New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Saving/destroying the world with giant robots! Let's play Super Robot Wars OG II!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Well, we'll see about that when I get it.
    Unfortunately, you don't get to keep the Type 3 you get in OG2 - only Original Generation Gaiden for the PS2.

I have no idea who you're talking about. There were never pilots with those names in the EFA forces. Now move along citizen.
    Oh, they existed. Latooni mentions them later.

Hey, two top of page posts in not even my own RP.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-10-10 at 08:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

2. - Top - End - #272
    Banned

Default Re: Saving/destroying the world with giant robots! Let's play Super Robot Wars OG II!

He's like, a super robot rock star!
    So Russel is Nekki Basara now?
    OH GOD WHAT HAVE WE DONE.

fanservice
    Noticed and appreciated, so it's not that Nerdo was first. But as far as female mecha are concerned, my favorite is still Subaru. Wait, only giant-sized female mecha count? Then Nono.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-10-10 at 08:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Giving good items to battleships seems a waste. I usually keep them behind the lines, where they can still snipe the enemy but cannot be reached by enemy units during their turn. They also have the E Field against enemy mooks, so it's not that they need items not to die.
    Well...
    1) Keeping them behind the lines is pretty uneffective given that they are excellent for offensive support, superior for defensive support, and they have the Command "aura" which raises their hit and evade stats.

2) E-Field consumes EN. While it means they cannot use their strongest weapons, it also means the field is not infinite. It's helpful that some pilots get the needed Seishin for protection (Guard), but that consumes pretty valuable SP that might be best used for something else.

3) Given their insane lack of weapon size (10 compared to everything else sans most Super Robots), the battleships are best fit to have the Recover and Supply Modules. Which means you'll probably attempt to have them near the battlefield, which means they'll be pretty noticeable targets.

4) Hiryu Custom is red; it's like marking a huge target on it. Oddly, it doesn't make it run faster.

Spoiler
    Show
    5) Kurogane has a frickin' huge DRILL!!! That quite literally pierces the heavens!! If any supernatural being is smart enough, it'll attempt to prevent the Kurogane from unleashing the Spiral Energy Titanic Drill.

6) Last missions have enemies with pretty long range weapons and the losing conditions of "[Battleship] is destroyed". AI tends to target your battleships a lot if they're in range, only going for weakened units sparingly.

Spoiler
    Show
    He's one of SRW Alpha 3's selectable protagonists too, but I'm sure you knew that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course I know that. Of course I know he's an Ingram clone, he's also an individual being that absorbs Ingram, and he inherits the Time Diver position from Ingram.

Even though I've never played Alpha 3. I know of a friend of mine that has it, and I saw him playing it.

Kai's first Gespenst is still his normal mass produced Mk II M. It's not even customised, he just disables automatic control and inputs crazy kung-fu manually. And later he gets a Gespenst Mk II Custom.

AM Gunner sucks if you ask me, but it's still Rio's designated unit. However, I'd be hard pressed to call it awesome. Poor girl.

Armorlion is Ryoto's designated unit only in OGS' OG1 part, where he doesn't get Huckebein mk III yet. I usually gave it to Bullet anyway. It's pretty cool.

Russel and Radha are support pilots anyway, they don't need good units as their real power is being Boring But Practical. Katina will probably be canonically stuck with her red Gespenst for the rest of her life, because the more desperate she is for a better unit the less chances are she will get one. I'd say Gespensts are rather cool for grunt units anyway.
    And I usually put Katina and Russel in Grungust type III, the one with two seats. They are the only pair of pilots who don't get super special awesome units otherwise, so this robot just fits them.
    Well, the fact that he gets a custom model tends to say a lot. Besides, you and I know he's the real pilot of the Gespenst Mk-II S. Which is why it has the Gespenst Kick.

Armorlion for some reason fits Ryoto better than the Hyuck III. The Hyuck in that regard seems to be a grunt model (and in my opinion, Gespensts beat Huckebeins almost all the time, were it not for their equipment), capable of being used by pilots that prefer swiftness rather than defense (much like most Real Robot pilots sans Kyosuke and perhaps Russel and Rai). Armorlion has better armor and quite decent armament compared to the Huckebein Mk-III. But yeah, given that he's the only one that knows how to use the Boxer frame... But then again, pilots can have TWO favored mecha:

Spoiler
    Show
    Lamia favors the Ashsaber, Angelg and Vysaga. If you follow canon, Axel can use a Laz Angriff, Randgrith and Vysaga much like he can his Soulgain. Before Aussenseiter, El...I mean, RATSEL pilots both the Hyuck II and III, as well as the frickin' Kurogane.

So it can be kind of a moot point.

Rio...well, that's what I said IF the AM Gunner could count. It has the Ballistic Cannon (Full Impact Cannon) but it's...kinda limited for big battles. It's best for exterminating mooks; lthough it's "weakness" and the fact it can use certain weapons to forcefully weaken energy barriers such as E-Field and Warp Field makes it nice for certain battles.

Radha, while being a support pilot, is one of THE best support pilots around (dwarfing Russel in that regard, actually). She has innate SP Regeneration, Bless, Attune and Enable (which means more XP for allies, Strike for allies and extra turn for allies) as well as the roughly useful Prayer. She's only sucky on attack, and best for evasion (which is why I find the Schutzwald a pretty silly mech for her, as the Schutzwald is meant to be a semi-mobile gun turret) Giving her a super-mobile turret that allows her to contribute might do better for her.

