New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default materal components

am i the only one who still makes wizards use them?

please PEACH my homebrew
    The Essence Seeker

I am a

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A Chaotic Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-17
    Constitution-13
    Intelligence-19
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: materal components

We have never worried about them in any game I was in, with the exception of expensive ones like diamond dust. It generally wouldn't have made a difference anyway, I haven't seen many casters without component pouches.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

If you're talking about making your wizards list every single thing they have in their spell component pouches, then... yes.

If a caster has a couple of component pouches, and makes sure to write down any other expensive components (i.e., those not covered by Eschew Materials), then I don't worry about it.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-08-07 at 06:09 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4

If it costs money, yes. If not, no. Spell Component pouches are wonderful things.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-08-07 at 06:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Simply use them as the rules are written, or actually care about the exact components a caster has on hand? Most people seem to play it the way the books have it, which trivializes most components: if you have (1) a spell component pouch and (2) at least one free hand to fiddle with said pouch you can cast your spell. Focuses and costly components are the only things you need to pay any real attention to.

Almost nobody actually forces their casters to list out every individual packet of mundane spell reagents they carry. It's a bookkeeping nightmare that bloats caster character sheets even further. If you really want your casters to sometimes care about getting resupplied, a supply roll system is a pretty good solution- for example, make a note of every spell that is cast during a day. When the party sets up camp for the night, throw a d20 for each spell. If you roll low enough (say, less than or equal to how many times that spell was cast) then the pouch has run out of components for that spell. The character will have to make an appropriate skill check/buy a new pouch/spend a little time gathering components [it should pretty much never take more than a bit of time to find spider web for a Web spell, for example] before he can use the spell again.

6. - Top - End - #6

In the campaign setting i'm writing, various types of spell component are rare or non-existant in parts of the world. Turning some of them into items worth 1gp or so per spell. [Spell component pouches do exist, but only for certain components.]

Should be a fun way of limiting any party's spellcasting ability.. perhaps.

Anyway - In regular adventures, I just make sure they all have pouches.

7. - Top - End - #7

but see when you make them buy every component, and they don't plan ahead, and you give them weight. It nerfs casters into the ground, maybe thats why ive never thought wizards were over powered

please PEACH my homebrew
    The Essence Seeker

I am a

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-17
    Constitution-13
    Intelligence-19
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

But it "nerfs" them by making them not fun, rather than simply balanced.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by vampire2948 View Post
    In the campaign setting i'm writing, various types of spell component are rare or non-existant in parts of the world. Turning some of them into items worth 1gp or so per spell. [Spell component pouches do exist, but only for certain components.]
    Sounds like you'll be needing Excel, and lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nysisobli View Post
    but see when you make them buy every component, and they don't plan ahead, and you give them weight. It nerfs casters into the ground, maybe thats why ive never thought wizards were over powered
    Summon Material Component is either a cantrip or a first level spell.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-08-07 at 08:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Do you also make fighters buy whetstones to sharpen their swords? Perhaps individual parts to repair armor? What about laces for their boots? Individual items of clothing? Perhaps new horseshoes for their mounts? Bedding wears down too, also leather straps on those packs they carry.

You could get into an overly simulationist mode, but that sort of game really isn't what D&D is designed for, and most (if not all) of the [costless] material components are jokes that have been played too far.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

It doesn't nerf casters to have to waste time figuring out all that; it just makes it about as fun as playing D20 Accounting.

Hell, if I had somebody make me keep track of all the spell components I needed like that, I'd just build my character to cast Holy Word at the highest caster level possible.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I have a Harvard-trained accountant and two personal secretaries assisting me whenever *I* play. If you're too lazy to come prepared, why should the DM alter his interpretation of RAW?

13. - Top - End - #13

No, just take Eschew Materials.

And summon antimatter.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Yeah, but Eschew Materials is a terrible feat anyway, plus if they say the material components are worth around 1gp, some of them aren't going to work under the ruling of the spell.

