Watchtower Recruiting

Starring:

Finvarra (Talansidhe Warlock Paladin), played by Mhvaughan

Hans (Doppleganger Chaos Mage), played by Tacitus

Justice (Warforged Constructor Factotum), played by Gnorman

Kyrill Medvedyev (Half Orc Werebear Barbarian)#2, played by Mhvaughan

Levi Dale (Sniper/Society Mind), played by Tacitus

Oldqua O'rodir (Ghost Pious Templar Paladin), played by Jack_Simth

Starry-Eyes (Halfling Ranger Green Star Adept), played by The Vorpal Tribble

Xavier (Githzerai Shadow Sun Monk), played by josh13905

Retired Characters:

Calypso (half-nymph druid-shaper), played by Monty; player MIA

Celestica (Elven Paladin Monk), played by MikelaC1 (Fluff); player retired, but Celestica is still alive, training ranger units for Luna Citadel

Dalbar, played by Obscurejones; player retired, but Dalbar is still alive and well, serving Luna Citadel in a recon unit

Elric Krossos, played by Mhvaughan; died in glorious combat against a corrupted nature spirit (heavily modified chichimec)

Erfel Fencallad (Gnomish Sorcerous Bardic War Weaver), played by Douglas (and earlier by Lordsmoothe); players retired

Erfel Fencallad (Gnome Bard-Binder; earlier version), played by Lordsmoothe (and since recreated by Douglas); player retired

Kelurn Sanora (Human Warblade-Swordsage), played by Douglas; player retired

Kettenbar Sunson, played by Obscurejones; died in glorious combat against a corrupted nature spirit (heavily modified chichimec)

Renatus (Dragon-kin Sublime Psychic Warrior), played by Duke of URL; player retired

Sefu Kek (Sorcerous Marrulurk Assassin), played by Sinenomine; player MIA

Shek (Fire Elf Initiator), played by Archerpowr; player retired

Ugrot (Goliath Frenzied Berserker), played by Realms of Chaos; player retired

Watchtower Organization
    Spoiler
    Show

Leadership
    Lemion Shwalenst末Shieldmarshal; Artillerist

Team 1
    Levi Dale末First Sword; Artillerist; First Team Leader; Communication
    Finvarra末Second Sword; Artillerist; Scout
    Oldqua末Second Sword; Skirmisher; Medic, Scout
    Starry-Eyes末Second Sword; Skirmisher; Scout
    Xavier末Second Sword; Infiltration; Scout

Team 2
    Kyrill Medvedyev末First Sword; Front Liner; Second Team Leader; Tracker
    Justice末Second Sword; Artillerist;
    Hans末Second Sword; Artillerist; Infiltration
    Kurukshetra末Second Sword; Frontliner;

watchmen that still need assigned secondary responsibilities: justice; kurukshetra

still need: traps; another medic

Rank Structure
    Enlisted:
    E-1; ****; Private
    E-2; Second Sword; Lance Corporal
    E-3; First Sword; Corporal
    E-4; Bronze Lance; Sergeant
    E-5; Silver ; Staff Sergeant
    E-6; Golden; Master Sergeant
    Commisioned:
    O-1; ****; Second Lieutenant
    O-2; ****; First Lieutenant
    O-3; ****; Captain
    O-4; Shield Marshal; Colonel
    O-5; ****; General
    O-6; ****; Arch Council

My houserules
    Spoiler
    Show

if you have questions, comments, complaints, or ideas, let me know. if you communicate with me, i'll have a better idea of what you need, or what i can do for you. be respectful, and i'll be respectful in turn, even if you are disagreeing with me. these houserules change all of the time. if i find another one i like, or you point me toward one, or we agree that i need to change one of them, i will. i will post it in-game (oocly), when i change a rule, so you all know to look here.

aaron's rule of participation末
    1末roleplay. if you are here for the battles only, you're in the wrong thread. i have a basic storyline planned, but it is open, and i can't push the story ahead if you aren't willing to take some initiative. that said, there will be a lot of battles, but there can be as much exploration and rp as you guys want too. so long as you'll do it.
    2末post regularly. by that, i mean at least a few times a week. i am not (yet) going to come up with a hard and fast limit, but if you haven't posted for more than two weeks without giving me some kind of notice, you are auto out, and your character will be sent directly to carceri. i'd love to make exceptions in some cases, but i've been making too many. so, two weeks is the cut off.
    3末be adult enough to give me a heads up before slinking off for whatever reason (boredom, school, etc). it's not going to hurt my feelings if you want out, but have the stones to let me know so that the rest of us aren't left wondering.
    4末be adult enough to tell me when you are bored, frustrated, unsatisfied. i had a girlfriend once, and we never argued or had any other problems. ever. i even bragged about it because it was so nice to be in such a pleasant relationship. then one day (9 months after we separated amiably) she broke down and admitted that she always felt unappreciated, and that she always resented it. a little bit of communication could have fixed that to begin with. if you have an issue with the game, TELL ME! i'd much rather know and be able to fix it, then have you disappear and hope we don't run into each other on the forums.
    5末give a considerable commitment to the game. i've been running this since 2008 when l'smoothe left, and it has had its slow moments, but it has been fun too. the more you commit (participate), the easier it will be for me to make sure that it is fun for you.

Ability Score and Feat Acquisition-- this will be similar to the pathfinder game, in that you gain feats based off of hit dice at 1st level, and then every odd level afterward (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc); ability score improvements will condense to once every 3 levels (same level that feat acquisition used to hold). so you guys get another ability score increase (had one at 4th and 8th levels; now have one at 3rd, 6th, and 9th levels).

Aid Another-- characters with similar casting types can help each other out on caster level checks just as if they were skill checks (with a DC 10 caster level check from the helper). thus, two warlocks could aid another warlock in making an invoker check, but could not also help the party wizard unless they also had arcane caster levels.

Badasses-- http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118689

yeah, so i really liked hadrian_emrys' badass substitution level idea and am implementing it here. there are a few changes to the rules though.
    Spoiler
    Show

my BADASS houserules
    Substitution Level Gain: If you think that someone did something truly awesome, nominate him or her for a badass level. note that epically extreme acts of daring are not the only kinds of badassedness; ingenious ambushes set up by a badass rogue, uberly resourceful spell applications, and other feats of player cunning or creativity, if properly badassed, are all candidates. the dm reserves the right to veto a character from getting a badassed level if he deems it necessary. note also that unlike the various rp awards, even npc's can be nominated for this reward.