Russel...well, he should have something better than the Gespenst since it definitely does not suit him. He's odd in that he's a great support, has nice mobility, low defense, but has Guard on his Seishin list. Perhaps if Katina's GAR-L or a speed-based Super Robot is a two-seater, then there's the chance he might actually shine. He'd need a Super Robot that has great speed but actually better mobility to suit his need (or mostly a fast Super Robot, anyways)

As for Grungust Type 3, well...I don't recall piloting it. Mostly since the missions I took were meant to get the shiny stuff so I missed that. Soon as I knew, Bullet and Kusuha were already at their new and shiny mechs so go figure.

Spoiler
    Show
    Too bad there's only three Grungust Type-3 units...one is for Sanger, one is for Bullet and Kusuha, and the other one...well, it *was* given to Bullet and Kusuha after the second was absorbed by the Choukijin.

There's also Garnet and Giado, but there's a good reason why they quit being pilots between OG1 and OG2.
    Yeah, what with being an item at all. Giado was a pretty monster supporter too. Actually decent in a Valsion Custom, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Garnet grew bitter over being relegated to uselessness and decided to hang out with a bunch of nasty people and learning actual piloting skills. Then she becomes accessory to rape and murder. It is all there in SRW Z.
    That...I didn't knew. Care to point when that happens and who she is turned into as a result? Then again, isn't that the same world that has Evil Masaki?
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

4. - Top - End - #274

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Well...
    1) Keeping them behind the lines is pretty uneffective given that they are excellent for offensive support, superior for defensive support, and they have the Command "aura" which raises their hit and evade stats.
    Wich are really only worth it in early game. Late game once I get sp regen for everybody I'll be able to spam focus and strike for everybody, meaning I really don't need the auras.

Plus, irony of ironies, since the mecha pilots have better stat progression than the mothership pilots, it ends becoming more effecient to have the suport mechas defend the mothership than the other way around. The ball of DOOM formation with the mothership in the midle, suport characters around it and nonsuport characters on the exterior is quite efective.

2) E-Field consumes EN. While it means they cannot use their strongest weapons, it also means the field is not infinite. It's helpful that some pilots get the needed Seishin for protection (Guard), but that consumes pretty valuable SP that might be best used for something else.
    See above.

3) Given their insane lack of weapon size (10 compared to everything else sans most Super Robots), the battleships are best fit to have the Recover and Supply Modules. Which means you'll probably attempt to have them near the battlefield, which means they'll be pretty noticeable targets.
    To be honest, I still haven't used a single ressuply item. I don't even know how it works. Don't you lose the item when you use it? Besides, I like to use them to help clear mooks for weaker characters who need the PP.

4) Hiryu Custom is red; it's like marking a huge target on it. Oddly, it doesn't make it run faster.
    Hehe, I actualy gave a booster to the Hiryu on my OG1 play.

Spoiler
    Show
    5) Kurogane has a frickin' huge DRILL!!! That quite literally pierces the heavens!! If any supernatural being is smart enough, it'll attempt to prevent the Kurogane from unleashing the Spiral Energy Titanic Drill.
    Considering the pilot who runs the Kurogane, it wouldn't really be fair to give it super items like the steel soul and hero's symbol would it?

6) Last missions have enemies with pretty long range weapons and the losing conditions of "[Battleship] is destroyed". AI tends to target your battleships a lot if they're in range, only going for weakened units sparingly.
    So I just keep the battleships well away while sending my pimped out robots, wich by now should be considerably stronger than the battleship and don't need it's suport anyore anyway.

Radha, while being a support pilot, is one of THE best support pilots around (dwarfing Russel in that regard, actually). She has innate SP Regeneration, Bless, Attune and Enable (which means more XP for allies, Strike for allies and extra turn for allies) as well as the roughly useful Prayer. She's only sucky on attack, and best for evasion (which is why I find the Schutzwald a pretty silly mech for her, as the Schutzwald is meant to be a semi-mobile gun turret) Giving her a super-mobile turret that allows her to contribute might do better for her.
    Attune is actually pretty much worthless, because almost every pilot out there has strike. The SP regeneration is groovy, but enable is damn expensive, so cheer still easily beats it in the exp gain department. So she's basically a money making machine...Wich reminds me I haven't been spamming bless on mission XVI! AARRGHHH!!! Well thankfully I still wasn't very advanced so restarting shouldn't be too hard.

Russel...well, he should have something better than the Gespenst since it definitely does not suit him. He's odd in that he's a great support, has nice mobility, low defense, but has Guard on his Seishin list. Perhaps if Katina's GAR-L or a speed-based Super Robot is a two-seater, then there's the chance he might actually shine. He'd need a Super Robot that has great speed but actually better mobility to suit his need (or mostly a fast Super Robot, anyways)
    We'll see who gets what once the gang gets togheter again.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Banned

I didn't see my battleships targetted a lot in OG titles. In OG2, the standard AI tries to target the lowest HP unit. In OGS, the script is even simpler - they target the closest unit.

On Garnet and SRW Z:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xine Espio, the "evil Lune" of this game looks a bit like Garnet. Only more fanservicey and, well, evil. And like you said, SRW Z has Asakim, the evil Masaki. It's not Masaki turned evil, or his evil twin or anything like that. Just... someone who looks and sounds like Masaki, just evil. Very evil. Rape and murder happy evil.

This spoiler has more evils than a single evil should have.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-10-11 at 06:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Banned

Correction, Cubey. Xine looks a lot like an evil Garnet would.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Banned

I was born to understate on the Internet.

Anyway, I'll let those unfamiliar with SRW Z judge for themselves. Giado and Garnet get so little love, they don't even get character pictures in color over Gate of Magus.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-10-11 at 07:45 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Wich are really only worth it in early game. Late game once I get sp regen for everybody I'll be able to spam focus and strike for everybody, meaning I really don't need the auras.

Plus, irony of ironies, since the mecha pilots have better stat progression than the mothership pilots, it ends becoming more effecient to have the suport mechas defend the mothership than the other way around. The ball of DOOM formation with the mothership in the midle, suport characters around it and nonsuport characters on the exterior is quite efective.

To be honest, I still haven't used a single ressuply item. I don't even know how it works. Don't you lose the item when you use it? Besides, I like to use them to help clear mooks for weaker characters who need the PP.
    Your opinions are wrong and you should feel bad. >.>
    .. I mean, this does not reflect my experience with the game. The Command bonuses are fiddly to deal with early on, but when the skill is leveled both the bonuses and the area of effect get larger. It's like having another free stacking Focus in a zone five-six squares wide around your battleships, which is both very worthwhile and easy to arrange. Especially if you take the time to funnel some kills to Lefina, since her Ace Bonus is an increased Command bonus. It saves you SP on Focus and Strike, which is still good even after SP Regen because using both of those every turn will still burn you down 20-30 SP. And the battleships were never much use for direct combat (the Hiryu can be hammered into it, if you get its full-upgrade bonus and use Lefina's PP to fix some of her defects, but it'll always be average at best.) but they always retain use as damage-sinks for more fragile people. Unlike Excellen and Seolla, who both apparently want to die for their loves (and everybody else. Seriously, why the hell does Excellen have Defensive Support native but not Offensive Support??).

Resupply units are not consumable; you're thinking of the Ammo/Fuel items, which I usually just sell for extra cash. Equipping the Resupply unit gives the equipped unit another command, called Resupply. Resupply cannot be used post-movement (there is a pilot skill that changes this, but it's a waste of PP) and when used can Resupply one adjacent unit. Resupplying a unit restores all of that unit's Energy and Ammo and drops their Will by 5. Which is usually not a problem, as most things that need Resupplying got there by killing a bunch of mooks and can spare the Will. It's especially handy late-game for enabling Stun Shot lockdowns and combo attack spam. (I apologize for Resupply not looking like a real word anymore.)

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Your opinions are wrong and you should feel bad. >.>
    .. I mean, this does not reflect my experience with the game. The Command bonuses are fiddly to deal with early on, but when the skill is leveled both the bonuses and the area of effect get larger. It's like having another free stacking Focus in a zone five-six squares wide around your battleships, which is both very worthwhile and easy to arrange. Especially if you take the time to funnel some kills to Lefina, since her Ace Bonus is an increased Command bonus. It saves you SP on Focus and Strike, which is still good even after SP Regen because using both of those every turn will still burn you down 20-30 SP. And the battleships were never much use for direct combat (the Hiryu can be hammered into it, if you get its full-upgrade bonus and use Lefina's PP to fix some of her defects, but it'll always be average at best.) but they always retain use as damage-sinks for more fragile people. Unlike Excellen and Seolla, who both apparently want to die for their loves (and everybody else. Seriously, why the hell does Excellen have Defensive Support native but not Offensive Support??).
    Your opinions don't follow the mechas stereotypes and you should feel in despair, if it wasn't the fact that SRW is all about solving your problems by throwing enough mechas with the right fighting spirit at it untill they disapear!

1-Pick your favorite RR units.
    2-Combine with pilots with high dodge.
    3-Give them parts that further increase their dodge.
    4-Use focus. You only need strike for some specific situations.
    5-Send said pilots ahead of your force.
    6-Watch the mooks kill themselves as they try to attack the RR units with 0% chance of hiting.
    7-Next turn, send in the rest of the army finishing off the mooks.
    8-?
    9-Profit!

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Resupply units are not consumable; you're thinking of the Ammo/Fuel items, which I usually just sell for extra cash. Equipping the Resupply unit gives the equipped unit another command, called Resupply. Resupply cannot be used post-movement (there is a pilot skill that changes this, but it's a waste of PP) and when used can Resupply one adjacent unit. Resupplying a unit restores all of that unit's Energy and Ammo and drops their Will by 5. Which is usually not a problem, as most things that need Resupplying got there by killing a bunch of mooks and can spare the Will. It's especially handy late-game for enabling Stun Shot lockdowns and combo attack spam. (I apologize for Resupply not looking like a real word anymore.)
    Ah, so that's how it works! Now if I could at least get a battleship on this mission...
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-10-11 at 09:54 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Repair units work the same way, except they can be used post-movement by default, FYI. I generally stick one of each on each of my battleships, or or Russel's/Radha's unit if I decide to deploy them separately.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

I talk about this from experience, and not just game experience but rather "final boss got me in a stalemate" experience. SP Regen only recovers 10 SP per turn, which works great if you don't use Seishin at all. If you'll go with Focus, then you'll get into 0 consumption most of the time, until you get your Will over 130 which is the point where most of the good stuff works. Right at the end, you'll want as much hit and evade as possible, and stacking Focus (which is cheaper most of the time than Strike) with a further bonus to Hit and Evade makes for saving SP where you really need it (Valor, of course)

IMHO, that's asking for your characters' death. Defensive Support only works if you have a Super Robot around, and even then it must have a defensive barrier on top of that for it to work. Characters who get Defensive Support in this game usually tend to have mobile mecha, and more often than not end up taking the hit even though they're frickin' fast, which means they get damaged and...you get the idea. EN Field plus the massive armor bonus plus being considered in Defense on the grounds of Defensive Support means the motherships end up taking...less than 1000 with weapons that can one-hit kill a regular creature as if they had Valor. Usually, you want your battleships at the end to be your replenishers and your resuppliers, since they still provide valuable offensive and defensive support while your characters recover, which tends to make sure your characters don't die in one hit. This is especially true of latter battles, where bosses get all kinds of ridiculous and you have Battle Masteries to achieve.

