New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A question regarding non-associated levels.

A frost giant seems pretty well geared towards a martial class. 14 racial HD, +18 Str, -2 Dex, +10 Con, +4 Wis. A Jarl is typically a level 8 Blackguard (CR 17). The organization often includes clerics and sorcerers, however, apart from the cleric (and with the lesser spellcasting progression, it doesn't seem optimal), they'd kinda suck at a 1:1 ratio for level/CR. However, if they're non-associated, a level 14 frost giant cleric or sorcerer would be a mere CR 16. So, what's the deal? Are they stuck with having sub-optimal spellcasting, or is it more reasonable that there is a point where the levels are no longer non-associated (say, class levels equal to half racial HD). That would make the same level 14 cleric or sorcerer CR 19; I'm unsure if that's good enough, but it is certainly more reasonable. Opinions on this? Am I underestimating a level 8 frost giant cleric or sorcerer compared to a blackguard or fighter?

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A question regarding non-associated levels.

It gets worse when you reach the point where the class levels exceed the CR.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

The CR system is broken, and non-associated levels only help to break it further. You can send some Dragons with Wizard levels (non-associated, unlike Sorcerer) that are CR = party level, but have as many Wizard levels as the party plus are Dragons.
    The nice thing is that you can swipe any cheese build your players have and bring it up a notch by putting it on a mighty beastie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Never use unassociated class levels unless you like numbers that don't make any sense.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The core Monster Manual is not very helpful in this matter, but MM5 gives a rather good guideline in at least one monster entry. The Elemental Mage (elementally-themed ogre mage variants) is a giant type. ANY class that improves BAB by 3/4 (cleric progression) and has at least d8 hit dice (cleric hit dice) is considered associated. If you use the same guideline for the Frost giant, cleric would be considered associated.

Now it all goes to hell when you use sorcerer or wizard levels. A CR 16 Frost giant sorcerer would have 14 class levels. You'd better make sure that your PCs have an edge over that.

The organization entry does say that the Frost Giant Sorcerers in tribes would only be 6th-7th level. That's only 3rd level spells and makes for a CR 12 monster. Not much, really, because by the time you would think of throwing a tribe of Frost Giants at PCs, they'd probably have at least 5th-level spells/10th level casters.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    It gets worse when you reach the point where the class levels exceed the CR.
    The CR system works better when used with a dose of common sense. When you exceed the CR, start counting class levels as associated.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

It does make sense to a degree, but becomes a problem with higher HDs (the exact guideline is once non-associated class levels exceed HD, they are considered associated). Basically, it works out fine for Minotaurs or Ogres or such; an Ogre Sorcerer 4 is in no ways CR 7, but he does make for a fine CR 5 encounter though.

The problems start to mount up when you have creatures with a couple dozen HDs and thus they effectively have CR equal to Human Caster of equivalent level. Now, note this: They don't have much better offense than equivalent Human Caster. Their advantage is their durability, and the superchargedness of the Save DCs any HD-derived abilities they have. But they're beatable; just they can take more damage and have higher saves.

This is actually a very good thing with regards to BBEGs since they don't have much more offense than the PCs allowing the party to not-die immediately, but they do have much higher hardiness making for longer, more epic fights.

Non-associated levels work...to a degree. You'll have to judge for yourself at what point they are too strong (usually when they have higher level class abilities than the PCs), but generally it's workable.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    This is actually a very good thing with regards to BBEGs since they don't have much more offense than the PCs allowing the party to not-die immediately, but they do have much higher hardiness making for longer, more epic fights.
    Completely second this. if well managed, NALs just improve your game.

Or, as said, you can use them to take your vendetta on munchkin players.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.