New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Default Re: Worst "VS" Arguments You've Heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Wolverine vs. Darth Vader

People didn't seem to get the fact that the Dark Lord of the Sith was gong to tear Logan apart.
    So, that raises the question. Does Wolverine regenerate brain cells?
    I mean, technically the only way to kill Wolverine is first remove all adamantine, then practically nuke him, but if he doesn't regenerate brain cells than force choking him could technically kill him.
    But that is a bit of a freaky scenario.

2. - Top - End - #92

I've also heard "The Doctor wins because he can Time Travel before his opponent exists and pre-win."

I really wish I remembered who he was up against.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Night Surgeon View Post
    That is implying that Holy Terra will ever fall, and is a clear example of Heresy. Shoot that man Commisar!Is a cool notion though
    All things are possible in the Emperor! I go now to meet him..*blam*

:glad you like it.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendish_Dire_Moose View Post
    So, that raises the question. Does Wolverine regenerate brain cells?
    I mean, technically the only way to kill Wolverine is first remove all adamantine, then practically nuke him, but if he doesn't regenerate brain cells than force choking him could technically kill him.
    But that is a bit of a freaky scenario.
    He can regenerate his entire body, memories included, from a single cell.

A single cell.

You bet your ass he can regenerate brain cells.

God I hate Wolverine.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

More like he pulls them out of his ass.

Goddamned Wolverine!

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'm under the impression the writers have been trying to tone that down. If nothing else, at least the movie writers are: Movie Wolverine ends up with memory loss after having to regenerate his brain.

Now, a sensible Achilles' Heel for Wolverine would have been "unable to regenerate brain cells" - with an adamantine skull, he'd still be fairly invincible, but it would give people a chance of actually harming him. Oh well.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-08-12 at 08:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

7. - Top - End - #97

First and last VS debate, someone claimed that Star Trek would beat anything Star Wars could serve up because there was one line in a Star Trek: TNG episode where Worf stated that an opposing vessels laser batteries could fire themselves dry and not even puncture the Enterprise's navigational shielding.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    He can regenerate his entire body, memories included, from a single cell.

A single cell.

You bet your ass he can regenerate brain cells.

God I hate Wolverine.
    Wolverine V.S. WH 40k. All of it. I'd love to see him fight a Gene Stealer.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

One argument I hate is when people argue that things like WH40k or Star Wars automatically win because of nonsensically high "official" figures on things like weapon power or manpower (and don't get me started on people who think stardestroyer.net is a useful, impartial source). I mean, maybe this data is accurate to the source material, but a) saying one turbolaser bolt can ignite an atmosphere and therefore Star Wars auto-wins is boring and takes the fun out of a vs. debate and b) it makes no damn sense in the first place.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    One argument I hate is when people argue that things like WH40k or Star Wars automatically win because of nonsensically high "official" figures on things like weapon power or manpower (and don't get me started on people who think stardestroyer.net is a useful, impartial source). I mean, maybe this data is accurate to the source material, but a) saying one turbolaser bolt can ignite an atmosphere and therefore Star Wars auto-wins is boring and takes the fun out of a vs. debate and b) it makes no damn sense in the first place.
    I like both of those, and I have to agree, if this was so it would do that IN SETTING, but it doesn't, so it's obviously not intended to do as such.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

'Dat stoopid Wolverine kant stand up to da' Waaargh!!!!!

Seriously, though, I'd love to see Wolverine vs. Necrons.

Wolverine: *Gets blasted, regenerates, and cuts down a bunch of Necrons.*

Necrons: *Regenerate, blast Wolverine*

*Rinse and repeat, forever and ever and ever*

The worst argument I've ever heard is that Darth Vader (while in the suit) could beat Yoda in his prime, because "His suit's made of metal, and Vader would just choke him to death".

Of course, in the previously mentioned Vader vs. Voldemort thing... at first, I thought "Voldemort! Easy!", but then I remembered that Vader can lift a finger and get rid of Voldie's wand... but then I also remembered that Voldemort is harder to permanently kill than bleeding Wolverine thanks to all his plot-device items of power...
    So I call draw. Either that, or use science to create them and have them duke it out. Whoever wins dominates humanity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Whoever wins dominates humanity.
    Voldemort's most fearsome weapon is still a magic pistol shot.

