New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Xenotheurgy: Far Realms magic system

From what I can tell, among the group he's playing with on whether or not to allow it.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup, Originally The Dm was going to let me play it and if it turned out broken or cheesy I would be subject to blue lightning. but then someone reviewed it and said
    Spoiler
    Show

"I started to summarize this "class" for easy reading, but I got tired of it. I included only the mechanics of each abillity (exluding the eye-numbing fluff). Even unfinished, it still gets the point across, I think.

From what I can see, this class lets you do everything that any other class can generally do, and on top of that it has a plethora of bonuses and abilities that are just for its class. (The bard class is supposed to be 'jack of all trades', which is why it is relatively weaker in all areas. However, this xeno "class" takes this and blows it way out of balance. And then it adds a lot more on top of that.)

d6 for hit points
    BAB progresses at "average" rate (as a cleric, bard, rogue, druid, etc)

Murmurs-- have access to 3 "murmurs" at 1st level (and more at each level), each murmur having 7 levels of power, and you can have only 3 murmurs active a time ... and other than that, I can't tell what they do

"You pay a steep price for the power that they wield, however. You requires two extra hours of sleep or meditation each night. Furthermore, you cannot be brought back from the dead by any means, including divine intervention." (Abriel: Wow, that's a real steep price. Totally balances things out.... Are you kidding?)

Disturbances--no game mechanics, just fluff

Breaches--again, like the Murmurs, there's a lot about the mechanics (DCs, saves, etc.) of a breach, but there's nothing about what they do

Incursions--same as murmurs and breaches, lot of class mechanics, but no game effect that I can see (I'm assuming this has been left out or something)

Pull from Beyond: stay alive even below -10 hp, an additional -5 hp per breach level (for example, -40 hp at 6th-level breaches)

Unearthly Will: gain the Unnatural Will bonus feat

Subverted Insanity: a certain number of times per week, gain +5 bonus on will saves for starting a breach

Never the Same: At 3rd level and then again at every odd level, gain +1 bonus on a skill. These can be stacked on a single skill. (Fluff: your body deforms some)

Bonus Feats: At 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level, gain a bonus feat (from a xeno class-specific list)

Lesser Harbinger's Mark -- At 3rd, 5th, and 7th level, choose a Lesser Mark ability
    - Mental Acuity
    - Extra Subverted Insanity
    - Martial Training: gain proficency with martial weapons, medium armor, and shields
    - A Bit of Luck: Each day, you get 2 rerolls on saving throws
    - Suppress the Voices
    - Control the Flow
    - Improved Suppression
    - True Alteration
    - Canny Xenotheurgist

Harbinger's Mark -- At 9th, 11th, and 13th level, choose another Mark ability (Harbinger or Lesser)
    - Slippery Mind:
    - Mad Skill Mastery:
    - Ignore the Voices:
    - Abundance of Luck: gain additional save rerolls per day (based on ability score modifier you use for Will saves)
    - Conscious Incursion: reduce penalty to ability/skill checks while using an Incursion by half your Xenotheurgy level
    - Incursion's Protection: While insane, or under 0 hp, or have 7th-level Murmur, you gain Damage Reduction 5/- and Energy Resistance 5 (against acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic)
    - True Transformation: +1 to any ability score
    - Emulate Magic: Use spell trigger and spell complete items at your xenotherugy level; considered to be every type of caster and have access to every spell list (wizard, cleric, bard, etc.)

Greater Harbinger's Mark -- At 15th, 17th, and 19th level, choose another Mark ability (Harbinger, Lesser, or Greater)
    - Hold off Insanity: 1 extra daily use, 2 extra weekly uses of Subverted Insanity
    - Eyes Unclouded: gain perpetual True Seeing (as the spell)
    - Hidden Anathema: gain complete protection from all forms of divination, including scrying and read thoughts, regardless of power or level or anything
    - Unhindered Incursion: no penalty on ability/skill checks while using an Incursion
    - Gift of the Far Realms: make a wish effect (no XP cost), and raise level of all active murmurs by 1
    - Wings of Heresy: grow wings with double land speed and perfect maneuverability
    - Pass on the Blessing/Curse: convert someone else to xenotheurgy
    - True Ascension: +1 to any ability score
    - Quick Alteration: quick switch of active murmurs

Otherworldy -- At 20th level, become 'outsider', gain darkvision, +2 will saves

(I'm sure I overlooked many things, but doesn't that enhance my argument? Does a class really need so much stuff that you get lost in the text"
    to which the dm responded
    I've allowed him to use the class under the condition that if xenotheurge, in actual play, is more broken then it appeared to me at first glance.
    After reading Abriel's review, however, I feel that it does look awful...over powered. And so, instead, I am subjecting the class to a vote. On monday at 9pm est, the voting will close. I'll make a poll in the main threadgroup for it.

Current vote is three for ten against with one abstainer and we have 20+ people playing. Though eight or nine of those against votes were before I posted here.
    Last edited by druid91; 2010-04-04 at 12:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The best possible way to compare what this guy is truly getting is to see what this guy gets by 20th level if you make optimal choices. Here is just the base statistics, what the class gets without its "magic".

