New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Character Concepts and Building Them

I come here today with a very real issue - that I'm sure we can all relate too.

I have a sheet of character concepts I'd love to play - But I have no clue on how to at all. They're a concept and I just don't have the know-how to make them.

And I wager you all have this as well. Well, some. Some people are quite capable of just recalling several thousand pages worth of information - a skill I'm insanely jealous of.

But yeah! I was thinking that in this thread people could post their concepts that they've wanted to play and then as a forum we could suggest ways to make them work mechanically.

I'll start. I love Lucha. And I'd love to play a Luchadore in 3.5. Throwing myself off walls, saving people for justice, and honour. But that involves...grappling. And then being useful, ever.

And I don't know how to deal with that particular issue. Help!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Character Concepts and Building Them

First there is already a thread for this issue

As for your idea, be a Fighter or Monk with improved grapple.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

And then being useful
    be a Fighter or Monk
    I cannot help but laugh.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I think by FAR the best way to play a Luchadore would be to play an Unarmed Swordsage. Luchadores may do grappling, but the archetypal luchadore, at least to me, is more of a jumping, tumbling, moving typhoon. Setting Sun, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind-focus would enable just that very easily, although dipping few levels in Halfling Monk (which receives Skirmish, allowing you to deal some extra as you move; then just pick Improved Skirmish and profit) couldn't hurt either.

The other option would probably be an Unarmed Dervish-build (with Versatile Unarmed Strike to make Unarmed Strikes slashing). Either way, getting Improved Grapple and Str-focus is about all you can do for Grappling without using magic or being big.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for missing the appropriate thread. I'll look into swordsage - sounds like a plan.