I chuckle at VS arguments in which nobody has apparently read the source material for both combatants - so nobody really grasps the subject enough to compare. Oops!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Banned

'Dat stoopid Wolverine kant stand up to da' Waaargh!!!!!

Seriously, though, I'd love to see Wolverine vs. Necrons.

Wolverine: *Gets blasted, regenerates, and cuts down a bunch of Necrons.*

Necrons: *Regenerate, blast Wolverine*

*Rinse and repeat, forever and ever and ever*

The worst argument I've ever heard is that Darth Vader (while in the suit) could beat Yoda in his prime, because "His suit's made of metal, and Vader would just choke him to death".

Of course, in the previously mentioned Vader vs. Voldemort thing... at first, I thought "Voldemort! Easy!", but then I remembered that Vader can lift a finger and get rid of Voldie's wand... but then I also remembered that Voldemort is harder to permanently kill than bleeding Wolverine thanks to all his plot-device items of power...
    So I call draw. Either that, or use science to create them and have them duke it out. Whoever wins dominates humanity.
    That's dangerously awesome territory there.

Also, Darth beats Voldy. As I recall Vody was killed by a teenager using a rudimentary spell, if I remember correctly. Also, it shouldn't be too hard for DARTH EFFING VADER to hunt down and destroy MAGIC items, and a snake.

Also, I'm guessing cannonically force choke can't kill another Jedi. Otherwise Palpatine wouldn't have any opposition. I've read very little of the novella.
    Last edited by Fiendish_Dire_Moose; 2009-08-12 at 09:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

That's dangerously awesome territory there.

Also, Darth beats Voldy. As I recall Vody was killed by a teenager using a rudimentary spell, if I remember correctly.

Also, I'm guessing cannonically force choke can't kill another Jedi. Otherwise Palpatine wouldn't have any opposition. I've read very little of the novella.
    Darth might not beat Voldie, as Voldie can say... no, wait, think two words and kill him. No save. He was killed by plot.

And force choking someone who has a) the Force and b) an easily throwable lightsaber is a bad idea.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

Darth might not beat Voldie, as Voldie can say... no, wait, think two words and kill him. No save. He was killed by plot.

And force choking someone who has a) the Force and b) an easily throwable lightsaber is a bad idea.
    See, that's what I hated about Harry Potter. A guy who can think you dead, is beaten by a kid who can't tie his own shoes. That there alone is proof that Darth wins. Voldy apparently isn't as powerful as he appears. Otherwise Harry wouldn't have had a chance. Not to mention being a Sith Darth must have insane bonuses against save or die spells.

As far as choking a Jedi goes: Strangle yourself, see how easy it is to concentrate enough mental focus to tie your shoes while you do it. Trust me, it ends with you having untied shoe laces. None of that preparing BS either, exhale then tie the knot. To give even a better scale, put a knot in your laces first, then undo that knot. All while needing to inhale but being unable to.
    Being able to hold your breath is cheating by the way.
    Last edited by Fiendish_Dire_Moose; 2009-08-12 at 09:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

But Harry had this power and self resurrection only to fight voldy. I still think Darth wins but Voldy's no push over
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    But Harry had this power and self resurrection only to fight voldy. I still think Darth wins but Voldy's no push over
    Definitely not, but it's a sure fire win. If Voldy can't think Harry dead, than Darth is going to massacre him. Seriously, as soon as that saber comes flying at his face, I imagine Voldy thinking, "And all this time, all these years, I never came up with a spell to remove poop from my pants."

18. - Top - End - #108

Why are they nonsensical? Because you say so?

40k and Star Wars don't automatically win against everything. They're each galactic-scale civilizations with the capacity for very rapid pan-galactic travel, industrial capacity to match the control of a galaxy or most of it, and planet-destroying weapons. This puts them far beyond the reach of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and so forth, but they would each get utterly curbstomped by the Xeelee, the Culture (a single Culture mind inhabiting one of their warships would make mincemeat of the Galactic Empire in much the same way a Star Destroyer would do to the Federation), and other high-tier science fiction civilizations. If you want to complain about it being boring, then bring up a vs. scenario that's more evenly matched; changing the Federation vs. the Galactic Empire or the Imperium of Man vs the Twelve Colonies to the point where it's an even contest requires so much twisting that you might as well be making up whole new opponents.