• 6+Int mod skill points per level
    • Good Will Save
    • Medium BAB
    • d6 Hit Dice
    • Simple Weapon and Light Armor proficiency
    • Die at -40 HP
    • 9 risk-free breaches each day and 23 reduced-risk breaches each week.
    • 10 stackable +1 skill bonuses
    • 4 feats from a restricted list
    • Use spell trigger items as if a caster of your class level (counting as any given class necessary)
    • A +5 bonus to one ability score (ideally your highest mental ability score)
    • A Miracle/Wish 1/week (XP cost now included)
    • Become an outsider with darkvision and everything.

And here are the basic mechanics of your "spellcasting" in 4 parts:

1. Disturbances
    • No real effect other than looking eerie and tipping off others to your existance.
    • Suppressing them hurts your Will saves, which is really bad for the class.

2. Murmurs
    • You gain murmurs as you level up.
    • Only 3 may be active at a time.
    • Each murmur grants a set of breaches.
    • Murmurs increase in level as you use breaches (see below) and gradually decrease in level on their own.
    • As they level up, murmurs grant penalties and benefits.
    • When one levels up too high, you fall comatose and use all incursions simultaneously for a long time.

3. Breaches
    • Supernatural abilities with unorthodox save DCs (not 10 + 1/2 level + xxx modifier) usable "at will" (see below).
    • You can use more powerful breaches as you level up.
    • You can only use breaches of active murmurs.
    • You can only use a breach if its murmur's level is equal or higher.
    • Even though they are usable at will, using murmurs requires Will Saves to avoid increasing your murmur's level.
    • The DC for said saving throw increases over time, as do the save DCs of your murmurs (at a slower rate).
    • Breaches are more powerful when at low hit points.

4. Incursions
    • Supernatural powers with limited strength but tremendous areas, emanating from you.
    • Often serve as double edged sword, being dangerous to both friends and foe.
    • Each incursion has a "core", a smaller area closer to you with greater strength.
    • When knocked unconscious, rendered insane, or when your murmur's level raises to 7, all incursions that you possess activate.
    • You gain 1 incursion per murmur.
    • Incursions last 24 hours when used normally and can't be ended prematurely.
    • Incursions may activate involuntarily if you go too long without using any.

And so, some concluding notes.

1. The class itself (without magic) is an almost-decent support class on its own (albeit one without offense) as it needs something to do without taking huge risks.
    2. Needing more sleep and permanent death were never intended as serious balancing measures, merely as fluff.
    3. The stronger that a breach is, the closer that you have to be to the edge of sanity just to use it. This is why 6th level breaches are a bit stronger than what may be expected.
    4. Even if the class itself is okay, it may not be suitable for the campaign. As noted in the thread, incursions can be amazingly disruptive for delicate story-lines or campaigns of political intrigue. It is more intended for sandbox campaigns or sequential mission campaigns than for epic-quest campaigns.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-04-04 at 02:31 AM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Yup, Originally The Dm was going to let me play it and if it turned out broken or cheesy I would be subject to blue lightning. but then someone reviewed it...
    I must say that the review was kind of sucky, I mean, if you don't even read through the entire class, and try to understand what it does, then it's not really a review, is it?

And, if this is called OP, then I assume that you play without Wizards/Sorcerers/Clerics/Druids/Any casters.

Seriously. It's a great system, very flavorful and a good class. However, if people don't take enough time to carefully judge it, then it might look OP. But so does the monk.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

I actually playtested it and it was very balanced, even if you are one lucky son of a . . . gun. I loaded up on things to increase my Will saves, and i still lost control some of the time.

I really liked the roleplaying part of it to, the character acted as the cautious, pesimistic character and dark hero. Let me tell you it was fun, but not overpowered

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Sandbox game, They even have a system where some players can start at higher levels than others but can't Simply crush those who chose to start at lvl 1. We have 4, At last count, Gnomish wizards/ tinkerers. we have a half dragon and a truenamer. The thing I find funny about this whole thing is that no-one has objected to the incursions, Even after I posted them. they were more worried with a "full caster" with high hit points and access to a bunch of abilities.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ugh...

Seriously, point out the Favored Soul to them.

Higher Hit Points
    All Good Saving Throws
    Similar proficiencies
    Full Caster

Tell them that your class features probably amount to the following:
    10 stackable +1 skill bonuses (each applied to a single skill)
    +5 to one stat
    5 feats (one of which is preselected)
    Die at -40 HP
    +2 Skill Points per level
    Use spell completion items
    Wish or Miracle 1/week
    Become an outsider
    Use your abilities more safely 9/day and with less risk 23/week

That's it. That's all that you get by level 20. You can get a couple more/different abilities if you make other choices but this is the most optimal build.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Just thought I would say that I am about to play this class, and that it will be my first game of DnD EVAR.

Also, grats on the awesome class and all the work put into it. Here's hoping that we one day see it entirely finished! =3
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #159
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    someone reviewed it and said
    Someone's an idiot then. Seriously. Read through the Breaches - they are not as strong as spells. Seriously. They come at high cost, and the effects are never as strong. The basic stats are average. Someone just doesn't know what is actually potent in D&D, and what is not. The most powerful feature mentioned is the -40 HP thing, and that comes at 6th level Breaches - which you only get if you are very close to completely losing it. Seriously, being at 6th level is insanely dangerous, a failed Will save to use your own class features could easily kill you.

