New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Template: Creatures of Force

Occasionally a magical accident, or a deliberate ritual, will transform a person or creature into a being of pure magical force, the same invulnerable energy that a Wall of Force consists of.

Creatures of Force
    A Creature of Force retains their old form, abilities, and stats except they lose their Constition score and gain the following:

Invisible
    Creatures of Force are invisible when completely still, and appear as translucent glass or water when they are moving. This effect does not extend to their clothing or possessions.

Invincibility
    Creatures of Force are completely immune to all non-magical forms of injury. They have no hitpoint score, and are either utterly intact or nonexistent. They can still be grappled, restrained, or imprisoned however as becoming a creature of force does not increase their strength.

Magic Immunity
    Creatures of Force are completely immune to all magical and supernatural effects except those that can harm a Wall of Force. Being hit with disintegrate immediately destroys them with no save, as does a rod of cancellation, a sphere of annihilation, or a mage’s disjunction spell. They cannot drop this immunity even for beneficial spells.

Ethereal and Material

A Creature of Force's body extends to the Ethereal Plane as a Wall of Force does. They can always see and interact with creatures and objects on the Ethereal Plane. An ethereal barrier will block them even if there is no obstacle on the material plane. This effect does not extend to their clothing or possessions, a normal sword will still be intangible to an ethereal creature even if wielded by a Creature of Force.

Darkvision
    Darkvision up to 60ft.

No Biology
    Creatures of force do not breathe, eat, sleep, grow tired, or age. They lose any extraordinary ability that involves a discarded biological component, such as poisons, spit attacks or stenches. They lose their sense of smell and taste.

No Remains
    If a Creature of Force is destroyed their body vanishes without a trace. The only method to bring them back to life it to cast True Resurrection on a Wall of Force created specifically for the purpose of resurrection. This destroys the wall, transforming it into a new body for the creature.

USES

If you want a bunch of glass-like invincible animals or enemies to attack your party, Creatures of Force could be a fun encounter.

Or a player could become a Creature of Force to be an invincible fighter, but would have to avoid anyone that could disintegrate.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-08-05 at 01:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Template: Creatures of Force

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Invincibility
    Creatures of Force are completely immune to any type of damage that could not harm a Wall of Force. Nor can they be affected by any spell that allows a fortitude or will save, even beneficial spells. They can still be grappled, restrained, or imprisoned however as becoming a creature of force does not increase their strength. Non-magical fearful presences can still affect them, though they may receive situational bonuses due to their invulnerability. Any spell that could destroy a Wall of Force instantly eradicates them with no save.
    I assume that one is supposed to override the other, but since Disintegrate is one of the primary methods of dealing with walls of force and requires a Fort save, a clarification would be good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    I assume that one is supposed to override the other, but since Disintegrate is one of the primary methods of dealing with walls of force and requires a Fort save, a clarification would be good.
    Good point. I meant that they are immune to anything that allows a fort save, but they have no save against anything effective against force.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

That still doesn't say which rule has precedence.

EDIT: Don't know why you said they can't gain XPs, but it does make the LA moot except for one-off adventures. You probably meant the CR adjustment. That would be tricky since anything built for grappling is going to be much harder to defeat than anything not. Perhaps having the LA being explicitly based on grapple check relative to CR and then having additional modifiers based on abilities like Improved Grab and Constrict? In any case, their natural attacks ought to penetrate DR as if they were adamintine (or even Obdurium if that is better).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-08-04 at 01:23 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Creatures of Force should have their type changed to Outsider as it appears that they function mainly on the Ethereal Plane, especially since they no longer need to eat, breathe or sleep. The way you describe "Unliving," I'm not sure if this is a new subtype or not.

"Force effects originating on the Material Plane can affect items and creatures on the Ethereal Plane, but the reverse is not true. Because the Ethereal Plane is often used for travel, it is also considered a transitive plane (like the Astral Plane and the Plane of Shadow)." PHB

You need to spell out whether these abilities are natural, extraordinary, spell-like or supernatural. Darkvision is an extraordinary ability. What happens if the base creature already has darkvision?

Any spell that could destroy a wall of force instantly eradicates them with no save
    This seems to indicate that they can be disintegrated. I think you should edit the previous notation about spells to include exactly which spells work and which ones don't. Otherwise it's conflicting information.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-08-04 at 01:22 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

i feel like they should get some kind of strength bonus.
    Dragonforce should be sued for inhumane treatment of guitars

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    This seems to indicate that they can be disintegrated. I think you should edit the previous notation about spells to include exactly which spells work and which ones don't. Otherwise it's conflicting information.
    All their abilities are supernatural. And yes, they can be disintegrated. In fact it's their major weakness. They're immune to all damage but disintegrate destroys them without a save.

I made several changes to the template to make it more appealing should someone want to play.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-08-05 at 01:14 PM.