These levels are earned retroactively, never along with the level that you are about to earn unless you already have as many badass levels as you do class levels, and always from the lowest level available. Thus, an 8th level fighter that earns a badass level would apply it to his 1st hit dice, or 1st fighter level. If he later gained another badass level, it would apply to his 2nd hit dice, or 2nd fighter level.
    weapon and armor proficiency: gain one additional weapon group proficiency and armor group proficiency that you do not have. If you have all of the basic groups (simple and martial weapons; light, medium, and heavy armor; small, heavy, buckler, and tower shields), then you can gain one exotic weapon and exotic armor proficiency feat per badass level.
    A Crowning Moment of Awesome: CMA pool points can only be spent as a free act once per turn in order to treat one dice roll (regardless of kind) as naturally maximized (natural 20 on a d20, natural 8 on a d8, etc). Unspent points disappear after 24 hours (this allows points to be spent in social situations even if dice rolls have not yet come into play).
    Badass Feat Changes
    Back to Back Badasses: prerequisite: 15 hit dice, 2 badass levels, badass speech; you can spend a CMA point so that all adjacent allies gain one maximized dice roll of their choice this turn as if they had spent a CMA point with the Crowning Moment of Awesome ability.
    Badass Roast: prerequisites: 5 hit dice; spend one CMA point in order to treat the next d20 roll made by a foe within 30 feet of you as a natural 1. if this foe does not make a d20 roll within one turn, your spent point is wasted and nothing happens.
    Total Badass: prerequisites: 15 hit dice, 2 badass levels, badass roast; spend a CMA point to make all adjacent enemies treat their next d20 roll as a natural 1. Those that doe not make a d20 roll within 1 round are not effected by this use.
    Shneekey's Feats in post #13
    Extreme Badass: subsumed into badass recovery.
    Bring it on: prerequisites: 15 hit dice, 2 badass levels, eloquent description
    Eleoquent Description: prerequisites: 5 hit dice.

feel free to homebrew other badass feats with my approval.

Class Fixes-- same as feat fixes. let me know if you have others that need fixing, or different ideas than what is already here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Monk: full bab (or you can try my homebrewed celox; check sig)

Sorcerer: see Sorcerer's Lament below; it is complicated enough that it deserved its own houserule heading.

Damage Thresholds--
    the more a creature is injured, the harder it is for it to fight or act. injured creatures take penalties to attack and damage rolls, saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, and movement.

creatures that are immune to critical hits, immune to pain, or are under the effect of a barbarian rage or equivalent are immune to injury penalties.

uninjured貿ull hit points: no penalties

hurt75% hit points: -1/-5 feet

wounded50% hit points: -2/-10 feet

mauled25% hit points: -4/-15 feet

these penalties disappear as soon as the damage is healed.

Diplomacy--i use a variant of the rich burlew rules, but i do throw in fairly substantial circumstance bonuses/penalties at times.

Favored Classes-- this is an idea swiped from the intrepid rathgar (a fellow playgrounder); the favored class feature of the different races is severely underplayed. from now on, in addition to the rules already in place, for each level taken in a race's favored class, a character gains an additional 2 hit points and 2 skill points. if it is the character's first level, they instead gain an additional 3 hit points and 3 skill points. for classes with a favored class listed as "any", the character's first class counts as their favored class (gestalt characters characters can pick one of their two first classes if they fall into this category).

Feat Fixes-- this will take a while to compile (cool, i... nevermind...), but i will attempt to post all of my houserule fixes here. if you have one that you want to bring up, it'll probably get put on the wall a lot sooner, so don't hesitate. here they are:
    Spoiler
    Show

dodge: so, dodge, epitome of a useless feat. now, you get +1/3 levels. max +6 at 18th (then you can take epic dodge). or, you can scrap that as a swift act in order to get half the dodge bonus to all foes (rounded down). can use swift act to change it back and forth. now it is a little better.

item creation feats: i am thinking of making one feat for psionic creation, one for divine magic creation, one for arcane magic, etc. haven't done it yet, but... if and when i get rid of all of those feats, characters that had them will be able to pick new feats as if they were retraining.

metamagic/psionics/etc feats: this is in the works, but i am probably going to scuttle the whole feat system. i am thinking of making it a function of spellcraft and its cousins. tell me if you have better ideas. if, and when--yeah, same as above.

sacred vow: gives +1 perfection bonus to will saves as well. waste of a feat otherwise; always made me feel icky when i had to take it to get vop, and a holy vow should make no one feel icky.

snatch/improved grab: both the feat and the ability have the exact same effect, and anything that snatch can do, that is not explicitly stated in improved grab, still works.

weapon finesse (and intuitive attack, etc): at +11 bab, these feats allow you to add the appropriate ability mod to damage instead of strength in melee combat

Gestalt Progression--i don't care if you have levels in the same class on both sides of the progression, so long as you don't have two of the same abilities at the same level...
    example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1--LA 1//wizard 1
    2--LA 2//wizard 2
    3--rogue 1//wizard 3
    4--rogue 2//wizard 4
    5--rogue 3//wizard 5
    6--wizard 6//sandshaper 1 (with spell progression dead level)
    7--rogue 4//sandshaper 2
    etc...

...and as long as you don't end up with more levels worth of ability progression than you normally would in one of the classes by that level.
    example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    you take two classes that would progress sneak attack, one that ends up with 9d6 at its final level, and the other that ends up with 5d6 at its final level, because there are some sneak attack dead levels. You can stack them so that the higher sneak attack class fills in the one with the dead levels, but you could not do it so that you have 9d6 sneak attack by 10th level, or 15d6 sneak attack by 20th.

clear enough?

Initiative-- Initiative末Aggressive Action
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119745

Spoiler
    Show
    Figure out the initiative order normally.

If you have a higher initiative order than another individual, you receive a +1 aggressive bonus to AC, attacks, caster level checks, opposed ability or skill checks, saving throws, and saving throw DCs against that individual.

If your initiative score is 10 point higher than the individual, your aggressive bonus to these rolls becomes +2, and for every further 10 points by which you beat the individual's initiative score, your aggressive bonus vs that foe is increased by another +1.

Swift Bonuses: A swift bonus does not stack with itself. An individual loses any swift bonuses that it might have during any round in which it is flat-footed, stunned, or helpless.

Once initiative order is figured, one party or the other takes its turn until all of its members capable of taking a turn have, and another party goes. The dm is the one that decides which party goes first in an encounter, though generally the party with the lowest initiative score goes last.

Within a party though, whoever posts first acts first; initiative will not actually determine who goes first within a party.

Effects that would normally terminate during or after your turn in a round terminate instead at the end of that specific round. Note that this may increase the duration of some effects by as much as almost an entire round.

Delayed Actions: Individuals can delay actions indefinitely while it is still their party's turn without taking a subsequent initiative penalty. However, once the party's turn is over and the dm declares that it is another party's turn, delaying individuals have lost their turn for the round (though immediate actions, AoOs, etc still apply normally).

Reading the thread and deciding that your character can't yet do anything and that you are going to wait for a few posts before making up your mind is the same as delaying an action; once you've read the thread, it is your turn. An individual that intends to delay needs to post this intention as soon as they decide on this course of action so as to make it clear to the others that they are not just absent from the computer (we don't want to have one individual delaying until the rest of the party acts while the others are delaying until he acts, and none of them are communicating their plans with each other).

Readied actions: Readied actions can allow an individual to take an action during another party's turn without actually changing his or her initiative score if the predetermined events of the readied action take place. But if nothing happens, that individual has lost a turn for the round (again, barring immediate actions, etc).

Specific Mechanic Fixes

Spoiler
    Show
    There will be certain feats, spells, etc that will need to be tweaked in order to work with this system. They will be added as they are brought up.

末white raven tactics: this maneuver still moves another creature's initiative count to your own -1. If the individual has already acted in the round, it can act again as if it hasn't acted. Immediately after the round in which this maneuver is used ends, that individual returns to its normal initiative count. If the individual hasn't acted yet during the round, that individual now acts permanently on your own initiative count -1, until it is again affected by an ability that changes its place in the initiative count.
    This makes WRT inherently more powerful, but it solves some of the problems that would otherwise come up trying to stick closer to the original intent.

Knowledge Uses-- consider yourselves empowered (remember that you can use them in situations other than combat, like diplomacy, tracking, etc):
    http://www.giantitp.com/articles/paB...ccDMQACfu.html

Level Adjustment Awards-- occasionally, as an xp award, you will lose one level of LA adjustment. what this means (as far as i have figured out) is that you generally just bump your level progression on that side down one and add another level at the top (highest hit dice).

Spoiler
    Show
    example:

1-LA 1/wizard 1
    2-LA 2/wizard 2
    3-fighter 1/wizard 3

would become:

1-LA 1/wizard 1
    2-fighter 1/wizard 2
    3-fighter 2/wizard 3

Linguistics-- similar to the knowledge uses ability above, this one is mostly on you guys to initiate. when speaking with others or reading someone else's writing, you can declare that you are making a special linguistics sense motive check or a speak language check in order to get any special information about the motives or origins behind the message. both of these rolls will receive a +1 competence bonus for each language that you know from that species' category (if you are reading the ancient writings of an illithid, and are fluent in three aberrant languages, you get a +3). these linguistics rolls can even be used when addressing a tongue with which you are not fluent, such as the ancient script on the dungeon walls, but you must know at least one language from that sub category. these rolls are part of the normal acts of listening, reading, or speaking, and in and of themselves do not constitute an action of any kind.

Lore-- any kind of knowledge check or lore check or anything else will be heavily ad hoc-ed as far as modifiers go, or just plain auto-succeed or auto-fail, if i think that there would be no reason for your character to have any info on the subject in question, or if i think that your character should not have gotten as far as he/she did without having known about the subject in question. tough stuff. i don't like the current, randomness of lore checks.

Magic Transparency--magic, psionics, and every other kind of 'magic' that is not specified as a (Su), (Sp), or (Ex) ability is going to be treated as spells for the purposes of dispelling, etc. i might have to post revisions to this in the future, but i'll warn ya.

Massive Damage--
    this replaces the current massive damage rules.

whenever a creature suffers more than 50% of its current hit points in one strike, they have suffered massive damage. they must make a successful fort save or be nauseated by the pain until at least 8 hit points are healed back. if the save succeeds, the creature is instead sickened for 1 round. the DC of the fort save equals the damage that was done to the creature. creatures that are immune to critical hits, immune to pain, or are under the effects of a barbarian rage or equivalent are immune to the effects of massive damage.

Natural Attacks-- a creature with natural attacks designates its primary weapon and if any others, its secondary weapons. primary weapons now gain iterive attacks as if they were wielded weapons. secondary weapons still get one extra, secondary attack each (except with various feats, etc), at a -5 penalty. note that under normal rules, creatures can already do this with a wielded weapon, but not with natural weapons for some reason...

reference thread:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107949

Polymorph Subschool-- using rich burlew's rules on giantitp.
    http://www.giantitp.com/articles/dC2...K8n5OjUm9.html
    http://www.giantitp.com/articles/Pbp...c7E82kEmo.html

Pure Devotion-- gain a +4 (only +3 in gestalt games) unnamed bonus to all saves. this is a free feat! there is a catch though. in order to qualify for this feat, you have to take 20 levels of a base class by 20th level. so, no LA adjusts, no prc's, no cherrypicking base classes like you're stealing cash from your passed-out-drunk roommate's wallet. pure 20/20 goodness. i used to not allow gestalt characters to qualify for this either, but what the hell. you only live once. however, in gestalt, you can only qualify for it once, even if you have two progressions that reach 20 levels by level 20.

RP Award--(idea stolen from count alucard) after every campaign, or whenever i decide to dole out xp, i will give a bonus award to the best roleplayers among the group. There will be two such awards, the players' choice and the dm's choice awards.

players' choice will be decided by popular vote (among you guys; i will not vote), though it cannot be the same character more than one time in a row.

dm's award will obviously be chosen by me, though the same character cannot be chosen more than one time in a row, and the same character will not be chosen for both players' and dm's awards.

the same player can have different characters simultaneously awarded though.

awarded players can choose between the following (this list will be updated):

+30% xp toward next level gain (remember that if you have +30% and then gain an arbitrary level gain as a result of chapter awards or something, you keep that +30% until it adds up to +100% and you gain another level)

a bonus feat for which they qualify

8 extra skill points and a +2 master bonus to any one skill (master bonuses does not stack with each other, but they count as skill ranks for the purpose of qualifying for feats, prcs, etc).

Reflex Saves-- whenever you are forced to roll a reflex save, for whatever reason, if you wish, and are successful with the save, you can also attempt a Balance check against half of the initial save's DC. If successful, as a free action, you can move 5 feet in any direction. if unsuccessful, you fall prone in the square that you are currently in.

Rule of Relative Mathematics--i fudge rolls all of the time in order to further the story. ok, 'all the time' might be an exaggeration. but i do it, so don't be surprised if you catch it. normally i try to do it in a discreet, non-railroading way that you guys will never notice. but i'm a fallible human too, and occasionally slip. don't worry, if you will remember, i do it in order to FURTHER the story, which includes the goals and desires of the players and their pc's.

Shards of Narsil末who ever heard of a magic item that couldn't be fixed once broken? not only is that the stuff of legendary campaigns, it just makes sense. so, don't feel so bad when you sunder the BBEG's vorpal sword, because you might just end up with it still...

Skill Ranks-- so, once you have training in a class, the class skills of that class are always considered class skills, no matter what other class/prc/racial advancement/etc you are advancing. once trained: always trained.

Sorcerer's Lament-- the sorc has always been the red-headed stepbrother of the wizard. i hate that he gets nerfed at just about every opportunity. granted, there have been some good supplemental stuff for him, but one of his biggest (in my opinion) crutches is the fact that he has to wait for an extra level to begin a new level of spells. sorcerers in my game will gain new spell levels one level earlier. the mechanic for this is kinda sloppy, so bear with me, and if anyone has any suggestions for a better method, let me know.

mechanical info below:
    Spoiler
    Show

0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Summon
    familiar 5 3
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 6 4
    3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 6 5
    4th +2 +1 +1 +4 6 6 3
    5th +2 +1 +1 +4 6 6 4
    6th +3 +2 +2 +5 6 6 5 3
    7th +3 +2 +2 +5 6 6 6 4
    8th +4 +2 +2 +6 6 6 6 5 3
    9th +4 +3 +3 +6 6 6 6 6 4
    10th +5 +3 +3 +7 6 6 6 6 5 3
    11th +5 +3 +3 +7 6 6 6 6 6 4
    12th +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
    13th +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
    14th +7/+2 +4 +4 +9 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
    15th +7/+2 +5 +5 +9 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
    16th +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
    17th +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
    18th +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
    19th +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
    20th +10/+5 +6 +6 +12 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6

^normal progression

the way i am working it is this, at every level where a wizard would gain access to a new level of spells (one level before the sorc), the sorc gains one spell per day of that level. so 3rd level would read (6/5/1), and 4th level would then still read (6/6/3).

spells known is a bit trickier. so far, my best idea has been to do it like the ranger for spells per day. at every level that he now gains 1 spell/day of the new spell level (the level before the sorc normally gets it), he also gains spells known based on his bonus spells only, to a maximum of one spell known of that level. therefore, if the 3rd level sorcerer does not have a 14 charisma, and therefore does not gain 2nd level charisma-based bonus spells, he cannot yet cast 2nd level spells. however, if any of you are trying to create a caster that does not have a 14 or better in your caster stat, then i'm probably going to be using you for target practice anyway, so i'm not too worried that this will be a problem.

notice that even if your ability grants 3 bonus spells at a certain level, you can only gain one for now. why? because i said so. no... well yes, but because next level, you would be getting that one spell anyway. the point is to get it earlier, not to get more of them.

whew. this one has always been harder. thanks for bearing with me.

further, a sorcerer can cast metamagic'ed spells without any casting time increase.

Specific Class Abilities Fixes and Add-ons-- yeah, pretty much the same as the feat fixes. let me know if you have others that need fixing, or different ideas than what is already here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragonscale Husk: can be enchanted with armor magical abilities, if first enchanted with a virtual +4 bonus (that does not actually apply to AC, but factors in the current armor abilities). Enchanting it with that +4 virtual bonus makes it masterwork armor, giving it the -1 to armor check penalties.

alternative to the medium armor (6+1/3 HD armor bonus), a character can trade its armor proficiency in for a light armor dragonscale husk that gives a bonus of 2+1/3 HD armor bonus (max +8 at 18th level), an armor check penalty of -1, a maximum dex modifier of +6, and no chance of spell failure. all other features remain the same as the medium dragonscale husk armor.

spells/powers/etc fixes here末
    Spoiler
    Show
    astral construct: ignore the nerf that complete psionics gave the power; you can have more than one construct at a time.

Spell Ranges鳳ersonal Spells末from now on, any spell, psionic power, mystery, invocation, etc, that has a range of personal is now considered to have a range of touch. if such an effect is used by the caster on him or herself, it is only then considered to have a range of personal.

many "personal" spells are listed at "no SR/no saves." all of them will now be subject to SR, and have saves permitted (save type will be determined on case by case basis).

i reserve the right to negate this ruling on specific spells or related effects if they would become game-breaking or annoying otherwise.

Spinning Yarns-- i realize that it is very hard to actually convey things like battlefield positions, tactics, etc, on a forum. therefore, we are all going to have to be a bit flexible and imaginative. it is going to be hard to be true to normal squares of movement, combat maneuvering, etc. i am very flexible in this regard when it comes to pbp. generally, i will try to give as descriptive an idea as i can as to where your characters are, and who is close to what, etc. i probably am not going to start drawing battle maps and stuff though. so roll with it. i probably am not going to post portraits of each pc and stuff, so roll with it. if you need to know ranges, circumfrences, and volumes, let me know, and i'll let you know. you can improv with me quite a bit. if i say you are talking to a wealthy banker, but don't mention anything else, go ahead and tell him that you love his blue hat and brown shoes--whether or not i mentioned it. i will probably just roll with it. if it goes contrary to something i had planned, i'll let you know.

Trip-Combat Maneuver-- after the touch attack, it is not a contested strength check, but a contested BAB+Str check. Further, tripping an airborne foe causes that foe to fall 10 feet per 5 points by which you beat their roll, before they are able to recover, unless they hit the ground before this point.

XP in general--don't expect standard xp awards. sometimes it will be less, sometimes more; sometimes at the end of a chapter, sometimes in the middle; sometimes i will just say, "everyone gains one level" or something similar. basically, i kind of fudge xp gains as i feel is beneficial to the goals of the chronicle. sometimes i kill level adjustment in the same manner, generally in place of an xp award, or alongside a smaller one.

Withdraw Action-- there is no withdraw action, only normal movement.

more to come as i remember them/dream them up/find them, etc...

Watchtower Character Creation:
    Spoiler
    Show

32-point buy getalt 10th level

full hit points at every level

fractional bab and saves

2 flaws and 2 traits possible

wealth by level: 49,000gp

look at the ability score and feat acquisition houserules in order to calculate these.

class skills: once a class skill, always a class skill; further, Intelligence increases are retroactive with regards to increasing skill points (like hit points).

pretty much anything official (printed in one of the wiz books) is legal, though i will dissect the crap out of some things. anything else, even third party publications, is considered homebrew殆hich is very much encouraged紡nd will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

players, what am i forgetting?

The Contracts:

Spoiler
    Show

Luna Citadel Armed Forces Contract

I, __________________, have voluntarily enlisted in the Luna Citadel Armed Forces for a period of two Celestial years, beginning on the date, ______, and ending on the date, ______.