Argh, I hate stupid people.

10. - Top - End - #160

Thread necromancy? No? Good.

I read through a bit of fluff and mechanics, but will take a few to read it all.

First impression: EXCELLENT work! I'd honestly love to see this as a splatbook of it's own.

Second impression: I really want to run a Far Realms/Dreamscape campaign.

Third impression: True Xenotheurgist+this class = scary beyond reason
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matar View Post
    Just thought I would say that I am about to play this class, and that it will be my first game of DnD EVAR.

Also, grats on the awesome class and all the work put into it. Here's hoping that we one day see it entirely finished! =3

Your first game of D&D? Hey, you never mentioned that! In that case, write me any time you need rules help or something, okay?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-05-26 at 07:04 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

I like, but I think the complaints about it being way too easy to off your self with your own class abilities seems to ring true from what I read. Also given the terrible risks you are taking, the incursions/breaches might need a little bump in power. All and all though I think really like it. Well thought out, and deliciously convoluted mechanics. Actually kindof reminds me of my anarchomancer (in my sig). Not as random, but does have some amusing chances to blow up freinds or heal the badguy.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Banned

I'm playing in a game as an Afflicted Xenotheurge, with the Eternal Anathema Murmur, and... yeah, it's pretty underwhelming.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm about to play a True Xeno. So I'll tell you how I feel about it once the games start.

I'm mostly worried about the whole "Risk VS Reward" thing. I hope this doesn't turn into a class that's all "I can do some okay things, but I need to kick myself in the balls each time D:".

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

I just reformatted one of your murmurs. Here's the way I did it. Should I bother doing it to the rest of them, or do you not want it to look like this? It's easier to read/find stuff imho. I'll also fix up any mistakes in the names while I'm at it, of course.

Blasphemous Avenger

Spoiler
    Show

Breaches Level One

Spoiler
    Show

Enigmatic Strike
    Blasphemous Avenger
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Saving Throw: None

Ignoring the normal limitations of space, you can cause injury even from a long distance away.

You may make melee attacks against foes up to 50 feet away. For every 10 feet away they are beyond your reach, you take a –1 penalty to the attack roll.
    Empowerment
    You may now make melee attacks against foes up to 100 feet away and take no penalty to attack rolls for attacking distant foes in this way.

Mastery of Brutal Combat
    Blasphemous Avenger
    Duration: 10 minutes/level

You fill your mind with mad anger, your soul with forbidden energies, and your ears with dark secrets. Between all of this, you greatly empower your ability to fight.

You gain proficiency with martial weapons and a +2 insight bonus to damage rolls. For every 3 xenotheurgy levels you possess, increase this insight bonus by +1.
    Empowerment
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    You gain an insight bonus to bull rush, disarm, grapple overrun, sunder, and trip attempts equal to your insight bonus to damage rolls.

Breaches Level Two

Spoiler
    Show

Battlefield Jinx
    Blasphemous Avenger
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft/2 levels
    Target: One creature
    Duration: see text
    Saving Throw: Will partial

You tamper a bit with probability, making sure that your opponent is unlucky. Few can fully resist your jinx.

If the target fails their saving throw, they take a –2 penalty to all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks, and weapon damage rolls until the end of the encounter (or for 2 minutes if not in an encounter). If the target succeeds on their saving throw, they take a –1 penalty instead. The effects of multiple battlefield jinxes overlap. Regardless of success or failure on the saving throw, the target is unaware that anything has transpired. Any effect that can remove a curse can remove a battlefield jinx.
    Empowerment
    Saving Throw: Will partial and Will negates
    the target now takes a –4 penalty with a failed saving throw and a –2 penalty with a successful saving throw.
    At the end of the encounter (or after 2 minutes if not in an encounter), the target makes another Will save. If successful, the effect ends as normal. If the target fails, however, the battlefield jinx continues until removed. Regarldess of success or failure on the saving throw, the target is unaware that anything has transpired.

Blood-Seeking Strike
    Blasphemous Avenger
    Duration: 1 round/level

Powers of entropy fill your blade, allowing it to deal more devastating strikes.

You double the threat range of any weapon that you wield. This effect does not stack with others that increase the threat range of a weapon.
    Empowerment
    The doubling of your threat range now stacks with other effects that increase the threat range of a weapon (two doublings equal a tripling as normal). Furthermore, any weapon you wield gains the wounding property.

Breaches Level Three

Spoiler
    Show

Defenses Annuled
    Blasphemous Avenger

Your weapons stop existing in the traditional sense of the word, continuing on as mere extensions of your will. Traditional defenses do little to defend your foes

All attacks that you make are resolved as touch attacks.
    Empowerment
    Your attacks bypass more defenses and often work counter-intuitively. Your attacks also ignore any deflection or insight bonus to the target’s AC.

Reactive Form
    Blasphemous Avenger

You overlap several thousand copies of yourself within reality, one waiting to respond to any possible attack. As time goes by, you switch yourself out for whichever copy is most useful at the moment

Whenever you are attacked, you may make an attack of opportunity against the opponent. You are still limited by the number of attacks of opportunity you can make each round.
    Empowerment
    In addition to this breach’s normal effects, you may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity each round equal to half of your xenotheurgy level.