Considering the pilot who runs the Kurogane, it wouldn't really be fair to give it super items like the steel soul and hero's symbol would it?
    Well...considering who ends up piloting it...you'll see as things go on.

So I just keep the battleships well away while sending my pimped out robots, wich by now should be considerably stronger than the battleship and don't need it's suport anyore anyway.
    You'd need to have your battleships static on their starting point and send all your units upfront, and there's the slight chance you end up having one or two very strong units going after them. It's...not that easy as you think.

Attune is actually pretty much worthless, because almost every pilot out there has strike. The SP regeneration is groovy, but enable is damn expensive, so cheer still easily beats it in the exp gain department. So she's basically a money making machine...Wich reminds me I haven't been spamming bless on mission XVI! AARRGHHH!!! Well thankfully I still wasn't very advanced so restarting shouldn't be too hard.
    Attune is worthwhile eventually, when your SP consumption has been consumed almost entirely. Attune has the dubious benefit of being much cheaper than Strike, and if you do what you should do (aka, give that Supporting character the SP consumption -20% version of Focus), it becomes even cheaper. Enable is not meant for early battles; it is meant for the later battles where extra turns to replenish, resupply and deal extra damage make all the difference between winning and remaining in a standstill. Believe me, Bless won't be as useful in the final battle, while Enable will be invaluable.

On Garnet and SRW Z:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xine Espio, the "evil Lune" of this game looks a bit like Garnet. Only more fanservicey and, well, evil. And like you said, SRW Z has Asakim, the evil Masaki. It's not Masaki turned evil, or his evil twin or anything like that. Just... someone who looks and sounds like Masaki, just evil. Very evil. Rape and murder happy evil.
    Anyway, I'll let those unfamiliar with SRW Z judge for themselves.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I...see what you mean. Though, it's more like Lune Borg-absorbed Garnet on her path to turn evil. It still has Lune's face and eye type/color, but Garnet's hair color, as well as breasts bigger than Garnet and quite possibly on challenge terms with Lamia.

Also...is it me, or does Garnet is so screwed up, she doesn't even have a spine? Seems even Japan can't escape Liefeld.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.

12. - Top - End - #282

I talk about this from experience, and not just game experience but rather "final boss got me in a stalemate" experience. SP Regen only recovers 10 SP per turn, which works great if you don't use Seishin at all. If you'll go with Focus, then you'll get into 0 consumption most of the time, until you get your Will over 130 which is the point where most of the good stuff works. Right at the end, you'll want as much hit and evade as possible, and stacking Focus (which is cheaper most of the time than Strike) with a further bonus to Hit and Evade makes for saving SP where you really need it (Valor, of course)
    Well, perhaps it's that I still haven't faced one of the dreaded HP regen bosses I hear so much rumors about, but in OG1 I killed the final secret boss in hard mode in three turns from the first to the last hit. Carefull suport chaining, using my weaker characters to drain it's energy by brute force to get rid of the barrier, armor breaker, allowing me to go nova in the seishin department, finishing off the bosses before I run out of spirit.

IMHO, that's asking for your characters' death. Defensive Support only works if you have a Super Robot around, and even then it must have a defensive barrier on top of that for it to work. Characters who get Defensive Support in this game usually tend to have mobile mecha, and more often than not end up taking the hit even though they're frickin' fast, which means they get damaged and...you get the idea. EN Field plus the massive armor bonus plus being considered in Defense on the grounds of Defensive Support means the motherships end up taking...less than 1000 with weapons that can one-hit kill a regular creature as if they had Valor. Usually, you want your battleships at the end to be your replenishers and your resuppliers, since they still provide valuable offensive and defensive support while your characters recover, which tends to make sure your characters don't die in one hit. This is especially true of latter battles, where bosses get all kinds of ridiculous and you have Battle Masteries to achieve.
    I was killing bosses in 3 turns tops back in OG1. I killed the damn quircky miniboss squad in 34 turns when you predicted it would take around 100 turns, and the Hyriu custom was regenerating faster than the bosses could wear it down, as long as I choose to defend at the right moments.

This means the bosses will have 3-4 shots at best where the mothership would be able to defend. Combine this with evade and I really don't need to sacrifice valuable items in the mothership, because it will be doing it's job just fine on it's own.

So that kind of tactics is only relevant if the batle bogs down, but as you pointed out the last thing you want is to bog down a batle with a boss. Ofense is the best defense, and falling over the boss shooting all my guns with every ofensive spirit I can use pausing only to cast alert to stop it's counter attacks is, from my experience, a pretty good tactic. My troops will be quite batered at the end, but the boss will be dead.