I understand that I can resign before the above termination date, but that I will forfeit any and all future benefits.

I understand that I am enlisting as a Combat Specialist, and will be required to place myself in harm's way on a consistent basis, in order to serve the greater needs of Celestia, as defined by my superior officers of Luna Citadel.

I understand that I am to receive a monthly salary while serving for Luna Citadel, beginning in the amount of 100 auras every month, subject to an increase or decrease as determined by my superior officers of Luna Citadel.

I understand that Luna Citadel will undertake all medical responsibilities for my well being, up to, but not including, death.

I understand that I am subject to obey lawful orders from my superior officers.

I understand that Luna Citadel law and regulatory policies may change without notice, and that I will still be subject to those changes.

I understand that upon successful and acceptable completion of my enlistment, I will be entitled to certain benefits for the rest of my existence.
    1) I will always have an open position within Luna Citadel, regardless of current service positions available; this position may or may not be within my original training and service; pay for this permanent position will be subject to both need and the decision of the superior officers of Luna Citadel; this permanent position may be revoked at any time with unsatisfactory behavior or circumstances, as defined by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.
    2) I will always have the right to speak before the Citadel-Celestial Bureaucracy liaisons, in order to affect future Luna Citadel regulations, or to affect the legislation of the Celestial Bureaucracy as regarding Luna Citadel; this right may be revoked at any time with unsatisfactory behavior or circumstances, as defined by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.
    3) I will always have the right to attend the social and ceremonial functions of Luna Citadel, up to and including those available to me according to my rank at end of service, as if I were still an active service member of Luna Citadel; this right may be revoked at any time with unsatisfactory behavior or circumstances, as defined by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.
    4) Other rights may be given as determined by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.

****WARNING: Confidential Section to follow:

Watchtower Contract

I, __________________, have voluntarily enlisted in the Watchtower for a period of two Celestial years, beginning on the date, ______, and ending on the date, ______.

I have voluntarily chosen this wartime obligation, and have not been coerced, by any mundane or supernatural force, to this decision.

I understand that the Watchtower is a nonexistent entity within Luna Citadel, and that I am never to refer to it to those that do not have access to this information; these individuals will be introduced to me presently.

I understand that if I reveal information in a willful or negligent manner, I may be held accountable and prosecutable by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.

I understand that my service in the Watchtower entitles me to a further 100 auras every month in base pay, subject to an increase or decrease as determined by my superior officers of Luna Citadel.

I understand that once I give my final signature, and am accepted by this document, and by the superior officers of Luna Citadel, this section of the contract that pertains to service in the Watchtower will disappear, and will not be made visible except with the consent of the superior officers of Luna Citadel. I further understand that if and when I have reason to review the terms of my enlistment and service to the Watchtower, that I have the right to review the entire contract, including this section pertaining to the Watchtower, with the supervision of a superior officer of Luna Citadel.

I understand the fourfold mission of the Watchtower to be as follows, and I will do my best to further these missions:

One--The Watchtower will identify and monitor high-risk areas, which are generally defined as areas with substantially higher than normal percentages of powerful villains as compared to powerful protectors. These designated areas will be consistently monitored for future problems, in which case the Watchtower will respond as reasonable. In such cases as it is not expedient or reasonable to annihilate the threat, the mission will be to check and control that evil until it can be eradicated.

Two--The Watchtower will identify those villains that skirt planar and area boundaries sufficient to confuse the responsible and authorized application of justice and righteousness. These villains will be eradicated when reasonable, and monitored, checked, and controlled when not.

Three--The Watchtower will respond to requests for aid from sincerely needful individuals or groups. These areas will then be reviewed to determine whether they meet the qualifications for mission number one.

Four--The Watchtower will preserve the lives of innocents whenever possible, and will take appropriate steps to minimize collateral damage within the areas of its operation. Further, the Watchtower will apply the proper emergency relief to those innocents affected by the operation or the targets of the operation. This duty includes medical and guardianship roles where applicable, but does not under normal circumstances include rebuilding, political reform, or other matters of infrastructure. These matters will be handled by Luna Citadel as determined appropriate by the superior officers of the organization.

NOTE: The divine nature of this contract will not allow for dishonest or untrue answers to any of the statements, whether knowingly or unknowingly. If the contract does not accept your final signature, you have been rejected for said service, and will have your memory regarding this incident erased. By attempting to sign this contract, you are giving your permission for said actions by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.

Final Signature: ____________________________ Date: ____________

Witness: ___________________ Witness: _____________________

Luna Citadel Recorder: ______________________ Date: ____________

along with your goals, post a link to your character sheet. that way i can patch it into this directory.

thanks, aaron out.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2010-11-27 at 12:40 PM.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower末Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer 添our cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.

Wiggum, checking 展ell I'll be damned.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: watchtower末volume two

Spoiler
    Show
    i will catch up to the action on this thread probably later tonight or early tomorrow. school projects are still lingering (one left!). stand by...

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer 添our cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    At some point, I'll have to make time to read all the threads that came before. How many parties have been in this campaign over the years?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Game where Lordsmoothe ran it as ECL 14 gestalt, restart with Levi's group and friends, and then this group and this group+

So 4000gp huh? Hmm....
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This entire situation has continued to bother the gentle monk, and his mind races for an explanation.

Who is this woman, and why should she go to the trouble of attacking them?
    Have they trespassed? Did she feel threatened by them and attack in an effort to defend herself? Even villains have a reason, but this just seems senseless to the monk.

If it weren't for the fact that she had attacked them first, Elric would have happily gone his way. Being undead is not reason enough for Elric to fight her, for Elric is from Eberron, where half the planet seems to be undead.

Doubt after doubt assails Elric, and he voices some of them to Kuru:

"Good dragon, Who is this woman, and why is she doing this? I do not understand why she has attacked us."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Ketten cares not for her motivations! This woman has trespassed against his god! How dare she resist Pelor's light! His rage suffuses the link connecting his thoughts to those of his allies. Zipping forward with a roar, he remembers his training and attacks her from above with a concentrated dose of Pelor's radiance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spontaneously cast Heal on the Wraith. So we'll sack Heroes' Feast for 110 from the spell +12 for the augment healing x1.5 from empowered healing... 183 positive energy damage. And touch attack, +5 from improvisation and +1 from height differential, so...(1d20+17)[23] against touch ac with a Dc 23 will save for half, and it can't reduce her below 1 hp.
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt
    PBP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

hans is shaken.

all of kelurn's attacks hit.