Breaches Level Four

Spoiler
    Show

Browbeat Destiny
    Blasphemous Avenger
    Duration: 1 hour or until expended

You tie up threads of fate until only the ones that you desire remain available. Fate declares that the path before you be covered in blood.

The next time that you would threaten a critical hit within this breach’s duration, you automatically confirm it. Confirming a critical hit in this way expends this breach.
    Empowerment
    In addition to this breach’s normal effects, any critical hit that this breach confirms automatically does maximum damage.

Fire from the Wound
    Blasphemous Avenger
    Saving Throw: Reflex half

You fill your blood with volatile energy. Upon exposure to the air, it explodes outwards, likely damaging your attacker

Whenever you are damaged, a burst of energy fills a 15-foot cone in a direction of your choice, dealing 4d8 damage or half that with a successful Reflex save. Despite the name of this breach, this damage is of no particular element.
    Empowerment
    The burst of energy instead deals 6d8 damage, or half that with a successful Reflex save.

Breaches Level Five

Spoiler
    Show

Essence of the Outsider
    Blasphemous Avenger

You fill your mind and body with otherworldly energies, gaining great power on the battlefield

For the duration of this breach, your base attack bonus equals your xenotheurgy level.
    Empowerment
    In addition to this breach’s normal effects, you gain darkvision out to 60 feet, your base saving throws equal half of your xenotheurgy level +2 (unless they are already superior), and you become immune to all effects that specifically target creatures of your type.

Affliction of Ineptitude
    Blasphemous Avenger
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Duration: 5 rounds
    Saving Throw: Will negates

You fill your opponent’s mint with dark whispers, keeping them from coordinating its efforts in combat properly.

If the target fails their Will save, they take a –4 penalty on bull rush, disarm, grapple overrun, sunder, and trip attempts. The target may no longer make full attacks. Furthermore, they lose any proficiency with heavy armor or with martial or exotic weapons that they may have possessed. Lastly, they may not benefit from flanking or provide flanking to an ally.
    Empowerment:
    In addition to this breach’s normal effects, if the target fails their saving throw, they take a penalty to attack rolls equal to their base attack bonus.

Breaches Level Six

Spoiler
    Show

Realization of All Futures
    Blasphemous Avenger
    Duration: See text

You look into all possible futures of your attack, including both futures in which you hit and miss. You then condense all of these possible futures into a single attack

Before the end of the next round, you can spend a full-round action to make an attack and gain every possible result. In effect, you make 20 attacks, making one attack with each possible result on the d20 (one attack with which you roll 1, one with which you roll 2, etc.). For the purpose of this attack, you cannot gain critical hits or critical fumbles (if using critical fumbles). Furthermore, a natural 20 is not an automatic hit and a natural 1 is not an automatic miss. Only attack rolls that hit deal damage to the target.
    Empowerment
    It is now possible to score critical hits using this breach (but not critical fumbles) and the natural 20 is an automatic hit. Also, each missed attack still deals 1d4 damage to the target.

Suppress Battlefield Magic
    Blasphemous Avenger
    Area: 20-foot-radius emanation, centered on you
    Duration: 1 round/2 levels

You fill the area with dampened magic, stopping certain sources of magic from functioning properly nearby.

All magic items within the area cease to function. Furthermore, spells and abilities of the healing and teleportation subschools cease to function in the area.
    Empowerment
    Area: 60-foot-radius emanation, centered on you
    This breach functions normally with the above exceptions

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

I just reformatted one of your murmurs. Here's the way I did it. Should I bother doing it to the rest of them, or do you not want it to look like this? It's easier to read/find stuff imho. I'll also fix up any mistakes in the names while I'm at it, of course.
    I have done some Excel/Regex magic to re-order all of the Breaches to be by Murmur, and could fairly easily apply the desired formatting around them, to save you the trouble.

Realms, would you be interested in this?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes, this sounds like a most excellent plan.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome!
    I love it, JOSHA AWARD!
    (A josha award is a rare honor, you should be proud if care about my opinion).
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2010-05-28 at 11:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Just thought I'd mention how I am looking forward to the reformatting =3!

20. - Top - End - #170

Nice to see that the project still lives on!
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Banned

OK, here's the first two Murmurs, Blasphemous Avenger and Called From Nothing. Each of them is formatted just like this. Let me know if you want anything changed. Since this will be too large to fit in a single post, you can get it here.

Blasphemous Avenger
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Level Breaches
    Enigmatic Strike
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 1
    Ignoring the normal limitations of space, you can cause injury even from a long distance away.

You may make melee attacks against foes up to 50 feet away. For every 10 feet away they are beyond your reach, you take a –1 penalty to the attack roll.

Empowerment
    You may now make melee attacks against foes up to 100 feet away and take no penalty to attack rolls for attacking distant foes in this way.

Mastery of Brutal Combat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 1
    You fill your mind with mad anger, your soul with forbidden energies, and your ears with dark secrets. Between all of this, you greatly empower your ability to fight.

You gain proficiency with martial weapons and a +2 insight bonus to damage rolls. For every 3 xenotheurgy levels you possess, increase this insight bonus by +1.

Empowerment
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    You gain an insight bonus to bull rush, disarm, grapple overrun, sunder, and trip attempts equal to your insight bonus to damage rolls.