Plus the Hyriu custom doesn't go faster because it's painted red, and many times I want to get the skill points I'll need to move everything at max speed and leave it behind.
    You'd need to have your battleships static on their starting point and send all your units upfront, and there's the slight chance you end up having one or two very strong units going after them. It's...not that easy as you think.
    Defend: for when those treacherous mooks try to swarm your battleship.

Attune is worthwhile eventually, when your SP consumption has been consumed almost entirely. Attune has the dubious benefit of being much cheaper than Strike, and if you do what you should do (aka, give that Supporting character the SP consumption -20% version of Focus), it becomes even cheaper. Enable is not meant for early battles; it is meant for the later battles where extra turns to replenish, resupply and deal extra damage make all the difference between winning and remaining in a standstill. Believe me, Bless won't be as useful in the final battle, while Enable will be invaluable.
    Wait, WHAT? Atune costs a freaking 35 SP! Strike normally costs 10-15 sp!

But I'll agree that enable gets good later in the game. Ironically, it's another reason to don't give valuable items to the batleships, because enable allows me to go nova even better, allowing me to kill the bosses before the mothership goes down.

Bless may not be as valuable in the final batle, but it will be valuable all the way to then. Doubling the exp you get from killing bosses several levels about you is just brutal, giving normally 3-4 levels in one swoop.
    Plus Russel is a damn good healer with his huge SP pool, and I'll want him to keep my super robots(and batleships) running in said final batle, if it's as hard as people tell.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-10-11 at 03:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Well, perhaps it's that I still haven't faced one of the dreaded HP regen bosses I hear so much rumors about, but in OG1 I killed the final secret boss in hard mode in three turns from the first to the last hit. Carefull suport chaining, using my weaker characters to drain it's energy by brute force to get rid of the barrier, armor breaker, allowing me to go nova in the seishin department, finishing off the bosses before I run out of spirit.
    Hence why I say "I speak from experience". I did the exact same thing you did on OG1 (Hard Mode, unleashed the mayhem on the final boss, used every single combo attack, used Armor Breaker) much like you did. The main difference was that I used Energy Drain instead of whittling down the EN by brute force (and saved a lot of turns that way). Twice, if I may add (since remember, you need to beat OG1 twice to get the benefits.

I was killing bosses in 3 turns tops back in OG1. I killed the damn quircky miniboss squad in 34 turns when you predicted it would take around 100 turns, and the Hyriu custom was regenerating faster than the bosses could wear it down, as long as I choose to defend at the right moments.

This means the bosses will have 3-4 shots at best where the mothership would be able to defend. Combine this with evade and I really don't need to sacrifice valuable items in the mothership, because it will be doing it's job just fine on it's own.

So that kind of tactics is only relevant if the batle bogs down, but as you pointed out the last thing you want is to bog down a batle with a boss. Ofense is the best defense, and falling over the boss shooting all my guns with every ofensive spirit I can use pausing only to cast alert to stop it's counter attacks is, from my experience, a pretty good tactic. My troops will be quite batered at the end, but the boss will be dead.
    One of the best things to recommend to players of OG1 is: remember all you could do on OG1? Forget and relearn after OG2. It's not just the point that bosses get HP regen or block your special weapons: quite a lot has changed (I don't have to mention this to you, but perhaps it's better to do so: as an example, Kyosuke's Seishin list changed between games. Something pretty simple, actually, but it changed). From the separation between Offensive and Defensive Support (instead of a single Support doing both), not having some mechs (such as Wildraubtier and Valsion Custom), new tactics (old game had Valor and spam; this game has Valor and Combo spam), and insane HP levels (you'll notice when you get to the final boss).

I think I said that I'd congratulate you if you did it on less than 75 turns, and I stand to my word. I won't say you did bad, since you didn't, and I won't say I did good since I didn't; I actually had one of them having artificial life regeneration because it was on one of the White Star panels, so I made my combat artificially difficult, and even then I failed to get the items unlike you. I also said if you could finish it on less than 75 turns from the start of the mission to the end of the mission (aka, going to the spot indicated on the map). I purposedly counted those turns (else, I'd have said I finished it on 96 turns; it was the movement that caused me to extend to 100)

This game pretty much requires you to deal over 30000 damage right at the end to be considered spectacular. I'd say you should prepare and learn how to enhance your weapon damage to succeed on those final bosses, or else it'll be a tad more difficult to go fully offensive than you thought. I know, since I followed the same line of thought and it wasn't enough...

If you care to see some spoilers...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stern Neueregisseur has Warp Field, small HP regen, large EN regen, Prevail, Attacker, Guard, 680 EN and a whopping 450,000-500,000 HP. You don't start seeing ???? until the last third turn, where after two or three attacks you'll see 99999 and lesser numbers.

Just a friendly warning, since the worst thing you want is being completely depowered at the wrong moment.

Defend: for when those treacherous mooks try to swarm your battleship.
    Ahem, like I didn't knew that. Though, oddly enough at times you can actually avoid using Evade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Usually good when you have Defensive Support and the evasion rate is around 64%. Saves you twice the effort!

Wait, WHAT? Atune costs a freaking 35 SP! Strike normally costs 10-15 sp!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alfimi/Alchemie's Attune costs 10 SP. Or heck, I think it costs 5. Restarted game, so I can't tell you exactly how much, but it was dirt cheap and Alchemie doesn't have Focus enabled (she does have SP Regen) Her most expensive Seishin is Love and it costs 50; Enable costs 40.

Also, IIRC, there was someone else that had Attune on around 15 or so.

But I'll agree that enable gets good later in the game. Ironically, it's another reason to don't give valuable items to the batleships, because enable allows me to go nova even better, allowing me to kill the bosses before the mothership goes down.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alchemie's Enable is the best, cost effective extra turn Seishin you'll have. Ring's Enable costs about 70, Latooni's Enable costs roughly the same, and Radha's Enable costs a whopping 80. That's about 1 or 2 turns before you get your support characters fully drained. Renew is far more important in here, which is one of the reasons why Aya is so important and why she MUST have SP Regen and Focus.

Bless may not be as valuable in the final batle, but it will be valuable all the way to then. Doubling the exp you get from killing bosses several levels about you is just brutal, giving normally 3-4 levels in one swoop.
    Evidently so. Bless is valuable right before the moment of the final battle. However, raising the right supporter is far more valuable.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the last battle, for example, I had the following supporters:
    --Latooni and Shine, since they double as damage dealers with their Royal Heartbreaker. Latooni has the always-important Enable.
    --Ring in her Huckebein as an offensive supporter and also with Enable.
    --Aya because she's an SRX pilot, and she has Renew.
    --Alchemie is always there, and she's much like Ring: an awesome offensive supporter with great supportive Seishin.
    --Ironically, Lefina and even Eita. Lefina has Hope, which is rare to see but at times beyond invaluable (it allows Aya, for example, to get Renew which means you can allow some of your characters to go nova safely)

I felt bad not to have Russel or Radha, but honestly? It was going to be insanely hard to work one of them with their low XP, even when they had Bless-kills.

Plus Russel is a damn good healer with his huge SP pool, and I'll want him to keep my super robots(and batleships) running in said final batle, if it's as hard as people tell.
    Then make sure he's on a pretty hefty level. This I won't even care to spoil; if he's not over level 50 by the time you reach the end boss, he won't be as helpful as you think. If you have a character who hasn't learned ALL of their Seishin at their final battle, it's better to keep them behind.
    On Lawful Good:

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I find it hilarious you guys are spending this much effort arguing tactics when the Original Generation games are so easy they're nigh-impossible to lose. You're using more time debating tactics than it actually takes to finish a mission.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Banned

The hard part is getting all skill points without ever allowing anyone to get shot down and getting all available secrets too.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I find it hilarious you guys are spending this much effort arguing tactics when the Original Generation games are so easy they're nigh-impossible to lose. You're using more time debating tactics than it actually takes to finish a mission.
    Haven't you actually learned anything while seeing this Let's Play?
    [pointless rant]
    Tactical discussions without a hefty dose of hot blood are not tactical discussions; merely simple conversation. Anything without a hefty dose of hot blooded awesomeness fails to even reach normal levels![/pointless rant]

In premise, they're easy: finish the mission and that's it. In reality, it's a tad harder: getting the Battle Mastery (or Skill Point, if you wish to call it that), getting the secret stuff (since, ironically, in these kinds of games it's tantamount to revealing the true story), and making your game harder by placing yourself in ever-increasing challenges. Hard is hard because it implies you're going for a ridiculously powerful challenge; Easy implies you don't have the guts for the challenge and thus make the battle much easier (higher XP, easier enemies, no access to the uber-hard final mission).
    On Lawful Good:

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Actually, as long as you remember to upgrade your weapons fairly constantly, even the battle masteries in the OG games are pretty much a cakewalk, as are the secrets if you pay attention and follow the incredibly convoluted (but not difficult) instructions.

I will admit that beating the Inspectors is a challenge, though, and getting most of the secret items/mechs without a guide is impossible without dozens of hours of tedious dedication.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Banned

It was the not losing anybody part that was tricky, because it is easy to overlook something and overwrite your save and get stuck having to do the entire map over to avoid it and that is tedious enough to be a huge distraction. It is easier to avoid if you don't go for skill points and secrets and take it more carefully.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Actually, as long as you remember to upgrade your weapons fairly constantly, even the battle masteries in the OG games are pretty much a cakewalk, as are the secrets if you pay attention and follow the incredibly convoluted (but not difficult) instructions.

I will admit that beating the Inspectors is a challenge, though, and getting most of the secret items/mechs without a guide is impossible without dozens of hours of tedious dedication.
    Funny thing, I beat OG1 on Kyosuke's route without ever upgrading weapons. The end was a real pain in the butt doing enough damage.

Speaking of enough damage, Alpha Gaiden is kicking my butt, but I won't lament about that here.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Funny thing, I beat OG1 on Kyosuke's route without ever upgrading weapons. The end was a real pain in the butt doing enough damage.

Speaking of enough damage, Alpha Gaiden is kicking my butt, but I won't lament about that here.
    I did the same in OG1 with Kyosuke's route.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Pixie in the Playground

Gilliam spoilers ahead:

Spoiler
    Show
    This episode marks Gilliam's first known Interaction with Mekibos, but (I believe) second encounter. I don't think he ever talked to him in 4/4s/F Final, but I think he was around for Mekibos' talking. I'm still some 60 missions away, so I'll try to get a definite answer to that in about two weeks or so. Maybe more.

22. - Top - End - #292

Just out of curiosity, how many of the "Run away when I'm weakened" bosses did you managed to give the killing blow? It was the only reason I now and then upgraded weapons, so I could see Sanger actually blowing up for a change. Plus geting the fat loot they droped.

It also may explain why I didn't have that much trouble with the last bosses, since by then I was heavily loaded with extra cash, items and experience.

Oh, I managed to get my hands on the translated version recently, but I won't play it untill I finish this LP.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Banned

Finally got @Gaiden working thankfully. First mission though Ryou gets critted shotted and died on a counter attack. Did I anger some god or something?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno, not too many I'm sure.

And as for @Gaiden, that's some bad luck. You hsould totally not run awayand use the lab for defense. It'll save you cause it heals you.

Factotum Variants!

25. - Top - End - #295

Episode XVI: KILL IT WITH ANGST!

Begining
    Spoiler
    Show

With better nothing to do on Earth, I decided to spy on our dear president. Nice to see he will finaly put his diplomatic skillz to use with misdirected humans instead of alien invaders.

Well, I guess I won't have the luck to have them try to solve their diferences with a batle to the death.

Speaking of batles to the death, that kid Arado should be recovered. Let's see how he's going...

That's Rhada. A master of torture, or as she likes to call it, yoga. Very good suport pilot who thinks she's artillery. Also some prediction powers. Basicaly crazy oriental girl with crazy ki powers or something like that.
    Now don't understimate the possibilites of alternative medicine!

You had three parents, one of wich was a computer?
    Yes, what's wrong with that? Don't all babies come from labs?

Ok, I'm geting sick of all this angst, let's see whatever's hapening at the rest of the base. There are at least three more women around here, somebody must be having some action...
    ________

Ah, Ryo had already been presented. He had retired from being a pilot to pure development of mechas. Marion was always just an engineer. I think. I'm almost sure I never fought with or against her at least.
    Please, we need to stop the test!
    Ah, yes, Ryoto is a pretty angst dude. I don't remember ever seeing him smiling.

The chinese girl is Rio. I guess one could call her Ryoto's girlfriend, if they weren't just so damn shy about feelings. And Ryoto being angst.
    Don't mind my burned hands. Nothing that some skin transplant can't solve!

I would be more than willing to give you my salary...

The president of Mao industries heh? Rio has surely risen on her life.

And there she is. I think she used to be a mecha pilot back on the days.
    We're a freaking mecha building company! Can someone explain me why don't we have an army? Also, who was the idiot who put glass walls on a building in the freaking moon when there are attacks every other week? I'm surrounded by incopetents!

If you want something done well, do it yourself! If I let the protection of the prototypes up to you there'll be nothing left!

Geez, father, I'm a grown up women now. I know how to deal with alien invasions by myself!

Heh, guess the inspectors weren't wasting any time in trying to cripple our economy.

Battle part I
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, wait, the Schutzwald is MY mecha! We've been trough the DC war togheter! I just painted it yellow last week for it to be shootier and everything!
    First, you're a freaking suport pilot, not a real robot one. Second the evacutation ship is mine, and I'm not leaving my super prototypes behind for your piece of obsolete trash. So stop whining, I'll buy you a new one when we are back in safety.
    ...Very well, if that is your wish...

Wait, I just noticed, there's something here about an "Huckebeing Mark II-E" in the inventories...
    I don't know what you're talking about.
    Please, Rio, don't mind that, it was an atempt of trying to replicate the valsione technology...

I'll show you all now...That I'm a true real robot pilot!

Rhada bravely charged alone at the first wave of enemy robots

Ok, now, how do you pilot this ttthiinnnggggg!!!
    The metal ball proved to be quite effective.
    It seemed like Arado also could hit something with ranged weapons.

In the blink of an eye, Arado, had crushed the attacking robots, whitout Rhada managing to lift a finger. I hope this teaches her her proper place.

But we got reinforcments of our own. Seemed like Ring had finished loading the mechas.

Damn right! They're only taking this over my dead body!

Indeed. Breaking trough the enemies lines is what any real mecha pilot would do. Specialy when you're in space and you could just fly upwards and thus geting away from the attackers whitout endangering civilians, but where would be the fun on that?

B-But what kind of man am I that I let the women and kids do the fighting while I sit here at the transport? What did I do to
    deserve such fate?

An excellent question. What are you expecting to grab a combat mecha and jump out of there you sissy?

All units CHARGE! Except you Ryoto. Please drive carefully. Oh, and I'll kill you if you even scratch that ship.
    Y-Yes m'am...
    Wow, and I thinking that Tasuko let women boss him around.

Battle part II

Spoiler
    Show

Rhada started charging ahead, burning with fighting spirit.

I can do it! I'm a real robot pilot! I'll kill them all myself!
    Ok, ok, I'll let you take the lead for now...

Ring proves to be quite a suportive woman when needed.

Rhada learns the hard way that she isn't such a good dodger.

Arado cleaves a path trough the cyborg mechas with his steel balls!

Ring sees herself forced into close combat.

Rio reveals to be a star wars fangirl.

Rio gets really pissed off and unleashes the power of the Force!

They were almost escaping but then...

AAAAYYYYYYYEEEEEE!!!!!!
    Stop screaming you litle girl! Get an hold of yourself!

Only the thruster? Oh, sorry...

O'rlly? You and what army?

No...
    Hm? It seemed like Ryoto was finaly growing a pair.
    ´
    Ok people! Let's give this inspector something to inspect! GANK HIM!

Ring still has her pilot skillz!
    Here I go!

Arado shows he's alert.
    Mekibos isn't manly enough to deal with two women at the same time.

Rio joins the party.

T-Take t-this!

Ryoto?

Ryoto!

Ryoto!

Ryoto!

AAAAYYYYEEEEE!!!!

Ryoto!

Ryoto!

Rio!

HIS ANGST LEVEL IS OVER 9000!!!!