P.S. Yay for 4000 gp! Elric gets to donate it to others! Too bad Kyrill can't make the case that he's hard up for money right now...
    i am trying to think of something that would be a comparable reward for kuru and elric, but haven't had any great ideas yet. if any of you have any ideas, lemme know. i thought of just doing a +15% xp award, but that is intrinsically waaaaay different than a gp award in a lot of ways, and so i don't think that i'll go with that.

i have another option that i can't reveal yet, so if i decide to go with that, the two monks won't get anything for another two to three levels or so. good thing mhvaughan is patient!

That's what Iron Heart Surge is for,
    which reminds me: i know that i covered the fact that iron heart surge works differently in my rules, but that was with the last group. now i have to go see if i actually added it to the houserules, or add it now.

Hans is startled by the supernatural power in the wraith woman's voice, and despite his best efforts, he cannot shake the tremor of fear that she inspires in him.

The woman screams as Kurukshetra's breath weapon washes over her. Her robes singe and smoke, her flesh suddenly smells burnt, and her eyes are squeezed tight against the onslaught of light. Elric fares better, not as averse to the Celestial power that he is so connected to as well.

Kelurn is moving again even as Kuru senses his intent and rolls out of his way, the human's blades slicing across her exposed neck, arms, and burying themselves in her abdomen through the rent hole in her armor.

The dragon does not have an answer to Elric's question. But even as he is thinking of her motive, Kettenbar pounces on her with the might of a thunderbolt loosed from Olympus, and the holy power transferred to the undead woman is too much.

With a shriek, she dissolves into a thick, black smoke that roils across Elric's prone form for a moment and is then lost to the cold wind atop the mountain.

Spoiler
    Show
    elric takes another 5 acid and 5 fire damage.

Elric looks to the woman's weapon that he still holds in his hand, and though there is no hissing flame or bubbling acid, he can feel the lethal damage that the tonfa is inflicting upon him with every passing second.

Kurukshetra frowns as he reads the monk's thoughts through the net, That weapon could be cursed. You might want to let go of it; some types of acid are deadly poisonous to the body.

Then the dragon turns to Kettenbar, Nice work. All of you were impressive. That thing was very strong, stronger even than the lunar dragon, I think.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Elric Krossos - Pathfinder Human Half-Celestial Monk
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 120/161 + Temp, AC: 35 (39), T: 33, FF: 30. DR: 5/magic. Resistance Acid/Cold/Electricity: 10. SR: 20 (24 Evil). Fortitude: 14. Reflex: 15. Will: 16. Initiative: +5. Speed 60' (120' fly).
    Darkvision 60'. Evasion. Improved Evasion. Still Mind (+2 saves against enchantment). Slow fall 50'. *Immune disease, poison. Mindshielding. Endure Elements. Sustenance.
    Dodge (+3). Combat Reflexes/Expertise. Improved Trip, Defensive Throw. Improved Grapple, Choke Hold. Improved Disarm, Grappling Block. Prone Attack. Deflect Arrows.

Stunning Fist: DC 23 (25 against evil, staggered after stun). 0/11.
    Unarmed Strike (Magic/Holy/Lawful) Atk: +22/+22/+22/+17/+12. Dmg: 1d10+10 (+2d6 against evil).
    Trip: +16.
    Grapple: +22 Touch. Check: +27.
    Disarm: +26.

+7 fear
    +4 battlesense
    inspire greatness +3 attack
    Freedom of Movement,
    Haste: +1 attack,+1 AC, reflex
    Displacement. Inspire Courage is currently +6 morale to hit, +7 morale to damage and saves vs fear and charm.
    +2 attack flanking
    large size + 4 grapple
    +1 wisdom
    +5 grapple
    +3 AC dodge
    +2 competence on fort saves
    temporary d10 hit dice (include con bonus 3 times).
    Fly

Spell Like Abilities and Ki Pool
    Spoiler
    Show

Ki Pool: 1/13
    2 Points = Heal 11
    1 Point = 1 extra attack
    1 Point = Speed +20'
    1 Point = +4 Dodge bonus

Daylight (at will)
    Protection from Evil 0/3
    Smite Evil 0/1
    Bless 0/1
    Aid 0/1
    Detect Evil 0/1
    Cure Serious Wounds 0/1
    Neutralize Poison 0/1
    Holy Smite 0/1
    Remove Disease 0/1
    Dispel Evil 0/1
    Holy Word 0/1

The monk clenches his eyes shut during the blast, and then quivers in pain--more from the evil essence than the acid--that flows over his body into the snow. As he rises, there are burn holes throughout his coarse robes.

When Kuru speaks, Elric furiously throws the tonfa into the snow, having been unaware that he was even holding it in his hand during the struggle (OOC: all disarms, unless specified, are dropped and not held).

With a sigh, he sits down in the snow, breathing heavily from his contest with the lady.

Kyrill Medvedyev - Pathfinder Half-Orc Were-Bear
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 200/254, AC: 33 (35 against ranged attacks), T: 14, FF:33. DR: 10/silver + 2/-. Fortitude: 24. Reflex: 13. Will: 16. Initiative: -3. Scent: aware of creatures within 30' (60' downwind, 15' upwind), low-light vision, darkvision 60', improved uncanny dodge (cannot be flanked), trap sense +3, orc ferocity, endurance, Size: Large, Reach: 10', Speed: 30'

+1 Magebane Adamantine Fullblade Atk: +24/+19/+14. Dmg: 3d8+20.
    (Against arcane casters, becomes +3 Fullblade dealing 3d8+2d6+19 dmg)
    Bite Atk: +18. Dmg: 1d8+6; Claws Atk: +18. Dmg 1d8+13

Greater Raging. +6 Str and Con. +3 will. -2 AC.
    Also: huge size. +2 Str. -2 Dex. -1 AC and attack.

+7 fear
    +4 battlesense
    inspire greatness +3 attack
    Freedom of Movement
    Haste: +1 attack,+1 AC, reflex
    Displacement. Inspire Courage is currently +6 morale to hit, +7 morale to damage and saves vs fear and charm.
    +2 attack flanking
    +2 competence on fort saves
    temporary d10 hit dice (include con bonus 3 times).
    Fly

For his part, the were-bear is uneasy, splitting his attention between the steaming outline of the fiend in the snow and the horizons around him.

With a sniff of the air, he turns to the others: "Should not we rather be going, then?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, just for good measure, does "Scent" pick up anything in the vicinity? I doubt there will be anything, but I imagine for RP sake she smells pretty evil.

So...any desire to tell us: random encounter chart? Or plot?
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-08-13 at 04:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Dalbar walks over to the weapon and takes a closer look at it. Hmmmmm... Does any one have any spare chain or cloth? I like the look of this thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    PBP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Stycotl, there are things like Blessings and Locations that have GP values but are not technically material possessions. I can find one around 4000gp if you like.