2nd Level Breaches
    Battlefield Jinx
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 2
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft/2 levels
    You tamper a bit with probability, making sure that your opponent is unlucky. Few can fully resist your jinx.

If the target fails their saving throw, they take a –2 penalty to all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks, and weapon damage rolls until the end of the encounter (or for 2 minutes if not in an encounter). If the target succeeds on their saving throw, they take a –1 penalty instead. The effects of multiple battlefield jinxes overlap. Regardless of success or failure on the saving throw, the target is unaware that anything has transpired. Any effect that can remove a curse can remove a battlefield jinx.

Empowerment
    Saving Throw: Will partial and Will negates
    the target now takes a –4 penalty with a failed saving throw and a –2 penalty with a successful saving throw.At the end of the encounter (or after 2 minutes if not in an encounter), the target makes another Will save. If successful, the effect ends as normal. If the target fails, however, the battlefield jinx continues until removed. Regarldess of success or failure on the saving throw, the target is unaware that anything has transpired.

Blood-Seeking Strike
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 2
    Powers of entropy fill your blade, allowing it to deal more devastating strikes.

You double the threat range of any weapon that you wield. This effect does not stack with others that increase the threat range of a weapon.

Empowerment
    The doubling of your threat range now stacks with other effects that increase the threat range of a weapon (two doublings equal a tripling as normal). Furthermore, any weapon you wield gains the wounding property.

3rd Level Breaches
    Defenses Annuled
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 3
    Your weapons stop existing in the traditional sense of the word, continuing on as mere extensions of your will. Traditional defenses do little to defend your foes

All attacks that you make are resolved as touch attacks.

Empowerment
    Your attacks bypass more defenses and often work counter-intuitively. Your attacks also ignore any deflection or insight bonus to the target’s AC.

Reactive Form
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 3
    You overlap several thousand copies of yourself within reality, one waiting to respond to any possible attack. As time goes by, you switch yourself out for whichever copy is most useful at the moment

Whenever you are attacked, you may make an attack of opportunity against the opponent. You are still limited by the number of attacks of opportunity you can make each round.

Empowerment
    In addition to this breach’s normal effects, you may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity each round equal to half of your xenotheurgy level.

4th Level Breaches
    Browbeat Destiny
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 4
    Duration: 1 hour or until expended
    You tie up threads of fate until only the ones that you desire remain available. Fate declares that the path before you be covered in blood.

The next time that you would threaten a critical hit within this breach’s duration, you automatically confirm it. Confirming a critical hit in this way expends this breach.

Empowerment
    In addition to this breach’s normal effects, any critical hit that this breach confirms automatically does maximum damage.

Fire from the Wound
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 4
    You fill your blood with volatile energy. Upon exposure to the air, it explodes outwards, likely damaging your attacker

Whenever you are damaged, a burst of energy fills a 15-foot cone in a direction of your choice, dealing 4d8 damage or half that with a successful Reflex save. Despite the name of this breach, this damage is of no particular element.

Empowerment
    The burst of energy instead deals 6d8 damage, or half that with a successful Reflex save.

5th Level Breaches
    Affliction of Ineptitude
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 5
    Duration: 5 rounds
    You fill your opponent’s mint with dark whispers, keeping them from coordinating its efforts in combat properly.

If the target fails their Will save, they take a –4 penalty on bull rush, disarm, grapple overrun, sunder, and trip attempts. The target may no longer make full attacks. Furthermore, they lose any proficiency with heavy armor or with martial or exotic weapons that they may have possessed. Lastly, they may not benefit from flanking or provide flanking to an ally.

Empowerment
    In addition to this breach’s normal effects, if the target fails their saving throw, they take a penalty to attack rolls equal to their base attack bonus.

Essence of the Outsider
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 5
    You fill your mind and body with otherworldly energies, gaining great power on the battlefield

For the duration of this breach, your base attack bonus equals your xenotheurgy level.

Empowerment
    In addition to this breach’s normal effects, you gain darkvision out to 60 feet, your base saving throws equal half of your xenotheurgy level +2 (unless they are already superior), and you become immune to all effects that specifically target creatures of your type.

6th Level Breaches
    Realization of All Futures
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 6
    Duration: See text
    You look into all possible futures of your attack, including both futures in which you hit and miss. You then condense all of these possible futures into a single attack

Before the end of the next round, you can spend a full-round action to make an attack and gain every possible result. In effect, you make 20 attacks, making one attack with each possible result on the d20 (one attack with which you roll 1, one with which you roll 2, etc.). For the purpose of this attack, you cannot gain critical hits or critical fumbles (if using critical fumbles). Furthermore, a natural 20 is not an automatic hit and a natural 1 is not an automatic miss. Only attack rolls that hit deal damage to the target.

Empowerment
    It is now possible to score critical hits using this breach (but not critical fumbles) and the natural 20 is an automatic hit. Also, each missed attack still deals 1d4 damage to the target.

Suppress Battlefield Magic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemous Avenger 6
    Area: 20-foot-radius emanation, centered on you
    You fill the area with dampened magic, stopping certain sources of magic from functioning properly nearby.

All magic items within the area cease to function. Furthermore, spells and abilities of the healing and teleportation subschools cease to function in the area.

