New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Epic Feats [P.E.A.C.H and suggest more!]

Other than the gripes below, I think most of the changes are good. I've talked to another friend regarding the balance of some of these feats, and it occurred to me that its very hard to agree on a sense of balance for epic play. For example, I feel that the +2 to critical multiplier trend is unbalanced and would be better if replaced by an improved critical range. From the discussion thus far, I feel that I have a stricter sense of balance than you, which is not necessarily good or bad, just different. My friend that I consulted has an even stricter sense than I, but at the same time I can't say he doesn't have points (by the way, he also really liked Spellstorm).

I wish there was a more concrete way to discuss epic balance than go back and forth with feat write-ups, but it seems this is the best way to do it. The problem is this method can only identifies that two people have different philosophies of balance, with no clear way to reach an agreement.

My biggest concerns with epic feats are selectability and establishing a fresh feel. By selectability, I mean the likelihood that a character would desires to have the feat enough to spend an epic feat slot on it, but also have alternative choices that are just as interesting an desirable. By "fresh feel" I mean feats that go a step beyond pre-epic feats. Feats that allow a character not to automatically fail on a 1, roll their good save in place of another, and give them permanent spell effects is approximately what I mean.

I'd like to carry on this discussion with that in mind. As a side note, I am deliberately avoiding all the Bard, Monk, Barbarian, Archery, and Tome of Battle feats in large part because I have not played any of these, nor have I seen them played for any meaningful amount of time in my gaming circles.

Epic Spell Penetration
    Giving the bonus to dispel checks is way too powerful, and is out of place. Plus, casters already have a functionality in place to increase the dispel bonus cap through meta-magic. Honestly, I think this feat is selectable just giving the +6 bonus, especially if they already have the requirements.

Improved (Ability)
    +5 seems like a bit much, especially when the original feat was +1. I'm willing to accept that +5 may be the best solution, but I would like to see a lower number play-tested first.

Improved Precision and Energy Strike
    I think Energy Strike was fine at a stacking +2d6. If you think in averages, this nets you 7 extra damage on every melee attack, which is better than Epic Weapon Specialization. Unless, of course,

If anything, Improved Precision should grant more or equal bonus dice, not less. It's harder to get sneak dice than energy damage dice (unless it's something like fire).

Reaping Whirlwind
    This might be a but much. This feat effectively replaces full attacks forever.

Free Spell
    Just make Multi-spell unstackable. I think this solution is preferable to making spells a free action, because introduces fewer mechanics. However, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this, as my solution vs. yours seems to be only a matter of taste.

Polymath
    First, what is Jack of all Trades? Second, this would cause a skill to become worse by putting a rank in it.

Self-Concealment
    Did you consider making this 20% and then 50%? It seems more consistent with existing trends that way.

Ghost Buster
    This is more of what I wanted from my earlier comments. While I have no comments at this point to make this stronger, this epic feat is equivalent to having a ghost touch weapon or a truedeath crystal, which makes it's selectability on the low side.

Spontaneous Domain Access and Spontaneous Spells
    I'll find the resources that have these. I'm pretty sure Complete Divine has a feat called "Domain Spontaneity".

Tenacious Magic
    I'll have more comments about this, but I think this needs to be compared to and balanced against Permanent Emanation. Which, by the way, doesn't seem to be included in your list.

Epic Blind-Fight
    I like the old version of this feat a million times better. I think the blindsight ability is better suited to a different feat chain, because very few characters would ever qualify for this feat with the blindsight requirement.

Epic Cleave
    I don't read this any differently from the original version.

Near Miss
    I still don't like it. I don't think it's overpowered per se, but it's not consistent with anything in the rules, and I can only imagine telling one of my players to reroll their 20.

Cut the Air
    I think a standalone feat that increased reach by 5 ft. is fine.

Counter Stance
    I read this as a soft immunity to melee attacks. To me it seems too powerful, and makes no sense to not take if you're a melee character.

Crippling Blow
    The slow effect really should have a save. In epic, a battle between melee characters would boil to having this feat and going first.

Agile Evasion
    My problem with this is that increasing a skill check is arbitrary. As a 21st-level character, you can have a tumble check of +50 without trying very hard at all, and there's a good chance you're taking 10 on it.

Hide from the Mind
    I liked the old version better. This one has too much meta-gaming.

Epic Grappler
    Given your explanation for the old version, I think this is a great replacement for the +10 verison.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Epic Spell Penetration
    Giving the bonus to dispel checks is way too powerful, and is out of place. Plus, casters already have a functionality in place to increase the dispel bonus cap through meta-magic. Honestly, I think this feat is selectable just giving the +6 bonus, especially if they already have the requirements.

Actually if all it gives is +6 it's pretty weak, there's a spell to give +10, no feat reqired. There's almost no way I'd take this as a caster even as it is, it's only useful for certain builds. If I can either get +5 to my casting stat, or +6 to my CL only when dispelling I know which I'd choose.

