Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default Strange, weak superheroes

Hey guys,

I'm running a mutants and masterminds game with the stipulation that it's like Mystery Men. I need ideas for superheroes that fit in these guidelines. Not necessarily ineffective, just unique and odd. So far I have a guy who controls animals, though set in a city setting his choices of animals are very limited. I also have a a guy who was trained by Clowns. He throws marbles. He throws marbles very well... But throws marbles nonetheless. So I need some ideas for some more heroes. It will work best if they can actually do things just in odd or interesting ways.

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Strange, weak superheroes

A superhero who can drink lots of water. Guess how he releases it?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Supergeek: uses really geeky devices for everything. Segue like device for increased speed and mobility. Remote control to animate machinery. Nightvision goggles. Bluetooth phone and wireless computer for comm. Hands free super coffee/energy drink carrier for enhanced performance.

Dr. Schrodinger: powers loosely based on quantum mechanics. If not "observed" can move freely to any place within his normal move even one he could not normally be in without ill effect, for ex inside a wall. If observed, can still do his little "teleport" but he can only jump to a "safe" spot and only through a "wall" or "barrier" of some kind.
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-07-31 at 09:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

4. - Top - End - #4

What power level are we talking? 6-7ish is what I'd imagine for this type of game...hmmm...

If you've seen "Sky High" (which is actually a decent supers movie despite the hand of Disney), the sidekick powers are pretty good inspirations (turning into a gerbil, liquefying but being unable to move, etc), with a sequence at the end showing how they can all be pretty handy.

Also a spiritual companion of Mystery Men is "The Specials." While most of the team members actually have pretty good powers (never shown due to the low budget), one team member has the ability to...lay eggs...which the team leader then hastily explains are trick eggs filled with useful gadgets. Could be a good gimmick.

Also, look to the Tick. The Civic Minded 5 all have really goofy powers but use them somewhat effectively, as do the superhero trainees in that one episode. The villains are all pretty interesting too. The Breadmaster and El Seed both show very creative uses of a limited scope of powers (super-baking and animating various crops, respectively).
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah power level 5. Do you have a good source to look at Tick characters? Those sound like what I'm after.

6. - Top - End - #6

Mighty Microwave, the man with the power to control Microwaves! Unfortunately, creative interpretation of words helps little - he was gifted with the power to control Microwave Ovens. Remotely, yes, but still only Microwave Ovens.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

MonkGuy

Rowsdower: A man who gets more physically powerful as he gets drunker.

Ram McStrongfist: a 6 ft. man with a twenty foot fist. It lets him deliver slam attacks equal to a colossal creature and gives him bonuses to grapple checks.

Mr. Indestructible: a man who takes no damage from anything except spit. The spit deals the amount of damage a solid object that size would deal, but every attack made with spit automatically threatens if it hits.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Iden View Post
    Yeah power level 5. Do you have a good source to look at Tick characters? Those sound like what I'm after.
    The Tick like characters are easy. Just take any level character and refluff to funny.

So for ex, suppose you make a character with the Additional Limbs power, sort of like Medusa of the Inhumans.

Except instead of a femme fatal with prehensile hair, the character is guy with a prehensile handlebar mustache called Sal Vador "The Lip".

Or you can go the other way. Take a name and mechanize to funny.

The Bat Man. Dresses in a dark cowl and cape. Has a utility belt full of...baseball bats. Everything is a bat. So give him Weapon abilities with different bats like Stun.
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-07-31 at 09:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post
    (...) one team member has the ability to...lay eggs...which the team leader then hastily explains are trick eggs filled with useful gadgets. Could be a good gimmick.
    cO-co! Coco!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Jell-O Man.

And while we're talking about Jell-O Man and The Tick, see if you can dig up anything interesting on Bobobo-bo bo-bobo. It's, uh... Kind of somewhat sorta like a manga/anime version of The Tick. Off the top of my head, there's a guy who specializes in rice-based attacks.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2009-07-31 at 10:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

A long time ago, in a galaxy far,
    far away. . . .

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Jell-O Man.

And while we're talking about Jell-O Man and The Tick, see if you can dig up anything interesting on Bobobo-bo bo-bobo. It's, uh... Kind of somewhat sorta like a manga/anime version of The Tick. Off the top of my head, there's a guy who specializes in rice-based attacks.
    Doesn't the main character in that fight with his super-long, prehensile nosehair? Or mustache?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zuki View Post
    Doesn't the main character in that fight with his super-long, prehensile nosehair? Or mustache?
    Yes. And one of the characters fights with the "Fist of the Back Wind."

Here's an idea for a villain.

The *insert the name for the guy who takes down notes during a court proceeding.*

He appears to be a small, short, mostly useless looking man, constantly lugging around an old typewriter. However, if he desires, any speech he types on the typewriter becomes real. If he views something going on and wants to change the outcome, his fingers move near instantly, replacing somebodies words as they speak. He can also change what people say after they have spoken, although they are more likely to dismiss that as misremembering the event.

14. - Top - End - #14

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post

The *insert the name for the guy who takes down notes during a court proceeding.*

He appears to be a small, short, mostly useless looking man, constantly lugging around an old typewriter. However, if he desires, any speech he types on the typewriter becomes real. If he views something going on and wants to change the outcome, his fingers move near instantly, replacing somebodies words as they speak. He can also change what people say after they have spoken, although they are more likely to dismiss that as misremembering the event.
    The word you are looking for is stenographer.
    Hello world. . .

