New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [4E] Here it comes - the new setting's Dark Sun.

Source: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090814

There's not much I can say about this that isn't said there, but it won't stop me from paraphrasing.

Basically, they're trying to stick to most of Dark Sun's idiosyncracies instead of trying to shoehorn it into fitting 4E's current mold. As well, they're going with classic Dark Sun's timeline. On top of all that, at least some of the classes will be getting new options - the Fighter is the example given, though there are no new options actually shown. Or discussed beyond their namesake.
    HOW IS BABBY FORMED

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Here it comes - the new setting's Dark Sun.

Excellent. Looking forward to this immensely.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I may actually have to play 4e now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Hmmm this and PHB3 with its psionic options may actually convert me fully over to 4E.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Wait a second... "Under 2nd Edition, Dark Sun was all about a grittier, action-packed feeling in a dark and dangerous world, and that’s going to map really well to the new edition and the baseline assumptions about the world."

Since when has 4E been gritty, dark or dangerous?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno, but I totally called it. I'm SUPER excited about this now.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #7

I dunno about whether or not the discussion regarding Dark Sun at the bottom of the page is actually true or just a bunch of assuaging hot air, but this book cover? Badass.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I never heard about dark sun before, but anything post-apocalypse sounds awesome in my book.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I am actually very happy about this; I really hope that the Dark Sun Campaign Guide follows the methodology of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, and I do not mean the way they moved the time line on, rather I mean that each area has a succinct description on which the game master can build in the manner of the D20 Wilderlands of High Fantasy boxed set. I am looking forward to this!
    Last edited by Matthew; 2009-08-14 at 12:18 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The grittiest and most lethal AD&D setting (maybe apart from Ravenloft) gets converted to 4e? This will be either So Bad It's Good or just plain awesome. Either way, I win.

Also, I think Wizards intentionally wants to release this book in order to make oldtimers play 4e.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2009-08-14 at 12:26 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    The grittiest and most lethal AD&D (maybe apart from Ravenloft) setting gets converted to 4e? This will be either So Bad It's Good or just plain awesome. Either way, I win.
    I expect a lot of people to almost die in the desert. Oh, never mind one did. Oh wait, nevermind, he's ok.

Seriously though, dark sun was probably my least favorite campaign setting. Pretty much any world based on one terrain type will get boring to me after a while. Ice world, water world, or in this case, desert world.

Also I'm not a fan of 4e so that's like the mayonnaise icing on the crap cake right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

SMOKIN'

Righteously.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

YES!

I am so excited for this. I really liked DS more than my favorite at the time, FR, because it was so self contained. It didn't get more things tacked on to it as time went by, such as Maztica, Kara-Tur, etc. (And I don't hate them but it didn't seem to fit.)

So, very happy about this announcement! I already told my group, I am running DS after our current campaign. I am hopeful they will go along with me!

edg

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moriato View Post
    Seriously though, dark sun was probably my least favorite campaign setting. Pretty much any world based on one terrain type will get boring to me after a while. Ice world, water world, or in this case, desert world.
    I dunno about that - in the first three and a half books of the Prism Pentad (that's as far as I've gotten so far), there's desert, urban, mountain, jungle, crazy mutant-forest, and "sea" (though it's made of silt) environments. Yeah, desert kinda dominates, but it's for a reason in-setting, not just because someone got over-happy with Sandstorm ideas.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I called it...but I'm not all too happy about it, to be honest. FR got mutilated in the 4e transition, Eberron got a few "minor" tweaks (like "Hey guys, anyone can have any dragonmark now! Because PCs are special!"), and if their release of the Prism Pentad is any indication, Dark Sun will most likely include a few "minor tweaks" or "small updates" that ruin it.

Playing DS in general would be absolutely awesomtastically amazing, since I haven't found anyone willing to run it since I was playing 2e, but as for getting it as a setting...I guess I just don't trust WotC with it.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2009-08-14 at 12:36 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    SMOKIN'

Righteously.
    Ohmigod, it's AstralFire!

I admit to not knowing much about Dark Sun, but if that cover is any indication of the quality of the book, then I'm going to have to buy it. With extreme prejudice.

I'm also hoping that this will show that 4E can do dark and gritty just fine, with a few rather minor rule tweaks. (namely, reducing the rate of healing surge regeneration to Con mod/extended rest, or similar)
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Well, I called it...but I'm not all too happy about it, to be honest. FR got mutilated in the 4e transition, Eberron got a few "minor" tweaks (like "Hey guys, anyone can have any dragonmark now! Because PCs are special!"), and if their release of the Prism Pentad is any indication, Dark Sun will most likely include a few "minor tweaks" or "small updates" that ruin it.
    Actually, you might surprised. (Or James Wyatt might not be telling the whole truth.

Quote Originally Posted by The Next 4E Campaign Setting
    James Wyatt: Our goal with the setting was to cleave as close to the original boxed set as possible while still allowing as many D&D options as we could and making the setting ideal for 4th Edition play. We’re in the process of re-releasing Troy Denning’s excellent Prism Pentad series of novels, and we didn’t want readers to come away from those books and look at the campaign setting and not recognize it as the same world. So we tried to capture the essence of the original Dark Sun boxed set while ensuring that the Prism Pentad novels could be one possible way things turn out.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Expected, but still lame. Dark Sun is the setting that always makes me go 'ugh you couldn't pay me to play that ever', since it goes against... Pretty much everything I like in a setting ever.