Improved (Ability)
    +5 seems like a bit much, especially when the original feat was +1. I'm willing to accept that +5 may be the best solution, but I would like to see a lower number play-tested first.

Well, if you wat to playtest a lower number and report back I'd be grateful, but I personally wouldn't even consider anything below +4, and +5 is a better number to work with.

Improved Precision and Energy Strike
    I think Energy Strike was fine at a stacking +2d6. If you think in averages, this nets you 7 extra damage on every melee attack, which is better than Epic Weapon Specialization. Unless, of course,

If anything, Improved Precision should grant more or equal bonus dice, not less. It's harder to get sneak dice than energy damage dice (unless it's something like fire).

+2d6 energy damage at a level when even the fighter can get energy immunity at the drop of a hat is never going to be worth a feat, and that damage doesn't even get multiplied on a crit.
    Precision damage is harder to negate, and most precision damage classes will be built to optimise their precision damage dealing.

Reaping Whirlwind
    This might be a but much. This feat effectively replaces full attacks forever.

The idea is that you can full attack multiple foes, but only if they're all in melee range. And it's at the end of a 6-feat chain. I will clarify no moving though, otherwise that could be abused.

Free Spell
    Just make Multi-spell unstackable. I think this solution is preferable to making spells a free action, because introduces fewer mechanics. However, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this, as my solution vs. yours seems to be only a matter of taste.

Mine tastes like strawberries.

Polymath
    First, what is Jack of all Trades? Second, this would cause a skill to become worse by putting a rank in it.

It's a feat.
    And good save! Fixed I hope!

Self-Concealment
    Did you consider making this 20% and then 50%? It seems more consistent with existing trends that way.

Hmm, well ok then. :3

Ghost Buster
    This is more of what I wanted from my earlier comments. While I have no comments at this point to make this stronger, this epic feat is equivalent to having a ghost touch weapon or a truedeath crystal, which makes it's selectability on the low side.

Fair enough. ^^

Spontaneous Domain Access and Spontaneous Spells
    I'll find the resources that have these. I'm pretty sure Complete Divine has a feat called "Domain Spontaneity".

The non-epic spontanious spell is only something like once a day as I recall.
    Spontanious domain I thought was an alternate class feature, as the feat is from WotC's own epic rules. The only feat I know of comes care of Eldariel, who wrote: "There's also a Divine Feat named Domain Spontaneity [Complete Divine], which allows burning Turn Undead-uses to spontaneously convert Domain-spells. You need to take it once per each Domain you want to use it for though."

Tenacious Magic
    I'll have more comments about this, but I think this needs to be compared to and balanced against Permanent Emanation. Which, by the way, doesn't seem to be included in your list.

Because it's too good or too bad?
    Emanation is gone because it seemed like one of those feats only worth takig to use in rules abuse.

Epic Blind-Fight
    I like the old version of this feat a million times better. I think the blindsight ability is better suited to a different feat chain, because very few characters would ever qualify for this feat with the blindsight requirement.

So, what would you do with it?

Epic Cleave
    I don't read this any differently from the original version.

Well, your issue was that it's use had to be declared in advance. That's not the case any more.

Near Miss
    I still don't like it. I don't think it's overpowered per se, but it's not consistent with anything in the rules, and I can only imagine telling one of my players to reroll their 20.

How is it inconsistent? And there are plenty of abilities to force rerolls already.

Cut the Air
    I think a standalone feat that increased reach by 5 ft. is fine.

As opposed to requiring cleave? I prefer the requirement, it rewards you for taking feat chains.

Counter Stance
    I read this as a soft immunity to melee attacks. To me it seems too powerful, and makes no sense to not take if you're a melee character.

If you miss it fails. If you prefer, perhaps it should only make the attack fail if the enemy attack roll is lower than your own?

Crippling Blow
    The slow effect really should have a save. In epic, a battle between melee characters would boil to having this feat and going first.

First they have to get a crit, and all it does is slow you. Slow is a third level spell, so an epic feat slowing with no save, but only on a crit to only one target, doesn't seem that powerful to me. o.o

Agile Evasion
    My problem with this is that increasing a skill check is arbitrary. As a 21st-level character, you can have a tumble check of +50 without trying very hard at all, and there's a good chance you're taking 10 on it.

Not in my games. I ban all items that boost skill checks, and it's a move in encourage all DMs to try. Besides, attack rolls of +50 won't be impossible at that level either.

Hide from the Mind
    I liked the old version better. This one has too much meta-gaming.

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

Epic Grappler
    Given your explanation for the old version, I think this is a great replacement for the +10 verison.

Oh, thanks. ^^
    Thanks for the input!