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Fine. The Stenographer, then. MUHAHAHAHA!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Agua Man, lesser known cousin of Aqua Man. Has the ability to summon bottles of mineral water from thin air.

17. - Top - End - #17

Fine. The Stenographer, then. MUHAHAHAHA!
    Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    The word you are looking for is stenographer.
    The Grammarian. He kills you with "Gramma" Rays.

Lexikong. A 900 pound gorilla with an overdeveloped brain and vocabulary.
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-07-31 at 11:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

18. - Top - End - #18

From the tick there was chippendale, the BBEG whos head was a wooden chair. There was also their version of wonderwoman, the american maid, she threw her high heels at the enemy like ninja stars.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I had one guy who use the time power to do montages.

Each montage took 5 minutes, and gave 1/10 the amount of training that really doing those things do. I think I mainly used it as a slideshow, of fights that other people did.

I think he was PL 10 though. Time travel costs a lot :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Iden View Post
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen the animated series in a while. Apparently its official website is still up, http://video.movies.go.com/thetick/ and it has a little heroes and villains guide with brief descriptions of some of the characters I was referencing.

But as an example, you have Captain Mucilage, a member of the Civic Minded 5. His glue attack would be a Snare, maybe with AP's for an area version, and that's really all he can do. Most of the Tick characters are like that, kind of ridiculously narrow in scope.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2009-08-01 at 11:00 AM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Oh!

Like Grant Morrison during his short lived tenor on the suicide squad!

Also a good source of inspiration: Section 8, from Hitman.

Especially Dogwelder.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Another good source of inspiration: Flaming Carrot comics and the Mysterymen comic from which sprung forth your Mystery Men movie.

My favorite is the guy whose only ability is to turn into a chair.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Banzai View Post
    Another good source of inspiration: Flaming Carrot comics and the Mysterymen comic from which sprung forth your Mystery Men movie.

My favorite is the guy whose only ability is to turn into a chair.
    That reminds me.

Look up old Hostess ads. Trust me, those are insane.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    The Bat Man. Dresses in a dark cowl and cape. Has a utility belt full of...baseball bats. Everything is a bat. So give him Weapon abilities with different bats like Stun.
    That is an incredible character idea! You could build a theme from that!

But wait, didn't we see this guy in TMNT? "Nobody understands cricket!".

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skorj View Post
    That is an incredible character idea! You could build a theme from that!

But wait, didn't we see this guy in TMNT? "Nobody understands cricket!".
    Well, technically Casey Jones used gear from every sport.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

My favourites are ones themed after animals, like Batman and Spiderman, but randomly obscure ones, which would actually have some useful powers. For example, Tardigrade Man who has the ability to go into a coma and resist any kind of harm, including asphyxiation and decompression, or The Clown Fish, who can breathe underwater, induce hideous laughter (TM) in people by pointing at them, and turn into a woman at will to slip inconspicuously into the crowd.

There's also the superhero idea that came to my as I was walking past a shop of the same name: Hat Man! A bit like a more benevolent Oddjob maybe?

On a similar vein, when a flatmate of mine meant to say, "Just his shoes," I hazily interpreted it as Justice Shoes, stomping the corrupt and immoral into the dust with a stylish array of footwear.

Yeah, I'm done.
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

How about, Lord of Drinks? He can conjure, alcohol!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Jigsaw Man. Focusing on the Anatomic Separation Power, he can literally become a human jigsaw.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    Dr. Schrodinger: powers loosely based on quantum mechanics. If not "observed" can move freely to any place within his normal move even one he could not normally be in without ill effect, for ex inside a wall. If observed, can still do his little "teleport" but he can only jump to a "safe" spot and only through a "wall" or "barrier" of some kind.
    It'd be funnier if he couldn't do anything at all when observed. So to defeat him, stare at him, he's done for!

When he was a little boy, he tried to prove to his parents that he had superpowers, but they never believed him. Probably because they couldn't witness it. He thinks they're ignoring him though and it has affected him up until now.

Otherwise, he seems too much like the girl from xmen whom could move through walls (minx or whatever?), or Dr. Manhatten being a more broad comparison.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-08-01 at 05:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    Ram McStrongfist: a 6 ft. man with a twenty foot fist. It lets him deliver slam attacks equal to a colossal creature and gives him bonuses to grapple checks.

Mr. Indestructible: a man who takes no damage from anything except spit. The spit deals the amount of damage a solid object that size would deal, but every attack made with spit automatically threatens if it hits.
    For Mcstrongfist, the bonus to grapple should be grab instead since he'd technically only be grappling with the one big fist. Give him improved grab too if you want.

For Mr Indestructible, it'd make sense if the spit worked like acid, also depending on size. If you rule that spit is usually diminutive, a single salvo might do 1d2 acid damage (only to Indestructible of course) with a huge critical multiplier (acid in the eye is a terrible thing).
    ------

And another reference - Rage Rabbit! Type 'rage rabbit hotbox' on youtube, if interested.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-08-01 at 05:21 PM.