New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5]How do wizards research/craft a new spell?

I'm playing in a campaign that is mostly downtime, a lot of master/apprentice rping, and my conjurer would like to start working on new spells. I've done a little looking, but there doesn't seem to be much of a system in place for costs/time etc. Has anyone home brewed something, or can anyone point me at a system with some crunch for my wizard with ideas running over?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [D&D 3.5]How do wizards research/craft a new spell?

Page 198 of the Dungeon Master's Guide has some spell creation guidelines. There's a bit more to it, but it would basically cost 1,000gp a week and require a number of weeks equal to the spell's level.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: [D&D 3.5]How do wizards research/craft a new spell?

I don't remember where it is, but somewhere in core the standard rule is one week and 1,000gp per level of the spell. Then you make a spellcraft check, and if you succeed, and the DM is okay with the spell, you can learn it (but it still takes up a spell known slot if you have a limited spells known list, otherwise it just goes in your book). Spell research requires access to an arcane library, which is usually handwaved if you can find a friendly wizard's guild. If you want to buy one yourself, it's at least 10,000gp to find all the books in a big city, and you'll need something big to carry them in.

Ack, ninja'd with a page number.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2009-08-08 at 05:59 PM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness