New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [d20r, Race] Phoe-Kun

Phoe-kun are the descendants of humans and phoenixes. They appear much like humans in most regards, but possess a few particular distinguishing traits: phoe-kun have fire-red eyes and usually have patches of red or orange feathers over their shoulders. A phoe-kun stands between 5 and 6 feet tall and weighs about 150 pounds.

Phoe-kun speak Ignan.

• -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma. Phoe-kun's phoenix ancestry affords them a strong ego, but renders them more fragile.
    • Medium size: Phoe-kun, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
    • Humanoid (Human): Phoe-kun are, for all purposes related to race, human.
    • Speed: A phoe-kun's base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Phoenix's Life-Force: A phoe-kun always succeeds on Stabilization checks.
    • Fiery Inheritor: A phoe-kun takes one less point of damage per die from [Fire] attacks, and takes one extra point of damage per die from [Cold] attacks.
    • Natural Talent: A phoe-kun has a small pool of reserve energy they may tap into daily. A phoe-kun has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following abilities as an immediate action or to power a feat with the [Phoe-Kun] descriptor:
      • Fiery Wings: A phoe-kun may activate this ability as a standard action to cause large wings of flame to erupt from their back. These wings provide a fly speed (with average maneuverability) equal to the phoe-kun's land speed and last for a number of minutes equal to the phoe-kun's Charisma modifier (minimum 1 minute).
      • Flamewreath: A phoe-kun may activate this ability as an immediate action after being hit and damaged by a melee attack. The phoe-kun momentarily bursts into a ring of flames, dealing 1d6 + the phoe-kun's Charisma bonus points of fire damage to everyone within five feet. If the enemy who damaged the phoe-kun is standing more then five feet away from him but struck the phoe-kun with a natural weapon, he is also damaged by this effect. For each three character levels the phoe-kun possesses, increase the damage by 1d6.
      • Blistering Empowerment: A phoe-kun may spend an immediate action while casting a spell with the [Fire] descriptor or weaving a spell with the Fire seed. If they do so, the spell deals one extra point of fire damage per die.
    • Automatic Languages: Ignan. Bonus Languages: Common, Auran, Elven.
    • Favored Class: Bladeweaver.

and before you ask, the answer to your question is "yes."
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-08-18 at 03:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [d20r, Race] Phoe-Kun

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    and before you ask, the answer to your question is "yes."
    The answer to "what's my question again?" is "yes?"

3. - Top - End - #3

Question? What question?
    -- The Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Elite View Post
    Question? What question?
    This question. Phoe was an immense help back at the start of the d20r project, and I thought I'd thank her somehow.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes, that question. Whether these were named after the user...
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I like the wings idea, but I really think that one of the others should be replaced with something that can only be used once per encounter that brings you from the negatives up to 1 hp. Please? It's just so much more Phoenix-ey than either of the other two powers. You could call it rise from the ashes.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlWiPig View Post
    I like the wings idea, but I really think that one of the others should be replaced with something that can only be used once per encounter that brings you from the negatives up to 1 hp. Please? It's just so much more Phoenix-ey than either of the other two powers. You could call it rise from the ashes.
    I was thinking some kind of death-cheating ability like this should be a high-level racial feat.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    I was thinking some kind of death-cheating ability like this should be a high-level racial feat.
    ...based on the charge mechanic. I can see that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This question. Phoe was an immense help back at the start of the d20r project, and I thought I'd thank her somehow.
    My first reaction on seeing the title was "So Phoe gets her own race? Good deal."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I believe a certain subrace gets it automatically, the Bro-Kun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Perhaps part of a feat chain, probably with another feat alongside it involving spontaneous combustion of some sort. Maybe like this:

Death By Fire

When this Phoe-Kun takes damage to the point of being below positive hit points, they catch fire and deal damage equal to that of natural fire (1d10, maybe additional 1d10 per X points of investiture). If they are dealt damage to the point of death after that they are already on fire they explode in a ball of fire dealing damage equal to a Fireball spell with caster level equal to the Phoe-Kuns class level. The Phoe-Kun is immune to damage dealt from this ability.
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Racial feats!

