New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

eek Mommy, where do Centaurs come from?

So I'm doing some worldbuilding, and I have about seven "common" races. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, "lesser" Trolls, a beast-like race, and Centaurs.

The four "original" races (the humanoids: Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Orcs) are descended from four fairy brothers, who after stealing fire from the gods, were stripped of their immortality and banished to opposite sides of the world with a biblical-style flood.
    The Trolls are really a kind of half-Giant, descended from people who bred with "wild" trolls (as in, the regular sort of troll that regenerates etc), and the beasts are an ancient people whose myths pre-date the humanoids by several millenia.

That just leaves me with Centaurs, and I have no idea how they were created. I already have a half-breed (the Trolls), so I don't really want to go down that road again, but I can't think of any other way Centaurs can be made (which admittedly would make for a rather unpleasant origin myth).

So... can anybody help me come up with an origin myth for Centaurs?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mommy, where do Centaurs come from?

Drider-style divine intervention? Or just plain self-alteration? Some branch of one of the original races gave themselves horse-like bodies, for the laugh.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Cursed human who tried to appease/insult the guys too soon after banishment?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Look to the mythology of the ancient Greeks. They tend to have ridiculous, and often hilarious explanations for things.

Barring that, saw mill accident+groundbreaking experiment.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The four fairy brothers had an elder sister who did not partake in stealing the fire. But when her brothers were banished, she wanted to keep track of them all to look after them and make sure they were OK. Since the brothers now lived in all corners of the world, she spend a lot of time running from one end of the world to the other, and because of that (and being a fairy and all that) she grew extra legs to keep it up.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

+1 for curse

Medusa got her looks from a curse. Her sisters got the same looks when they asked the goddess who cursed her to "let our sister look like us".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ianuagonde View Post
    +1 for curse

Medusa got her looks from a curse. Her sisters got the same looks when they asked the goddess who cursed her to "let our sister look like us".
    that is not a valid misinterpretation.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The four fairy brothers had an elder sister who did not partake in stealing the fire. But when her brothers were banished, she wanted to keep track of them all to look after them and make sure they were OK. Since the brothers now lived in all corners of the world, she spend a lot of time running from one end of the world to the other, and because of that (and being a fairy and all that) she grew extra legs to keep it up.
    Ooh, this is probably my favorite one. :D

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    that is not a valid misinterpretation.
    And besides, they didn't ask for her to not be on fire. Or for them to not be on fire. That goddess clearly doesn't know how to DM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Mommy, where do Centaurs come from?

greek mythos. centaurs come from a drunk and cursed guy screwing a cloud.
    or was that pegasus?
    ... no pegasus came from the blood of medusa. and also: he didnt...
    GAH! DAMN YOU GREEKS!
    Yeah. I'd say go for the one about the running. it sounds really good actually... almost like a real myth.
    kudos, Kurald!
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I'm in favor of the curse idea. But it springs to mind an emo angsty centaur. So that's no good.

However, simply flip the coin, they are blessed, the chosen people of the god or horses, or maybe the horses's god of humans. Either way is fine.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

The four "original" races (the humanoids: Trolls, Elves, Dwarves and Orcs) are descended from four fairy brothers. Above them were the race of the centaurs, blessed by the gods with speed, and wit, and perfection of form.

However, some of the Centaurs felt sorry for the poor shivering fairy brothers and helped them steal fire from the gods.

Enraged at this betrayal the gods, split those centaurs in two, forming the races of man and horses. Only the pure and loyal centaurs kept their true divine form.

Since that day the cursed humans and horses have always had an affinity with each other and want to regain what they lost so that is why humans ride horses, imitating the centaurs.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

When you fight, the sword is an extension of your arm. The true swordsman can use a pair of swords as easily as chopsticks. Of course, this is a hyperbole and an ideal, rather than a goal, but no one told the horsemen that.

There were those who took it far too literally.

Eventually, those people succeeded.

Spoiler
    Show

This also leaves a great opening for including Edward Scissorhands in your campaign
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Megaduck View Post
    The four "original" races (the humanoids: Trolls, Elves, Dwarves and Orcs) are descended from four fairy brothers. Above them were the race of the centaurs, blessed by the gods with speed, and wit, and perfection of form.

However, some of the Centaurs felt sorry for the poor shivering fairy brothers and helped them steal fire from the gods.

Enraged at this betrayal the gods, split those centaurs in two, forming the races of man and horses. Only the pure and loyal centaurs kept their true divine form.