Empowerment
    Area: 60-foot-radius emanation, centered on you
    This breach functions normally with the above exceptions

Called from Nothing
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Level Breaches
    Call from Beyond
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 1 (Calling)
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: One called creature
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Opening a small portal into the great beyond, you call forth a weak pseudonatural animal.

This breach conjures a single corporeal psuedonatural animal with under 1 Hit Dice of the xenothuergist’s choice. This creature remains indefinitely but is under no compulsion to server you.

Empowerment
    Duration: Instantaneous and 10 minutes
    You can now summon pseudonatural animals with up to 2 Hit Dice can be conjured in this way. Furthermore, upon summoning the creature, you may mentally suggest a course of action. If the pseudonatural creature fails its saving throw, it tries to take that course of action to the best of its ability for 10 minutes or until the course of action is completed (such as killing something they were ordered to kill). The creature may be given harmful or even suicidal actions to perform in this way.

Cerebral Mist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 1 (Creation)
    Effect: Fog spreads in 10-foot radius, 10 ft. high
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Reaching into the deepest realms of insanity, you let loose a constant stream of madness, filling the air and even obscuring sight like mist.

A cloud of mist spreads outwards from the point that you designates. The fog is thin but manages to obscures sight, including darkvision, a little bit. A creature within 5 feet can be attacked normally but those farther away have concealment. Furthermore, all creatures within range take a –2 penalty to Will saves.A moderate wind (11+ mph) disperses the fog in 4 rounds; a strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round.This breach does not function underwater.

Empowerment
    Effect: Fog spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high
    Duration: 10 min./level
    The mist now resists wind actively, refusing to simply disperse. Instead, a strong or stronger wind moves the effect 10 feet per round in the direction of the wind. Also, this breach may be used underwater, creating an area of mind-warping muck.

2nd Level Breaches
    Essence of Heresy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 2 (Summoning)
    Effect: One summoned elemental
    Duration: 24 hours
    Mentally reciting a series of horrid blasphemies and awful truths, you assemble your thoughts into a horrid amalgam. This amalgam slips out of your head through your ears, nose, and eyes, ready to serve.

Using this breach, you call forth a single small heresy elemental to serve you for the duration. The heresy elemental loses its haunting secret ability but gains improved evasion and the ability to deliver touch attacks on your behalf. The small heresy elemental is completely under your control.At any given time, you may only possess one heresy elemental. Using this breach again simply replaces your previous heresy elemental.

Empowerment
    Duration: 24 hours (see text)
    The heresy elemental now possesses a hit point total equal to its normal amount or equal to half of your maximum hit points, whichever is more. Furthermore, for the purpose of spells and ability, the heresy elemental’s Hit Dice equals your own. The heresy elemental gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks.Lastly, the heresy elemental retains the haunting secret ability. When the heresy elemental uses this ability, the breach ends but the heresy elemental continues to exist, perhaps coming back to life through the haunting secret ability. If and when it returns, it is a typical free-willed small heresy elemental with none of the benefits of this breach.elemental gains +2 to attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks. Retains haunting secret ability and allows more to be summoned.

Invocation of Hatred
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 2 (Teleportation)
    Target: One living creature
    As the old saying goes, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. You open a hole in space to act upon this old adage.

The target is teleported into any unoccupied square of your choice that is adjacent to you. If there is something in that square that would prevent this teleportation (such as an invisible creature or dimensional lock effect), the breach fails.

Empowerment
    Saving Throw: Will negates or none
    If the target is within 30 feet of yourself, they are no longer entitled to a saving throw to resist. Furthermore, this effect rips the opponent directly through space rather than through dimensions, allowing you to move creatures under the effect of a dimensional anchor spell or to move them into a dimensional anchor effect.

3rd Level Breaches
    Assault from Beyond
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 3 (Creation)
    Target: One creature each round
    The material plane is dangerous for most far realms creatures for anything longer than a quick excursion. You bring a few of them out into the world just long enough to attack and vanish.

When you use this breach and at the start of each round thereafter, choose a single opponent within range of this breach. Make an attack roll against that target using your xenotheurgy level in place of your Base Attack Bonus and adding your Dexterity modifier to the roll. The attack is also made as if by an invisible creature, denying the foe their Dexterity bonus to AC and granting a +2 bonus to the attack roll. Upon a success, the target feels sharp claws rend their flesh, taking 4d6 slashing damage. Immediately after the attack, the target catches a quick glimpse of a creature covered in claws, eyes, and pseudopods. The creature quickly walks through them and vanishes once more.

Empowerment
    Effect: One creature + one additional creature/4 levels each round
    Each round, you select up to one additional creature per four xenotheurgy levels to be attacked. Each invisible force looks slightly different than all others. One creature may not be attacked multiple times in a single round.

Eerie Creation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 3 (Creation)
    Effect: Unattended, nonnmagical object of nonliving plant matter, up to 1 cu. ft./level
    Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
    Searching through the far realms with your mind, you find some item similar in nature to what you currently need. The chaotic energies in your mind imitate this object in the sane world

This breach creates a nonmagical, unattended object of nonliving, vegetable matter, as the minor creation spell. As the spell, the volume of the items created cannot exceed 1 cubic foot per caster level and you must make skill checks to make complex items. Unlike the minor creation spell, all objects created are alien in nature, with all forms of wood, fibers, and similar materials coming from no recognizable source. As such, the Appraise skill can indicate nothing about a created item other than the quality with which it was crafted. Animals are shaken while within 5 feet of such an item and plants appear to wilt a bit while within 10 feet, although they don’t actually die.

Empowerment
    Effect: Unattended, nonmagical object, up to 1 cu. ft./level
    Duration: 24 hours/level
    You can also create metallic, crystal, or stone items. As before, none of the substances used in the creation are recognizable but you may declare that a created item imitates the trait of one known metal (but not more than one per item).You can also attempt to create life, more or less crafted according to your mental design, although it never ends well. Creatures taking up 1 cubit foot of space or less skitter about for 1d4+1 rounds before exploding in a gory mess. Larger creatures lumber around for 1d4+1 rounds before silently collapsing under their own weight and dying. Regardless, created creatures have a speed of 5 feet, a number of hit points equal to your xenotheurgy level, an AC of 10, and cannot attack or take other offensive actions. They cannot provide flanking.

4th Level Breaches
    Invocation of Friendship
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 4 (Teleportation)
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Target: One willing creature
    You extend your consciousness into the world, searching for a familiar essence. Finding it, you drag it back to you through dimensional tears.

If the target is currently capable of teleportation (isn’t targeted by a dimensional anchor, isn’t within a dimensional lock, etc), they are teleported into a square of your choice that is adjacent to you. If it is for some reason impossible for the ally to be teleported into that square (such as if an invisible creature occupies that square or if it is in the area of a dimensional lock spell), the breach fails.

Empowerment
    Range: Unlimited
    You may now teleport the target from any distance away, even from other planes of existence. Furthermore, if the creature is on the same plane of existence as you, you can drag them directly through space rather than through dimensions, ignoring any effect that prevents extradimensional travel.

Koartic Mist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 4 (Creation)
    Effect: Fog spreads in 20-ft radius, 20 ft. high
    You cause a crack in the barrier between the multiverse and the far realms, causing madness to rush into our world in a nearly tangible form. Other creatures rush for the exit but they cannot seem to fully fit through the cracks.

A sickly yellow fog billows out from the point you designate. The *** obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment. Creatures further away have total concealment. Furthermore, there are dark beings residing in the fog, if only for seconds at a time. Each round that a creature remains in the fog, they take 6d6 slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning damage. With a successful Reflex save, the damage is halved for that round.A moderate wind (11+ mph) disperses the fog in 4 rounds; a strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round. If the wind ceases before the end of the breach’s duration, however, it restores itself over the course of 1d4 rounds, during which time sight is not obscured and creatures do not take damage.This breach does not function underwater.

Empowerment
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Effect: Fog spreads in 40-ft. radius, 40 ft. high
    Saving Throw: Reflex half; Will partial
    Each round, creatures within the mist must make a Will save or else they become dazed for 1 round by half-seen alien images and glimpses of horrid creatures. Other than this and the effect noted above, this breach functions normally.

5th Level Breaches
    Conjure Flesh of Zurguth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 5 (Creation)
    Effect: highly morphic fleshy mass, 10 cu. ft./level
    The far realms is in many sense like a primordial sea, a shapeless mass of infinite possibilities. You call a tangible manifestation of the far realms’ nature into the multiverse.

You create a fleshy mass that takes up 10 cubic feet per xenotheurgy level. The flesh is malleable like clay but hardens if repetitively pounded, even taking on a metallic hardness if desired. The flesh can be shaped into nearly any form desired. To determine the quality of the desired item, make a proper craft skill. Regardless of skill, however, the flesh cannot be turned into masterwork items, cannot be made into living things, cannot create liquids or gases, and cannot create items with complicated moving parts.The fleshy mass created never rots or grows mold. It also never dries out or hardens before it has been purposefully shaped and hardened.Any creature who has ever seen a Koarti is shaken while within 5 feet of an object crafted from this flesh. This flesh may be used in place of resin to protect a Koarti or even an entire enclave of the beings.

Empowerment
    Effect: highly morphic fleshy mass, 50 cu. ft./level
    You now create 50 cubic feet of the fleshy mass per xenotheurgy level. Pustules filled with potable fluids and breathable vapors trapped in the skin provide the ability to work with liquids of gases, changing the precise fluid or gas by adding trace amounts of ground solid flesh to the mix. Furthermore, you can now create masterwork items and items with complicated moving parts.

Tirade of Heresy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 5 (Summoning)
    Effect: Two or more summoned creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart.
    Saving Throw: No
    An endless stream or horrific factoids and forbidden truths form in your mind. Rising forth from these heresies, a few creatures pass forth from your body to take their place on the battlefield

You create 2d4 Large Heresy Elementals anywhere within range. They act immediately after your turn and are under your telepathic control. They lose their haunting secret ability but otherwise function normally

Empowerment
    10 minutes after using this breach, 1d4 additional Huge Heresy Elementals appear, also under your telepathic control.

6th Level Breaches
    Reawaken the Vast Gate
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 6 (Summoning)
    Area: 1 10-foot cube per level (S)
    You completely break the barrier between the sane multiverse and the far realms, letting the far realms rush in to fill a small area. All who are within it risk being driven mad.