Holy Word just requires you to be able to talk and you can break the GM's campaign on your divinely empowered knee.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I almost always pick up Eschew Materials. Use that spell component pouch or the relevant stuff, or wander around town looking like a carpenter, or cast spells after being thrown into the dungeon without worrying about gathering up body parts from a dozen different types of vermin.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I usually ignore them, both as player and DM. I make an issue of having the components once they get high enough levels that most costs are pocket change except for pretty expensive components. I probably should enforce it but I'm just rather lazy.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Far too lazy. I even use all material compenents that cost large amounts of gold cost just that. Gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I tend not to see much point in them, so I just assume that having a componant pouch is enough unless the componant has a price (I remember JellyPooga trying to make a houserule to make them more important and it ended up being really complicated due to the need to track individual componants.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

I let everyhting be done wit h spell compnant pounchs.
    I consider most matrails to be another way of saying have a hand free, but mostly just fluff.

when i play a caster I always 2 Spell companat pouchs. just incase the DM decides one 'runs out'.
    From nopw on I'm going to specipy that my spare is strappecd the the inside off my thigh.
    If it's found there then...
    Well they always said elves got off on weird things...
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

They make good colour, but I don't see the point in tracking them. When my character pulls out a pebble you can be damn sure she means business though :)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Except for ones with a listed price a Spell Components pouch is fine. At least until the Caster is immobilised, grappled or otherwise unable to reach them. That's where Eschew Materials earns it's keep. Without it if your Wizard is separated form his stuff and all your Spell Mastery spells need an Owlbear's tongue or a dandelion stalk, you're just as screwed as everyone else. Hence why I always take it just in case.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

am I the only one who still makes wizards use them?
    Yes. Most material components no more than a collection of geek jokes and literary references. Anything which can be pulled from a material component pouch is flavour text. Pay the required GP & XP costs for the big ticket stuff and fluff the components as you will.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-08-09 at 06:02 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

The reason i do it, is its much easier to monitor the spells your wizard uses, if you don't want spells in your game. Without saying no. you can't have that core spell

please PEACH my homebrew
    The Essence Seeker

I am a

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-17
    Constitution-13
    Intelligence-19
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I'd have an easier time using material components if they weren't so darned silly. Literary references are fun, but not as the part of the rules. And some of them are simply headdesk-worthy, like a "tiny replica of an archery target" for True Srtike.
    Material components for spells are good idea though, and it's been done better in some systems - like in WFRPG where you don't need components for spells, but having them makes it easier to cast. I'm also fine with more serious, strong spells using expensive components.
    On a side note, I remember that at least one of the authors of War of The Spider Queen series was a real stickler about material components - every time the protagonist wizard cast a spell, there was a description of him throwing around, holding, etc. the components. And when his puch was taken away from him, he could only shoot magic missles around.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Spell components are a bad joke. To scry you hook up lemons via copper wire to a specially coated mirror making a magic television. Fireball has you actually making a small amount of gunpowder and Acid Arrow forces you to quickly make a small acid covered dart. There has to be more.

Its always miffed me how a wizard can pack around a bag of bat **** and still have a social circle.

Every caster is given Eschew Materials as a bonus feat in our games. Its saves a lot of grief and I flinch less.
    My Star Fox Clone:
    f1l.blogspot.com - A WIP and in dire need of music

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The reason i do it, is its much easier to monitor the spells your wizard uses, if you don't want spells in your game. Without saying no. you can't have that core spell
    So you're trying to say that passive aggression is a better means than confronting the problem directly... only you aren't. "You can't find that spell component" is a slap in the face compared to "you can't have that spell". One presumes the wizard already wasted a "free slot" or money scribing the spell into their book only to have you prevent them from ever using it, the other keeps them from wasting their time.

27. - Top - End - #27

My DM just assumes that if you have a material component pouch, you have all the components without a price.
    Beautiful avatar by Mr_Saturn
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    ...I think that counts as your own Crowning Moment of Awesome, WP.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovely avatar of an NPC in Camp Half-Blood of mine by Crimson Angel:
    Thanks to Green Bean for my Spheal avatar.

Also thanks to VT for awarding me with a VT monster competition award.

Four internets and a cookie!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

It turns wizards into accounting homework. Some people actually like accounting homework. It's not necessarily a fix.

I go with "If your material component costs nothing and you have your pouch, you're fine; you only have to keep track of M components if they have a price."

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The problem with requiring material components is that they have absolutely no relationship to how powerful a spell is. They are pure fluff, nothing more. Many of the most powerful spells, like Enervation, Time Stop, the whole Suggestion/Charm/Dominate lines, the most powerful illusions, and so on have no material components, while piddly spells (including many damage spells that are painfully weak already) do have them.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

30. - Top - End - #30

I've told everyone I'd be a hardass about Material Components if they ever played a Wizard because I don't want anyone to play a Wizard.

Still hoping to God they never call my bluff. >_>