and fired, hitting one of the archers in the trees. The Warmage threw a lesser Orb of Cold at the same one, which was enough to knock him into negatives.
    The leader went next, and he crossed our group to the Warmage and hit him hard, leaving him with only one hitpoint. Then our Binder went. He had the ability to issue a "Command" as the spell once every five rounds, and elected to use it to take out the guy with the crossbow, pointing at him and growling "DON'T MOVE". The crossbow guys turn was next, and he failed his will save, standing there helplessly and unable to do a single thing.
    Then I went, crossing to the leader of the bandits and slashing at him with my scythe for a heap of damage. The surviving archer fired, this time at the Aristocrat. It took off all of his hitpoints, but didn't push him into negatives, disabling him. The Warmage threw an Ord of Electricity at him, and it was enough to disable him as well.
    The leader turned his attention to me but missed his swing. The Binder took the chance to throw some of his darts (he opted for darts as his main weapon) at the crossbow guy, and hit. The crossbow guy fired at him, and also hit, but they both remained standing. I took another swing at the leader, and managed a critical, which turned out to send him so far into negatives that it was an instant kill (quote our DM: Sure enough, you lopped his head clean off).

The crossbow guy tried to run, but with the warmage throwing orbs and the dart throwing binder, he didn't get far. While they were taking care of him, I drifted over to the disabled archer and promptly killed him (it was only wise, and autumn would certainly want a waning life to be cut short, like a harvest).

We gave the Aristocrat one of our (precious few) healing potions, and the warmage another. The rest of us opted to conserve the remaining potions for now, and press on.
    The others stayed inside the carraige while I drove, because my halfling form hadn't actually taken any damage. We made the rest of the trip a little more cautious while we rested our hitpoints back up to full, but we made it to Dragon City without further incident.

Okay, that's about halfway through our first gaming session in this new campaign. I wanted to have the entire first session written up, but I also didn't want to go too long between posts about it.

I'll have the second half of this session written up whenever I can, and we have another session tonight, so, yeah. Hopefully I won't fall too far behind . Thanks for taking the time to read it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

And lo! SCS thus posts her first update for the campaign, and the unwashed masses rejoice.

Updating archive now.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to read it.
    No, no, thank you for writting the awesome journals.
    Spoiler
    Show

Much lulz avatar made by Fayt, and Echowind made the, awesome, always angry William. And the awesome thelizard made the not-right-in-the-head Argile

Giantitp (Unofficial) IRC. Join now !

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

By the way, SCS, if you ever get the chance to do so, you should roll an Intimidate check and do something like the Death Knight does here at the bottom of the comic.

It would be AWESOME.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent! A grand story to wake up too!

Avvie by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you so much for writing up this next campaign and the last one!

I love your character!

*breathes*

Also, I just thought of a good name for the campaign: "A Tale of Four Cities."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quite a nice read. Thanks for sharing.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I see, in the future, the dragon kings fighting the crazy vamps in an epic battle to be remembered through the ages, and it will be awesome. Also, new game, cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

What I see in the future is Undead city attacking Home city underground. This will only happen after the benevolent Undead king is assassinated by the same organization that is threatening the royalty in Home City and the Crimson Maw have taken over. That organization is also threatening the dragons and possible the leaders in the Empire. Something is coming from outside of the four nations your DM has set up. Something big...

Or maybe I just want it to be that way.

Also, Let the REAPing begin=awesome line. Keep using that one please. I want that to be the shy little halfling's battle cry so much.

27. - Top - End - #27

Whoo, okay. Session two is over, and I spent the post-session time finishing the write-up for session one.

So I'm still only one session behind

Session 1(b)

So we made it safely to Dragon City. One thing that was immediately apparent to anyone traveling the Dragon City for the first time is how strong a draconic bloodline actually runs through the people there. It's not incredibly common, but you will occasionally see full on half-dragons walking along the streets, and a significantly higher number of dragon-blooded people. Even a lot of people who seem fully human also seem very flushed or unnaturally tan (read: golden).

First we had to find some kind of healing house to see if we could snag a few healing potions to replace what we'd used on the travel. That didn't prove too difficult, as the church (dedicated to bahamut, naturally) was fairly... blatant. A gleaming mirrored building covered in reflective materials and decorations, surounded by well tended and protected flames that made the building literally glow with a holy light. So, we made our way into the consecrated building that gleamed with the blessed light of a rising sun... in order to purchase a measly three Cure Light Wounds potions .
    After we'd resupplied, we also managed to find an armory that would take the bandits weapons off our hands. They didn't give us MUCH for the used weapons with questionable origins, but hey, every little bit counts.

We weren't entirely sure what to do at that point, but the Binder had the idea of heading to one of the bank buildings to see if we couldn't get into contact with whoever had designed the currency. But when we arrived at the first bank building we could find, we were a little shocked to have stumbled right into one of the leaders of the town, a 30 foot tall golden dragon, sitting motionless in the middle of the street and staring unflinchingly at a very nervous looking man.
    The people on the streets were trying very hard to act casually, pretending they weren't shirking off to the sides of the roads and ducking between buildings in fear, leaving this lone individual looking up at a clearly ticked off dragon prince. We siddled up to listen to the conversation.

The man stammered uncomfortably, saying "It's too dangerous, there's nothing we can do here". The dragon just glared without moving a muscle. The man went on babbeling uncomfortably for a solid two minutes, before the dragon finally (mercifully) interupted him by calling him a coward. The man just stared down at his feet akwardly, while the dragon went on, "Are you telling me that I am going to have to tear the very roof off of this building to deal with this problem myself? And then return to the caves to tell 'Big Red' that one of the banks has been shut down for construction because his workers couldn't handle an infestation of RATS?"
    The man objected with "These aren't normal rats, we've allready lost two men trying to ge-" which was as far as he got before the dragon slammed its forepaw down next to the man, making him shiver in his spot and continue staring down at his shoes.

I decided to jump in here, a little nervous squeek as I said "Excuse me?" at which the dragon immediately barked that he didn't have the time without actually looking back at me.
    I chirped that "Actually, maybe we could help out with whatever the trouble is?"
    The dragon craned his neck to look back at me, and scoffed slightly. But despite that his face betrayed that he thought it was a good idea. The Binder backed me up, saying we were in town from Home City on business, and maybe if we could take care of the problem, the dragon could help us.
    The Dragon Seemed mildly taken aback, and I actually (at the table) elbowed the binder in the ribs and hissed "That's not how you talk to a dragon, especially not if you're first level!" The Binder just gave held out his hands and said "We need a lead!"
    The dragon grumbled at us, asking what could be so important that we think it warranted his attention.
    The Binder held up the sketch of the symbol, saying that we actually just wanted to get into touch with whoever designed the symbols for their currency, as our king had been receiving threatening letters with a similar symbol on them.
    The Dragon lowered his head to our level, eyeballing the paper intently, before squinting and plucking it out of the binders hands with his claw tips, holding it up to the sky and staring at it a moment longer.
    "There IS a resemblance...isn't there? Tell me human, does your king beleive these letters are our doing?"
    The Binder promised that, no, we didn't think Dragon City was responsible, we just were following up on one of the few similarities we'd noticed. The Dragon seemed to accept his answer, nodding and gripping the paper tightly in his fist, gesturing with his nose towards us and the building, telling us that if we take care of the rat problem, he'll bring the symbol up to 'Big Red' and see if there's anything relevant for us to bring home.

With that, he told the worker he'd been berating to thank us for saving his hide, and to go get four rings from the flame-tenders at the nearest church. He said if we succeeded, we could keep the rings. And with that, he flew off, with the worker running frantically in the direction of the nearest church of bahamut. Not too much later, he came running back with four identical copper bands. They didn't look like much, but they felt warm with magical energy.
    The worker explained that the rings granted 3 resistance to fire damage, which mostly covered minor burns and kept the flame-tenders at the church from scarring themselves on a daily basis. We asked why we would need these rings to take on some rats, and he just looked at us and shook his head, and wished us luck.

Before we went inside, the Aristocrat pointed out that if Dragon City was planning an attack, we'd just revealed way too much information to them. The Binder countered with the fact that if they WERE planning to strike us, letting them know we were kicking up our defenses and preparing for a fight with dragons was probably the smartest thing we could do.
    We slipped on the rings, and then slipped in through the front door, closing it securely behind us. We crept up through the lobby, and then we spotted one of the little vermin sitting on the counter at one of the bank tellers stands. And we realized why these weren't normaly rats.
    It was red and scaly, with a strong looking jaw, horns, and two tiny little wings folded against its back. It wasn't just a rat... it was some kind of draconic rat. Either a unique TYPE of rat, or... well, a half dragon rat, which is probably something best not thought about.
    The Binder crept up until he was about 20 feet from it, reared back, and pelted it as hard as he could with a dart. It nailed it dead center, and tumbled off the counter with a little "WARK" death scream. The Binder chuckled, and said the bank worker really had been a coward, as the rats weren't all that tough.
    Of course, any time you say something like that is the trigger for all hell to break loose.

From behind the counter where the rat fell, a swarm of about a dozen of the little suckers came flying out in an angry arc, circling us and hitting us with tiny tiny little jets of flaming breath weapon. The ring caught most of the damage, but every jet was a chance at a bit of fire damage getting through the resistance.
    The Aristocrat drew his rapier and took a stab. Fortunately the little monsters were just big enough that they weren't exceptionally difficult targets, and he managed to skewer one straight through. The Warmage threw off a Ray of Frost that froze one solid thanks to it being vulnerable to cold. I debated switching to Avatar form, but decided that under the circumstances, I could do just as much good by hitting the rats with crossbow bolts, so that's what I elected to do (for the official record, I have a ridiculously high dexterity in halfling form, and switch that to a ridiculously high strength when I turned into Lady Autumn. So I'm good at ranged combat in normal mode, and good at beating things senseless as a divine vessel).

The rats were one-hit mooks, but the fight was still a little tense with us being slowly roasted alive with every pass they made. They weren't smart enough to use any kind of REAL tactics (they were still rats) but their draconic instinct made them a little more predatory. They would fly away together, wait for their breath weapons to recharge, and then make fly-by attacks at us while hitting us with their flames all at once.
    And once we were done with the rats in the lobby, we still had to stalk through the bank killing rats from room to room (and another swarm of them in the basement). And we had to talk the Warmage out of taking some of the loose coins that were laying around, figuring that ticking off a bunch of dragons was not how we wanted to START this story.

None of us had very good spot checks, but after enough poking around and overturning a few suspicious places, we were convinced that we'd killed the last of the hideous scaled flying fire breathing rats.

And I honestly kind of hope that's the last time I ever have to say that exact series of words.

We left the building, and the DM informed us that on exiting the building, the scared worker getting chewed out by the gold dragon was waiting to tell us that the dragon came back and let him know to tell us that Big Red did in fact want to talk to us. Directly. And NOW.

We had to end the session due to time constraints. We didn't level up yet (no telling if the story is just long, or if we're just supposed to stay low level for longer).

That means that our next session is going to start with our four 1st level characters sitting face to face with a CR "Some Epic Number" creature for a little pow-wow about why our king is getting threatening letters .

Well, since I finished writing this after our second campaign, that's allready happened. But, you know. Storywise, you'll get to hear about it next time. Thanks everyone

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire15 View Post

Also, I just thought of a good name for the campaign: "A Tale of Four Cities."
    I c wat u did thar.

Archive will be updated tomorrow.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Good update. Good luck with Big Red, don't do anything stupid.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Awesome start to the campaign. And your Warmage needs to be reminded that you never touch a dragon's hoard, while it is still breathing anyways.