Essence of the far realms fills the area. The area gains the wild magic trait and any creature in the area or who enter it later on must make a Will save or become permanently insane, as the insanity spell. This saving throw must be made whenever a creature enters the area, even if they leave and later return.Only one layer of the far realms in called through the breach but all creatures may move the area in all three dimensions using their highest movement speed. The timeless trait of the far realms does not apply in this area and the elemental and energy traits do not differ from that of the surrounding area. With each use of this breach, there is a 1% chance that creatures from the far realms can use this breach as a portal into the multiverse.

Empowerment
    Area: 2 10-foot cubes per level (S)
    Saving Throw: Will partial and Reflex half
    All creatures within the area take 5d6 acid damage each round (Reflex half) as the amoebic sea rips them bodily apart. In addition, any creature in the area may spend a full-round action to transport themselves to the far realms. This spell does not provide a way back into the multiverse, however.

Summon Duplicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called from Nothing 6 (Summoning)
    Effect: Temporary copy of yourself
    You reach your mind through past the multiverse, past the far realms, and into an alternate multiverse. From that realm, you grab a copy of yourself and bring them here to fight.

You create a temporary copy of yourself. The copy is equipped with masterwork copies of your magical gear (the magic of different multiverse works slightly differently). The copy acts on your round but is disoriented and may only take one standard or move action per round. Furthermore, the copy cannot use breaches, spells, psionics, or similar abilities (although it does benefit and suffer from active murmurs).You and the copy can communicate telepathically, possess the same alignment, and generally agree on most matters instantaneously. Whenever either you or your copy is dealt damage, subtract the damage from your hit point total. Whenever the level of one of your murmurs increases, the same thing occurs for your copy.At the end of this breach’s duration (or when the copy is slain), it returns to its own multiverse where it doesn’t remember any of what occurred and no time has past. The levels of their murmurs are returned to normal and all injuries are gone. There is a 1% chance with each use, however, that some sign of its battle (such as a scratch, a bad dream, or a knick in their blade) remains.

Empowerment
    The duplicate is less disoriented than normal. It may take a full round of actions each round and can use breaches. Whenever the level of a copy’s murmur increases, yours does as well.
    Last edited by DragoonWraith; 2010-05-31 at 12:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

I think we all can agree on two things.

One: That DragoonWraith is awesome.

Two: That we need a prestige class for this that turns you into a tentacle monster.

That is all.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

One: That DragoonWraith is awesome.
    Aw, thank you. Heh, I mostly did it myself for my own use with my afflicted xenotheurge, but Excel makes this kind of thing easy.

Two: That we need a prestige class for this that turns you into a tentacle monster.
    Aberrant Armorlord. I also recommend replacing the Stone Dragon discipline with the Chthonic Serpent discipline.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, that would be awesome.

PS
    Your homebrew almost makes me want to get back into 3.5, keep it up!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Aberrant Armorlord. I also recommend replacing the Stone Dragon discipline with the Chthonic Serpent discipline.
    I'm extremely tempted to learn ToB just for that, but I was more hoping for a prestige class that gave you tentacles and something neat to do with your Breaches.

Hrm, I'll get ToB regardless.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Banned

Aberrant Armorlord gives you up to 10 tentacles. That's a lot of tentacles.

Other than that, Totemists can get a few with the Kraken Mantle or whatever.

27. - Top - End - #177

We can work on one, if you want. I mean, it will be some time until you actually get to PrC levels ingame.

Anything else you'd like other than tentacles?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

We can work on one, if you want. I mean, it will be some time until you actually get to PrC levels ingame.

Anything else you'd like other than tentacles?
    Oooh, a request? For a tentacle based class? You are now the most awesome person on the forums. Sorry DragoonWraith, but tentacles win out any day of the week.

So uh... let me think.

Persuade should totally be a class skill.

Bonus to grapple, cause tentacles luv hugz.

The cap should allow you to turn into a tentacle monster. Maybe be treated as a swarm...? I dunno, just tossing out ideas.

Maybe get a custom breach? Something tentacle themed?

And, of course, lots of tentacles.

Mind, what all you give it is up to you. Those are just what makes tentacle monsters... tentacle monsters. Other things you can add are telepathy, and maybe a charm like ability? Maybe those two things can come from the custom breach, if you make one?

Again, just tossing out ideas. Totally your call. I'll be happy with any tentacle based Xenotheurgy class to be honest.

29. - Top - End - #179

Well, we can take this three basic paths:

1. Mostly Martial. With limited shapechanging for tentacles, less "magic" than the base class, perhaps a little ToB similar to the Armourlord, but mostly combat abilities with help from tentacles.

2. Mostly shapechanger. You change into a weird Far Realms monstrosity. Tentacles, eyes all over, amorphous body... basically, a list of new body features you can develop or retract. Like a warshaper or master of many forms, but a little more limited, since it has a list of things it can do.

3. Mostly caster. Full "magic" progression when compared to the Xenotheurge, but gives up secondary class features for a little shapeshifting.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd love to say make one of each and call it this ultimate tentacle pack, but I won't D:

I guess full caster. Although I plan on going into melee I'm really more interested in using breaches and stuff to help out. Plus the idea of a tentacle themed breach is too good to pass up >_>.