Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Anime/General Discussion: Paradox Thread

The old thread hit 50 pages, so...

Shiny new thread!

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    Unfortunately, he counts as "Plain" in anime standards, what with having that scruffy little beard and his crew-cut.

Also from what I've heard of Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero, the developers have apparently started taking notes from Kayin Nasaki on how to piss off players.

Oh and Endurance Run is officially on the Normal Ending track it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    Good. The bad ending sucks royally, and it's way too easy to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Well, I'm watching Baccano! at the moment...

Initial impressions haven't been that great, unfortunately. The first bit of philosophizing between Carol and the Vice President kinda went over my head, and listening to Isaac and Maria makes me ill (which is a shame, since I really liked Isaac's VA in Trigun). I found Nice and Jacuzzi to be interesting, and in fact they were the reason why I gave the series a try in the first place (though I have trouble believing that Jacuzzi is a real name, and even if it's true it's still a major case of Narm for me), but aside from that, I haven't been all that impressed.

Maybe it gets better as it goes on?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Anime/General Discussion: Paradox Thread

By the way, lord of rapture is looking for new things to watch, so

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    It's been a while since I nag you guys, so...

Macross for missile massacre and space musical. Macross F of course, but the original macross is awesome if you can stand old animation and occasional QUALITY. DYRL if you want to see the abridged version of the original series, and one of the best old school animation ever (I'm talking about the pictures. I can hardly believe it's made in the 80s), Plus and Zero OVA if you want to have some taste of it first.

Planetes for hard sci fi. Only thing that can make trash collecting serious business.

Patlabor, for police procedural drama disguised as mecha series. Though if you're expecting HARD robot sci fi, the anime isn't as hard as the manga. The anime occassionally got fantastic episodes.
    and this thread's reference has just flew over my head
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Zombie

So what was the topic/context of the original thread? What was the discussion about? Anime that creates a real-world paradox, or anime that is focused on a paradox? Anime that has a paradox created within it, that is totally ignored within the anime itself as if it didn't happen?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

The bad, bad end or the totally bleh nonending, bad end? I only saw the latter of those, but it is boring, rather than as terrible as the bad ending is said to be.

About Baccano, the philosophizing is basically just nonsense by characters as eccentric as the rest of the cast. Also the show isn't exactly meant to be taken seriously and if it was it would fail spectacularly, Jacuzzi's name is one of the less absurd things in the show. Also how can you not like Isaac and Miria? They are hilarious.

As for what the old thread was about, basically anything regarding anime that people felt like talking about. Apparently this includes the Persona series of video games. As for the name of the thread, we are just going with the idiosyncratic naming pattern of the General Anime Discussion threads. The first three went through the names of the three seasons of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha for example and the next one was named after Turn A Gundam.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Also the show isn't exactly meant to be taken seriously and if it was it would fail spectacularly, Jacuzzi's name is one of the less absurd things in the show.
    Really? I tend to assume that, if the show isn't obviously comedy from the get go, it's supposed to be a serious show.

Also how can you not like Isaac and Miria? They are hilarious.
    Eh, I just find them to be obnoxious and gratingly silly.

Edit: No one's gotten the thread name reference yet? I'm surprised.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2009-08-18 at 10:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Carol and the Vice President being ridiculously over the top as they say complete and utter nonsense should have tipped you off.

In any case it is a series that runs on rule of cool, weird humor and the core insanity of the characters. The silliness of Isaac and Miria is an example of this insanity, though they are still quite a few levels below Ladd, Vino and the other true lunatics in that regard.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Carol and the Vice President being ridiculously over the top as they say complete and utter nonsense should have tipped you off.
    I guess it was so over the top that it went over my head, too. *rimshot*

Unfortunately, I have a poor sense of BS, so whenever someone philosophizes, it takes me a painfully long time to figure out whether or not they're being serious.

In any case it is a series that runs on rule of cool, weird humor and the core insanity of the characters. The silliness of Isaac and Miria is an example of this insanity, though they are still quite a few levels below Ladd, Vino and the other true lunatics in that regard.

Eh, I guess we'll see. At the moment, though, I'm put off by all the point-of-view switching. I didn't mind it quite as much in a certain anime movie that I once saw since the switching was between a handful of characters that I already knew well, but Baccano's habit of frequently changing between a fairly large cast is...eh.

