Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default MnM Build Help: The Wounded Soldier

OK once again I am making a power level 10 hero for mutants and masterminds 2e. This time the idea for the guy is that he is a failed U.S. Super Soldier program test subject.

As subject I gained boosted ability skills and regeneration to the superhuman level but they could not control when to use it and when not to. There cells regrew from fights and what not and soon they died from cell's that regenerated to much and could not replicate anymore. Subject II had a higher increase in ability and could to a limited degree control when the power would happen but had the same regrowth problem and died 2 years into the program.

Subject III (The Hero) has the greatest increase in power and in control but has to a limited existent the same problem as his predecessors. If he uses his power at all depending on how long he suffers when the boost ends from nausea to death. After using his power for 5 minutes he has to make a con check every round afterword to keep the boosted ability and after the power ends he has to make a check equal to his power level times two or die( or some thing like 15 plus rounds spent after 5 minutes).

So how would you stat this guy? I would think just boosting boost ranks to like 20 when it cost 5 points per rank and also see if its ok with the GM if I can get some powers like leaping or some thing else combat related. Witch leaves me with 50 points for stats skills and feats.

OR

I could use the transformation with some crazy minuses to the use of it and pump its ranks.

Any hints/help? Thanks in advance

Edit: I only have the core book but any source is ok
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2009-08-12 at 11:23 AM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MnM Build Help: The Wounded Soldier

Gah. Boost. Hate Boost as a power except in the most limited circumstances.

I would suggest putting the superpowers into an active Container with a Side-Effect flaw.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I am sorry but I don't follow

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Basically, create an "Alternate Form" that you can keep for only some time before requiring a Side-Effect. The Side-Effect would be a -1 Flaw at best, due to being on an Alternate Form.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok that makes sense, I was just confused about the active Container part.

Any other suggestions?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Active Container is a term from Ultimate Power. Container is the power structure that Alternate Form is based on.
    I use black for sarcasm.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

To me it sounds like, mechanically, Boost would be OK.

Alternatively, you could just give him the Regenerate power and make it sustained. This would reflect the fact that he seems to need to focus on it to make it happen.

I would then link it to something like a Con Drain, or something similar. Just make it self only, and set an appropriate save (maybe Fort?) to it.

This set up would:
    Make Subject III force himself to regenerate.
    Whenever he activates his regenerate ability, he has to succeed a save to prevent something bad from happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Though, this is obviously a world in which Speak with Dead trivializes most murder investigations. It's not "Well, after spending an exhaustive amount of time searching the crime scene for evidence, I seem to have found some bat guano and- yadda yadda" it's "Steve did it. Go scry Steve"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

If we are talking about ability boosts and regeneration (and stuff like leaping, increased saves, etc) make it an Alternate Form with the Side Effect Flaw.

If you want to make it a limited duration, apply Fades (-1) and Total Fade (+1) for a net cost of +0 (seeing as you end up with a loss of power, you might see if your GM will float you some Drawback Points to get the Slow Fade power Feat to extend your power's duration).

Otherwise, Flaw all your powers and stat boosts with Sustained Duration (-1 to cost for stats, saves, and regen) which will make your AF a Sustained Duration power. You get your bell rung and lose your concentration; the power boost turns off. If you activate it again, you get hit with the Side Effect again.
    YOUNG GOAT!

Get out of my mind
    My love for you is way out of line
    Better run, GOAT
    You're much to young, GOAT!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    Subject III (The Hero) has the greatest increase in power and in control but has to a limited existent the same problem as his predecessors. If he uses his power at all depending on how long he suffers when the boost ends from nausea to death. After using his power for 5 minutes he has to make a con check every round afterword to keep the boosted ability and after the power ends he has to make a check equal to his power level times two or die( or some thing like 15 plus rounds spent after 5 minutes).
    The save-or-die check is probably a drawback, since 5 min. is just too long for a fight (when you will likely want to use it).

You will get a power that doesn't cost much, I guess.
    It's better if your boost doesn't break the PL.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The draw back is even if he used it for 6 seconds (A round) he would be Sickened, 3 rounds maybe Nauseated, 6 Sickend and Fatigued, 12 Nauseated and Exhausted, 24 Unconscious, 50 Dying. Its is spose to get worse the longer he uses it. Using it with less then 2 hours cool down in batween fights counts towards his total time used.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    The draw back is even if he used it for 6 seconds (A round) he would be Sickened, 3 rounds maybe Nauseated, 6 Sickend and Fatigued, 12 Nauseated and Exhausted, 24 Unconscious, 50 Dying. Its is spose to get worse the longer he uses it. Using it with less then 2 hours cool down in batween fights counts towards his total time used.
    Try to get a Unreliable and Side-effect that work at the same time.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were looking for. Is the 'damage' that the regeneration does to Soldier III permanent, or is it something that is later sloughed off after he quits using the ability?

Sustained still definitely sounds like the way you want to run the regeneration itself.

I change my input from being a drain con power to being a complication of the same power linked to the regeneration. That way you're not paying for a power the power that hurts you, but gaining a few pp for it.

My opinion may change with your clarification.

If it is something that he can sloughed off, and you want it to work as you mentioned (fatigue symptoms) it will become a little more complicated, but not impossible.

First you need to decide whether you want the character to have a save vs the effect (duh)...

Then have the regeneration linked to the Nauseated power as a complication. Have a complication linked to the Nauseated that says if the character reaches a certain state inflicted by Nauseated he begins experiencing Fatigue power effects. Another complication (I told you it would be more complicated) this time linked to Fatigue where he either starts taking damage of some kind, ability damage or just needs to make toughness checks against a DC you designate, when he reaches a certain state of Fatigue (likely still suffering from Nausea as well), or insert-your-choice-of-bad-things-here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Though, this is obviously a world in which Speak with Dead trivializes most murder investigations. It's not "Well, after spending an exhaustive amount of time searching the crime scene for evidence, I seem to have found some bat guano and- yadda yadda" it's "Steve did it. Go scry Steve"