What have you done you fools?
    We need to get away from here! He'll kill us all!
    So this is the true power of angst...How fearsome!
    Ryoto!

This is my first time doing this...Please be gentle Ryoto-kun...
    RRAAARGHHHHAAYEYEERRHGHIOHUIPJASFJNUIINIE!

Get a room damnit!
    W-what are they doing Rhada?
    Remember asking where babies come from? Well it's something like what they're doing, but whitout the mechas.
    Yeeewww, gross!

WHO ISN'T MANLY ENOUGH NOW?!

Well, it seemed like they had managed to escape the inspector, wich was kinda lucky as Ryoto had passed out from his angst rage. On one side it was bad that we had lost another factory. In another hand they had rescued the prototypes, and soon would have no other choice but to join the ATX team!

Ending
    Spoiler
    Show

...What hapened just now? I can't remember anything...
    Dude, you were totally awesome now!
    You also finaly have been a true man with Rio.

About time. I was wondering where our second mothership was. We really need to give it a new red paint coating.

Uf, I was scared for a moment there, with Lune wanting to go join our fleet of useless mooks, instead of joining forces with us.

Wait, you're giving up so easily?
    Meh, it will just be easier to sneack into batle when you're not looking. No use to spend more time arguing.

Well, that wasn't completely unexpected. Gilliam comes and goes as he pleases, always doing secret dirty jobs on the backgrounds. I know he'll be back for the final batles however. Farewell time-space traveler!

Speaking of time-space travelers, I wonder how the inspectors leader is reacting to his minions most recent failure...

_______

Hmm, world conquering delusions aside, this kid seems to have some goals wich interest me. I would also like to know where the top mecha in existence is wandering.

Hey, that's funny! We now have all three generations of Hukebeings!

Achievement awarded: Huckebeing collector!

(More minions allies for the ATX team! This batch brings some much needed heavy firepower, and the unlocked boosted hammer is a nice bonus on top of that. I believe nobody has any objections with Arado geting the empty Huckebeing and throwing in the boosted hammer on it for some melee goodness right?)
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-10-14 at 11:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Banned

Ryoto isn't much of an angster, he's just a huge crybaby that can get really dangerous in times of need. Ever watched Baccano?

Also, you could call Rio Ryoto's "boyfriend"? I assume it's a typo, but it still shows who wears the pants in the relationship.

Hooray, new pilots (and awesome ones to that, but we're playing SRW so saying that is redundant). You're slowly running out of place to field them all in one mission, I reckon. Time to make difficult choices!
    And in case anyone missed the memo - Arado is an idiot. But at least he's a hilarious idiot.

Movies coming up soon. Also, AM Gunner sucks, I'd give Rio a different unit if I were you, as soon as anything better than a Gespenst frees up. But that's my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-10-14 at 10:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Enjoy the last time Shinji Ryoto or the Huckebein Mark III does anything cool (or remotely relevant). At least this was pretty awesome.

And Arado can stick in any mech with melee power for now, which is to say any mech with the Boosted Hammer, so you're good! Really, try to find something with heavy armor to tide him over until he gets the Wildwurger; in case you hadn't noticed, he dodges like a lump of rock.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298

Ryoto isn't much of an angster, he's just a huge crybaby that can get really dangerous in times of need. Ever watched Baccano?
    The man doesn't smile! He doesn't end half his sentences and indeed cries a lot! I would even dare to say he's "gasp" Shinji Hikari with dyed hair!

Also, you could call Rio Ryoto's "boyfriend"? I assume it's a typo, but it still shows who wears the pants in the relationship.
    It was a typ, but I'm not ashamed to say that I at first tought Ryoto was the shy girl and Rio was the manly boy when I first played OG1.

EDIT:DAMNIT I TRADED THE NAMES AGAIN!

Hooray, new pilots (and awesome ones to that, but we're playing SRW so saying that is redundant). You're slowly running out of place to field them all in one mission, I reckon. Time to make difficult choices!
    And in case anyone missed the memo - Arado is an idiot. But at least he's a hilarious idiot.
    Hey, he's 16 years old, doesn't even know how to properly pilot a lion and was suposed to be just a new body test anyway, so his brain is just average instead of genius-level like Latooni. Go easy on him

But indeed, he adds quite a good doe of humor, while Excellen doesn't come back at least.

Movies coming up soon. Also, AM Gunner sucks, I'd give Rio a different unit if I were you, as soon as anything better than a Gespenst frees up. But that's my personal opinion.
    Saying that it sucks is litle, since it has not a single weapon that can fire after moving, but it's still needed to make up the fusion isn't it? Give it to Russel and do yahoi fanservice?

Or is the fusion result just not worth it? I think I heard someone say it was pretty weak somewhere in this thread.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-10-14 at 11:03 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The problem with Huckebein Mark III Gunner is that you have to use up two unit deployment slots to actually use it. This is a pain late in the game when you have like 30 pilots and only like 12 deployment slots (especially since you're probably already using three on SRX, spoilers).

Combining robots are much better in home platform titles where you can just leave them combined and they only take up one slot.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, the AM Gunner is crap even if it looks like an X-Wing. Leave it in the garage. I think the only thign I've used it for is slapping Repair/Resupply on during someof the route splits where you can deploy all your pilots and she's amongthem. I think last time through I put Rio in Viletta's Gespsenst-R after putting Viletta into the Ashsaber. Still didn'thave much use for her becasue there are far more awesome machines and pilots.

Factotum Variants!