Blistering Retribution [Phoe-Kun]
    Prerequisites: Charisma 15, Spellweaving, access to the Fire seed; or Charisma 15, ability to cast at least two spells with the [Fire] descriptor

Benefit: When you are damaged by an attack or spell, you may spend a natural talent charge as an immediate action to cast a spell you have prepared with a casting time of less than 1 standard with the [Fire] descriptor. Alternatively, you may weave a spell with your spellweaving ability, but must use the Fire seed in its effects. In either instance, the spell must target or include the creature that damaged you within its area of effect.

You gain one natural talent charge per day.

From The Brink Of Death [Phoe-Kun]
    Prerequisites: Charisma 15, 3rd level

Benefit: When you are reduced to zero or fewer hit points, you may spend a natural talent charge as an immediate action to immediately heal 1d8 points of damage, plus 1d8 points for each three levels you possess. If, after this healing, your hit points are below zero but not enough to kill you, you may spend another natural talent charge on your following turn as a standard action to regain another 1d8 points of damage, plus 1d8 for each three levels you possess.

Phoenix Inheritor [Phoe-Kun]
    Prerequisites: Charisma 15, BAB +3

Benefit: Upon selecting this feat, choose one of the following options:
    • Extra damage dealt from your class features (such as Ambush, Strafe, Lucky Shot, or Sneak Attack) is converted to fire damage. You may activate or deactivate this ability as a swift action.
    • Your melee and ranged weapon attacks deal an additional 1d6 fire damage.
    • Spells you cast with the [Fire] descriptor or weave with the Fire seed deal an additional point of fire damage per die.
    • Your aura effect (such as that produced by a paladin's Mantle of Faith or a warlord's Auras) that produces a morale, sacred, or competence bonus to allies within its area of effect increases that bonus by 1.

Special: You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you do, you gain an additional natural talent charge and select a different option.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-08-18 at 05:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

They are not stolen from Tolkien, that's always good for a race. It could really use some more language options or just change it to "typical languages", there is no real reason a race can only learn languages from a small list from their background without special training (skill points/class levels).

14. - Top - End - #14

I think it's a fabulous idea. My only quibble is with the Flamewreath ability. The current wording means that you don't deal damage against enemies using natural attacks with reach, which doesn't make sense if they have to reach into the Phoe-Kun's wreath of fire to hit them.

Also, an 18th level Phoe-Kun deals 7d6 + Cha bonus damage per attack that hits him for a round, and he can do this six times per day. That's quite strong for a racial ability.

Perhaps something like this may be a better:

Flamewreath: A phoe-kun may activate this ability as an immediate action after being hit and damaged by a melee attack. The phoe-kun momentarily bursts into a ring of flames, dealing 1d6 + the phoe-kun's Charisma bonus points of fire damage against everyone within five feet of him. If the enemy who damaged the phoe-kun is standing more then five feet away from him but struck the phoe-kun with a natural weapon, he is also damaged by this effect. For each three character levels the phoe-kun possesses, increase the damage by 1d6.

I think limiting it to one attack and making it effect everyone within 5 feet (hurts mooks, but potentially hurts allies) balances it out. You could then add a racial feat that improves it, if you so desired.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    I think it's a fabulous idea. My only quibble is with the Flamewreath ability. The current wording means that you don't deal damage against enemies using natural attacks with reach, which doesn't make sense if they have to reach into the Phoe-Kun's wreath of fire to hit them.

Also, an 18th level Phoe-Kun deals 7d6 + Cha bonus + 7 points from Fiery Inheritor damage per attack that hits him for a round, and he can do this six times per day. That's quite strong for a racial ability.

Perhaps something like this may be a better:

Flamewreath: A phoe-kun may activate this ability as an immediate action after being hit and damaged by a melee attack. The phoe-kun momentarily bursts into a ring of flames, dealing 1d6 + the phoe-kun's Charisma bonus points of fire damage to against everyone within five feet of him. If the enemy who damaged the phoe-kun is standing more then five feet away from him but struck the phoe-kun with a natural weapon, he is also damaged by this effect. For each three character levels the phoe-kun possesses, increase the damage by 1d6.

I think limiting it to one attack and making it effect everyone within 5 feet (hurts mooks, but potentially hurts allies) balances it out. You could then add a racial feat that improves it, if you so desired.
    Good call. *edits*

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I really like this race. Has nice flavor and is different from many out there.