By the by, I'm interested to hear who claimed that one turbolaser bolt would ignite an atmosphere.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2009-08-12 at 09:57 AM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

George 'I can not tell a lie' Washing Vs. Abraham 'Honest Abe' Lincoln in a no holds barred Tall Tale Contest!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    George 'I can not tell a lie' Washing Vs. Abraham 'Honest Abe' Lincoln in a no holds barred Tall Tale Contest!
    Dexter's Lab brother man. Dexter's Lab.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Renegade Paladin: People exaggerating www.stardestroyer.net 's already exaggerated energy figures, mostly.

And I don't bring up "The Federation vs. the Galactic Empire". Honestly I guess my real issue is with people who do that in the first place. A more fun one would be "Kirk or Picard's Enterprise vs. a random Star Destroyer", or even the Death Star if you add a fleet of redshirts on the Federation side, because then it becomes a matter of brains (and instant teleportation) vs. brawn.

On Voldemort: remember, Harry won their last fight because of Plot Wand, and possibly because Voldemort was freaked out about the kid being literally impossible to kill. Doesn't excuse his general Evil Overlord incompetence for the previous 6.9 novels, though.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-08-12 at 10:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

On Voldemort: remember, Harry won their last fight because of Plot Wand, and possibly because Voldemort was freaked out about the kid being literally impossible to kill. Doesn't excuse his general Evil Overlord incompetence for the previous 6.9 novels, though.
    A plot device is still proof of the weakness. It's canon.

As far as Feds vs Stormtroopers goes, I always respond with, "Why not be more clever? Why not, Star Trek Space feds vs Metroid Space Fed?"

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Dexter's Lab brother man. Dexter's Lab.
    Is it bad, that I remember that episode quite clearly?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

Is it bad, that I remember that episode quite clearly?
    No, very no. In fact, it's a good thing.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Blame George Lucas' constant changing of his story.

"Vader was twice as strong as the Emperor before suit. After suit the loss of his limbs left him at only 80%"

"Vader was always stronger than the Emperor. However, the pent up feelings of resentment left him unable to best his master."

"Vader never quite made it to become more powerful than Palpatine, he may have if he continued his training under him. Unfortunately we all know what happened at the end of Revenge of the Sith."

MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

I'd love to see him fight a Gene Stealer.
    Actually he would win that one.

Melee Combatant vs Melee Combatant.

Fighter 1 has a metal skeleton that cannot be destroyed and the power to regenerate.

Fighter 2 has.. Claws? I guess.

Better match-up: Wolverine vs Hive Tyrant.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Urgh, anything involving Samus. I've heard a lot of arguments on this site and others that state that Samus could win against seemingly any opponant.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I blame that on the fact that planets are constantly exploding in her presence, canonically.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

List of 'always wins' characters: Chuck Norris, Mr. T, Samus, Wolverine, Squirrel Girl and Batman... Did I miss any?

Also, I'm not sure if I'd rather see them fight or see a 'The Justice Friends' style sitcom with them.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TengYt View Post
    Urgh, anything involving Samus. I've heard a lot of arguments on this site and others that state that Samus could win against seemingly any opponant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama
    I blame that on the fact that planets are constantly exploding in her presence, canonically.
    That and her odd ability to launch multiple homing missiles from a gun big enough to carry, her suit's ability to actually break down and reconstruct combustibles into new concoctions that border super science, and that fact that she can contort into a small ball that probably has a loose tie in with her possibly making love like a goddess!

Seriously though, Robocop rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    List of 'always wins' characters: Chuck Norris, Mr. T, Samus, Wolverine, Squirrel Girl and Batman... Did I miss any?

Also, I'm not sure if I'd rather see them fight or see a 'The Justice Friends' style sitcom with them.
    River Tam.
    Last edited by Fiendish_Dire_Moose; 2009-08-12 at 10:48 AM.