Since that day the cursed humans and horses have always had an affinity with each other and want to regain what they lost so that is why humans ride horses, imitating the centaurs.
    Ooh, that's good. ;D

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I like Mastikator's blessed idea (a tribe which sees horses as holy creatures would probably class becoming half horse to be a good thing). What are the stats for the Beastfolk race and are you altering any of the other races at all mechanicswise?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Megaduck View Post

This is better than my original idea, which is to say that some humans who loved to run asked the gods for intervention and they gave them the bodies of horses.
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    I like Mastikator's blessed idea (a tribe which sees horses as holy creatures would probably class becoming half horse to be a good thing). What are the stats for the Beastfolk race and are you altering any of the other races at all mechanicswise?
    The Beastfolk are basically those Dragon magazine Lupins (using 3.5 D&D here) and the Trolls are refluffed Goliaths. All the others are pretty much the same.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Lupins are one of my favourite races.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Zombie

After time in their new forms, one race was still angry and held contempt for the gods that removed from them their immortality. The descendants of this race had had enough of toiling and working so hard to just eat the plants of the land. One day one of the humans was in the forest and noticed how (insert god/dess of nature/animals) would use this space to visit with the unicorns.

This gave this human an idea, and returned to his family and decided on a scheme. The family set out to watch and learn when the deity would not be around and a good time to act would be. After gathering information the family set out to capture a few unicorns to help in their labor. Upon reaching the area a small herd of unicorns was found and the family made their move with some twined vine ropes. The youngest of the family befriended a coat and tried explaining their needs while the rest tied up others.

The timing could not have been worse for the humans as the deity had come to see the new colt and wish it well, and found what was going on. Angered by the humans trying to steal yet again, and after coming to wish the colt well finding it joining with the humans made a decision. The colt lost its horn and became what is today known as a horse and would lose its purity. The humans would again be changed and since they prized the strength of the animals would be given it as punishment and have to live as part horse as would their descendants henceforth.

To prevent future occurrences of this, the horse was cast out of the forest and into the world, and for her part the human girl was also transformed into a horse and they enjoyed being together still and their friendship resulted in the current worlds population of horses.

For a time both the centaur and the horse were prized as beasts of burden, but the centaurs fought back, and now have their place in the land as do the horse. No longer do many people remember this story, but no one ever tries to hunt a unicorn.

Sappy, quick and thrown together in a few minutes, but if it helps you run with it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurald should become an author! And write campaign settings (not stuff like FR and Eberron..., cool things like DarkSun!) I second his idea.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Shademan View Post
    greek mythos. centaurs come from a drunk and cursed guy screwing a cloud.
    or was that pegasus?
    ... no pegasus came from the blood of medusa. and also: he didnt...
    GAH! DAMN YOU GREEKS!
    Yeah. I'd say go for the one about the running. it sounds really good actually... almost like a real myth.
    kudos, Kurald!
    As long as no-one ask where the Minotaur came from, we're not getting in to much of the sick mythology.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2009-08-25 at 08:20 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #22

They all come from South Carolina. If you watched the daily show two weeks ago, you'd know what I'm talking about. (No, really.)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Centaurs are the original, natural race of the world. The four fairy brothers existed in a world parallel to the Centaur world, and stole fire from the gods to warm centaurs (who were an impious folk, wanting nothing to do with the gods who cared so little for them, but who had good relations with the faeries).

This would result in a world with more hexapods, as they're the natural form for this world.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #24

DwarfFighterGuy

When a human REALLY loves his/her horse a little too much....
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    When a human REALLY loves his/her horse a little too much....
    Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Gag: They come from Kazakhstan (where horse can vote, but woman cannot).

Serious answer: They were created at the same time as the common races and are simply a fact of life in the game world. That tactfully avoids the whole mess of competing Greek myth squick hypotheses.

Oh, and centaurs, mermen and fauns think it hilarious that humans having the bottom half of a bald monkey instead of proper locomotive members.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    I'd point out that centaurs have pointed ears and the attenuated, heroin-chic faces that points to an elven, not human, ancestry. Once again, it is proven that elves are liars.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2009-08-25 at 10:33 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

A druid wildshaped, and put a whole new meaning into the phrase "animal companion"

(Actually, this is my group's longstanding theory on where lycanthropy comes from)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe a female elven Paladin got too close to her "Special Mount" ?
    Last edited by Frosty; 2009-08-25 at 12:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Nope, just elves.