My usual PC types wouldn't survive childhood, and if they did they'd just go lie down in the desert somewhere and stab themselves with their stone-age knives to make the endless hopelessness and brutality stop. >_>
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Nai_Calus View Post
    My usual PC types wouldn't survive childhood, and if they did they'd just go lie down in the desert somewhere and stab themselves with their stone-age knives to make the endless hopelessness and brutality stop. >_>
    Athas does not favor Optimists. However, Emo Kids die even quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'm excited, I've never played or even heard of dark sun until now (I'm new to the hobby) so I'll be able to enjoy it without ever going "But it originally had this, or this"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    Athas does not favor Optimists. However, Emo Kids die even quicker.
    Yeah, I make a lot of Chaotic Good optimistic merciful compassionate dyed-in-the-wool Nice Guys who want to make the world a better place. It's what I like. I also like optimism and hope for the future and worlds that are a decent place that needs saving from becoming ****holes like Athas already is. I also make characters that are deeply religious in contrast to my near-atheism so that doesn't work either.

I don't want to make brutal petty survivalist me-first characters of the sort that seem required for Dark Sun, because I get enough of that in the real world. <_> Thus!

Seriously Shadowrun is the darkest I get. Anything past that I don't care anymore it's too depressing, I'd rather spend my leisure time doing something I enjoy, like shoving icepicks under my toenails.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

22. - Top - End - #22

I am curious as to what sorts of mechanical changes might be introduced to make 4e 'cleave as close to the original boxed set as possible'. Unlike FR or Eberron, for example, Dark Sun's apparently got some class exclusivity (in particular paladins, monks, and sorcerers); I sincerely doubt they'll ban those again, so what they'll do to explain the presence of those kinds of PC characters is a mystery to me.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The new version's focus will be on the 50,000 survivors of Athas after the Warforged nuked the planet, as they search desperately for a mythical planet named Htrae in their fleet of spelljammer ships, while fighting off more Warforged attacks.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2009-08-14 at 01:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    what they'll do to explain the presence of those kinds of PC characters is a mystery to me.
    Probably the same as what they did to explain the presence of dragonborn and warforged in the Realms

So anyway - it would seem that every setting book gets a few new races, one special "semi power source" (spellscars and dragonmarks, resp) and one new class. One race for Dark Sun is obviously the half-giant (although that feels similar to a goliath, really); but anyone have guesses what the others will be? The class would probably be defiler, I suppose.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    One race for Dark Sun is obviously the half-giant (although that feels similar to a goliath, really); but anyone have guesses what the others will be?
    Mul is kind of an iconic one, and they've already mentioned Thri-Kreen, and I think they're one a lot of people will want to play. Outside that, well, there's a handful of others that I don't know about (lizardy people, birdy people, etc.), which would be at least NPC races.

The class would probably be defiler, I suppose.
    I dunno - defiling and preserving could probably be a non-class mechanic, somehow. Guess we'll just have to wait and see, though.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-08-14 at 01:12 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #26

Probably the same as what they did to explain the presence of dragonborn and warforged in the Realms

So anyway - it would seem that every setting book gets a few new races, one special "semi power source" (spellscars and dragonmarks, resp) and one new class. One race for Dark Sun is obviously the half-giant (although that feels similar to a goliath, really); but anyone have guesses what the others will be? The class would probably be defiler, I suppose.
    I would expect Half-Giants, Muls (maybe), and Thri-Kreen as races, and probably Templars as a class - or maybe an Athasian Bard.

Also, I am completely dumbfounded that people are raving over that cover - I think it looks awful.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I like everything I've heard about Dark Sun and I'm glad to have the chance to try it. I just hope it's not some watered down diet Dark Sun. That would kinda defeat the purpose.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nai_Calus View Post
    Yeah, I make a lot of Chaotic Good optimistic merciful compassionate dyed-in-the-wool Nice Guys who want to make the world a better place. It's what I like. I also like optimism and hope for the future and worlds that are a decent place that needs saving from becoming ****holes like Athas already is. I also make characters that are deeply religious in contrast to my near-atheism so that doesn't work either.

I don't want to make brutal petty survivalist me-first characters of the sort that seem required for Dark Sun, because I get enough of that in the real world. <_> Thus!

Seriously Shadowrun is the darkest I get. Anything past that I don't care anymore it's too depressing, I'd rather spend my leisure time doing something I enjoy, like shoving icepicks under my toenails.
    You could definitely play an optimist on Athas, the dragon kings can be overthrown, look at Tyr. There are, to my knowledge, reasonable movements to make things better in the deserty area, and potentially much of the world yet to be discovered.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, I’m surprised they are actually doing dark sun. Seriously though this is great news. They are finally doing something with their older setting they had lying around.

This is possibly the best thing I’ve heard today (well read but still).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I'm surprised Dark Sun fans are actually happy about this. Remembering what they made of the Forgotten Realms, which is a far more mainstream setting.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying