New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: worst dm trap

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: worst dm trap

Well, it's not a trap, but probably a big puzzle:

- A 4x4 (squares) room, with one way in and at least another way out. In the center of the room lies an altar-like plataform made of stone, and, carved in its surface, if a small but complex maze. Now, just beside the maze carving there's a carved space for a humanoid hand, in which a player must place his hand. As he does so, a small figure representing himself will appear in the maze. You see, scattered through the maze, there are drawings of question marks and they can represent an encounter, a trap, a treasure or nothing. Whichever happens when the find a '?' will happen in the real room. Once any player manages to get out of the maze, the door will open.

This can work out as a way to include traps in a puzzle . Maybe not all sorts of traps, but some of them can surely be used here! Imagine a player trying to avoid the questions marks, striving to find the exit as his real room is quickly filled with water, threathening to make the whole party drown!
    "I'd rather DM to nice heroes than powerful slashers."
    Im a fan of dungeons.

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

I just had an idea for an entire dungeon filled with unfair deathtraps, and a really crappy reward at the end. It's actually a money-making scheme that some evil guy thought up and built, then spread rumors about this dungeon being full of treasure, to lure adventurers to their dooms.

Behind the scenes, a gelatinous cube or two keep everything clean and running. They crawl around absorbing corpses, oozing onto "elevators" which use their weight (50,000 pounds!) to reset traps, and at some point get squeezed through something like a sieve to filter out all the indigestible treasure, which gets deposited into the room at the end (which casts a Nystul's Aura on everything, so it seems valuable). Twice a year, the proprietor drops by to take the most valuable stuff, leaving a mound of useless junk that would seem magical to anyone that actually makes it through.

Whether the party finds anything good depends entirely on the time of year.
    Last edited by RyanM; 2009-08-07 at 01:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    I just had an idea for an entire dungeon filled with unfair deathtraps, and a really crappy reward at the end. It's actually a money-making scheme that some evil guy thought up and built, then spread rumors about this dungeon being full of treasure, to lure adventurers to their dooms.

Behind the scenes, a gelatinous cube or two keep everything clean and running. They crawl around absorbing corpses, oozing onto "elevators" which use their weight (50,000 pounds!) to reset traps, and at some point get squeezed through something like a sieve to filter out all the indigestible treasure, which gets deposited into the room at the end (which casts a Nystul's Aura on everything, so it seems valuable). Twice a year, the proprietor drops by to take the most valuable stuff, leaving a mound of useless junk that would seem magical to anyone that actually makes it through.

Whether the party finds anything good depends entirely on the time of year.
    Sounds nice. I'd like to see the cubes scheme working, :D but I think it would piss most players off if they faced a Tomb-of-Horrors-like dungeon and found no reward. Lol.
    "I'd rather DM to nice heroes than powerful slashers."
    Im a fan of dungeons.

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.