New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Lvl 10 diminutive character [3.5]

Hey guys. A friend of mine is making a small campaign. And I don't mean small as in the campaign size, i mean everyone is going to be the size category small.

I thought it would be interesting to get smaller. So tell me, how can I get to diminutive size, or the smallest size possible.

Any races or magic items welcome as long as they can be purchased by a level 10. Also class suggestions are fun too.

Thanks
    Last edited by penbed400; 2009-08-27 at 06:56 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine:
    A Dungeon where heroes were tested (Survival of the Fittest Modeule)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Lvl 10 diminutive character [3.5]

The spell Reduce Person shrinks you one size category, but doesn't affect your speed. Get that Permanencied, and you're good to go. The psionic power Compression can do so by either one or two(!!!) categories, and can be augmented to last longer. Both of these can be acquired by level one, and I believe they stack with one another. The Kobold's Slight Build ability also lets you count as a smaller size when advantageous, so you can slip through the tiniest cracks with all of this stuff up.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2009-08-27 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Awakened Rat is Diminutive and 2 HD, +0 LA. Funny thing about rats? They have thumbs.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Augmented Compression power can get you two size categories smaller.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Awakened Rat is Diminutive and 2 HD, +0 LA. Funny thing about rats? They have thumbs.
    You make me want to play a rat character now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    You make me want to play a rat character now.
    DO EET.

Here, racial stats:

Ability Adjustments: Str -8, Dex +4, Wis +2, Cha -4
    Size: Tiny
    Type: Magical Beast (Augmented Animal)
    Racial HD: 2 Animal HD (each 1d8, 2+Int skills)
    Speeds: 15' land, 15' climb, 15' swim
    Natural Attack: bite 1d3
    Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent
    Bonus Feat: Weapon Finesse

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

You know what's interesting? A Rat Druid can never actually turn into itself. I find that kind of odd.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, rat adventures ahoy! Rats make excellent adventurers, and also they are very endearing as French chefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    You know what's interesting? A Rat Druid can never actually turn into itself. I find that kind of odd.
    How's that? Lv 11: Wild Shape (Tiny)
    Isn't there some sort of fey with a level adjustment that's Tiny?
    ~Joe

PS - So there is - the grig. +3 LA is kind of steep, but you might get your DM to let you reroll the 1/2 racial HD as something better and the fiddle and spell-like abilities aren't too shabby. 40ft fly speed is pretty useful even with Poor maneuverability.
    Last edited by seedjar; 2009-08-27 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number
    This is for obvious safety reasons no doubt. Perhaps with the help of a heavy rubber mallet it can be done.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you have access to Ebberon material:

1) Primordial Half-Giant

2) Cast Return to Nature on him repeatedly.

3) Fine Giant.

4) ???

5) Profit!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Yes, rat adventures ahoy! Rats make excellent adventurers, and also they are very endearing as French chefs.

How's that? Lv 11: Wild Shape (Tiny)
    Isn't there some sort of fey with a level adjustment that's Tiny?
    ~Joe

PS - So there is - the grig. +3 LA is kind of steep, but you might get your DM to let you reroll the 1/2 racial HD as something better and the fiddle and spell-like abilities aren't too shabby. 40ft fly speed is pretty useful even with Poor maneuverability.
    Awakened Rats are diminutive, not Tiny, so an awakened rat druid, barring some feat I don't know about that probably exists, can't change into a normal rat.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by penbed400 View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to get smaller. So tell me, how can I get to diminutive size, or the smallest size possible.
    Hengeyokai shifting into Sparrow form, fine-sized, no LA. Size bonus +8, Dex bonus +6, naked AC 24. Start as a Warlock, and you have a +14 ranged touch attack to hit anything. Oh, and this is at ECL 1.

So, take Eldritch Glaive (Dragon Magic), Shorten Grip (Dragon Compendium), Underfoot Combat, and Confound the Big Folk. Enter an opponent's space with no AoO, and anyone who attacks you has a chance to hit your opponent instead. Next round, your opponent is flat-footed and you can unload all your iterative attacks on him. If your DM hasn't strangled you by now, take Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest or dip Binder for Naberius, and go into Hellfire Warlock.

Also another good Warlock pick, although this should work with any arcane caster as well: Start with a Tibbit (Dragon Compendium) Wizard/Sorcerer/Beguiler/Warlock, buy a human hireling Expert or Bard with Skill Focus: Perform (Acting). Pretend to be the familiar of the "human wizard". Convince the human hireling to promote himself as an "Arcane Duelist Extraordinaire!" (use Charm Person if need be), and challenge other wizards to a duel. Play up the rivalry, or cut your rival in on the deal. Cast some flashy spells, but the hireling takes a dive. Make sure you bet against yourself, and slink off to collect your profits. If need be, hire another hireling, rinse and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by penbed400 View Post
    Any races or magic items welcome as long as they can be purchased by a level 10. Also class suggestions are fun too.
    A Jermlaine (MM2, tiny fey, LA+0) might make an excellent Scout/Ranger Swift Ambusher. On the other hand, a Jermlaine Paladin that takes a dire rat as his mount (SLA lets them speak with animals at-will as long as it's a rat or dire-rat) also sounds fairly tempting.

Muckdweller (Serpent Kingdoms, tiny monstrous humanoid) is the only other tiny-sized LA+0 race... I don't know, the Squirt (ex) blinding ability kinda says Ninja but you can't Squirt and Attack in the same round. They get Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, so... Swordsage + Shadow Blade + TWF.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    If you have access to Ebberon material:

1) Primordial Half-Giant

2) Cast Return to Nature on him repeatedly.

3) Fine Giant.

4) ???

5) Profit!
    Dangit, that was exactly what I thought on seeing this thread! Too bad I was beaten to it. Yeah, oddly enough giant is one of the easiest ways to get a permanent diminutive character. Who woulda thought?
    Primordial isn't really necessary though, is it?
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!