This reminds me of a race I made around such an ability. Ended up needing to make it LA +1.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

17. - Top - End - #17

I wonder how Phoenixes breed with humans. Sounds a bit odd. And possibly painful.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Golden-Esque View Post
    I wonder how Phoenixes breed with humans. Sounds a bit odd. And possibly painful.
    A Wizard Did It.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

A Wizard Did It.
    With a Phoenix?

I suppose mages are more kinky than I thought.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

A Wizard Did It.
    I assume 'it' refers to the Phoenix?

Edit: Blast! Ninja'd
    Last edited by Emong; 2009-08-18 at 06:44 PM.

CLICK MAH EGGS/DRAGONS!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Wizards: putting the "poly" in polymorph since 1e.

22. - Top - End - #22

A Wizard Did It.
    Interesting that the sperm / egg isn't altered by the Polymorph spell like the rest of the body is in most cases, eh?

Anyway, considering I said nothing constructive in my last post, here's my two cp.

The idea for a phoenix-esque race is cool. Really, really cool. I'm not a huge fan of the wings, but the bonus damage to fire spells and the ring of fire effect is interesting. Constitution is an odd thing to have a penalty to, since Phoenixes are some of the most resilient creatures in myths, with the famous ability to resist death itself via reincarnation. In my opinion, you couls better capture the Phoenix qualities in the character if you increase the level adjustment to +1 and give it more fun abilities. An ability where the Phoe-Kin could reincarnate itself would be a fun piece of fluff.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I suppose mages are more kinky than I thought.
    And human mages are the worst of them all.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting that the sperm / egg isn't altered by the Polymorph spell like the rest of the body is in most cases, eh?
    I think it's likely not so much that it doesn't change with the polymorph spell, but that it changes back when they do (at least their portion of it). And if it just so happens that the egg is already fertilized, well, then stuff happens.

Constitution is an odd thing to have a penalty to, since Phoenixes are some of the most resilient creatures in myths, with the famous ability to resist death itself via reincarnation. In my opinion, you could better capture the Phoenix qualities in the character if you increase the level adjustment to +1 and give it more fun abilities. An ability where the Phoe-Kin could reincarnate itself would be a fun piece of fluff.
    I agree more with Fax on the Con. I've always thought of phoenixes as not being particularly resilient, but having good regenerative ability (even such they can return from death). Also, it might be an interesting ability (and not too overpowering) if you made it so that if they had the ability to cast resurrection, true resurrection, or some similar spell, have the components on them and are dead, then they can cast the spell from beyond death on themselves with it also gaining the fire subtype and covering their remains in flames, destroying any nonmagical non fire resistant gear they have on them (may require that it be done within a day or two of death).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

25. - Top - End - #25

A Wizard did it.

I agree that a Con penalty is a good idea for this race. It's racial abilities are far more useful and interesting then any other non-homebrew race I can think of except maybe the Dragonborn, Hellbred, and Neraph. Con penalty balances it out, and fits thematically.

Also, there's already the feat Fearless Destiny (Races of Destiny pg 152). Once per day when you are reduced to -10 or fewer hit points, you are instead reduced to -9 and stable. Can't remember if it has a racial requirement. I'm definitely in favor of the fiery explosion + healing when killed racial feats proposed.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Yep, actually it requires you to be human, so Phoe-kun qualify.

I think it still requires one or two other feats as pre-reqs, though - the other "destiny" feats from the same book.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

27. - Top - End - #27

Beholder

A Wizard Did It.
    Self-rezzing minions? Who wouldn't want that?

Though the end result does not have that power.

I am not a big fan of those wings. Fly 30ft. (Average) at level 1 is pretty strong.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    Self-rezzing minions? Who wouldn't want that?

Though the end result does not have that power.

I am not a big fan of those wings. Fly 30ft. (Average) at level 1 is pretty strong.
    ...once a day for all of one to four minutes.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I like it...VERY flavorful...and the picture is awesome!!!! *heart*

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, the wings are my favorite racial power. They make sense thematically, they're useful without being overpowering, and they're badass. I mean, just look at the picture.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show