Levi and Hans

The two rummage around their gear and almost at the same time they produce rope. Hans's rope is rather normal, but with enough it could be used to create a makeshift carrying case if one were good with knots. Levi's rope is absolutely foul. It is bloated and the color of dead flesh but it seems to grow before the eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Levi has Troll Gut Rope, and if it works on this plane he can create 300ft of rope that lasts 12 hours. Mmmmm, intestines.

Hans's rope is just rope. He's also got a few random things that are like 15gp worth of basic starting gear (standard adventurer's pack from PH2) which includes a backpack he never actually uses.

If no one has anything, Hans can use Materialization to create something with hours per 2 levels duration but its Chaos Magic that is creating something. Levi also has his turban, but he'd much rather keep it.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Dalbar looks over the rope and over the tonfa. For first time in ever I find my self in need of a seamstress. He looks thoughtful for a moment. Or a weaver.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If only someone in the party had say... ranks in craft(weaving)...
    Spoiler
    Show
    PBP

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: all disarms, unless specified, are dropped and not held).
    unarmed attacks end with the weapon in your hand. i figured you would want to hold on to it so that she couldn't get her mitts on it again anyway.

Also, just for good measure, does "Scent" pick up anything in the vicinity? I doubt there will be anything, but I imagine for RP sake she smells pretty evil.
    she has no smell normally (though when she burned toward the end, there was a strange charred flesh smell, but almost as if it were preserved flesh that was burning.

So...any desire to tell us: random encounter chart? Or plot?
    well, i'd say "you'll see," but then you guys would figure it out...

Stycotl, there are things like Blessings and Locations that have GP values but are not technically material possessions. I can find one around 4000gp if you like.
    that is a darn good idea. i had forgotten all about places of power and stuff. some of those would fit the two monks' characters pretty well too. +5% xp to either levi or hans.

Levi has Troll Gut Rope, and if it works on this plane he can create 300ft of rope that lasts 12 hours. Mmmmm, intestines.
    it works, but it'll have to make a caster level check.

If only someone in the party had say... ranks in craft(weaving)...
    +5% to dalbar or ketten too; i laughed at that remark for over a minute. the irony...

Kurukshetra shakes himself out of his thoughts, What in the darkness of the Abyss was that?

He glances at Dalbar as the gnome inspects the martial art weapon. I say we just throw it into one of those deep ice chasms釦hen no one will find its unholy power for a good long time.

Even as he says it though, he realizes that this thought is not very rational, and that it is extremely biased because of his forswearing of personal belongings.

Finally he shrugs, Just make it quick. We need to keep moving if we are going to make it in time. So far the wind has been strong, but when I was fling over the other side of the ridge, it seemed as if it was much stronger on the other side, and there are miles and miles of ravines and gorges that we have to cross.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (As I'm applying it to Levi) Is that the only XP award I have gotten? I can't seem to recall, because I don't have any gains displayed on the sheet.

OH! Back in Lordsmoothe's version of the Watchtower you (Stycotl) asked about Companion Spirits. Can this group take part in that? It would give us a use of some of that there gold which may or may not be more beneficial than giving the ascetics blessing-type-things.

And on that note, if we attract a Companion can I name him Veil Edal and have him form from the errant thoughts in my network? XD

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (As I'm applying it to Levi) Is that the only XP award I have gotten? I can't seem to recall, because I don't have any gains displayed on the sheet.
    i think so, but i wasn't smart enough to start writing down when i promised you guys xp awards until just a two weeks ago or so (remember when i told douglas to remind me about his?).

OH! Back in Lordsmoothe's version of the Watchtower you (Stycotl) asked about Companion Spirits. Can this group take part in that? It would give us a use of some of that there gold which may or may not be more beneficial than giving the ascetics blessing-type-things.

And on that note, if we attract a Companion can I name him Veil Edal and have him form from the errant thoughts in my network? XD
    companion spirits are going to feature in the group, but the system will be different enough that i think it would be fair to allow a by-the-book system that will cost xp and gold as well, so if you guys can make levi's companion spirit work out, i am all for it. you will probably want to homebrew your own, though you could just change the flavor of some of the canon spirits. most of them kinda suck though, so do what you want.

Kurukshetra is gazing toward the pass just above them, How much time left is there on your flight magic? If we still have some time, we might be able to get down to land somewhere safe on the other side of the mountain. The wind will be a problem, but it might be our only chance to cut some time off of our trip.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Dalbar loops a quick knot of Han's silk rope over and around the handle of the tonfa, pulling it snug while taking care to not touch the weapon itself. With a gesture of triumph he hangs it off his shoulder.
    Spoiler
    Show
    PBP

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    barring an extradimensional space or something, it'll be almost impossible not to touch it occasionally, especially while hiking and flying. i'm not gonna specify an amount of damage, except that dalbar gets zapped by it a couple of times.

Kuru watches as the gnome secures the weapon. All right. Let's get out of here.

With that, he takes to the air, leading the way over the pass and down the far side. From this altitude, the group sees over the lower clouds that screened Kuru and Kettenbar's vision earlier, and they can now see a wall of mountains on the horizon, vast and imposingly tall. Almost all of the peaks are of roughly the same height, except for one large tower of stone that sticks out like a fortified position.

Between them and the tower were miles and miles of craggy, rocky terrain complete with fissures, cliffs, glacial valleys, and deep chasms. As the dragon had stated, the wind was much stronger once on this far side of the twin peaks, and the group nearly has to fly at an oblique angle toward the south in order to keep moving straight west against the powerful, northward gusts.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Elric flies, worries over the lady's agression continue to trouble him, as does Dalbar's insistence on bringing her dark weapon. The monk glances across at Dalbar's bundle every few minutes, concern etched across his brow. They should have destroyed the thing and left it in that unholy place.

Kyrill enjoys the flight, his massive bulk catching the wind, but helping to steady him nonetheless.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are we worried about healing in case we run into another bad guy?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

As he flies Ketten sends his thought through the net. Do any of you require healing? I have Pelor's light to spare.
    Spoiler
    Show
    PBP

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurukshetra is flying above the group, fighting some very intense wind gusts, I think that it would be smart to heal anyone that needs it; we will probably need all of our strength once we lose the option to fly. And who knows if we will meet anymore unfriendlies along the route. He then rises again to his observation altitude.

A few moments later the dragon drops back into communication range, still wrestling with the winds, shouts, There is a large storm front moving in from the north. We had best make for a gorge or valley that runs in our direction before it is upon us.

