New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A silly question/concept

Ok, so my Beguiler with Shadow Evocation purposefully fails his Reflex and Will Save to put himself inside a Resilient Sphere. Obviously casting something like Fireball that originates from the caster is not possible, but what about spells that do not originate from the caster like Glitterdust or Solid Fog?

Best of luck
    -Eddie

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: A silly question/concept

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrusheddie View Post
    Ok, so my Beguiler with Shadow Evocation purposefully fails his Reflex and Will Save to put himself inside a Resilient Sphere. Obviously casting something like Fireball that originates from the caster is not possible, but what about spells that do not originate from the caster like Glitterdust or Solid Fog?

Best of luck
    -Eddie
    "I willing myself to fail to disbelieve the illusion that I just cast"

???

I have no idea where this is going.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Cheese" is where it's going. As for the OP question, dunno. If it relies on line of effect, probably not.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm pretty sure that Resilient Sphere was designed to block Line-of-Effect, so no Glitterdust/Solid Fog while stuck inside.

That, and you'd need a very good RP reason as to why you think your own illusion is real. After all, you typically disbelieve your own illusions.

5. - Top - End - #5

You can voluntarily fail saves, but you automatically disbelieve your own illusion. You don't even get a save.

If he disbelieves, what happens? Doesn't it have a % chance to fail? So it can still work.

And if so, he blocked all the enemies. This has many more applications as a Cleric or Wizard tool, as they don't have to be illusions.

Anything that works without LoE works with the sphere.

6. - Top - End - #6

The It's not so much "I am really believing in my Illusion!" So much as it it purposefully failing your save; I worded it very poorly.

I just choose the Beguiler because I'm playing one; the question is also targeted for Wizards. Can you fail your reflex save to make yourself immune to melee and still have Battlefield Control?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    You can voluntarily fail saves, but you automatically disbelieve your own illusion. You don't even get a save.

Anything that works without LoE works with the sphere.
    Here we go again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

If everyone just gets caught on the "disbelieving your own illusions" part, then one could just use two wizards. Which is going to lead into the question of getting both of them in each other's sphere.

9. - Top - End - #9

Look, the can you auto-fail the save to disbelive illusions created via Shadow Evocation/Conjuration or other spells is a long running CO-Debate. There is no consensus. The OP can inteperet it either way in his own games.
    Fire Emblem Optimizer and Game Balancer (apparently) in the Playground
    A note on using my Fire Emblem rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    "Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."
    Harry Dresden Avatar by Deuxhero

10. - Top - End - #10

GnomeWizardGuy

A mage disbelieves his own illusion since he knows for a fact that it's fake. However, if he was given a reason to believe that it might be real then maybe he could purposely fail the save.

But that's probably a one time RP and mostly up to your DM.