New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Mount Optimization

So, my DM has given me an item that grant me leadership as a bonus feat. Groovy. However, I don't particularly feel like playing a second character, so I got his permission to use the feat to level up my Paladin's Mount. The mount is a triceratops, on the small side for its species, but about the size of a Magebred Horse. In fact, except for appearances it is a Magebred Horse.

In that respect, I have a couple questions:
    1. What is the best way to maximize its speed and survivability (class-wise)?
    2. Would the HD for being my mount stack with the 17 levels it will have for being my cohort, or not? Or, at least, would you expect a DM to allow them to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

2. - Top - End - #2

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Mount Optimization

Take the Devoted Tracker feat and that will let you stack ranger and paladin levels to treat your mount as both a Special Mount and Animal Companion
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

There was a Supermount build hanging around somewhere that gets it to something like 50HD, making the mount more badass than its master.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 sharnian View Post
    Take the Devoted Tracker feat and that will let you stack ranger and paladin levels to treat your mount as both a Special Mount and Animal Companion
    I'm not a ranger. Also, I'm using the free feat from an item to do this, all my feats are occupied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?