Sure enough, within less than a minute, a mass of darkness spreads over the distant peaks of the northern horizon, and at its rate, it will be upon them within five minutes. Even from this distance, it is easy to see the blanketing wall of snow and ice driven below the towering thunderhead that signals a blizzard of tremendous proportions.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Both Kyrill and Elric speak up, affirming their need of healing.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Ketten flies between to each of them in turn and dispenses Pelor's blessings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: How much do they each need?
    Spoiler
    Show
    PBP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    E: 41. K: 54.

Much obliged, sir.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-08-16 at 07:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    All right we'll start with a cure critical to each.
    Kyrill(4d8+20)[41]x1.5= 61
    Elric(4d8+20)[35]x1.5= 52
    Alrighty than. Anyone else?
    Last edited by Obscurejones; 2009-08-16 at 08:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    PBP

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurukshetra drops back into range, I could use a little bit of help too. I have used up all of my healing, but am still quite sore.

Spoiler
    Show
    32 points left unhealed.

There is a valley just to the west of us that runs almost parallel to our direction of travel. It looks very deep, and might afford us the protection that we need from the storm. In fact, if it is deep enough, it might shield us from the worst of the wind, and we still might be able to fly.

Levi and Kelurn, what is our plan?
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2009-08-16 at 09:55 PM.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

25. - Top - End - #25
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    Kurukshetra is gazing toward the pass just above them, How much time left is there on your flight magic? If we still have some time, we might be able to get down to land somewhere safe on the other side of the mountain. The wind will be a problem, but it might be our only chance to cut some time off of our trip.
    Ten minutes from the moment we got out of that witch's maze, Erfel replies. I can renew it several more times if required, but each times risks this world's wrath against magic.

Kelurn also requests healing (he's down 71 from full).

Going for the valley sounds good to me. Levi?

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, the speed bonus from Snowshoes is actually not specified to any particular movement mode, so we'd be flying at speed 70 by RAW.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-08-16 at 10:35 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, been a bit busy. >.< So bloody tired. x.x

And ya know, Levi is immune to acid AND has an extradimensional space...

*rambles on...*

Levi

The psychic reviews the surroundings, his mind running through visual cues pulled from Kuru's mind and various calculations. As he is thinking his hands slide over his crossbow in motions he has repeated time and again. A case with a single remaining bolt is exchanged for a fresh one dangling from his belt, the many cases still in his pack left forgotten. He doesn't plan to risk attempting to open it on this strange plane unless he absolutely must. He glances to the others and though he does not nod the mental image slides over the true image as he speaks telepathically, "To the valley then, with haste."

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    will have a post up in a few minutes. i should have time to post for a few hours tonight, if people are going to be around.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Now healed, the team moves on quickly, aiming for the opening of the long, narrow valley that Kuru spotted ahead. Even as they fly, the storm boils over the mountains to the north and rushes toward them. Winds pick up as it approaches, and Kurukshetra drops back down into the net as the valley becomes visible to the others.

We need to take to the ground now!

Just then, as if to accentuate his point, a powerful gust picks him up and spins him in the air as if he were a feather caught in its grasp instead of a dragon. He regains control 150 feet farther away from them than he had started and then continues his descent, wings working furiously to keep him from being dashed against the ice-covered stones below.

Kurukshetra hits the ground at a run, wings folding up behind him, I can take two riders if they are smaller than Kyrill...

Not only can he take riders, but Kuru is by far the fastest runner in the group, with the stamina of a dragon to back up the speed.

He nods toward a small gap in between two icy hills ahead, The valley is just beyond those foothills. It will take us within four miles of the wall of mountains, just below the tower. Those four miles will be rough though, especially with a blizzard over us.

With that, he begins a quick jog toward the entrance to their valley, accepting whatever riders want to get on.

Spoiler
    Show
    light load is 519 lbs, and he doesn't carry a thing since he has the vow of poverty going. base land speed is 120 feet, so he's not going to have any difficulty setting a quick pace.

yeah, that is what kuru does well; he moves fast. oh, and he has a lot of skill ranks in listen and intimidate... *small yay*

so, who wants a ride? for fluff reasons, small riders like the gnomes would be better, but he is technically a large dragon now, and with his encumbrance, he can take a medium rider if someone wants on. but it would look like someone riding a miniature pony that has golden scales and moves real quick!

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well then, i'll just assume that the two gnomes wanted rides.

The Watchmen drop to the ground just as the gales reach them, and now struggle to keep their feet as immense winds threaten to blow them away. The smaller Watchmen are particularly affected by the winds, and Kyrill is hardly affected at all, except for the airborne debris getting in his eyes.

Kurukshetra takes off, bounding like a hunting cat across the deep snows, Erfel and Dalbar clinging to his back as if they were riding an angry bronco. He decides to put his great speed to use by scouting ahead, sweeping back and forth from left to right in order to allow the others to keep up. Even when he is running, he uses his wings to steady him and aid in maneuvering. He stops every few minutes in order to catch his breath and conserve energy in case of emergency, but other than that, he blasts through snow drifts and over ice-covered rock outcroppings, sniffing the air and scanning the shadows with his sharp dragon eyes.

After a few moments, the group drops down into the valley. Sure enough, the wind is lesser here, though it has been channeled and runs east to west instead of north to south, with many eddies and cross currents. Now, the companions are able to again take to the air, so long as they stay low to the ground, and with the wind behind them, they make excellent, though somewhat breakneck, speed, and the valley fairly rushes past underneath them as they swoop past.

Only half an hour passes, and they reach the end of the valley. Above them the storm rages, and Kuru creeps up to the very edges of the valley's upward slope in order to see about how they should continue.

After a few minutes, the dragon returns, I think that Kyrill is the only one that would be able to keep his feet against that wind. All of us would be blown about like small birds. Further, there is a strong hail that scours the snowdrifts. This valley is deep enough that it has not penetrated down here yet, but the stones are as large as olives up there.

I cannot yet see an end to the storm, though even my vision is admittedly limited within the tempest above. If any of you have any magic that may aid us, now might be one of the times to test our luck against the strict nature of this plane. The only other option that I have thought of would be to tether us all together and utilize the werebear as an anchor. Kyrill, so you think that you could anchor an entire group of living kites?

A problem with that strategy though, would be the cliffs and ravines that we face until we reach the mountain wall ahead. There will be much climbing, and having us all tethered together will certainly make some of the climbs easier, but it will make it much more dangerous in some aspects too.

Team leaders, thoughts?

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill's voice booms out across the snow and wind:

"Let us climb. Tie yourselves to me, but let us move quickly! If we are to make the tower before our time is out, we need to keep moving.

Spoiler
    Show
    Three cheers for +17 climb and buffs.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-08-18 at 03:09 PM.