A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    My Aquatic Elf has recently happened upon a Decanter of Endless Water. While the possibilities for keeping me alive are obvious, I want to find some more inventive things to do, since my plan to use it to summon water elementals fast fell flat (I can do it, but it would take HOURS).
    Buying a magical sword-

    (Merchant)- This blade has bathed in the blood of dragons!

    (PC)- But it's USED!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    kestrel404's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    A decanter of endless water is a phenomenal source of power if you can reasonably 'invent' hydraulics. Depends on your character's Int score and the willingness of your GM.

    In a cold climate, it can be used to alter terrain (add water, wait for water to freeze, repeat).

    In a desert it can be used to make money (fill your canteen for a copper, sir?)

    You could put it in a portable hole and turn it into a portable pond - or if placed on a wall in a dungeon, a portable tidal wave that recharges ever 24 hours or so.

    Since you're aquatic, you could use it to flood dungeons (over a period of a week or so) and then only have to deal with monsters that can survive being submerged (in a standard/non-aquatic campaign, that's mostly just undead and aberrations like oozes).

    You could use it as a portable fire extinguisher. This is especially useful if you decide to start carrying around lots of oil flasks (it won't put the oil fire out, but it WILL wash them away from the party!)

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Talya's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Icy Evil Canadia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    My Heartwarder (3.5e, but still) used several of them in the construction of her Basillica of Burning Passions, a temple to Sune in Calimport. The grand basillica has waterfalls runing down its walls, fountains everywhere, and a wading pool open to the public surrounding it....in this hot, oppressive desert metropolis. Made it a popular place fairly quickly.
    Creator of the Vow of Nudity

    Spoiler
    Show

    We didn't cast the [Fire]...
    LGBTitP

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Use its Geyser setting as a jet while swimming, or bolt it under the hull to propel a boat. Who needs sails when you've 20-foot-long, 1-foot-wide stream at 30 gallons per second!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Use its Geyser setting as a jet while swimming, or bolt it under the hull to propel a boat. Who needs sails when you've 20-foot-long, 1-foot-wide stream at 30 gallons per second!
    30 gallons per minute. I don't know if that will push a boat.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    30 gallons per minute. I don't know if that will push a boat.
    Of course it would! Just not very fast.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Find invisible opponents by spraying it around a room and/or covering the floor with water.

    Fill pit-traps and swim across them in safety.

    Create an instant bridge by arcing the geyser across a gap and freezing it in place with an ice spell.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    30 gallons per minute. I don't know if that will push a boat.
    Actually it's per round. So that's quite a lot of water moving out very quickly.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Soviet Canuckistan

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Well, assuming a radius of 1.78cm for the opening, you get an opening with a 10cm^2 area; that's a pretty big neck, at 1.4 inches or so across, but it's not absurd, and it's a nice handy area to work with.

    30 gallons per round is 5 gallons per second. About 3.8 litres in a US gallon, or 3800cm^3 per gallon, 19000cm^3 per second. The 10cm^2 opening thus results in a 1900cm long cylinder of water leaving per second, with a resulting velocity of 19m/s. Thrust is v*dm/dt, or 19m/s*19kg/s or 361 N (kgm/s^2)

    Assuming a 90 kg person (roughly 200 pounds, or a 150 pound person with 50 pounds of gear), this would be enough force to accelerate them by 4m/s^2. Not enough to achieve liftoff (gravity is 9.8m/s^2), but pointing it down would substantially slow your fall. 3 of them could let you take off. Without someone holding it, the decanter would fly around like a rocket. Holding it so that the geyser is shooting upwards would be equivalent to trying to hold up an 80lb weight (361 N is about the force exerted by gravity on a 37kg mass).

    Assuming my math holds - I may have gotten sloppy somewhere. You could get a little more thrust (~2.5% more?) by commanding it to make salt water.

    Make the neck narrower, pushing out the same mass of water per second, and you get more thrust. Make it wider, you get less thrust.
    Last edited by Epinephrine; 2009-07-31 at 10:00 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Actually it's per round. So that's quite a lot of water moving out very quickly.
    Since it's 2E we're talking about, a round IS a minute.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Since it's 2E we're talking about, a round IS a minute.
    Yeah but no one cares about 2E.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Turn it on and then bury it in the closest desert. Instant oasis!
    My Star Fox Clone:
    f1l.blogspot.com - A WIP and in dire need of music

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Yeah but no one cares about 2E.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Hahaha. Making a jetpack intrigues me...but my friend may kill me (he was denied a jetpack in a Gamma World campaign for his bobba fett character and has been bitter about it ever since).

    Also, the portable pond trick may just solve my Water Elemental question, though it may need a bit more work.
    Buying a magical sword-

    (Merchant)- This blade has bathed in the blood of dragons!

    (PC)- But it's USED!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Since it's 2E we're talking about, a round IS a minute.
    Wait, so the decanter of endless water generates 10 times more water in 3'rd edition than in AD&D?

    Edit: Also, I thought a turn was a minute.
    Last edited by Indon; 2009-07-31 at 01:40 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Wait, so the decanter of endless water generates 10 times more water in 3'rd edition than in AD&D?

    Edit: Also, I thought a turn was a minute.
    2e, Player's Handbook, Glossary:

    "Round: in combat, a segment of time approximately one minute long, during which a character can accomplish one basic action. Ten combat rounds equal one Turn."

    "Turn: in game time, approximately 10 minutes; used especially in figuring how long various magic spells may last. In combat, a turn consists of ten rounds."

    EDIT: From the 2e DMG description of the Decanter, which is the edition the OP is playing in:

    "Water can be made to come forth as follows:

    Stream: pours out 1 gallon per round

    Fountain: 5-foot long stream at 5 gallons per round

    Geyser: 20-foot long stream at 30 gallons per round"
    Last edited by Bigbrother87; 2009-07-31 at 01:51 PM.
    The Silverclawshift Campaign Journals Two FANTASTIC campaigns detailed here. An absolute must read.

    "Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbrother87 View Post
    2e, Player's Handbook, Glossary:

    "Round: in combat, a segment of time approximately one minute long, during which a character can accomplish one basic action. Ten combat rounds equal one Turn."

    "Turn: in game time, approximately 10 minutes; used especially in figuring how long various magic spells may last. In combat, a turn consists of ten rounds."

    EDIT: From the 2e DMG description of the Decanter, which is the edition the OP is playing in:

    "Water can be made to come forth as follows:

    Stream: pours out 1 gallon per round

    Fountain: 5-foot long stream at 5 gallons per round

    Geyser: 20-foot long stream at 30 gallons per round"
    Bear in mind that in Classic Dungeons & Dragons a round is ten seconds (which confuses people) and in 1995 Combat & Tactics introduced the "reduced round" of 10-15 seconds (which doubly confuses people)
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Indeed. Despite having played AD&D for a few years before 3.0 came out, I never really got the hang of the time system.

    Since the description of the Decanter remained unchanged when 3.0 came out, I guess it does indeed generate 10 times more water in 3'rd edition.

    Edit: Mind that, according to earlier calculations, this means you'd need more than 20 Decanters to make a jetpack for someone weighing 200 pounds.
    Last edited by Indon; 2009-07-31 at 02:00 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    All of that said, I think the device in geyser mode was envisioned as being like a fire hose. A quick look around indicates that standard truck-carried fire hoses are pushing out somewhere between 100 and 250 gallons per minute, ranging up to 1000+ for water-cannon style setups. A standard shower head puts out something like 7 gallons per minute. Four times as much as a shower seems too little; a quarter or an eighth of fire hose volume seems WAY too little. So I'm thinking that even though the item description says 30 gpr (= 30 gpm) that the item was created and tuned for the shorter 10-second round that Matthew mentions. That pushes it up to the appropriate volume of water.
    Last edited by Lapak; 2009-07-31 at 02:04 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Flawse Fell, Geordieland

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Dragon #171, the article "Care For a Drink?"

    An article on Decanter of Endless Water and some unexpected uses thereof. See if you can't beg or borrow a copy, it's worth a read.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    All of that said, I think the device in geyser mode was envisioned as being like a fire hose. A quick look around indicates that standard truck-carried fire hoses are pushing out somewhere between 100 and 250 gallons per minute, ranging up to 1000+ for water-cannon style setups. A standard shower head puts out something like 7 gallons per minute. Four times as much as a shower seems too little; a quarter or an eighth of fire hose volume seems WAY too little. So I'm thinking that even though the item description says 30 gpr (= 30 gpm) that the item was created and tuned for the shorter 10-second round that Matthew mentions. That pushes it up to the appropriate volume of water.
    The Encyclopedia Magica says that the Decanter of Endless Water first appeared in the 1e DMG (though an earlier one with no statline apparently came from the Nightrage adventure).
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Have a dwarf cleric that made a decanter, exept it was a stein. It also used beer. Blessed holy beer. Stout most often, but also on command could make porters, lagers, stouts and ales. Pilsners for the elves.

    Cant wait to kill undead with some holy double bock.
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2009-07-31 at 10:45 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    Have a dwarf cleric that made a decanter, exept it was a stein. It also used beer. Blessed holy beer. Stout most often, but also on command could make porters, lagers, stouts and ales. Pilsners for the elves.

    Cant wait to kill undead with some holy double bock.
    You know what they say.

    You don't buy holy beer. You just rent it.

    I don't know if you are getting what I am hinting at here but if you drink enough of it, you could have a handy projectile weapon on you at all times. If you're male, I mean.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    On the Road
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Never tried it, but -- if you are amphibious and walk into a room filled with poison gas, can you dump one of those over your head, breathe the water and survive?

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: (2E) Fun Things to do with a Decanter of Endless Water

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    You know what they say.

    You don't buy holy beer. You just rent it.

    I don't know if you are getting what I am hinting at here but if you drink enough of it, you could have a handy projectile weapon on you at all times. If you're male, I mean.
    Both genders can drink enough to make a projectile out of it. It is just chunkier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

    Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •