New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default How much XP would you earn for killing everyone inm a city?

This is a bit like boilingan anthill.
    my PC's just blew up sigil.

So i'm woundering how much XP they earned.
    I'm not going to give it to them.
    I'm considering saying you earnt X XP, you gain 1 lvl and you now gestalt.
    theres only two of them so gesthault is good.

But sigil, has what? 21 million people?
    Higher than average lvls.
    So under the 4e XP system how much should they have earned?
    i gets i could fiddle arround with some statistical distibutiong...
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: How much XP would you earn for killing everyone inm a city?

Well, it really depends on their level ... but I would just give them a level-appropriate reward for completing a Major Quest. After all, it's not like they fought each and every citizen of Sigil. They just set off a bomb.

Why did they do this again?

Also, there is no Gestalt in 4E.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2009-08-24 at 09:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

I would go with, for the kills, exactly 0 xp.

It was either too hard and they got lucky, not deserving any, or too easy and they don't earn any.

Maybe a story reward, but nothing for the kills.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

You could just go with a flat level boost. Round them all up to the same level with the flat XP amount needed for that level. That way, its a whole lot less math, a lot less time and trouble, and its fair to everybody.

Or you could try to calculate it, but even assuming all 21 million people were mooks and not even worth 1/10 of an XP point, you'll be doling out several hundred thousand XP. But a good majority of those people were guards, authority figures, veterans, mercenaries, adventurers, bounty hunters, experts in their respective fields, royalty, politicians, aristocrats, more than a few bad guys who would have been worth decent XP in a standard game... The list goes on and on. Even saying 1 million people were important enough to grant one XP point will basically level them up past any reasonable point.

Math is, as I've always claimed, evil.

Btw, make it balanced. Give 'em a level or two, just out of fairness. After all... the universe is now at war with them. Seriously. They killed 21 million people and blew up a city. SOMEBODY is gonna be pissed... They'll need all the help they can get to survive the next session, let alone campaign.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I do agree with the 0 for killing individual level 0 or level 1 commoners.
    Last edited by sadi; 2009-08-24 at 09:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Regardless of how much XP you award them, remember that they can only gain 1 level at a time for such an endeavor. If they would gain enough XP to give them 2 levels, they instead gain one level and are put to 1XP below the next level's requirements.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh, right, one more thing. Alignment shifts for everbody!

Seriously, there have to be consequences. They SHOULD be given at least one level. Usually, you give out XP in response to your PCs accomplishing something. THEY NUKED A CITY. I'd say that's an accomplishment of some sort... But still, they nuked a city. There's gotta be some sort of backlash...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

As I said in the other thread, nothing, because you pulled your punches.

When my DM pulls his punches because he thinks the third CR 16 encounter in a day will finally challenge the ECL 9 party, and I pull an obscure item that he does in fact remember giving me to pull off an obscure or odd win, he basically drops the EXP gain to nothing. ECL+7 twice, ECL +2 once, and we got halfway to 10 in a day. Frankly, I think the decision to give us basically nothing was fair all things considered. Then again, we did have 4 optimized wizards, and a duck.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2009-08-24 at 09:49 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

At this point, I would say the Lady of Pain re-appears and eviscerates the PCs no matter where they are. Rocks fall, everybody dies.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Or you could say that the whole thing was a dream, and the PC's wake up from a night of crazy drinking at some point before the whole show fell apart.

To avoid conflict, let them keep whatever levels and skills they've gained since they "dozed off." While the items they got may not be real, the experiences they had were.

I know, its anti-climactic, but its the only way to keep this campaign alive when you think about it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Not necessarily. He could simply play the lady of pain as largely incidental, rather than omnipotent on Sigil as she actually is. Of course, even then the vast majority of whoever shackled her there will probably hunt the party down and axe them.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: Read the thread, feel that my neutrality is compromised as I am in fact a Dabus. Must retract comments.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-08-24 at 09:58 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    Uhhhhhh....
    They blew up Sigil and the Lady of Pain did NOTHING?
    Seconded.... They are dead, I would think.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm just gonna say that even TO doesn't normally screw around with Sigil. I think you've made a mistake trivializing this kind of behavior, because it encourages your players to kill wantonly in future campaigns without any expectation of consequences.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I'm just gonna say that even TO doesn't normally screw around with Sigil. I think you've made a mistake trivializing this kind of behavior, because it encourages your players to kill wantonly in future campaigns without any expectation of consequences.
    May not be a problem. The lady of pain is a fairly obscure part of the game for some people. I have a buddy who thinks his god of portals would love the place for instance. My equivalent character, a mortal overdiety of philosophy is tentative trying to go there.

However, both of us realize how dangerous, for example, Asmodeus is.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2009-08-24 at 10:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

To those of us steeped in the planes, The Lady :: makes a circular gesture:: is something special. She's the one thing in D&D that you can't simply out and out kill. I've built characters that murdered major deities, helped design and implement a couple of full fledged game-breaks, and I'd never consider attacking the Lady. She threw Vecna out and killed Aoskar with nothing more than a gesture. Tore down his temples, mazed his priests, nearly annihilated the faction he represented, and killed a deity. Just smashed 'im right into the deadbook, berk. And that's the dark of that.

~Jacob of Long Winters, who swears allegiance to the G'dsmen even if they aren't a faction proper no more.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-08-24 at 10:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

To those of us steeped in planescape, The Lady :: makes a circular gesture:: is something special. She's the one thing in D&D that you can't simply out and out kill. I've built characters that murdered major deities, helped design and implement a couple of full fledged game-breaks, and I'd never consider attacking the Lady. She threw Vecna out and killed Aoskar with nothing more than a gesture. Tore down his temples, mazed his priests, nearly annihilated the faction he represented, and killed a deity. Just smashed 'im right into the deadbook, berk. And that's the dark of that.
    The Gods themselves fear the Lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    The Gods themselves fear the Lady.
    No mimir in the planes knows whence she comes from.
    The pillar of skulls pleads ignorance.
    Grazz't travels with a light step when he visits the Styx Oarsmen.
    Even the Drow behave.

If she's alive, your players are supposed to be dead. It's simple as that. Sorry, cutter.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-08-24 at 10:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Characters do not get XP for incidentally killing off large numbers of people. Start a rockslide? No, you don't get XP for the dead village at the bottom of the mountain. Kick off an international war? No, you don't get XP for each soldier which dies in it.

Now, they are probably due quite a bit of XP for setting off the calamity which destroyed Sigil. How much depends on what exactly they did. Given that all they did was Magic Mouth a guard and such, I don't see them getting much reward. Sure, a nice chunk of XP, about a level appropriate encounter or so. But a creative use of the Magic Mouth spell isn't worth 10,000,000,000 XP, no matter how extreme or chaotic the end result was. They just didn't learn that much from the encounter.

Of course, if you want the party suddenly 10 levels higher, this would be a good excuse to do so. But it really isn't worth said XP.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, whatever. Give them a massive amount of XP, have them level up their characters like five times, and then they are unceremoniously killed as a result of their actions.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Problem is, you as the DM let them destroy Sigil, of all places...

Poor DMing is not something you reward players for. Unless, of course, its by not running games anymore and letting them play for a competent DM.

22. - Top - End - #22

I said at the start:
    the will gain one lvl and become [4e] gestault.

But just for the fun of maths:
    if they had egaged every citizen in one to one combat.
    How much XP?

Please leave comments regarding the realism, or the consiques to this thread (linked at start)
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxinabox View Post
    I said at the start:

How much XP?

Please leave comments regarding the realism, or the consiques to this thread (linked at start)
    You're asking us to estimate the experience that twenty-one million people would give your group. We have no way of knowing the various challenge ratings and ratios involved, from the lowly level one commoner to the level twenty (and perhaps beyond) wizards there. There's no "fun" in this math. It's speculation at best, and pure mindless tedium at worst.
    Last edited by Gnorman; 2009-08-24 at 11:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by oxinabox View Post
    I said at the start:

How much XP?

0, plus you'd all be dead by the time you finished resolving the first major zone.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2009-08-24 at 11:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

To those of us steeped in the planes, The Lady :: makes a circular gesture:: is something special. She's the one thing in D&D that you can't simply out and out kill. I've built characters that murdered major deities, helped design and implement a couple of full fledged game-breaks, and I'd never consider attacking the Lady. She threw Vecna out and killed Aoskar with nothing more than a gesture. Tore down his temples, mazed his priests, nearly annihilated the faction he represented, and killed a deity. Just smashed 'im right into the deadbook, berk. And that's the dark of that.

~Jacob of Long Winters, who swears allegiance to the G'dsmen even if they aren't a faction proper no more.
    Yeah.

She's the one deity that Pun-Pun speaks of reservedly.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you think I could sucker someone into running a planescape game? I miss playing.

27. - Top - End - #27

Do you think I could sucker someone into running a planescape game? I miss playing.
    I was thinking of running one for my friends. Just a little one-off thing, but a nice change of pace from the Eberron we always play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Obviously they get about 21 million times the xp for a basic human minion. So thats what more than enough for 30? And then the lady kills them. And resurrects everyone else. And rebuilds sigil. (Can she do that, or is she a strictly breaking stuff person?) Don't blow up sigil.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

XP is gained by overcoming challenges. How challenging was it to blow up Sigil? Base the XP on that.

Remember, you can kill things and not earn XP (such as swatting a mundane mosquito, or knifing a baby). And you can gain XP without killing things (such as surviving a trap). It's all about challenge.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

30. - Top - End - #30

Daemon

Berk, to give you the dark of it:

Your players are dead.
    The entire multiverse wants them dead, this includes the lady of pain, several major deities and devils/demons.

Giving them XP is not neccasary.

However if you do wish to not kill them, give them a level, if nothing else then just because it's such a major event.
    Then you can play with them for a little bit as they should dread every single second they are alive.