Edit: The portrayal of the black characters in Episode 3 made me go a little bit.

Edit 2: However, Firo's excellent fight scene later in the episode made me go

Edit 3: Fridge Logic for Episode 6...

Spoiler
    Show

If the conductors are dead...who's using the train whistle?
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2009-08-18 at 10:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I can also recommend Macross in general, particularly DYRL (movie retelling of the first series), Macross Plus (OVA) and Macross Zero (OVA, THRUST VECTORING RULES THE SKIES!)

SDF Macross (the original series) is good in spite of the ridiculously dated animation, and Macross 7 gets good, it just has a lot of technical issues and one of the least likeable non-villain protagonists ever, as well as a very repetitive first 11-12 episodes. Haven't seen Macross Frontier, but it looks like it'd be pretty awesome, and I'll get to it after Seven, which I'm 33/49 episodes through (up to the point where their music has taken the form of strangely nonlethal lasers. Yeah).
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I enjoyed most of VOTOMS so I'll suggest that.

Unrelated but I just grabbed the Umineko OP single and all the other songs by the artist. BEEEEATRIIIIICEEE!!!
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2009-08-19 at 01:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Reposting my last post here, answering Hanzo about Prinny...

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Actually, most of the game is pretty easy if you don't try to play in Hell's Finest. You die and such, of course, because there are some evil things, but you have one thousand lives. You can afford losing a couple scouting. They're Prinnies, after all . I reached the end level with 930 Prinnies left easily. So the game isn't frustrating at all...

And then you reach the goddamned final boss. Its attacks are really simple, and pretty dodgeable if you play carefully. What's the problem then? Well, the problem is that the dude needs three time a many hits to fall down as any other boss and can't be stunned (so you have to kill him by chipping away at his life nanometer by nanometer), but the three-minute time limit of every other boss stays. So you have to play extremely aggressive to beat him, and so chances are you'll die trying to get those extra blows in to beat the timer.

Not to mention that since you need to press the attack button for each hit, and you should be doing then like a machinegun, I was longing for a damn turbo function very soon, because my thumb hurt.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    So what was the topic/context of the original thread? What was the discussion about? Anime that creates a real-world paradox, or anime that is focused on a paradox? Anime that has a paradox created within it, that is totally ignored within the anime itself as if it didn't happen?
    The topic of the previous five(?) threads was "anime".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

By the way, lord of rapture is looking for new things to watch, so
    I stopped reading when you said Macross.

I hate Macross.

I HATE, HATE, Macross.

HATEEEE.

Sorry about that Fri, but I really need to express my hatred for the franchise.
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

13. - Top - End - #13

Alright.

It seems that this thread, no, this site, won't be big enough for the two of us.

You hate one piece AND macross? Man! If this is real life I'd have to kill you in the spot!

Aanway, you've explained your dislike on one piece (basically it's related with your 'wh40k is serious' view, right?) so, care to explain why you don't simply hate macross, but hate, hate, hate it?
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Alright.

It seems that this thread, no, this site, won't be big enough for the two of us.
    Katanas at dawn. 20 paces, no armor, no items, Final Destination, no other weapons.

Expect much drama, but only one swing of the sword.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alright.

You hate one piece AND macross? Man! If this is real life I'd have to kill you in the spot!

Aanway, you've explained your dislike on one piece (basically it's related with your 'wh40k is serious' view, right?) so, care to explain why you don't simply hate macross, but hate, hate, hate it?
    Um, I explained why I hate One Piece. Macross is like that with mecha instead of pirates and, ugghh, musical numbers that aren't from Les Mis.

Can't Japan make anything lighthearted right? It's gotten to the point that the Touhou project and Haruhi series is much better when in the hands of crazy fans.
    Last edited by Lord of Rapture; 2009-08-19 at 09:02 AM.
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    After looking through his Wikipedia Article..... nope, sorry. Recognized very few of those characters, like Chiyo-chichi and Vicious, but not nearly as many as Rie Kugimiya.

Same. 'Fraid not.
    It's not that they're in that many shows, but rather that their voices are very distinctive and so it's easy to recognize them when they do appear.

In other words, not recognizing the roles the actor played makes sense, what would be surprising is knowing the roles and not realizing they were the same actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Rapture View Post
    Can't Japan make anything lighthearted right?
    "Right", or "how I like it"?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Katanas at dawn. 20 paces, no armor, no items, Final Destination, no other weapons.