Updated; http://www.sendspace.com/file/p9fk0j

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Epic Resolve

Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +21, Str 25

Benefit: As a full-round action, the character may move at his/her full speed and completely ignore any mundane or magical effect that decreases his movement, including, but not limited to; black tentacles, ice storm, entangle, solid fog, difficult terrain, and any effect that creates difficult terrain. As part of this action, the character may attempt to burst through any wall effect, gaining a +10 bonus to the strength check, if it prevents or decreases movement, and leave a hole in his/her wake. However, this feat does not allow the character to break through force effects such as wall of force, forcecage, or resilient sphere.
    Am I right in thinking that this lets you ignore Prismatic Spheres? XD
    A bit too good I think.
    Epic Resolve

Benefit: As a full-round action, the character may move at his/her full speed and completely ignore any mundane or magical effect that decreases his movement, including, but not limited to; black tentacles, ice storm, entangle, solid fog, difficult terrain, and any effect that creates difficult terrain. As part of this action, the character may attempt to burst through any wall effect, gaining a +10 bonus to the strength check, if it prevents or decreases movement, and leave a hole in his/her wake. Any effects the character would encounter in his movement that do not affect the character's movement speed are resolved normally, such as a wall of dispelling, prismatic wall, or cloudkill. This feat does not allow the character to break through force effects such as wall of force, forcecage, or resilient sphere.

Basically, I add a clause that forces effects like prismatic wall to resolve normally as long as the effect doesn't affect movement speed. The description for this feat is getting really dense, so if anyone has suggestions to make it clearer and more brief, or have any other comments, please share.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Regarding Energy Strike and Improved Precision
    +2d6 energy damage at a level when even the fighter can get energy immunity at the drop of a hat is never going to be worth a feat, and that damage doesn't even get multiplied on a crit.
    Precision damage is harder to negate, and most precision damage classes will be built to optimise their precision damage dealing.
    Immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks is easily attainable through the heavy fortification enhancement. Not to mention, there are many non-NPC creatures that have immunity to several energy types as well as critical hits/sneak attacks. Even outside of blanket immunities, precision damage can still only be delivered in certain situations, which is not true of energy damage.

Epic Blind-fight
    I would leave this simply as ignoring concealment, with the only requirement being Blind-fight. This is a great feat for anyone that regularly makes attack rolls, and is something I would seriously consider for any melee character in epic.

As for the current version with the requirement of blind-sight, I am not even sure how I would qualify (pragmatically) any character short of having blind-sight from a racial ability. I'm not saying its too good, really bad, or otherwise, just that it has very low selectability because of its requirements.

There are still a few things I'd like to discuss about a few other feats, but not until I find the time to do some homework.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding Energy Strike and Improved Precision

Immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks is easily attainable through the heavy fortification enhancement. Not to mention, there are many non-NPC creatures that have immunity to several energy types as well as critical hits/sneak attacks. Even outside of blanket immunities, precision damage can still only be delivered in certain situations, which is not true of energy damage.
    Hmmm, I suppose making them both 3d6 could work.

Epic Blind-fight
    I would leave this simply as ignoring concealment, with the only requirement being Blind-fight. This is a great feat for anyone that regularly makes attack rolls, and is something I would seriously consider for any melee character in epic.

As for the current version with the requirement of blind-sight, I am not even sure how I would qualify (pragmatically) any character short of having blind-sight from a racial ability. I'm not saying its too good, really bad, or otherwise, just that it has very low selectability because of its requirements.

There are still a few things I'd like to discuss about a few other feats, but not until I find the time to do some homework.
    About blind fight, http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bli...C_5-ft._Radius :3

I look forward to hearing from you. ^^

Epic Resolve

Benefit: As a full-round action, the character may move at his/her full speed and completely ignore any mundane or magical effect that decreases his movement, including, but not limited to; black tentacles, ice storm, entangle, solid fog, difficult terrain, and any effect that creates difficult terrain. As part of this action, the character may attempt to burst through any wall effect, gaining a +10 bonus to the strength check, if it prevents or decreases movement, and leave a hole in his/her wake. Any effects the character would encounter in his movement that do not affect the character's movement speed are resolved normally, such as a wall of dispelling, prismatic wall, or cloudkill. This feat does not allow the character to break through force effects such as wall of force, forcecage, or resilient sphere.

Basically, I add a clause that forces effects like prismatic wall to resolve normally as long as the effect doesn't affect movement speed. The description for this feat is getting really dense, so if anyone has suggestions to make it clearer and more brief, or have any other comments, please share.
    Well, you might want to clarify the use of the word wall, it's contradictory, but the feat look good. ^^

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

Hm, I made a bunch for non-casters here. Some of them are completely insane (it's simply meant to be a counterbalance for Epic Spellcasting & al.), but others seem quite fitting here.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Hm, I made a bunch for non-casters here. Some of them are completely insane (it's simply meant to be a counterbalance for Epic Spellcasting & al.), but others seem quite fitting here.
    Oh, wow, I missed your post somehow! I'll have a look at those, thank you!