Expect much drama, but only one swing of the sword.
    Ah. A la Bleach.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Ah. A la Bleach.
    Nope. Bleach has too much flying around and blowing people up with magical powers. I mean Single Stroke Battles, Samurai Champloo style.

19. - Top - End - #19

I mean Single Stroke Battles, Samurai Champloo style.
    I

But

Seven Samurai

C'mon

20. - Top - End - #20

Um, I explained why I hate One Piece. Macross is like that with mecha instead of pirates and, ugghh, musical numbers that aren't from Les Mis.

Can't Japan make anything lighthearted right? It's gotten to the point that the Touhou project and Haruhi series is much better when in the hands of crazy fans.
    I never thought that Macross is light hearted, (except macross 7 of course, but it's a failed G Gundam sibling) but it's your taste.

It's one of the few anime that shown onscreen death of important characters in the west as robotech anyway.

Oh, and I remember something else. You also dislike sayonara zetsubou sensei! rarh!

Eh, anyway, My other two recommendation were Planetes and Patlabor. But I guess they're also not as grimdark as your liking though (I'm saying that without the tiniest amount of sarcasm).
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-08-19 at 11:13 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I

But

Seven Samurai

C'mon
    Never seen it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Um, I explained why I hate One Piece. Macross is like that with mecha instead of pirates
    Never seen it.
    I'm in despair. This thread has left me in despair!

Have you at least seen The Magnificent Seven, CBS?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Funny thing...I'm actually in a Pbp here as part of a The Seven Samurai game (except that we only have 6 people, so it's more like The Six Samurai).

I've never seen the original Seven Samurai, or Samurai 7, or The Magnificent Seven, or any movie or anime series with the number 7 in it.

Are you in despair?
    Are you in despair?
    Are you in despair, honored forum members?1

1Anyone who posts the exact reference (that is, not just the show but also who said it, why, and in what context) gets a big internet cookie.

Edit: I forgot to mention...I don't exactly watch a whole lot of anime, especially the ones that you guys frequently talk about. Haruhi? Never seen it, though I've read the light novels. MAcross? Nope. Any Gundam whatsoever, aside from a really old animated film that I saw when I was in grade school? Nope.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2009-08-19 at 11:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Edit 3: Fridge Logic for Episode 6...

Spoiler
    Show

If the conductors are dead...who's using the train whistle?
    You will find out later. And it will probably be a huge WTF moment.

I liked Baccano a lot. In spite of what seems like a serious, dark premise, it's actually a show that runs on crazy and epic hamminess, without losing any style despite of that. Lots of well-written characters too, and most of the protagonists are way more sympathetic than professional criminals ever should be. And the soundtrack is awesome.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

LoR doslikes a lot of things it seems, though it's kind of hart for me to make a guess what his likes/dislikes are based upon... Thing with light hearted series is... probably except for something like Azumanga or over the top stuff as Excel most anime/manga try to get in a plot which leads to some tension and crying and stuff... Can't think of many series which do not have any of that. (if I've guessed right what you were complaining about, probably not)

Also, I don't really get the reference in the new title, sorry. Due to (almost) actual events I'd have gone for 'Endless Anime' or something... but maybe that'd have invoked too much rage on some people's side.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I assumed it was a Kara no Kyoukai reference.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I assumed it was a Kara no Kyoukai reference.
    Partly...

"Anime/General Discussion" = Fate/Stay Night

"Paradox Thread" = "Paradox Spiral", from Kara no Kyoukai.

What do you mean I like Nasu works?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The Kara no Kyoukai movies feel like a huge waste of money and animation skill to me. The best parts of them have only been ok to me. The novels/short stories were fine in text format though.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2009-08-19 at 12:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

But seriously, what the hell is the similarity between Macross and One Piece, other than both of them initially got a really terrible localization?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Damn it, I was going to make the new thread, and reference Fate/Stay Night!

Oh well. 13_CBS, your not having seen anything Seven Samurai-derived doesn't cause me to despair. I was just baffled to see something as recent as Samurai Champloo used as the example for a single-stroke duel - I had thought Seven Samurai (or older works/tales!) were the standard for that whether you'd seen them yourself or not.